XY OU Bulky, Not Husky: A Bulky Offensive Team

Hey Smogonites, I bring another OU RMT and it has been a while since I have played OU and WOW the meta has changed. I decided to make this team around Mega Hera since its viability has risen and I love bulky mons.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie --> Skill Link
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Attack / 216 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

So this is pretty much the standard Mega Heracross set, allowing it to out speed 44 Speed Rotom-W and Adamant Bisharp. Close Combat and Pin Missile for STAB and Rock Blast to take care of T-Flame and Zard Y on the switch in. I have Bullet Seed to take care of Rotom-W and Azumarill who may want to switch in and force a switch (and because I struggle a little with set up)

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Attack / 16 Defense
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Again, a pretty standard set for AV Azumarill, it allows me to take minimal SR damage with the 248 HP investments and max Attack to hit as hard as possible. I decided to add Azumarill to the team because at the point when I was making this team, I was thinking of ways to work around MegaCham, so I put AV Azu on the team.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

During most of this team building process, I was thinking of ways to check MegCham, so I decided to bring Latias to the team. Latias' EVs allows it to take any hit form MegaCham (except Ice Punch) and OHKO it right back with Draco Meteor. Latias is also my defogger, as well as my Healing Wish support, which helps Mega Hera a lot.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 156 Attack / 12 Defense / 220 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Superpower

At this point of team building I stopped thinking about MegaCham and realized that was quite weak to BirdSpam, so I decided to bring a mon who weakens it and beats it 1v1. This set allows me to dent many mons and add momentum to my team with U-Turn and breaks through Ferrothorn with Superpower. The EVs allow me to beat Zard X 1v1 after plus 1, while still hitting hard.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 HP/ 252 Attack / 180 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

With all the Psychic types in OU at the moment, how could I not have Bisharp. He is arguably the best Pursuit trapper and hits hard. The EVs allow him to outspeed 44 Speed Rotom-W, while investing in some bulk. He is also my switch into banded T-Flame locked into BB so I can Pursuit trap it and possibly get a KO in the process.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Attack / 168 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Tailwind

I was almost done with team building and noticed that my team wasn't necessarily weak to Mega Scizor, but struggled to beat it, so I decided to add Talonflame to the team. I decided to run Jolly nature because of the rising popularity of Magnezone and Jolly allows me to outspeed and KO it. Flare Blitz and Brave Bird for STAB and U-Turn to keep up momentum for the team. The great thing about Talonflame is that it always struggles to find a fourth move to fulfill that spot, so I decided to add Tailwind. Tailwind is great, as it allows my Mega Hera to double its speed and beat threats like Zard Y, Lati twins, and other mons it would otherwise lose to.

Threats:

Azumarill: It dents my whole team and I usually have to use my own Azu to beat it 1v1
Mixed Thundurus: Superpower + Knock Off + T-bolt has amazing coverage on my team
Scarfed Landorus-T: I usually have to wear this down with Azu and T-Flame priority and my own Lando-T
Magnezone: He hurts my team but I have Tflame and Lando to take care of him

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated :)

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie --> Skill Link
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Attack / 216 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Attack / 8 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

EVs: 252 Attack / 12 Defense / 244 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Superpower

Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP/ 252 Attack / 180 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Tailwind

Changes in Bold

Last edited:
Nice team you have here johnthuh... here are some suggestions...

1. Azumarill: Slight modification to the EV Spread should be 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def to allow it to less damage from weather and entry while providing slighlty better bulk on the SpD side to handle Greninja and Keldeo.

2. Talonflame: Since you want to outrun Magnezone... I would change the EV Spread to 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe as with this you can still out run a Timid Choice Scarf Magnezone and out "priority" Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack with your BB.

3. Landorus-T: Change the EV Spread to 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe. You will still outrun Mega Manectric and have some bulk to reliably switch in and cause some havoc. Also, replace Superpower < Knock Off as the Utility plus power backed by 145 Base Attack is to good ignore.

4. Drop Latias for:

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Softboiled
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Will-o-Wisp

MegaCham Hard Counter... enough speed to burn max Jolly MegaCross before it can bash you with Pin Missile. Everything else on the set is for longecity, hazard control and utility. I'm sure you can figure out whats what.

Let me know what you think.

Nice team ! But you don't have Stealth Rock ni your team so Stealth Rock > Pursuit. I agree with Rafael.
Good Luck :]

Nice team you have here johnthuh... here are some suggestions...

1. Azumarill: Slight modification to the EV Spread should be 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def to allow it to less damage from weather and entry while providing slighlty better bulk on the SpD side to handle Greninja and Keldeo.

2. Talonflame: Since you want to outrun Magnezone... I would change the EV Spread to 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe as with this you can still out run a Timid Choice Scarf Magnezone and out "priority" Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack with your BB.

3. Landorus-T: Change the EV Spread to 140 HP / 156 Atk / 212 Spe. You will still outrun Mega Manectric and have some bulk to reliably switch in and cause some havoc. Also, replace Superpower < Knock Off as the Utility plus power backed by 145 Base Attack is to good ignore.

4. Drop Latias for:

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Softboiled
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Will-o-Wisp

MegaCham Hard Counter... enough speed to burn max Jolly MegaCross before it can bash you with Pin Missile. Everything else on the set is for longecity, hazard control and utility. I'm sure you can figure out whats what.

Let me know what you think.

Thx for your suggestions. The reason I ran Superpower over Knock Off on Lando-T was that I already had two Knock Off users and it seemed a bit unnecessary, so I decided on Superpower. I'm on the fence with Mew because Latias provides Healing Wish support which has shown to be very useful, is overall stronger than Mew, and Mew is another Knock Off user which kinda bothers me; however Mew does counter MegaCham as you said and checks Mega Hera with Will-o-Wisp, so that is also something to take into consideration. Everything else I will change immediately and thx for the spreads.

As for running rocks on Bisharp, Pursuit trapping is great for this current meta and I don't plan on changing it to get some extra damage for switch-ins. I am fully aware that this team would appreciate rocks, so if I ever decide to then I will replace Latias with Mew w/ SR.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
This is a really good team you got here johnthuh, so there isn't really a lot to say about it. First off though, running a Jolly Nature with maximum Speed on Bisharp is, imo, the smarter choice. Seeing as how Pokemon such as Zapdos, bulky Manaphy and fast Heatran are commonly EV'd to outspeed Adamant base 70's, you get the edge on them when running a Jolly nature. While the loss is power is notable, you don't really need the extra power Adamant gives you, as you still OHKO Lati@s with Pursuit and still do heafty damage to Rotom-W and Clefable. I suggest you go back to using your original spread for Landorus-T, as you really need it to outpace and kill Scarf Excadrill, which yor team kinda setuggles with. I also think Superpower gives you valuable coverage your team needs, as you need it to take on Mega Gyarados once Azumarill is weakened. It also lets you take on Balloon Excadrill in sand, which also means big trouble to your team. Azumarill doesn't really gain anything for running 16 EVs in Defense, so I suggest you change the 16 EVs from Defense to Special Defense on Azumarill. This lets you take slightly less damage from Geeninja's Grass Knot and Keldeo's HP Electric, and while it's situational, it does more than what it does when invested in Defense.

There are some threats that stand out in particular as problems to your team. These are Mega Charizard X, Mega Venusaur and opposing Talonflame. Exchanging Talonflame for Physically Defensive Heatan would not only make these pokes much less of a problem, but also give your team a much needed Stealth Rock setter. With it would aldo give your team a way of phazing CM Clefable and taking on Mega Scizor, just like Talonflame did for you. The combination of Scarf Landorus-T and Heatran makes Mega Pinsir managable as well, which is quite the feat for any balanced team. Well, that's all I had, good luck woth your team :)

Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 12 Defense / 244 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Superpower

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Attack / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)