Bulky Set-Up Rage

Hello everyone. So I started out building this team around the Core of Physically Defensive Calm Mind Reuniclus and Specially Defensive Bulk Up Braviary. Then the I realized the weaknesses of the core because the inherent problems of a bulky set up sweeper is that you need to clear the threats from the opponent for them to set up which led to the creation of this team. I personally have been enjoying this playstyle of almost Bulky Offense. Also setting up has caused some many forfeits it's hilarious. Anyway onto the team.

Garbage Baby (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

So it all began with this guy. I couldn't believe how far Reuniclus has fallen this gen. But the basic jist of this set is be bulky as hell on both side. This in tandem with Magic Guard to beat stall. Psyshock hits on the Defensive side when needed also wins Calm Mind wars with Cressilia (stupid duck). Focus Miss is good coverage and once you'r at +6 either moves handles most pokes even ones that resist them and only thing that is immune to both moves is Spiritomb. But that is what the rest if the team is for.

'Murica (Braviary) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 208 SDef / 248 HP / 52 Spd
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

Next up is Reuniclus's buddy. Essentially the same idea as Reuniclus but on the opposite side of the spectrum. Together once enough threats are cleared either Braviary or Reuniclus set-up and win me the game. Brave Bird is the best STAB and tears through pokes. Sub to avoid status and help Bulk Up. Roost to heal off the damage from Sub & Brave Bird. Bulk to make you...well...BULKY! (sorry kinda obvious). Speed EV's are to outspeed 8 EV Gligar allowing Braviary to come in on a Defog and set-up a Sub to avoid a Toxic and proceed to Bulk Up and kill Gligar.

Butter Face (Druddigon) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Glare
- Fire Punch

I love this poke soooo much. It handles the 2 most annoying poke in the tier. Ampibom & Cinccino. Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin just deals so much damage on Ampibom's Fake Out or takes out Cinccinos when they go for tail slap. In general used to weaken physical attackers and take hits. Has Stealth Rocks because Stealth Rocks are MLG Pro. Dragon Tail to prevent set up sweepers and to get residual damage on the entirety of my opponents team. Sucker Punch offers much needed priority to this very slow team. Glare also helps spread Para to cripple pokes so that I can outspeed with my slow team and hax in my favor are always nice.

Fite Me (Hitmonchan) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SDef / 52 Atk
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Hitmochan is my Bulky Rapid Spinner. AV + recovery in Drain Punch is always a good combo. Atk & SDef EV's are so Hitmochan can take a hit from a Spec's Boomburst from Exploud and reatliate with a KO from Close Combat on Max HP Exploud. Ice Punch is for coverage (Mostly Gligar), But unsure if i want to replace is with Fire Punch to hit Bug/Steel's in the tier such as Escavalier or Durant or Run Thunder Punch to hurt Bulky water-types like Alalamola or Jellicent. Haven't made up my mind on the punches yet.

Raiju (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This guy is great. Helps patch up my Ice and Flying weakness in addition to giving me a plethora of other resistances while also providing an alluring ground weakness to give free switches into Braviary to start setting up. Acts as a great revenge killer and provides plenty of momentum and also very handy for dealing faster threats. Makes up for lack of priority on the team and can easily be revived by a wish from togetic so it can put it loads of work even with the lost bulk from not running eviolite.

Cutie Pie (Togetic) @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Amazing team supporter. A utility poke that serves as a great Special wall with the added bulk from Eviolite. Roost because it's great recovery that is welcomed to Eviolite pokes. Heal Bell because my team can easily be crippled by status and is very susceptible due to all my pokes being pretty slow gets rid of Burn on my Physical Attackers, Toxic if my opponent tries to stall me out, and Para on a poke like Reuniclus who really hate getting Paralyzed. Wish to provide health to my entire team because of their slow speed they are all going to be taking hits especially to give support to Magneton & Druddigon who lack recovery.

As for threats and issues with the team. Hyper Offense or teams with too many wall breakers can seriously put a dent into my team. For example, Specs Exploud can seriously dent my team. Offensive Taunters like Cobalion can also be difficult to play around. And knock off spam is also a very effective strategy to cripple my team.

Really have been enjoying using this team in RU especially because it is made up of a bunch of my favorite Pokes. Really wanted to show it off because I feel it is pretty good. would love for people too rate it, tell me their opinions on it and give me and advice on how to improve this team. also would appreciate is if someone could tell me how to create on of the clickable tabs so that I can put the import file in it without the file taking up too much room. Would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the import (No Nicknames) if you liked the team please use it.

Butter Face (Druddigon) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Glare
- Fire Punch

Garbage Baby (Reuniclus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

'Murica (Braviary) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SDef / 52 Spd
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

Fite Me (Hitmonchan) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Raiju (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Cutie Pie (Togetic) @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Last edited:
How have you ranked with this team? Anyway, I'm glad to finally see someone else has thought to use Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet to combat all the multi-hitters in this tier. It's odd how scarce it is. The team seems solid enough, but you haven't listed a lot of what you're having trouble with so I can only give advice on so much.

I would put Fire Punch on Druddigon since it can actually take the hits from the 'mons it will be killing. It sacrifices the priority of Sucker Punch, but I'll get to possibly mending that later.

I would leave Ice Punch on Hitmonchan so that way it can cover Gligar, since your team seems to be needing coverage for it. And Chan could spin away rocks that Glig could possibly set up. I'd say Thunder Punch, but Chan would not like a burn from Jellicent, and you already have Electric coverage with Maggy. You say you have Close Combat for Exploud, but I would think about switching it to Mach Punch. You could take a hit, attack with Drain Punch, then finish it off with Mach Punch, right? And that way you'd have some priority (that's more reliable than Sucker Punch). However, I'm not sure of the exact damage. You should do some calculations. But both Drain Punch and Mach Punch are boosted by Iron Fist, so it's worth looking into. If my rough calcs are right, Drain Punch would have 90 base damage and Mach Punch would have 48, so that'd be 138 total - more than Close Combat. But still do the damage calcs.

I would keep HP Grass on Maggy since you literally would have no other way of dealing with Gastrodon, and you already have a Fire coverage move on another mon.

Speaking of ways to deal with Gastrodon, do you think putting Toxic on Toggy in place of Dazzling Gleam would be worthwhile? I don't know if you're getting Taunted or what, but it seems like Toggy's Gleam would be pathetically weak.

Also, I don't know if you're having trouble with Knock Off, but you have 2 mons who would be pretty crippled by it, so maybe keep that in the back of your mind.

Anyway, I hope any of this was helpful, haha. Good luck.

With this team I can consistently rank up into the 1400's of RU. I agree with u on druddigon and changing out sucker punch for fire punch so i have more coverage on my team.

I run close combat so i can KO timid max speed exploud by sacking a mon coming in on full health living a specs boomburst and KO-ing with close combat. Not sure how common timid specs is but have run into it a few times and do not wanna get rolled by one mon.

I have fixed the lack of priority with scarfed magneton over bulky magneton.

I do wanna run toxic/t-wave on togetic but i just hate becoming taunt bait but i'm going to test it to see how it goes. as for gastro, not much trouble because gastro is set-up bait for reuniclus's calm minds so that is usually a good way of dealing with it.

Haven't run into too many problems with knock-off especially because reuniclus can usually live one and i an predict it and recover to reduce the knock-off to an un-harmful range

Oh, so you'd be faster than Exploud? That makes sense then. And scarfed Maggy seems like a good idea. I hope this team works out for you ^-^

i have been using this team for a little while now, and one thing that i have found to be better is running Magnet Pull and change to Hidden Power Fire on Magneton to switch in on the bug/steel types such as durant, excal, ect trapping them, and just spamming HP fire.

Last edited:
You could consider Aromatisse > Togekiss, which, while slightly impacting your bulk, takes out your stealth rocks weakness and provides decent offensive presence in the early game with moonblast, whereas Togekiss is walled by substitute/steel types. Additionally, this cuts down on Knock Off fodder, since at this point you're basically going to lose either Drudd or Hitmon's item, since nothing else can/wants to tank a decently powered knock off particularly well. Togetic's main niche is defog, so it seems a bit outclassed. Aromatisse also has higher HP wishes, which is a plus. Also aromatisse is immune to taunt through its ability, which is always a plus for a wall.

However, if you do choose to keep Togetic, 248 HP evs is superior due to 5 sr switch ins (unlikely, but quite possible for a sr weak mon).

i have been using this team for a little while now, and one thing that i have found to be better is running Magnet Pull and change to Hidden Power Fire on Magneton to switch in on the bug/steel types such as durant, excal, ect trapping them, and just spamming HP fire.
Generally speaking, this isn't actually the best idea:
Banded escavalier fails to be OHKO'd and KOs back with Drill Run (lol), although it does provide braviary set up. Assault Vest escavalier is even worse, not even 2HKO'd by HP Fire and being destroyed anyway by drill run. Additionally, since this is the team's main scarfer, it needs HP Ice to be able to revenge things like Altaria after a Dragon Dance and to avoid being walled by things like Drudd. Analytic is nice with volt switch since it can scout your opponent's switches at 1.3x power and deal damage.

However, that being said, I'm still unsure whether this is the best scarfer for you to run. Hidden Power ice is extremely weak, and so you can really only take out low health sweepers or electric weak mons (who probably won't stay in on Mag anyway). Consider a Scarf Magmortar > Magneton instead, giving you better coverage, a similar way to take out flying types bar Gligar (Thunderbolt, and Gligar doesn't want to take a fire blast anyway), and, if you run HP Grass, a decent way to lure Gastrodon as well. Additionally, Magmortar's higher speed stat than Magneton's allows it to outspeed mons who would be able to outspeed Magneton, such as several sweepers after a boost (anything higher than base 70 speed, a low tier), as well as pretty much any other scarfer that you'll commonly see in RU. Vital Spirit also nets a free switch in to amoongus or whimsicott's spore/sleep powder, for which you would otherwise have to kill your momentum and bring in your set up fodder Togetic to heal off.

Set:

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)