Bulky Team is Bulky! (UU)

This is my second RMT, and this team has been having a lot of success over the past week or two. I'm having a spot of trouble with it, though, and I hope that the RMT community can help me smooth it out.

Changes are in Bold Italics.

UU Bulky Team
This team is composed entirely of bulky attacking pokemon, allowing it to take hits easily and dish out damage to outlast the opponent.

The Lead

Nidoqueen @ Lum Berry
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/44 Spd/12 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam​

Nidoqueen is a really good lead for this team - she has good bulk, access to both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Her bulk pretty much guarantees that she can survive enough hits to set up both Stealth Rock and a layer or two of Toxic Spikes. Earth Power and Ice Beam offer great coverage, being resisted by nothing in UU, and hitting many pokemon super-effectively.

The Screen Support

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP/28 Def/216 Spd/16 SAtk/8 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt​

Uxie is a nice addition to the team, with wonderful defenses and HP and really useful typing, including the fabulous Levitate. Uxie can switch in on predicted or Choiced Ground and Fighting attacks with impunity and set up Reflect to further hinder physical attacking. Uxie's immunity to Ground can force switches, letting her set up Reflect if she hasn't already or use Calm Mind to prepare for an attack. Thunderbolt provides an answer to water types that would otherwise pose a problem to this team.

The Special Sweeper

Drifblim @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP/252 Def/88 Spd/124 SAtk/32 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]​

Chesto-Rest Drifblim is a great special sweeper, boasting several important features. First, Drifblim's amazing typing gives him immunities to 3 very common types - Ground, Fighting, and Normal, which lets him force switches and shift in without fear. Second, Drifblim has a godly HP stat, which lets him take heavy hits, even with the weakness to Stealth Rock. Third, the Chesto-Rest set lets him get off one to three Calm Minds, then use Rest to heal and double his speed to begin a sweep.

The Physical Sweeper

Wailord @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 60 HP/196 Def/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​

Rest-Talk Wailord is pretty much unstoppable once Electric and Grass types have been eliminated, and still powerful even if they remain in. Switch him in on a Fire, Rock, or Ground type and set up Curse on the switch (beware of Fire-types on Sunny Day teams, they tend to carry Solarbeam). Wailord hits hard and can soak up a lot of damage, making him a perfect match for this team.

The Other Physical Sweeper

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/120 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Hammer Arm​

Miltank is also a very capable physical sweeper, and boasts her own self-healing. Curse boosts her defenses and attack, and, when combined with Milk Drink makes her very hard to take down (especially considering that the super-effective Fighting attacks almost all target her great Defense stat). Body Slam provides STAB and a chance to paralyze, although I am considering Return for higher Base Power. Hammer Arm hits hard, and, when combined with Scrappy, gives Miltank perfect coverage, including hitting Spiritomb super-effectively.

The Intimidator

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 HP/168 Def/72 Spd/28 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower
- Roar​

Arcanine might be the team's weakest link, but still pulls its own weight. Intimidate and Will-o-wisp combine to devastate the enemy's Attack stat in just one turn, and also deals good damage over time. Flamethrower and Hidden Power [Grass] are only resisted by a few pokemon, and take out Grass and Water-types that would trouble Wailord. Roar helps to disrupt Baton Pass chains and set-up sweepers that would try to take advantage of this team's slow speed, as well as dealing Stealth Rock damage.

Some Information and Notes
I've only had trouble with two types of teams - Rain Dance and Sunny Day teams, and this is due to a lack of bulky Fire and Electric types. Both carry very fast pokemon that are not resisted by most of the team, which is a problem. Unfortunately, I don't know how to remedy this, especially because this team has won almost all of my other matches. With Flash Fire Arcanine and HP [Grass] on him, I should have less trouble with both weather teams.

This team is very slow, especially the pokemon with Curse. Because of how bulky this team is, this usually isn't a problem, but switching away from a faster, super-effective is frequently necessary. I don't have a problem with this, but it may be offputting to some.

I've been contemplating a minor tweak to the team - replacing Body Slam with Return on Miltank. I'm not sure whether to value Base Power more than Paralysis support, especially as nothing else (besides Arcanine) inflicts status. I'm not sure about the advisability of this change, so I thought I'd appeal to the RMT board while I'm posting the team.

So, fellow Smogonites, please rate my team!

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, lets see.

Nidoqueen is much better utilised as a Toxic Spikes lead. I recommend that you remove taunt from it's moveset, and add T-Spikes. Nidoqueen's not going to be taunting a lot of leads anyway.
If you feel that Taunt is essential, put SR on Uxie. Ahead of Calm Mind. Because if you're going to Calm Mind and attack with Uxie ... Mesprit does it better.

Wailord as a physical sweeper... I'm iffy about that. It may have large HP, but poor defenses. I recommend an Azumarill - it packs much more initial power, and has priority, and is also decently bulky.
Azumarill@Choice Band/Leftovers
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe Adamant
-Aqua Jet
-Return/Substitute
-Waterfall
-Superpower/Focus Punch

The slashed options are to be used with Leftovers, the first options are for use with a Choice Band. Try out both, and see which suits you better.

Rest Chesto Drifblim is a very nice idea, and I don't see the need to change it. BUT if it's not working, try out Sub CM Mismagius. It has the same coverage and Calm mind, but with lower speed(assuming Drifblim has Unburden activated). But it packs much higher Special Attack.

If you have problems with Sunny Day... change Arcanine's ability to Flash Fire. Arcanine benefits from the sun as well, and WoW ruins attack anyway.
Also, consider changing it's Hidden Power to Grass. It helps to hit Bulky Water switch ins.

Alright, lets see.

Nidoqueen is much better utilised as a Toxic Spikes lead. I recommend that you remove taunt from it's moveset, and add T-Spikes. Nidoqueen's not going to be taunting a lot of leads anyway.
If you feel that Taunt is essential, put SR on Uxie. Ahead of Calm Mind. Because if you're going to Calm Mind and attack with Uxie ... Mesprit does it better.

Wailord as a physical sweeper... I'm iffy about that. It may have large HP, but poor defenses. I recommend an Azumarill - it packs much more initial power, and has priority, and is also decently bulky.
Azumarill@Choice Band/Leftovers
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe Adamant
-Aqua Jet
-Return/Substitute
-Waterfall
-Superpower/Focus Punch

The slashed options are to be used with Leftovers, the first options are for use with a Choice Band. Try out both, and see which suits you better.

Rest Chesto Drifblim is a very nice idea, and I don't see the need to change it. BUT if it's not working, try out Sub CM Mismagius. It has the same coverage and Calm mind, but with lower speed(assuming Drifblim has Unburden activated). But it packs much higher Special Attack.

If you have problems with Sunny Day... change Arcanine's ability to Flash Fire. Arcanine benefits from the sun as well, and WoW ruins attack anyway.
Also, consider changing it's Hidden Power to Grass. It helps to hit Bulky Water switch ins.
I didn't think of Mesprit or Azumaril. I'll test those out over the weekend. I'm going to stay with Drifblim, because the chesto-rest set is working really well. I'm going to go with your suggestions on Arcanine, as well.

I'll edit the first post with the Arcanine changes now, and then with the results of my Mesprit/Azumaril testing when I'm done with it.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All right, I just played this team, and it has a HUGE CM Mismagius weakness. It sets up on everything except Arcanine and Miltank, and then destroys the rest of your team. Azumarill should really help stop this, with it's priority.

All right, I just played this team, and it has a HUGE CM Mismagius weakness. It sets up on everything except Arcanine and Miltank, and then destroys the rest of your team. Azumarill should really help stop this, with it's priority.
Ok, I'll try Azumarill now. I was testing out Mesprit, and really like the results. I'll update the first post after a couple of battles w/ Azumarill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)