(BW/OU) Bulky Offense

Introduction
Originally this team was a Bulky Offense team, however I revamped it Decemeber 29th, 2011. The team is now a Balanced team that has a lot less weaknesses and is all around better. I was discouraged in not having a good RMT on Smogon, so I changed this one all around. If I could Rename this team it would probably be called something like Psychic Fury or Retaliation seeing as to how the team has so many psychics and was very old before the revamp.​

Team At a Glance

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 88 Def / 104 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

This team couldn't be complete without Mr. Inelastic himself Tyranitar! This specific set is one of my various defensive Tyranitar sets. The amount of bulk allows Tyranitar to take CB Scizor's Uturn/Bullet punch with comfortable hp left for a possible fodder later on. His speed allows him to outspeed some Scizor spreads, Jellicent, and other tyranitars to ensure SR is set and a possible KO is made. The bulk also allows Tyranitar to handle adamant Dragonite's Outrage even after rocks, so I can roar it and Haxorus with comfort. I am currently running fire punch instead of fireblast/flamethrower, because the speed is crucial on a set like this and in order for flamethrower (which is preferred because of accuracy) to ohko all of the time a prohibiting speed nature would be required so Crunch can do a reasonable amount of damage.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam

Jirachi plays many roles in the team, which is why it was given Fire Punch for Magnezone, who would otherwise set up on/ slowly kill Jirachi. Jirachi is the team's Speicial Defensive pokemon, its wish passer, and Jirachi cripples the opponent's team with paraflinching and a 20% chance burn. This makes Jirachi defensive and offensive. Fire Punch of course gives Jirachi an edge on Steel types like Lucairo and Scizor.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
- Roost
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Skarmory adds more hazards to the team. He's the team's defensive wall, which covers scizor (mostly) and hazaorus. This Skarmory isn't brave however and has the move Toxic instead of BraveBird. Toxic is for poisoning very specific pokemon like Rotom (all forms), Jellicent, Politoed, and other bulky threats that my team can't immediately KO or avoid. Toxic is quite surprising and takes the place of Roserade's Toxic Spikes that the team used to have.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 56 SAtk / 76 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Recover
- Nasty Plot

Celebi replaced Roserade. Celebi's role is to hit hard while taking out specific pokemon like heatran, tentacruel, jirachi, and conkeldur. Adamant payback without a boost does about 66% to this spread, which is a lot but won't stop me from using nasty plot and ohkoing with psychic. The speed is just for outspeeding timid Heatran and adamant Lucario. I didn't see much need for hidden power fire on this set because the team has plenty of fire moves that may or may not catch the opponent by surprise. Celebi also helps me gaurd against breloom, which is why I added a decent amount of defensive evs.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band - Suggested by Snorlaxe
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Brick Break

Dragonite is the latest and best dragon for this position. Dragonite more solidly provides me a solid counter to the volcarona problem, while still having the same resists as Latias, which are fighting, ground, water, grass, and fire. Dragonite's power is perfect for adding more physical attack power to the team, which it lacked with the other two lati's. Choice Band Dragonite has wish and spin support on this team so he's perfect for this team. Dragonite has brick break instead of earthquake because of the occasional screen team I encounter.

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP / 140 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Starmie is a pokemon that I would put on just about any team as far as weather is concerned and other various types of teams. It can't pull off a whole lot but without that many good spinners out there in the current meta Starmie's becoming more and more essential from my experience. In this team Starmie is a spinner that covers Dragonite and Heatran of course. Recover is useful even though I have a wish passer, because the team won't have trouble with waters while in sand. Starmie's slight bulk allows it to take moves like earth power, bullet punch, and water moves that it might be switched into. I added more sp atk and took off some hp based on Snorlaxe's 252 sp atk 252 speed suggestion.

Former Members:

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- Aromatherapy
- Rest
- Energy Ball
Roserade is a very interesting pokemon on my team. I went with max speed on such a bulky team so I could use Sleep powder and rest or heal my teams statuses while the opponent sleeps or switches.Roserade carries aromatherapy also which I figured was best so that bronzong can recover from sleep which helps a lot because zong is now healthy. Not only that but latias gets poisoned or burned often when putting up reflect. Energy ball is there for what ever rose may hit super effectively. Considering I send rose out a lot on special attacking water types. Roserade also picks uo Toxic Spikes which means I don't have to spin them away with Starmie. Happily Rose is my last fire weakness on the team!

Roserade was just unnecessary support that took up too much space in the team. I realized it needed to be able to take heatran, but it couldn’t be bulky with specs. So I decided to replace roserade with Celebi, who didn’t have to be supportive at all.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
This Latias set is meant to help me abuse spikes while gaurding against pokemon that set up cm themselves. It roars out reuniclus ( a threat to the team) and builds up offensive power at the same time. With enough speed to outspeed garchomp its physical counters are little. For special attackers I have tyranitar and sp def rachi.

Latias ended up with hp fire, roar, recover, dragon pulse. This set was too weak unfortunately regardless of the pokemon it handled like scizor and rotom-W. More power was necessary for this position on the team.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf
- Draco Meteor

Latios replaced Latias on this team. Latios provides the team with the power it needs to sweep other teams. Whether it's by staying in and crippling a team, sweeping late game, or switching in and out Latios plays this role well. Latios Also KO's offensive Volcaronas, which the team is weak to. I know a check that doesn't have a scarf can't always prevent this, but if I play well volcarona will get stopped dead in its tracks. Latios is Latios there isn't much else to say about this average beastly set other than it helps cover against rain and sun rather well.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reuniclus is a big threat, Jirachi could help that in the place of Bronzong, but if you to do that it'd be very hard to find another way around it imo.

Nice Team

Reuniclus is a big threat, Jirachi could help that in the place of Bronzong, but if you to do that it'd be very hard to find another way around it imo.

Nice Team
besides 4x resisting psychic, how in the world does jirachi counter reunculus?

Specially defensive Jirachi is a very reliable switch-in to Reuniclus. It can threaten with Body Slam paralysis + Iron Head and heal up with Wish in the process. If you want to fit it in over Bronzong, use 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd with a Careful nature and a moveset of Iron Head / Body Slam / Wish / Fire Punch. Jirachi covers a lot of specially based threats and provides Wish support, which (as you have stated) is very helpful. The extra Fire coverage is also pretty useful for hitting stuff like Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Latias would probably be better off with a simple 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd Timid Calm Mind set. It provides you with a late-game stat up sweeper to take advantage of your entry hazards. Reflect is suited towards more defensive sets, so CM is definitely the better fit here.

That Tyranitar set tends to work better with a Quiet nature. The boost to SAtk is more useful than the extra special bulk, especially if you decide to run Jirachi. I'd also recommend the official EV spread of 252 HP / 60 Atk / 176 SAtk / 20 Spd for the extra power. Good luck!

Teams looks good.
Scizor might be a threat, considering you have Starmie (Pursuit and Bug move weak) Latios (same) and Ttar (Bullet Punch, bug move) Roselia (Bug move).
Idk, I can't think very straight right now. I'm exhausted.
Do what you will with my rate.

Teams looks good.
Scizor might be a threat, considering you have Starmie (Pursuit and Bug move weak) Latios (same) and Ttar (Bullet Punch, bug move) Roselia (Bug move).
Idk, I can't think very straight right now. I'm exhausted.
Do what you will with my rate.
thats what fire punch jirachi is for (if he decides to use it)

Rosalie is too frail/plus that set is god awful it's like you give your opponent a one poke advantage off the start. Use the standard lead set for god's sake

Rosalie@Focus Sash
Timid
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
-Toxic Spikes
-Sleep Powder
-Leaf Storm
-Hp fire

Switch Tyranitar to KG's set

Tyranitar@Expertbelt
Quiet (+Sp. Atk / - Speed)
252 HP/ 216 Sp. Atk / 40 Sp.Def)
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
-Crunch/Pursuit/Superpower (I always go for Crunch in order to atleast make opposing reuniclus's think twice about staying in..) The expert belt is going to cause confusion in the opponent as long as you don't lay out rocks right off the bat.

If you make that change change SR on Skarm to spikes.

I honestly think you should change zong to something that can resist thunder aka gliscor which can help your skarm out a great deal.

I think starmie is a waste of space and should be replace with a jellicent to block opposing spin blockers which is going to be what hurts you the worst. With every kind of spikes on your team your going for more of a balanced stall team. but if you still want a spinner i suggest you change starmie to tentacruel. I hope you listen to these changes

TL;DR
You're wasting Roserade's talent of being an amazing lead/ Starmie is fail in this metagame because of Ferrothorn/Tyranitar/Scizor and you're investing alot of unnessecary bulk in Tyranitar and losing the offensive power he is capable of.

I am definately going to take the jirachi set in mind for sure. This team is no where near as good as I thought it was at first so I will definately test all suggestions ty.

This team is extremely reun weak I might just drop it all together :(

Cool team. Reuniclus has been outlined as a large threat but I think this is an easy issue to fix. First off, you're going to want Jirachi over Bronzong. It can set up Stealth Rock and pass Wishes (which will help keep Tyranitar alive), which will let your Skarmory drop SR for Spikes. Rachi also serves as a backup check to Reuniclus by using the paraflinch technique.

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Careful | EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD
Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Body Slam / Iron Head

The other thing I recommend using is a different set on Latias. Faladran mentioned a purely offensive set, but Latios is more suited for that kind of role and you need Latias' bulk. I recommend using a moveset of Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse | Roar | Recover. This way, you can CM up to +6 along Reuniclus and then phaze it out, proceeding to sweep through their team with a maxed out Latias. It also abuses your multiple hazards to the max. A spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe (outruns Jolly max Garchomp) with Timid should be sufficient. Good luck!

Thanks for the rate this is by far the best suggestion I will test the team asap. Jirachi will allow me to add another pokemon to the team instead of rose. This is a great way to cover random weaknesses my team has. Also wish passing will allow me to add a 4th move to tyranitar and swapping super power for focus punch. Thanks a lot now my team will be much more efficient and consistent :3

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I suggested that first :(
But yeah, Wish is an option over Stealth Rock if you dont want it on the team. It could provide support for Bronzong and free up the Rest moveslot too.

I know you suggested it first on chats I gave you credit :3 (But BKC and Faladran gave me more details that were vital to a set appropriate for my team.
But yeah I went with wish over thunder wave and kept body slam iron head SR
Ghosts are not a problem for rachi so I felt that body slam was good enough for slowing down pokemon.
Now the only problem for the team is that besides scizor it is bug weak. The biggest threat is volcarona. The performence of the team is much better now and much more consistent than before as far as how much I win.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
volcarona looks to give you an immensely hard time, as it can pretty much OHKO your entire team with just fiery dance and bug buzz after it sets up one quiver dance. the popular scizor + rotom-w "switch-turn" offensive combo also seems like it could give you a really tough time, as you have four pokemon who are weak to u-turn. your only u-turn resist, skarmory, takes huge damage from rotom-w's volt switch though, so it isnt too reliable of a way to deal with such cores. in order to fix both of the aforementioned problems, i think you should run choice band dragonite over latios. CBnite works well on this team for two main reasons: 1) it resists both of volcarona's STABs, and doesnt really care about switch-turn cores thanks to its u-turn resistance and great bulk. 2) it gives you a good physical attacker that can hit really hard right off the bat, something your team currently lacks. so use a set of outrage / extremespeed / fire punch / earthquake, an ev spread of 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe, and an adamant nature with the ability multiscale.

so for smaller changes....first off, i dont see the need for ttar to be so physically defensive. you already have skarmory to sponge pretty much every physical attack in the game, so i think ttar can afford to be more specially bulky. just move the 88 defense evs into special defense, and use a careful nature. so uh just wondering...what do the 32 speed evs on skarmory let you beat? since you dont need to worry about wobbuffet thanks to shed shell, i would just go for a simple 252 HP / 252 Def spread. i also think that your celebi set could do with some changes. why not go for a standard set of nasty plot / giga drain / hidden power fire / earth power? this lets you deal with all the pokes youre concerned about, as well as smash ferrothorn, who looks like he could wall a lot of your team atm. the only mon you lose out on being able to kill with this set is conkeldurr, but hes already handled really well by a bunch of your other pokemon. i also really dont think celebi's defense evs are necessary at all, because breloom is already handled really well by skarmory (and celebi can still check breloom well even without defense evs....). i would say just move the defense evs into special attack to hit harder, especially since youre not running a modest nature. finally, i really dont see the need for extra bulk on starmie, as even with the HP investment it's still frail as hell, and you already have a ton of bulky teammates to take hits for you. just go with a normal 252 Spe / 252 SpA spread instead.

-- replace latios with choice band dragonite
-- on tyranitar, move the 88 defense evs into special defense and use a careful nature
-- on skarmory, just use a 252 HP / 252 Def spread
-- on celebi, replace recover with giga drain, and replace psychic with hidden power fire. also, move celebi's defense evs into special attack
-- on starmie, use a simple 252 Spe / 252 SpA spread

nice team overall, and good luck man!

I will test the Dragonite solution. I was looking for another dragon that wasn't weak to bug to put on the team, but I didn't want to add Dnite. I guess he's my only choice.

As far as Tryanitar's set I felt no need for Skarmory taking around 50% damage from +1 adamnt fire punch from dnite and I also felt that sp def Jirachi was all I needed to the sp def area along with Celebi for water pokemon. Thus defensive roar for lighting Skarmory's load was a good idea. It is also the spread I use on other variants of that Ttar, which have been very successful so I've just stuck with it.

32 speed evs on Skarmory outspeeds Jellicent before it can taunt in many cases.

What psychic on Celebi is better for this team, so I can KO the pokemon I listed. Gigadrain would just be for waters that will die to a boosted psychic regardless and Tyranitar won't be a problem unless he has CB pursuit + At +4 I would KO Tyranitar I'm sure at least after rocks.

I will test standard 252 252 Starmie. Thanks.

Your team is solid overall with no major weaknesses, I like the construct of it and might consider doing something similar soon.

I'd like to echo though giving TTar Ice Beam to kill those Dragons and making Starmie a Timid 252 SPA/252 Speed and give it Psychic instead of recover to give a good neutral stab or in case you felt hungry for Conks/Terras, which can get pretty annoying if you don't OHKO on the fly.

Celebi is my top counter for Conkeldur and Starmie can revenge if necessary. It shouldn't be however considering Tyranitar or Skarm can phaze Conkeldur, one by surprise and Skarm by the obvious.

Thanks for the rate it definately makes me happy to have an experienced player comment so highly of my team. Especially after the original RMT sucked haha.

Roar takes the place of icebeam on Tyranitar for a few good reasons. One because a lot of teams don't expect it and try to set up +2 or more on Tyranitar. Another is because after SR is up the offensive pokemon of the meta are now taking 2 SR entries hopefully. I figured with Espeed and starmie + the two phazers one icebeam user was enough. All of the 12.5s or 25s add up for decent damage against the opponents team from the start.

Moo

Professor
Really solid team! The only thing that I can think of is that you're kinda Terrakion weak (what team isn't?). There isn't much you can do to remedy this without completely messing up your synergy, but if I had to suggest a change it would be Gliscor over Skarmory.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Gliscor is a pretty safe switch-in to Terrakion. It can take any move easily, except for Stone Edge, but if you switch in on a Choiced Stone Edge, you can just protect to waste its pp and then go to Jirachi. Gliscor is still a great physical wall, so all is not lost without Skarmory, although you might miss your Spikes. With Swords Dance, Gliscor can easily set up and break down stall-based teams. Try it over Skarmory, and see if it helps you against Terrakion

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
moo, how is he weak to terrakion? if it's a swords dancer, starmie outspeeds and OHKOes. if it's a rock polish variant, jirachi can tank whatever it throws at it and smash it with iron head. double boosters will only get a chance to use one move, and depending on what boosting move it uses, this team will be able to respond accordingly. choice scarf terra will just be raped by jirachi and effortlessly phazed out by skarmory, while choice banders are, once again, outsped and KOed by starmie. yeah terrakion is tough to switch in on for his team, but that is literally true of every single team that doesnt pack a gliscor pretty much lol. you said it yourself: what team doesn't struggle with terra in some way? i dont think its worth losing skarmory's dragon resist and the ability to set up spikes just so he has a perfect counter to terrakion, a pokemon who doesnt even threaten his team too badly.

Moo

Professor
moo, how is he weak to terrakion?
Yeah terrakion is tough to switch in on for his team, but that is literally true of every single team that doesnt pack a gliscor pretty much lol. you said it yourself: what team doesn't struggle with terra in some way?
Uh.....

Yeah, that's why I suggested Gliscor. It has disadvantages, like losing Steel typing and Spikes, but it also has the added benefit of breaking stall and being a decent switch-in to most terrakion variants. He asked me to rate the team and I did. It was only a suggestion, nothing is set in stone....

Whoa, whoa you guys are throwing a lot of stuff in the pan. In total with both views and my own experience with Terrakion in account I would say that losing a steel and spikes would be a greater loss. Terrakion will lose to Starmie and Jirachi in most cases. Thanks for both of your rates and comments. I like positive feedback and decent suggestions.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Whoa, whoa you guys are throwing a lot of stuff in the pan. In total with both views and my own experience with Terrakion in account I would say that losing a steel and spikes would be a greater loss. Terrakion will lose to Starmie and Jirachi in most cases. Thanks for both of your rates and comments. I like positive feedback and decent suggestions.
Starmie can revenge Double Booster Terrakion provided it hasn't used Rock Polish [Jirachi has a 75% chance of being OHKO'd as it stands], and Scarf is a bit too weak to pose a real threat, but the others are right in saying Choice Band Terrakion is deadly in that its dual STAB of Close Combat and Stone Edge can completely rip through this team. Your Starmie build takes 96.55% - 113.79% from CB Stone Edge, undoubtedly KOing it with Sandstorm up, while Jirachi is 2HKO'd by CB Close Combat and is generally a bad switchin.

Obviously, throwing in a Gliscor will hurt the team's synergy quite a bit, so it seems like playing mind games with Terrakion while laying hazards is your best bet. I've mulled over a ton of possible ways to beat it or better insure against it and the best one that came to mind was Defensive Tangrowth over Celebi [which can hit all the threats you mentioned supereffectively], but it's quite redundant with Skarmory.

Either way, I really love Toxic on Skarmory, but it leaves this team extremely vulnerable to Haxorus with Taunt and Dragon Dance [Swords Dance too, but at least it can be revenged]. Tyranitar takes 80.2% - 94.31% from +1 Jolly LO Haxorus outrage, which isn't the best defense against it. I'd suggest putting Brave Bird back on Skarmory so you could at least put Haxorus in KO range for Dragonite's extremespeed.

Solid team and good luck!

Starmie can revenge Double Booster Terrakion provided it hasn't used Rock Polish [Jirachi has a 75% chance of being OHKO'd as it stands], and Scarf is a bit too weak to pose a real threat, but the others are right in saying Choice Band Terrakion is deadly in that its dual STAB of Close Combat and Stone Edge can completely rip through this team. Your Starmie build takes 96.55% - 113.79% from CB Stone Edge, undoubtedly KOing it with Sandstorm up, while Jirachi is 2HKO'd by CB Close Combat and is generally a bad switchin.

Obviously, throwing in a Gliscor will hurt the team's synergy quite a bit, so it seems like playing mind games with Terrakion while laying hazards is your best bet. I've mulled over a ton of possible ways to beat it or better insure against it and the best one that came to mind was Defensive Tangrowth over Celebi [which can hit all the threats you mentioned supereffectively], but it's quite redundant with Skarmory.

Either way, I really love Toxic on Skarmory, but it leaves this team extremely vulnerable to Haxorus with Taunt and Dragon Dance [Swords Dance too, but at least it can be revenged]. Tyranitar takes 80.2% - 94.31% from +1 Jolly LO Haxorus outrage, which isn't the best defense against it. I'd suggest putting Brave Bird back on Skarmory so you could at least put Haxorus in KO range for Dragonite's extremespeed.

Solid team and good luck!
The solidity of the team pretty much depends on solid counters, which Skarm provides on the defensive end. Toxic is just support and gladly I haven't run into any DD taunt Haxorus. If I were to run into one I guess I'd have to use struggle until haxorus is in Espeed range lol. Haven't seen Terrakion lately, which is weird.

As far as Sand + multiscale nite. I'm not really worried about it. Sometimes I'm up against rain and I'm just switching in to EQ or Outrage, which leaves the ability until damage is done. Multiscale is basically just there for use if I spin rocks. One turn could changed the whole game however so its good to have. Just Insurance I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)