Cacturne

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
will update this in a few days.

currently have to clean dorm for final inspection, study for 2 exams, move to a house on may 1 (i still dont know where i'm living) and settle in + find job.
safe to say, my mind is pretty far from this cacturne thread for the next week. Hopefully I'll have it all up to snuff may 2nd.

hell, maybe a miracle will happen, and I'll have it done sometime before may; however that's unlikely.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looking better, a few more things and you're good to write it up.

When you write it up, try to be a bit less specific with the information in the overview - there are a few ovespecific points there.
SAtk -> SpA
  • Giga Drain gives Cacturne a way to recover health lost from Substitute and Life Orb while offering it a powerful Grass-type attack.
Remove the mention of sub from this sentence since its no longer slashed and place the part about it being a decently powerful grass attack first, since you dont get that much recovery from Giga Drain.
  • Spikes is great in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to work as an offensive Spikes setter by using Spikes on a predicted switch to a check or counter such as Mega Audino, Mawile, or Hariyama.
In response to "What is there to actually say about the move Spikes on a spike-stacking set?", when you talk about spikes in moves for sets 1 and 3, say something like "spikes quickly wears down grounded pokemon on the opposing team" to describe it.

In usage tips be sure to mention all the moves on set, for example add a sentence / bullet point about setting up spikes on a forced switch.

Team options for mixed attacker needs some beefing up.
For example, list some wallbreakers or late game cleaners that appreciate cacturne's spikes and wallbreaking (moreso the former reason).

**Fairy-types**: Togetic can come in versus any set and threaten to 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic walls both the Swords Dance set and the mixed set, effectively making Cacturne useless, barring the rare Poison Jab. Granbull also does an effective job of tanking any hit from the SD set; however, it must watch out for Giga Drain from the mixed set. Mawile can also switch into any attack either set wants to throw at it, but it can't take repeated assaults very well.
"Assaults" is slightly unclear, what should be added here is that offensive mawile is always 2hkoed by LO dark pulse and defensive mawile needs a bit of chip damage before it can be 2hkoed by dark pulse. Saying mawile can switch into any attack both sets want to throw at it isnt 100% true, say that it is a full counter to the sd set and a soft check to the mixed set.

This isnt that much to fix, so after the above is done you have

QC Approved 2/3

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
this is done and ready for last check .

(oh wait i forgot that using the ability grass storm is better on Cacturne cause it outdamages the better other ability by 0.5949849% if the opponent doesnt have leftovers fsr)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
A late suggestion, but Substitute on SD Cacturne just opens up a whole new style of play. SD Cacturne usually suffers when facing certain Grass resists (Gourgeist being a huge example) that can cheese their way out of Sucker Punch, take Seed Bomb / Drain Punch, and cripple Cacturne with status. Dropping Drain Punch for Substitute lets Cacturne not only evade status, but also force its opponent to walk directly into Sucker Punches. Sub also provides a nice buffer against faster foes, and is its best way to take advantage of opponents who switch into Grass resists as Sucker Punch won't work on them on the switch. That said, Life Orb doesn't combo well with Sub so you'd have to drop its power by slashing Leftovers in there.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Raseri did
I have to ask though, is this some kinda silly joke by the qc mods? the "new update format" is just a bunch of excess bold-abuse everywhere, with the removal of the set name with just the word [SET]. also, square brackets around every heading just seems really unnecessary.. I'm all for a good meme, but this is another one of those smogon decisions that make me wonder why I even bother anymore :|

anyway, edits are made

Punchshroom, did

i dont like the last sentence of the overview because the first set is primarily a special attacker.

In moves on set 1, mention Xatu as a Dark Pulse target. Ballsy Xatus might try to get in on a Spikes. Also mention that Sucker Punch has utility in revenge killing set up sweepers

SD set:
Klinklang not Klingklang
Don't say that Leftovers should be chosen, say that it can be chosen if running Sub. SubSD with LO is still viable
weaken not waken water-types, another typo :)

I'm not sure where to mention it, but I think somewhere on the first set you should mention that Cacturne usually has a positive matchup vs Huntail smashpass teams, because the primary recepioent (magneton) is 2HKOD by Dark Pulse + Sucker Punch.

otherwise 3/3

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm not sure where to mention it, but I think somewhere on the first set you should mention that Cacturne usually has a positive matchup vs Huntail smashpass teams, because the primary recepient (magneton) is 2HKOD by Dark Pulse + Sucker Punch.
It ain't just Magneton; just about every SmashPass recipient takes major damage from Dark Pulse + Sucker Punch (including Mawile). Of course, Huntail could adapt by packing a move that beats Cacturne, and I was serious about Adamant Double-Edge Huntail, js.

Also, no mention of Encore forcing Cacturne to use Sand Veil due to its incompability with Water Absorb (which heavily limits its otherwise decent viability). Fix that pls.

Edit: CanadianWifier some more things. First, Spiky Shield in OO. Second, priority attackers should get a mention in C&C, as they can bypass Sucker Punch. Mons like Sneasel, Fletchinder, Zangoose, Kangaskhan, etc. can dodge Sucker Punch, and even slower users such as Gurdurr and Piloswine can force the Sucker Punch to avoid taking a stronger hit from Cacturne's Grass-type moves. However, make a strong note that Aqua Jet users such as Kabutops and Carracosta do not have that luxury.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fletch needs a mention in C&C, it shits on every set except mixed

Thunder Punch in OO, it gives SD Cacturne a way to hit Flyers on the switch since Sucker fails if they're switching in

You talk about Sub in UT for mixed but it's not slashed, change those sentences to talk about Spikes and DBond

Also idk why you're complaining about the new formatting, it takes like 30 seconds to change it and I'd say bringing back Overviews / OO / C&C is worth that much lol

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Fletch needs a mention in C&C, it shits on every set except mixed

Thunder Punch in OO, it gives SD Cacturne a way to hit Flyers on the switch since Sucker fails if they're switching in

You talk about Sub in UT for mixed but it's not slashed, change those sentences to talk about Spikes and DBond

Also idk why you're complaining about the new formatting, it takes like 30 seconds to change it and I'd say bringing back Overviews / OO / C&C is worth that much lol
wait you mean with the zero amount of changes I made to the formatting, smogon reps finally decided that they'd include the previously "for funzies" overviews I was writing?! cool!

no seriously, the "new" format shouldnt change anything, it's not harder to implement new algorithms that read thew old format than it is to change headings to comply with the new.

will imp. changes later

how bout we try being less of a douche about something you can't even prove? This is seriously your last fucking warning

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
stuff
how bout we try being less of a douche about something you can't even prove? This is seriously your last fucking warning
lol, my last warning comes after one post. i forgot people can't speak about their opinions on this site.
I guess my point is, blast, that no it's not hard to implement, but why should I have to at all. It changes nearly nothing. whatever.

sigh, this is the last time i'm writing anything about this, but if it was so easy to "implement new algorithms that read the old format" do you not think the admins would have done that?

anyway implemented all the above sugs, have fun with this one gp

Last edited by a moderator:

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck

additions
deletions
comments

[OVERVIEW]
Cacturne is a powerful mixed attacker with access to multiple boosting moves, and to priority in the form of Sucker Punch, which allows it to heavily damage faster threats. Water Absorb gives it switch-in opportunities against bulky waters like Lanturn, Quagsire, and Prinplup;(RS) ,(AC) and an immunity to Scald in particular is amazing. Cacturne also sports resistances to many common priorities in NU, such as Sucker Punch,(RC) and Aqua Jet. It's Its access to Spikes, Water Absorb, and Counter make for a very effective Spikes lead on Hyper Offense. However;(RS) ,(AC) it's its low speed makes it rather easy to revenge kill, and makes it (just a suggestion for clarity) difficult to outright sweep teams due to its over-reliance on Sucker Punch. It's also very frail due to its poor defensive typing and lackluster bulk. Sadly, Cacturne has no access to a reliable physical Dark-type STAB as it doesn't have either Crunch or Knock Off, which makes it harder to pull off an SD (I would go ahead and type out Swords Dance, but it's not required) set effectively. However, Cacturne is somewhat forced to run a physical or mixed set due to its only form of priority bring being Sucker Punch, and its low Speed making it reliant on said priority.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Spikes / Destiny Bond
ability: Water Absorb
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Rash

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Giga Drain gives Cacturne a way to recover health lost from entry hazards and Life Orb while offering it a powerful Grass-type attack. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB option, and is very useful for nailing NU's bulky Psychic-types such as Uxie, Mesprit, Xatu, and Musharna. Sucker Punch is a very useful form of priority, nailing frail faster pokemon such as Archeops, Swellow, and Magmortor. Spikes is great in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to work as an offensive Spikes-setter(AH) by using Spikes on a predicted switch to a check or counter such as Mega Audino, Mawile, or Hariyama. Destiny Bond is another option in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to take care of slower Pokemon that normally beat it such as Hariyama and Mega Audino. Substitute is also an option as it allows Cacturne to take full advantage of the many switches it forces against slower walls. Sucker Punch is also fantastic from behind a Substitute, as the opponent is forced to break it.

[Set Details]
========

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Cacturne to hit as hard as possible with its most reliable STAB moves. The investment allows 2HKOs on physical walls that are likely to switch in (RH) expecting a physical attacking set, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist. Water Absorb grants you free switch-ins to most Water-types in the tier, such as Mantine, Lanturn, Prinplup, and Quagsire. Life Orb is used to Maximize Cacturne's damage output. Leftovers aren't that useful as Cacturne is frail to begin with, and Cacturne gets enough recovery from Giga Drain anyway.

[Usage Tips]
========

Dark Pulse is the most spammable move on this set, as it will often surprise opponents who's first reaction is to switch in a physical wall. Dark-type attacks are also very difficult to switch into in NU, do due to the lack of Defensive Fairy-, Fighting-, or Dark-types. Cacturne is used most effectively during the middle of the game, as it can break down bulky Pokemon on the opponent's team, allowing for an easier sweep late-game by a teammate. Destiny Bond is a great way to lure in and dispose of Hariyama, which can open up a door for a teammate to sweep. Spikes are best used early on, as they rack up more damage throughout the battle. While Cacturne can typically switch into most Water-types, it still needs to be wary since most of them carry a coverage or status move that would cripple Cacturne. Cacturne usually has a positive matchup against Huntail smashpass teams, because the primary recipient, Magneton, is 2HKOd by Dark Pulse plus + Sucker Punch.

[Team Options]
==========

Most opponent's opponents will expect a physically offensive Swords Dance Cacturne, which makes this specially offensive set very effective at luring in and getting damage off on physically defensive Grass-type and Flying-type Pokemon. Teammates that appreciate these Pokemon worn down include Sawk, Hariyama, Malamar, and Kecleon. Teammates that can switch into the Fighting-type attacks that force out Cacturne are greatly appreciated. Gourgiest, Togetic, and Defensive Rotom-S are all viable options. Bulky Bug-type resists are also useful to switch into the U-turns that force Cacturne out. Sneasel and Tauros appreciate the wallbreaking and Spikes that Cacturne provides, as both are quite fast and can easily clean up weakened teams late-game(AH).

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 4: Drain Punch
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Swords Dance is used to boost Cacturne's already impressive Attack to frightening levels to help facilitate a potential sweep. Seed Bomb is the most reliable physical STAB attack Cacturne has, as it isn't reliant on what move the opponent goes for, unlike Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch hits faster Pokemon very hard, especially at +2, making it very difficult to revenge kill Cacturne with frail Pokemon such as Magmortor, Archeops, or Swellow. Drain Punch is provides useful coverage for Pokemon such as Probopass, Klinklang, or Ferroseed, who would otherwise wall you. Drain Punch also has the added benefit of recovering HP while attacking. Dropping Drain Punch for Substitute is an option, as it lets Cacturne not only evade status, but also force opponents to walk directly into Sucker Punches. Substitute also provides a nice buffer against faster foes, and it's Cacturne's best way to take advantage of opponents who switch into Grass-type resists, as Sucker Punch won't work on them on the switch.

[Set Details]
========

An Adamant nature adds a very noticeable boost in power, and due to Cacturne being very reliant on Sucker Punch, it's the preferred nature to go with. Maximum investment in Attack and Speed are used to boost Cacturne's offensive prowess. Life Orb is used for its noticeable boost in power; however, if Substitute is used over Drain Punch, Leftovers can be used over Life Orb, as Substitute plus Life Orb residual damage adds up very quickly, and without Drain Punch Cacturne has no way to recover health.

[Usage Tips]
========

Don't try to set- up(RH) with Cacturne early game, or if the opponent still has a faster check such as Sawk or Sneasel, as Cacturne should be saved for late game when everything is either slower than it, or is knocked out by a Sucker Punch. Switching in on defensive Water-types, such as Lanturn,(AC) Quagsire, or Prinplup,(AC) is the most reliable set up opportunity, as you can generally Swords Dance as the opponent switches out.

[Team Options]
========

Entry hazard support helps Cacturne a lot. Sticky Web allows for an easier sweep that's less reliant on Sucker Punch;(RH) ,(AC) while Spikes and Stealth Rock help Cacturne claim KOs it wouldn't otherwise get, such as unboosted Sucker Punch KOing Archeops after Stealth Rock. Pairing Cacturne with Pokemon that lure out and weaken potential stops to the Swords Dance Cacturne set are appreciated. Pokemon such as Natural Gift Leafeon, Ice Punch Gurdurr or Sawk, and Scyther,(AC) can waken bulky Grass-types throughout the game, making it much easier for Cacturne to sweep later on.

[SET]
name: Spikes Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Counter
move 4: Seed Bomb / Encore
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Spikes quickly wears down grounded pokemon on the opposing team. Counter allows Cacturne to claim a quick kill vs against physical attackers such as Scyther,(RC) and Sawk who will try to attack Cacturne in an attempt to limit the number of Spikes it sets up. Sucker Punch allows Cacturne to get off one last attack versus faster opponents, dealing severe damage to many frail Pokemon. It also prevents Cryogonal from using Rapid Spin or Freeze Dry on Cacturne. Seed Bomb gives Cacturne an attacking move that isn't reliant on what the opponent goes for, and also allows Cacturne to 2HKO opposing lead Archeops. Seed Bomb allows Cacturne to take on Rhydon, which is a common Stealth Rock lead, and prevent Prinplup from Defogging for free. It also gives Cacturne a way to deal with defensive Water-types,(AC) which it can take on thanks to Water Absorb. Encore can be used to lock an opposing lead into an unfavourable move, and also works nicely with Counter. If the opponent attempts to set up to avoid Counter, Cacturne can simply Encore them into that move, and set up even more Spikes.

[Set Details]
========

Focus Sash guarantees Cacturne will always be able to get off one attack versus faster Pokemon. It also allows Cacturne to make better use of Counter. Maximum Speed gives Cacturne the best chance at setting up as many Spikes as possible, while maximum Attack allows Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch to hurt the opponent.

[Usage Tips]
========

Lead off with Cacturne and try to set up as many Spikes as you can. If the opponent has a lead Uxie, it's often best to use Encore to limit the number of things it can set up (probably don't want to say things but i'm not sure what word you're searching for). If the opponent has a lead Archeops, it's best to 2HKO it with Seed Bomb. If the opponent sends out a Sandslash or Cryogonal,(AC) it's often better to KO them than to attempt to spin-block(RH). Go for Counter against opposing lead Scyther, as they will most likely go for U-turn and it will grant Cacturne a free kill.

[Team Options]
========

Hyper Offensive teams appreciate the entry hazard support, so pairing Cacturne with offensive Pokemon is the best way to go. Examples include Mesprit, Sawk, Tauros, Scyther, Rotom, Lilligant, and Samurott. Pawniard can be used along side alongside Cacturne as a way to discourage opponents from going for Defog and removing the entry hazards. Ghost-types such as Rotom and Mismagius are great partners as they can block Rapid Spin from opposing Pokemon trying to remove the entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is also a decent option for the mixed set as it hits Togetic and Mega Audino super hard, both of which it otherwise couldn't touch. Focus Punch can be used along with Substitute,(RC) as a way to take advantage of the switches it forces. However,(AC) it's much less useful that than Drain Punch on most sets. Encore can be used on the Swords Dance set, as it forces switches and grants free Swords Dances; however, Substitute is generally a better way to take advantage of free switches. A Nasty Plot set can also work, but it's outclassed by other Nasty Plot users in the tier due to Cacturne's low speed and lack of any special priority moves. Spiky Sheild Shield is a cool option to punish Physical attackers such as Scyther and Sawk, as neither appreciate having any prior damage on them. Thunder Punch can be used on the Swords Dance set as a way to hit Flying types on the switch-in such as Pelipper Pelliper, Fletchinder, Swellow, Scyther, and Xatu.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Fairy-types**: Togetic can come in versus any set and threaten to 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic walls both the Swords Dance set and the mixed set, effectively making Cacturne useless, barring the rare Poison Jab. Granbull also does an effective job of tanking any hit from the SD set; however, it must watch out for Giga Drain from the mixed set. Mawile can also switch into any attack either set wants to throw at it,(RC) .(AP) It's a full counter to the SD set and a soft check to the mixed set, as it can be 2HKOd by Dark Pulse.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor can switch-in(RH) with ease against the Swords Dance set and threaten out Cacturne with their STAB attacks; however they must be wary of Dark Pulse from the mixed set, as they all;(RS) get cleanly 2HKOd.

**Fighting-types**: Bulkier Fighting types such as Gurdurr can switch-in and KO with Mach Punch, or even take a hit from Cacturne and KO with Drain Punch. Hariyama also takes on the mixed set with ease, but crumbles to the SD set.

**Faster Dark-type Resists**: Faster pokemon such as Sneasel and Sawk can live even a boosted Sucker Punch, and KO with their STAB attacks. With Eviloite, Sneasel can switch into the mixed set with relative ease.

**Priority Users** Pokemon such as Sneasel, Fletchinder, Kangaskhan, and Zangoose can bypass Cacturne's Sucker Punch with their own priority, and can OHKO it with their STAB moves. Other users such as Gurdurr or Piloswine can force Cacturne to use Sucker Punch to avoid a stronger hit from a Grass-type attack.

GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CanadianWifier

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

additions
deletions
comments

[OVERVIEW]
Cacturne is a powerful mixed attacker with access to multiple boosting moves, (RC) and to priority in the form of Sucker Punch, which allows it to heavily damage faster threats. Water Absorb gives it switch-in opportunities to switch in against bulky waters like Water-types such as Lanturn, Quagsire, and Prinplup;(RS) ,(AC) and an immunity to Scald in particular is amazing. Cacturne also sports resistances to many common priorities priority moves in NU, such as Sucker Punch,(RC) and Aqua Jet. It's Its access to Spikes, Water Absorb, and Counter make for it a very effective Spikes lead on hyper offense. However;(RS) ,(AC) it's its low Speed makes it rather easy to revenge kill, and makes it (just a suggestion for clarity) difficult to outright sweep teams due to its over-reliance on Sucker Punch. It's also very frail due to its poor defensive typing and lackluster bulk. Sadly, Cacturne has no access to a reliable physical Dark-type STAB as it doesn't have either Crunch or Knock Off, which makes it harder to pull off an SD (I would go ahead and type out Swords Dance, but it's not required) it is most certainly required set effectively. However, Cacturne is somewhat forced to run a physical or mixed set due to its only form of priority bring being Sucker Punch, and its low Speed making it reliant on said priority.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Giga Drain gives Cacturne a way to recover health lost from entry hazards and Life Orb while offering it a powerful Grass-type attack. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB option, and is very useful for nailing NU's bulky Psychic-types such as Uxie, Mesprit, Xatu, and Musharna. Sucker Punch is a very useful form of priority, nailing frail faster Pokemon such as Archeops, Swellow, and Magmortor. Spikes is great in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to work as an offensive Spikes-setter(AH) don't add a hyphen by using Spikes on a predicted switch to a check or counter such as Mega Audino, Mawile, or Hariyama. Destiny Bond is another option in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to take care of slower Pokemon that normally beat it such as Hariyama and Mega Audino. Substitute is also an option as it allows Cacturne to take full advantage of the many switches it forces against slower walls. Sucker Punch is also fantastic from behind a Substitute, as the opponent is forced to break it.

[Set Details]
========

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Cacturne to hit as hard as possible with its most reliable STAB moves. The investment allows 2HKOs on physical walls that are likely to switch in (RH) expecting a physical attacking set, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist. Water Absorb grants you Cacturne free switch-ins opportunities to switch in to most Water-types in the tier, such as Mantine, Lanturn, Prinplup, and Quagsire. Life Orb is used to maximize Cacturne's damage output. Leftovers aren't that useful as Cacturne is frail to begin with, and Cacturne gets enough recovery from Giga Drain anyway.

[Usage Tips]
========

Dark Pulse is the most spammable move on this set, as it will often surprise opponents whose first reaction is to switch in a physical wall. Dark-type attacks are also very difficult to switch into in NU, do due to the lack of defensive Fairy-, Fighting-, or Dark-types. Cacturne is used most effectively during the middle of the game, as it can break down bulky Pokemon on the opponent's team, allowing for an easier sweep late-game by a teammate. Destiny Bond is a great way to lure in and dispose of Hariyama, which can open up a door for a teammate to sweep. Spikes are best used early on, as they rack up more damage throughout the battle. While Cacturne can typically switch into most Water-types, it still needs to be wary since because most of them carry a coverage or status move that would cripple Cacturne. Cacturne usually has a positive matchup against Huntail SmashPass teams, because the primary recipient, Magneton, is 2HKOd by Dark Pulse plus + Sucker Punch.

[Team Options]
==========

Most opponent's opponents will expect a physically offensive Swords Dance Cacturne, which makes this specially offensive set very effective at luring in and getting damage off on physically defensive Grass-type and Flying-type Pokemon. Teammates that appreciate these Pokemon worn down include Sawk, Hariyama, Malamar, and Kecleon. Teammates that can switch into the Fighting-type attacks that force out Cacturne are greatly appreciated. Gourgiest, Togetic, and defensive Rotom-S are all viable options. Bulky Pokemon that resist Bug-type resists are also useful to switch into the U-turns that force Cacturne out. Sneasel and Tauros appreciate the wallbreaking and Spikes that Cacturne provides, as both are quite fast and can easily clean up weakened teams late-game(AH).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Swords Dance is used to boost Cacturne's already impressive Attack to frightening levels to help facilitate a potential sweep. Seed Bomb is the most reliable physical STAB attack Cacturne has, as it isn't reliant on what move the opponent goes for, unlike Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch hits faster Pokemon very hard, especially at +2, making it very difficult to revenge kill Cacturne with frail Pokemon such as Magmortor, Archeops, or Swellow. Drain Punch is provides useful coverage for Pokemon such as Probopass, Klinklang, or Ferroseed, who which would otherwise wall you Cacturne. Drain Punch also has the added benefit of recovering HP while attacking. Dropping Drain Punch for Substitute is an option, as it lets Cacturne not only evade status, (RC) but also force opponents to walk directly into Sucker Punches. Substitute also provides a nice buffer against faster foes, and it's Cacturne's best way to take advantage of opponents who switch predicting a Seed Bomb into Grass-type resists, as Sucker Punch won't work on them on the switch.

[Set Details]
========

An Adamant nature adds a very noticeable boost in power, and due to Cacturne being very reliant on Sucker Punch, (RC) it's the preferred nature to go with. Maximum investment in Attack and Speed are is used to boost Cacturne's offensive prowess. Life Orb is used for its noticeable boost in power; however, if Substitute is used over Drain Punch, Leftovers can be used over Life Orb, as Substitute plus Life Orb residual damage adds up very quickly, and without Drain Punch Cacturne has no way to recover health.

[Usage Tips]
========

Don't try to set- up(RH) with Cacturne early-game, or if the opponent still has a faster check such as Sawk or Sneasel, as Cacturne should be saved for late-game when everything is either slower than it, (RC) or is able to be knocked out by a Sucker Punch. Switching in on defensive Water-types, such as Lanturn,(AC) Quagsire, or Prinplup,(AC) is the most reliable setup opportunity, as you Cacturne can generally Swords Dance as the opponent switches out.

[Team Options]
========

Entry hazard support helps Cacturne a lot. Sticky Web allows for an easier sweep that's less reliant on Sucker Punch;(RH) ,(AC) while Spikes and Stealth Rock help Cacturne claim KOs it wouldn't otherwise get, such as unboosted Sucker Punch KOing Archeops after Stealth Rock. Pairing Cacturne with Pokemon that lure out and weaken potential stops to the Swords Dance Cacturne set just remove all this are appreciated. Pokemon such as Natural Gift Leafeon, Ice Punch Gurdurr or Sawk, and Scyther,(AC) don't add this comma. There's no comma at the very start of this list, so we can't have on at the end can waken bulky Grass-types throughout the game, making it much easier for Cacturne to sweep later on.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
[Moves]
========

Spikes quickly wears down grounded Pokemon on the opposing team. Counter allows Cacturne to claim a quick kill KO vs against physical attackers such as Scyther,(RC) and Sawk who which will try to attack Cacturne in an attempt to limit the number of Spikes it sets up. Sucker Punch allows Cacturne to get off one last attack versus faster opponents, dealing severe damage to many frail Pokemon. It also prevents Cryogonal from using Rapid Spin or Freeze Dry on Cacturne. Seed Bomb gives Cacturne an attacking move that isn't reliant on what the opponent goes for, and also allows Cacturne to 2HKO opposing lead Archeops. Seed Bomb allows Cacturne to take on Rhydon, which is a common Stealth Rock lead, and prevent Prinplup from Defogging for free. It also gives Cacturne a way to deal with defensive Water-types,(AC) not 100% necessary which it can take on thanks to Water Absorb. Encore can be used to lock an opposing lead into an unfavorable move, and also works nicely with Counter. If the opponent opposing Pokemon attempts to set up to avoid Counter, Cacturne can simply Encore them into that move, (RC) and set up even more Spikes.

[Set Details]
========

Focus Sash guarantees Cacturne will always be able to get off one attack versus faster Pokemon. It also allows Cacturne to make better use of Counter. Maximum Speed investment gives Cacturne the best chance at setting up as many Spikes as possible, while maximum Attack investment allows Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch to hurt the opponent.

[Usage Tips]
========

Lead off with Cacturne and try to set up as many layers of Spikes as you can. If the opponent has a lead Uxie, it's often best to use Encore to limit the number of things field effects it can set up (probably don't want to say things but i'm not sure what word you're searching for). If the opponent has a lead Archeops, it's best to 2HKO it with Seed Bomb. If the opponent sends out a Sandslash or Cryogonal,(AC) it's often better to KO them than to attempt to spin-block(RH). Go for Counter against opposing lead Scyther, as they will most likely go for U-turn and it will grant Cacturne a free KO kill.

[Team Options]
========

Hyper offensive teams appreciate the entry hazard support, so pairing Cacturne with offensive Pokemon is the best way to go. Examples include Mesprit, Sawk, Tauros, Scyther, Rotom, Lilligant, and Samurott. Pawniard can be used along side alongside Cacturne as a way to discourage opponents from going for Defog and removing the entry hazards. Ghost-types such as Rotom and Mismagius are great partners as they can block Rapid Spin from opposing Pokemon trying to remove the entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is also a decent option for the mixed set as it hits Togetic and Mega Audino super hard, both of which it Cacturne otherwise couldn't touch. Focus Punch can be used along with Substitute,(RC) as a way to take advantage of the switches it Cacturne forces. However,(AC) it's much less useful that than Drain Punch on most sets. Encore can be used on the Swords Dance set, as it forces switches and grants free Swords Dances; however, Substitute is generally a better way to take advantage of free switches. A Nasty Plot set can also work, but it's outclassed by other Nasty Plot users in the tier such as X due to Cacturne's low Speed and lack of any special priority moves. Spiky Sheild Shield is a cool option to punish physical attackers such as Scyther and Sawk, as neither appreciate having any prior damage on them. Thunder Punch can be used on the Swords Dance set as a way to hit Flying-types on the switch-in such as Pelipper Pelliper, Fletchinder, Swellow, Scyther, and Xatu.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Fairy-types**: Togetic can come in versus any set without Poison Jab and threaten to 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Togetic walls both the Swords Dance set and the mixed set, effectively making Cacturne useless, barring the rare Poison Jab. Granbull also does an effective job of tanking any hit from the Swords Dance set; however, it must watch out for Giga Drain from the mixed set. Mawile can also switch into any attack from the Swords Dance set, but is 2HKOed by Dark Pulse from the mixed set. either set wants to throw at it,(RC) .(AP) It's a full counter to the SD set and a soft check to the mixed set, as it can be 2HKOd by Dark Pulse.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor can switch-in(RH) with ease against the Swords Dance set and threaten out Cacturne with their STAB attacks; however they must be wary of Dark Pulse from the mixed set, as they all;(RS) get cleanly 2HKOed.

**Fighting-types**: Bulkier Fighting-types such as Gurdurr can switch in and KO with Mach Punch, or even take a hit from Cacturne and KO with Drain Punch. Hariyama also takes on the mixed set with ease, but crumbles to the Swords Dance set.

**Faster Pokemon that Resist Dark-type Resists**: Faster Pokemon such as Sneasel and Sawk can live even a boosted Sucker Punch, (RC) and KO with their STAB attacks. With Eviloite, Sneasel can switch into the mixed set with relative ease.

**Priority Users** Pokemon such as Sneasel, Fletchinder, Kangaskhan, and Zangoose can bypass Cacturne's Sucker Punch with their own priority, (RC) and can OHKO it with their STAB moves. Other priority users such as Gurdurr or Piloswine can force Cacturne to use Sucker Punch to avoid a stronger hit from a Grass-type attack.

1/2

Check over all the extra stuff, Deinosaur !

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)
add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]
Cacturne is a powerful mixed attacker with access to multiple boosting moves and priority in the form of Sucker Punch. Water Absorb gives it opportunities to switch in against bulky Water-types such as Lanturn, Quagsire, and Prinplup, and an immunity to Scald in particular is amazing. Cacturne also sports resistances to many common priority moves in NU, such as Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet. Its access to Spikes, Water Absorb, and Counter makes it a very effective Spikes lead on hyper offense. However, its low Speed makes it rather easy to revenge kill, (remove comma) and makes it difficult to outright sweep teams due to its over-reliance on Sucker Punch. It's also very frail due to its poor defensive typing and lackluster bulk. Sadly, Cacturne has no access to a reliable physical Dark-type STAB move, as it has neither doesn't have either Crunch or nor Knock Off, which makes it harder to pull off a Swords Dance set effectively.

[SET]
item: Life Orb (fix order)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Giga Drain gives Cacturne a way to recover health lost from entry hazards and Life Orb while offering it a powerful Grass-type attack. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB option, (remove comma) and is very useful for nailing NU's bulky Psychic-types such as Uxie, Mesprit, Xatu, and Musharna. Sucker Punch is a very useful form of priority, nailing frail faster Pokemon such as Archeops, Swellow, and Magmortor. Spikes is great in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to work as an offensive Spikes setter by using Spikes on a predicted switch to a check or counter such as Mega Audino, Mawile, or Hariyama. Destiny Bond is another option in the last slot, as it allows Cacturne to take care of slower Pokemon that normally beat it such as Hariyama and Mega Audino. Substitute is also an option, (comma) as it allows Cacturne to take full advantage of the many switches it forces against slower walls. Sucker Punch is also fantastic from behind a Substitute, as the opponent is forced to break it.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack investment allows Cacturne to hit as hard as possible with its most reliable STAB moves. The investment allows 2HKOs on physical walls that are likely to switch in expecting a physical attacking set, such as Vileplume and Gourgeist. Water Absorb grants Cacturne free opportunities to switch in to most Water-types in the tier, such as Mantine, Lanturn, Prinplup, and Quagsire. Life Orb is used to maximize Cacturne's damage output. Leftovers aren't isn't that useful, (comma) as Cacturne is frail to begin with, and Cacturne gets enough recovery from Giga Drain anyway.

Usage Tips
========

Dark Pulse is the most spammable move on this set, as it will often surprise opponents whose first reaction is to switch in a physical wall. Dark-type attacks are also very difficult to switch into in NU, (remove comma) due to the lack of defensive Fairy-, Fighting-, or and Dark-types. Cacturne is most effective during the middle of the game, as it can break down bulky Pokemon on the opponent's team, allowing for an easier sweep late-game by a teammate. Destiny Bond is a great way to lure in and dispose of Hariyama, which can open up a door for a teammate to sweep. Spikes are is best used early on, as they rack up more damage throughout the battle. While Cacturne can typically switch into most Water-types, it still needs to be wary because most of them carry a coverage or status move that would cripple Cacturne. Cacturne usually has a positive matchup against Huntail SmashPass teams, because the primary recipient, Magneton, is 2HKOed by Dark Pulse + Sucker Punch.

Team Options
==========

Most opponents will expect a physically offensive Swords Dance Cacturne, which makes this specially offensive set very effective at luring in and getting damage off on physically defensive Grass-type and Flying-type Pokemon. Teammates that appreciate these Pokemon worn down include Sawk, Hariyama, Malamar, and Kecleon. Teammates that can switch into the Fighting-type attacks that force out Cacturne are greatly appreciated. Gourgiest, Togetic, and defensive Rotom-S are all viable options. Bulky Pokemon that resist Bug are also useful to switch into the U-turns that force Cacturne out. Sneasel and Tauros appreciate the wallbreaking and Spikes that Cacturne provides, as both are quite fast and can easily clean up weakened teams late-game.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance is used to boost Cacturne's already impressive Attack to frightening levels to help facilitate a potential sweep. Seed Bomb is the most reliable physical STAB attack Cacturne has, as it isn't reliant on what move the opponent goes for, unlike Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch hits faster Pokemon very hard, especially at +2, making it very difficult to revenge kill Cacturne with frail Pokemon such as Magmortor, Archeops, or and Swellow. Drain Punch provides useful coverage for Pokemon such as Probopass, Klinklang, or and Ferroseed, which would otherwise wall Cacturne. Drain Punch also has the added benefit of recovering HP while attacking. Dropping Drain Punch for Substitute is an option, as it lets Cacturne not only evade status but also force opponents to walk directly into Sucker Punches. Substitute also provides a nice buffer against faster foes, and it's Cacturne's best way to take advantage of opponents who switch predicting a Seed Bomb, as Sucker Punch won't work on the switch.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature adds a very noticeable boost in power, and due to because Cacturne being is very reliant on Sucker Punch it's the preferred nature to go with. Maximum investment in Attack and Speed is used to boost Cacturne's offensive prowess. Life Orb is used for its noticeable boost in power; however, if Substitute is used over Drain Punch, Leftovers can be used, (comma) as, (remove comma) residual damage adds up very quickly, and without Drain Punch Cacturne has no way to recover health.

Usage Tips
========

Don't try to set up with Cacturne early-game, (remove comma) or if the opponent still has a faster check such as Sawk or Sneasel, as Cacturne should be saved for late-game when everything is either slower than it or is knocked out by a Sucker Punch. Switching in on defensive Water-types, such as Lanturn, Quagsire, or and Prinplup, (comma) is the most reliable setup opportunity, as Cacturne can generally Swords Dance as the opponent switches out.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard support helps Cacturne a lot. Sticky Web allows for an easier sweep that's less reliant on Sucker Punch, while Spikes and Stealth Rock help Cacturne claim KOs it wouldn't otherwise get, such as unboosted Sucker Punch KOing Archeops after Stealth Rock. Pairing Cacturne with Pokemon that lure out and weaken potential stops are appreciated. Pokemon such as Natural Gift Leafeon, Ice Punch Gurdurr or Sawk, and Scyther can weaken bulky Grass-types throughout the game, making it much easier for Cacturne to sweep later on.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Spikes quickly wears down grounded Pokemon on the opposing team. Counter allows Cacturne to claim a quick KO against physical attackers such as Scyther and Sawk who that will try to attack Cacturne in an attempt to limit the number of Spikes it sets up, such as Scyther and Sawk. Sucker Punch allows Cacturne to get off one last attack versus faster foes opponents, dealing severe damage to many frail Pokemon. It also prevents Cryogonal from using Rapid Spin or Freeze-Dry on Cacturne. Seed Bomb gives Cacturne an attacking move that isn't reliant on what the opponent goes for, and it also allows Cacturne to 2HKO opposing lead Archeops. Seed Bomb allows Cacturne to take on Rhydon, which is a common Stealth Rock lead, and prevent Prinplup from Defogging for free. It also gives Cacturne a way to deal with defensive Water-types, (comma) which it Cacturne can take on thanks to Water Absorb. Encore can be used to lock an opposing lead into an unfavorable move, and it also works nicely with Counter. If the opposing Pokemon attempts to set up to avoid Counter, Cacturne can simply Encore them into that move and set up even more Spikes.

Set Details
========

Focus Sash guarantees Cacturne will always be able to get off one attack versus faster Pokemon. It also allows Cacturne to make better use of Counter. Maximum Speed investment gives Cacturne the best chance at setting up as many Spikes as possible, while maximum Attack investment allows Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch to hurt the opponent's team.

Usage Tips
========

Lead with Cacturne and try to set up as many layers of Spikes as you can. If the opponent has a lead Uxie, it's often best to use Encore to limit the number of things it can set up. If the opponent has a lead Archeops, it's best to 2HKO it with Seed Bomb. If the opponent sends out a Sandslash or Cryogonal, it's often better to KO them than to attempt to spinblock. Go for Counter against opposing lead Scyther, as they will most likely go for U-turn and it will grant Cacturne a free KO.

Team Options
========

Hyper offensive teams appreciate the entry hazard support, so pairing Cacturne with offensive Pokemon is the best way to go. Examples include Mesprit, Sawk, Tauros, Scyther, Rotom, Lilligant, and Samurott. Pawniard can be used alongside Cacturne as a way to discourage opponents from going for Defog and removing the entry hazards. Ghost-types such as Rotom and Mismagius are great partners, (comma) as they can block Rapid Spin from opposing Pokemon trying to remove the entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is a decent option for the mixed set, (comma) as it hits Togetic and Mega Audino super hard, both of which Cacturne otherwise couldn't touch. Focus Punch can be used along with Substitute as a way to take advantage of the switches Cacturne forces; however, it's much less useful than Drain Punch on most sets. Encore can be used on the Swords Dance set, as it forces switches and grants free Swords Dances; however, Substitute is generally a better way to take advantage of free switches. A Nasty Plot set can also work, but it's outclassed by other Nasty Plot users in the tier such as Mismagius and Chatot due to Cacturne's low Speed and lack of any special priority moves. Spiky Shield is a cool option to punish physical attackers such as Scyther and Sawk, as neither appreciates having any prior damage on them. Thunder Punch can be used on the Swords Dance set as a way to hit Flying-types on the switch such as Pelipper, Fletchinder, Swellow, Scyther, and Xatu on the switch.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Fairy-types**: Togetic can come in versus any set without Poison Jab and threaten to 2HKO with Dazzling Gleam. Granbull also does an effective job of tanking any hit from the Swords Dance set; however, it must watch out for Giga Drain from the mixed set. Mawile can also switch into any attack from the Swords Dance set, (remove comma) but is 2HKOed by Dark Pulse from the mixed set. It's a full counter to the SD Swords Dance set and a soft check to the mixed set, as it can be 2HKOed by Dark Pulse.

**Poison-types**: Bulky Poison-types such as Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbodor can switch in with ease against the Swords Dance set and threaten out Cacturne with their STAB attacks; however, (comma) they must be wary of Dark Pulse from the mixed set, as they all get cleanly 2HKOed.

**Fighting-types**: Bulkier Fighting-types such as Gurdurr can switch in and KO with Mach Punch, (remove comma) or even take a hit from Cacturne and KO with Drain Punch. Hariyama also takes on the mixed set with ease, but it crumbles to the Swords Dance set.

**Faster Pokemon that Resist Dark**: Faster Pokemon such as Sneasel and Sawk can live survive even a boosted Sucker Punch and KO with their STAB attacks. With Eviloite (haha) Eviolite, Sneasel can switch into the mixed set with relative ease.

**Priority Users**: (colon) Pokemon such as Sneasel, Fletchinder, Kangaskhan, and Zangoose can bypass Cacturne's Sucker Punch with their own priority and can OHKO it with their STAB moves. Other priority users such as Gurdurr or and Piloswine can force Cacturne to use Sucker Punch to avoid a stronger hit from a Grass-type attack.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)