Caitlin The Hitmonlee

First off let me start by saying this isn't the most competitive team but it's not supposed to be just some gimmick team either. This started when my friend Caitlin did that "add up your birthday to find out what kind of Pokemon you are" thing on Facebook and got Hitmonlee. However I would like to make the team better. That being said, let's move on to the team:

Caitlin (Hitmonlee) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Blaze Kick

Jawline (Steelix) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Smuckers (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SpD / 48 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Hex
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

FreeAsABird (Braviary) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Superpower
- U-turn

Weakness (Eelektross) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse

BOOMBURST (Exploud) @ Metronome
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

As I said Caitlin (Hitmonlee) is the star of this team. Fake Out + Normal Gem activates Unburden which with max speed invesment, allows Caitlin to outspeed everything. High Jump Kick is the best STAB move, hitting hard to anything that's not a ghost. Knock is for those ghost types as well as any psychic types. Blaze Kick is a surprising move that keeps Caitlin from being walled by bulky grass types like Amoonguss. Caitlin hits very hard thanks to the max attack investment and Adamant nature.

Steelix is the rock setter of this team and with max HP, max SpD, and a crazy Def stat, takes hits from both sides very well. The 4 EVs in Spe allow Steelix to outspeed other base 30s such as Cofagrigus and Amoonguss. Stealth Rocks and Toxic for wearing down the team, and EQ and Heavy Slam for dual STAB.

Jellicent is the main special wall of the team with max HP and max SpD to make extremely specially bulky. Jellicent also takes physical hits rather well once the Pokemon has been burned with Scald or Will-O-Wisp. Recover helps increase Jellicent's longetivity and Hex is a secondary STAB move that hits hard after a burn.

I wanted something that hits like a struck and helps keep rocks up, so in comes Braviary. With Defiant, Defog becomes my opponent's worse possible move as a +2 Braviary that was already rocking a Choice Band doesn't let too many things stay alive after one hit. Brave Bird and Return are both strong STAB moves that hit extremely hard thanks to the max Atk investment and Choice Band. Superpower hits Rock and Steel types, while U-Turn is for momentum. Max speed investment and a Jolly nature allows Braviary to speed tie with other base 80s.

At this point, I decided I needed a strong special attack and some more initiative, so I picked Eelektross. Max HP for bulk and (almost) max SpA and a Life Orb for power. 8 in Def allow Eelektross to live Adamant Life Orb Outrage from Druddigon or Flygon and 8 Spe investment keeps Eelektross from being speed creeped. Volt Switch for STAB + initiative, Giga Drain for recovery + ground coverage, Flamethrower for Steel and Grass types, and Dragon Pulse for aforementioned Dragons, as Eelektross outspeeds 20 Spe Druddigon and 2HKOs it and has a chance to OHKO Flygon after rocks.

Exploud is last. Metronome is used instead of Specs as Boomburst is usually all that's clicked anyway and this way Exploud isn't locked and doesn't lose longetivity. Boomburst is the only reason to use Exploud, and Fire Blast and Focus Blast help provide good coverage. Substitute can be used when predicting a switch and helps get more Boombursts off, thus strengthening him at the same time. 24 Spe EVs allow Exploud to outspeed uninvested Hitmontop, max SpA make Exploud hit as hard as possible, while the rest is thrown into HP to make Exploud take more hits and keeps his subs from being broken with Seismic Toss.

When it comes to any ideas anyone has: I don't care about who is changed. Just so long as Fake Out-Unburden Hitmonlee stays the star. If anyone wants to make any suggestions, I'm completely open to hearing them. If you think changing the other five members is the right idea, I'm open to hear it. Don't be afraid :)

Pretty solid team you have here.

Here's some team suggestions: I would replace Dragon Pulse with Knock Off on Eelektross. It has utility which the eel does usually not carry. Your team also handles Dragon types pretty well anyway with Steelix. Metronome is not (very) good on Exploud, so in that form, I would replace Substitute with Surf and the Metronome itself with Choice Specs. Surf hits targets such as Mega Steelix RELIABLY, as it has the bulk to live a non-metronome boosted Fire Blast or Focus Blast. You don't have to change that but I reccomend it. Otherwise, pretty solid team.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi King24894, cool team there, I'd like to give some suggestions to improve it n_n

Your Hitmonlee set is too much reliant on his ability, and if you are forced to switch out you won't be able to sweep anymore. Changing to a Life Orb set over the one you have now will allow you to sweep with more ease in both mid and late game.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Sleep Talk over Toxic on Steelix will allow you to check Venomoth easily, absorbing the sleep powder, and with the spdef investiment it takes nothing from Bug Buzz at +1!

Jawline (Steelix) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sleep Talk
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Now your team looks really weak to fight spam, Qwilfish over Jellicent will give you something to handle fighting types better, and the spikes will be helpful for a Hitmonlee sweep. Also T-Wave will be helpful to have speed control.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Fletchlinder over Braviary can fit your team pretty well, it has a nice sinergy with the rest of the team and with the priority Acrobatics he can be a nice revenge killer, and with WoW it can cripple things like MSteelix and Tyrantrum.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Also now I've noticed that your team has a huge Flygon weakness, as its Dragon/Ground coverage completely destroys your team, Tangrowth over Elektross will give you a way to check Flygon in a better way, and regenerator can help him to be effective during all the match.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Ancient Power / Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

The last suggestion I've is Dugtrio over Exploud, your team is too much Delphox weak, and Dugtrio can revenge kill all of his sets, although Sucker Punch fails to OHKO the scarf version, so he needs some residual damage , that is easy to get since you've rocks and spikes. The loss of Exploud can be a problem because he was a really good wallbreaker, but Hitmonlee+Fletch do a good job too!

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

I hope this was helpful n__n!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)