Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I noticed a few people around here making CoD4 references (Even a RMT whose title mentioned the Gold Dragunov), but no thread dedicated to it's discussion so I thought I should make one.

We can use this thread to discuss favourite tactics, kit loadouts, maps, and just about everything else. I'll kick the discussion off by saying since I'm in Aus, I spend most of my time on the ATT clan servers. I am no part of their clan, but their public servers include (and enforce) a ban on "Noob Tubes", Marty, Last Stand and RPG's. Personally, I think it's a tad overboard but it really does make for a nicer environment in which to play.

Personally, my favourite combinations include M4 with Slight of Hand and Brandoiler which suits my sometimes overly spray-and-pray playstyle well. It often catches opponents offguard when they chose to charge as I reload, only to find I've reloaded in only a tad of the time I would normally take and am ready to plow bullets into them. I also use the M60E4 (3rd LMG) with Double Tap to compliment it's large bullet damage by bringing the speed of fire on par with the other LMG's.

So, who else on Smogon plays CoD4?

Note: I checked for similar threads, this was the only one
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29775&highlight=Call+Duty+Four
and it is from well before Call of Duty 4 was released and is all "CoD 2 was good lets hope this one is too". 5 posts total from September, so I didn't think it was worth bumping.

Maybe a nicer way to post your kit loadouts?

Name:
Primary:
Secondary:
Grenades:
Perk 1:
Perk 2:
Perk 3:

I also play, but on the 360 not PC. I don't think that there are any differences of note other than the smaller team sizes, player capacity. I usually run with this set for pretty much anything (Note I am lv35 Prestige1):

Assault (or something like that)
G3
M1911
1xfrag/1xflash
Bandolier
Stopping power
Steady Aim

I can deal with pretty much anyone from any distance greater than point blank, and steady aim is for those close quarters fights where i need to squeeze off a few quick shots.
I'd like to add a new aspect being, what game mode do you prefer/favorite maps?
I play a lot of Headquarters, as well as Freeforall, and the occasional Team DM.
Favorite Map: Pipeline/Shipment
LEAST Favorite Map: Gotta be Bloc. I'm sorry, I'm decent at sniping but this map SUCKS, virtually impossible to not just get rando-sniped. Runner-up is Bog.

EDIT: don't really know if the maps/gamemodes are the same for PC as 360/PS3. My Gamertag on Live is DrBekl, add me if you want to play.

I play online on the 360, I've played with a few people from here. Add hoverbus if you wanna play with me.

And this is a mans class

Name: ghost
Primary: mp5 w/silencer
Secondary: m9 w/silencer
Grenades: smoke grenade
Perk 1: c4
Perk 2: uav jammer
Perk 3: eavesdrop (lol)

s&d is manly what I play, will switch c4 to bandolier for tdm, or just use this;

Name: rifleman
Primary: m16 w/rds
Secondary: desert eagle
Grenades: stun grenade
Perk 1: rpg/bandolier
Perk 2: stopping power
Perk 3: deep impact

Sunday

Yeah, I'm on PC not console. I must say they kind of skimped on things like friends lists, but then again I guess that's what X-fire and the likes are for...

My least favourite maps are Bloc and Pipeline. Bloc is boring as shit if you're not a Sniper, and IMO being a Sniper is boring as shit. I jsut spend my time running through the buildings trying to flush people out to let the Snipers do their thing mainly. Pipeline I dislike mainly because I find it's design, well, nothing specific but the only close-quarters-ish stuff is in the tunnels below so I spend all my time in there. I just don't find it fun.

Favourite maps are Bog and, err, idk the name of the other one lol. Bog looks wicked at night, and I never get bored of trying to break through of the choke points on the very left hand side (if you spawn at the highway overpass), which suit my playstyle very well. Silenced MP5 never goes astray there :)

My favourite game mode would have to be Headquarters. I like a game mode where I can actually rush foreward to break through the enemys defence and have some of my teammates actually follow me! I get great scores on HQ with low kill levels because I'm always rushing the HQ and always seem to break through.

Kind of a CoD nub, but I get by. I was actually about to make a thread until I saw this one. I play the 360 version as well.

I generally use a Red Dot Mini-Uzi (It's a headshot machine and it works mid-range if you fire it in bursts) with an M21; I have Bandolier because I am not the best sniper and tend to fire two bullets anyway since I don't have Stopping Power and am using one of the weaker, semi-auto snipers. I actually can't think of what my third perk is right now since I change it a lot on this one but I am pretty sure it is Extreme Conditioning of Steady Aim.... I really can't find one that fits this one.

I've also been recently using a silenced G36c with a Desert Eagle, UAV Jam and Last Stand. Oh and 3x Stun but I will probably change that. It's great, never appearing on the radar is an easy way to win provided you know how to hide.

Oh yeah I forgot to say that the only level I don't like too much is bog, but I've learned that staying near the buildings is actually really fun. I've gotten used to Bloc and just do what Sunday does, except I attempt to snipe randomly in between assaults on the buildings..

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
My little brother NEVER STOPS playing this game, so to be honest I'm sick of the sight of it! He's ranked 1635th in the world though to be fair to him...Pr0x Sn1p3R is his tag...if any of y'all ever come up against him on the 360 please beat his arse for me. :)

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I use a bunch of kits, I have 4 main kits, then one kit I always change based on the map or gametype.

Primary: M16 w/ Red Dot
Secondary: Desert Eagle
Grenades: Stun
Perk 1: 3x Frag/Bandolier
Perk 2: Double Tap
Perk 3: Martyrdom

My "noob" loadout, doubletap is just habit with the M16, pretty much instant kill on any game type, especially Hardcore. Not sure why I use Martyrdom as I never really die and I don't run n gun with the M16, I should change that lol.

Primary: Barret 50 Cal
Perk 1: 2x Claymore
Perk 2: Stopping Power
Perk 3: Iron Lungs

My sniper loadout, I replaced the Barret with the R700 for awhile but I was too used to the Barret to switch and went back, Stopping Power is instant kill on anyone pretty much.

Primary: MP5 w/ Red Dot
Secondary: USP .45
Perk 1: 3x Frag
Perk 2: Juggernaut

I really only use this on close quarters maps like vacant, its cheap but it works so well, toss some frag, shoot some people and when my Juggernaut fails me drop a nade and hope I take the dude with me.

Primary: GOLDEN AK-47
Perk 1: 3x Special/Bandolier
Perk 3: Deep Impact

I use this alot, I can't count the number of times I've gotten a UAV in about 2 seconds because the opposing team doesn't know where I am shooting from, lots of fun with this thing.

Then I have my loadout that changes based on game type and map, I usually end up with an M4 w/ ACOG though and change my perks based on game type.

If you're using a 360 add mt GT: superwing

Primary: MP5 w/ Red Dot
Secondary: USP .45
When one is using the mp5 (or the mini-uzi) you should always pick the M9 as your sidearm. They share the same ammo type, giving you an extra mag for the MP5.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I did not know that, heh. Time to go change that as I really hate running out of ammo on small maps because as soon as you find a gun and pick it up, someone kills you. The more you know da da daaaaaa.

PS3...

Name: Overhazard
Primary: Scorpion SD
Secondary: M9
Grenades: Smoke
Perk 1: Bandolier/ Claymore
Perk 3: Martyrdom/ Deep Impact

I'm pretty much a suicidal, all or nothing, and run n gun guy. It's really a bad habit. I snipe occasionally but that ends up me running near point blank and shooting them.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Well, I took a three month break from this and just started playing again 2 weeks ago. I'm extremely rusty, and my K/D ratio went down a ton. Oh well, the more I play I guess I'll get back to how I was before I took the long break. Naturally my old clan got rid of me because of my inactivity, I don't blame them. I'll try and join another clan once I get better.

What sensitivity do you guys play on and what button layout do you use? I know some people play on 10 sensitivity, but I can't do that, lol. I tried Tactical but I couldn't get used to it. I may try it again, but I'm pretty lazy so I don't know.

My gamertag is XxBlueCookiesXx, the same as my username on here. Feel free to add me, but let me know who you are from Smogon, unless I can easily tell who you are.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I played this game once on my friend's XBox360. I thought it was pretty awesome. I definitely plan on playing it heavily when I get home from my internship and finish building my new computer. Hopefully you all will still be playing then.

Why does everyone have it for the 360 . . . weak.

Got this game recently, along with my PS3 -- still learning the ropes but it's fun as hell. All my friends have this game for the 360 though, which is lame, 'cause no one I know in person has it for the PS3.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that more people have 360s than PS3s.

Sunday

Patch 1.6 (and a few hours later 1.7, to fix some stuff from 1.6) is out, which gives PC users the maps 360 and PS3 users had the option to pay for for free (well, technically Nvidia is paying for them but it's no money out of my pocked so that's "free" to me!) I'm looking foreward to the new maps (although there was nothing really wrong with the old maps, variety is the spice of life ya' know).

a ban on "Noob Tubes", Marty, Last Stand and RPG's. Personally, I think it's a tad overboard but it really does make for a nicer environment in which to play.
Spamming the "noob tubes" is about all you can choose as the weapon perk from ranks 1-10 since no other perk is really worth it at that level (and you have no scopes yet). Otherwise I would say its a fine rule since those can be quite annoying when people are good with them, or even bad with them :x

Anyway, there is about 3 guns I favor depending on the maps, but here is my own little odd creation:

Name: NoobSpam
Primary: M1014 (Golden Auto Shotty)
Secondary: Deagle (usually just to stack the golds guns for kicks)
Grenades: Flash
Perk 1: GRIP/Fragx3
Perk 2: UAV Jammer
Perk 3: Deep Impact

The set looks odd on paper but it actually works really well for me. It was originally designed just for Grenade spam on Wet Work, but also the tight corners allowed for Shotgun rampages. The only range I get out of this set is the ability to throw a Grenade at an opponent :toast:. I primarily spam this on Wet Work, Downpour, and Vacant the most, but I have expanded the set to use it on just about any map that I want if I choose my spots right. The reason I go with UAV Jammer is because there is no real point in stopping power because if I use this right they are going down in 1 to 2 shots anyway. Shotgun needs severe close range, and not appearing on the opponents radar (if they have UAV up) as you try to make an approach is helpful, or if you decide to go camp a spot when they get UAV it works just fine too (camping is boring :pirate:). The grip is generally my favored choice as having pretty much no recoil to continue my noobpspam is always great, and only wetwork is where I really want to have 3x grenades. It's a fun, spammy set

My main for just about any other map is a pretty standard AK setup with as much power as I can get out of it (Deep Impact, Stopping Power). My brother just started to play this the other day and I find it funny how you progress through the game. When I first picked up the game I hadn't played a first person shooter in a long time and just LOVED everything with a red dot sight. EVERYTHING had to have a red dot sight on it for me to use it. He is still in that stage now :P. As I progressed in the game though I started to realize how great the other perks were if you could use them well and didn't need the scope. I slowly started to wean myself off scopes and got used to the grip with the shotguns (I never even looked down the scope on them anyway, I cringe when I see people do that with the shotty, your just slowing yourself down by a split second :x) and then moved onto the light machine guns (I hadn't touched them until level 45 on my first play through, and needed the EXP so I spammed them and came to love them behind my dear AK). Now I have turned into the stage where I don't use any scopes, and if I ever pick up a gun with a scope I do worse with it. PS3 doesn't have any features like hosting a public server and banning anything specific (I think with Private games amongsts people on your friend lists you can, but I have never tried it) so I can throw noob tubes on the AK to get the most out of it over a scope. I rarely find myself using them, but they are always nice to have if I run out of ammo or am playing Showdown (I must admit I spam the "noob tube" like crazy on showdown, the map was just made for them to be used).

I got it for the PS3. I'm tHe_MarKzMaN if anyone cares. On to my kits.

M16 Red Dot
Desert Eagle
Claymore
Stopping Power
Steady Aim

P90 Silencer
Desert Eagle
3x Stun
Juggernaut
Steady Aim

M4 Carbine Red Dot
Desert Eagle
Claymore
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

MP5 Silencer
M9 Silenced
Claymore
Stopping Power
Dead Silence

M40
Desert Eagle/USP .45 Silenced
Claymore
Stopping Power
Dead Silence.

Sunday

Phew! After a bit of a gaming marathon over the holidays I've finally made it to level 55 ^__________^ Next on the list is to get 69 RPD Headshots and 150 SAW, so that I can unlock the gold LMG. Meanwhile, I thought I'd share the loadouts I used to get there.

Name: Hardcore!
Primary: G3 w/t Red Dot Sight
Secondary: Deagle
Perk 1: 3x Stun Grenades
Perk 3: Steady Aim / Last Stand

This is my favourite loadout to use on Hardcore servers. H/C ups the G3's power to within the range of 1 shot kills on almost everything, and Stopping Power ensures anybody with Juggernaut also goes down in one hit. The Perks are mainly up to the user, but I like 3x Stuns which allows me to spam Stun nades into enemy hiding places and such. I used it over 3x Frag as I was, at the time of creating this kit, still trying to get the 150 G3 kills. Now it's just natural to use more than one Stun. Steady Aim's always nice when you're caught in a tight situation, despite the fact this kit should be used at mid to long ranges. Last Stand was for when I was trying to get the Last Stand challange completed...

Name: M4 Quick-load
Primary: M4 w/t Red Dot Sight
Perk 1: Brandoiler
Perk 2: Sleight of Hand
Perk 3: Steady Aim

Lovely spray gun! Feel free to engage enemies at both close and mid ranges with this kit. Most enemies will wait until you have to reload to rush you, but this loadout is specifically designed to catch the opponent offguard, as by the time they've charged you've already reloaded and are firing again with Sleight of Hand. Brandoiler bulks up your ammo supply and is absolutly necesary as with Sleight of Hand you'll run out a lot quicker then you realise. Steady Aim once again saves you the .5 of a second it takes to aim down the sights and lets you spray at close ranges.

My little brother NEVER STOPS playing this game, so to be honest I'm sick of the sight of it! He's ranked 1635th in the world though to be fair to him...Pr0x Sn1p3R is his tag...if any of y'all ever come up against him on the 360 please beat his arse for me. :)
I'm pretty sure I destroyed your brother one time, but I might be remembering it wrong.

I absolutely love this game. I went through the trouble of getting a Gold Sniper everytime I'e prestiged so far. I just enjoy doing it.

Last time I played(unfortunately its been about 3 weeks =()I has working on my third prestige and loving every minute with this setup:

Name: Shotty
Primary: M1014 Red Dot Sight
Grenades: Smoke (I play alot of Sabotage so this is helpful)
Perk 3: Extreme Conditioning

This is the best set up of Shotgunning in my opinion. It is surprisingly effective and catches a lot of people off guard. I've done quite a few 40-20 games with this in sabotage.

Name: Sniper
Primary: M40A3 ACOG Scope
Perk 1: Claymore
Perk 3: Deep impact

I don't know why but I love using ACOG'd Snipers. Sometimes missing is a little annoying but it feels much quicker when you aim. For the bigger maps I drop the ACOG and add Iron Lungs.

If I get my 360 up and running again, I'd love to play with you all.

Name: Somerandomname
Primary: M16 w/ Suppresser
Secondary: Deagle
Grenades: Flashbang
Perk 1: 3X Frag

Pretty standard set for most people.

Name: Somerandomname 2
Primary: MP5 w/ Suppresser
Secondary: M9 w/ silencer

Very similar to the first set but I use this on tighter levels with more corners.

Name: Stealth
Primary: Any silenced gun but it works well with M16, MP5, AK47u, or P90 (if your ok using the most op gun in the game)
Secondary: USP w/ supresser, but use M9 if your using an MP5 (they use the same ammo)
Perk 1: This is completely down to choice
Perk 2: UAV Jammer
Perk 3: Dead silence

Just make sure you stay away from people without UAV jammer. Have a whole team running this for fun :)

Surgo

goes to eleven
All the servers out there are hardcore, so I hadn't even realized until a few days in that people actually didn't die the first time you hit them with a 3-round burst anywhere on their body...

Anyway, these are the two I've been using so far:

M-16 @Grenade Launcher
M-9 @Silencer
Perk 1: Grenade Launcher attachment
Perk 3: Last Stand

Same, with Red Dot Sight and Deep Impact.

I'm still trying to see what's so good about the M-4 over the M-16. It looks pretty much the same or not as good outside of full auto, which I don't use anyway (but might not be bad on non-hardcore servers with the red dot sight, whatever).

The grenade launcher is kinda fun. I like using it when I'm not sure about a window. That window perch look somewhat suspicious, even if I can't see anyone? Grenade'd! Grenading suspicious windows has gotten me a few neat kills.

I recently got Last Stand, and I have to say that the number of kills that has netted me outside of hardcore servers has been staggeringly awesome.

I'm not quite sure but I think the m-16 is more powerful. I find it easier to be more efficient with my ammo though

Surgo

goes to eleven
I imagine that's because the M-16 shoots 3-round bursts, and the M-4 is stuck on full auto.

Awesome, it's great to see some CoD4 players on Smogon. ^-^ I myself am level 28 (I think) on the 4th Prestige, and I'm staying on this one, since I love the symbol. As for my classes (I don't call them "kits"...) I use a couple:

MP5 w/Silencer (Digital Camo)
M9 Pistol. (Not silenced, and the M9 gives the MP5 more ammo, if you didn't know)
- Bomb Squad/Flash x3
- Stopping Power/UAV Jammer
- Steady Aim/Extreme Conditioning

The perks depend on the map, if it's big, I put on UAV jammer to sneak around, and Extreme Conditioning to get places.

M4 Carbine with Red Dot Sight
Any Pistol
- Bandoleer
- Stopping Power
- Deep Impact

My standard "shoot 'em up" class. It gets shit done. Going 32-18 is easy with this one.

And, that's it for now. I switch up all the other classes on a regular basis, so I don't list those. But, I love the M14, G3, both Shotguns, and all the SMGs, besides the P90, so those are common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)