Other Metagames [Camomons] Bushfire: Zard-Y + Volc Offense (Peak Top 20)

> Bushfire: Zard-Y + Volc Offense <

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Hey Guys! I have been lurking long enough now and I think it's time to share my first RMT on this Alt. Obviously Camomons is an exotic format and not many people will read this but anyway. I peaked in the Top 20 and I'd like your help to come even further. I didn't change much since I first developed this team so there are definitely points for improvement and I am happy for any suggestions. The team revolves around a double fire/grass offensive core of wallbreaking Zard-Y and bulky QD Volcarona.

Proof of Ladder:

Teambuilding Process

After writing the provisional sets for my offensive core I was looking for mons to support them. Priority is definitetly something you do not want to miss in this meta, especially when playing offense and for me the best prio user is Dragonite with Extreme Speed, STAB and banded. Here, all my Mons suffer severely from enrty hazards, but I wanted to keep the team as un-passive as possible so I was looking for more offensive hazard control. I slapped Defog on Charizard and decided to try a special Lando set for preventing Rocks in the first place. So I straight up stole a set from an SM OU team showcase I read earlier. Shoutout to Advantage! (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/till-i-collapse-1k-rmt.3600317/) This was fitting because Lando was designed as a lead here that my team was missing, and it benefits heavily from the Camomons meta since it gets STAB Explosion. At this point I was lacking Mons that could take hits and also a Scarf user for speed control. I always liked AV Hoopa for its ability to tank hits and threaten massively at the same time and a Dark/Ghost typing lets it fulfill this role even better at least defensively. Overall Kartana is one of the better Scarfers in OU and can also act as alternative wincon. I also wanted a wallbreaking attack stat bc apparently people still love to use Chansey in this Meta because they can get a nice clean STAB Seismic Toss (lol).

The Team

FIRE/GRASS

Fire walk with me (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

The team's undisputed MVP and absolute wincon. It is basially the bulky OU set with some more speed to outpace Greninja at +1. STAB Giga Drain makes the move/set synergy even better. Best thing is that too many mons attempt to take it on when they can't so I get to setup even in early or mid game sometimes. It even beats Grass/Steel Heatran 1v1 without having set up before if Tran doesn't run Roar ot Toxic. Phazing walls are a big problem tho if they have the correct typing because the spread does not deal enough damage at +1. Also if Volc gets toxiced i pretty much have to change my game plan completely every time.

FIRE/GRASS

All Around The (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Defog
- Roost

The team's wallbreaker. It often weakens the few checks that Volcarona has. I chose Defog over any Hidden power because with STAB Solar Beam there is rarely a time to use it, and I get off a lot of Defogs on forced switches. Hazard control is obviously a priority for the team with 2 Mons being weak to Rocks and one Sash and one Multiscale user. Also the rare Webs team can give me problems so Defog is well worth it.

NORMAL/GROUND

Tony (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

So the reason why this is here is apparent I think. STAB banded E-Speed catches many threats like Beedrill-M or Tapu Koko at full HP. When Multiscale is active, it can also take pretty much any hit from any offensive threat as long as it is unboosted or super effective. The reast of the Set and also the typing might seem kind of random but it is really not. Banded STAB EQ can OHKO most steel types when they don't have the appropriate secondary typing. For those cases, I put on fire and fighting coverage, which might seem weird when I already have 2 offensive Fire Types but I never needed other coverage when laddering. Problems occur when choice-locked or when worn down by hazards and the occasional Rocky Helmet. It also can't beat any dedicated physical wall without a crit, which often hinders my team because I have to rely on Volc or Zard to break them down.

GROUND/NORMAL

CHIMPCAT (Landorus-Therian) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Imprison
- Stealth Rock

I can use a ripped off nickname when the set is ripped off anyway right? Shoutout once again to Advantage for the set and shoutout to D+ Emvee for ripping through the GBA this season so far. But anyway: In a meta where you can't even predict your opponents typing it is good to have a dedicated lead. When played well, it prevents opposing Rocks while setting up our own and it takes out 1-2 mons in the process. When played badly, it gets outplayed by other (faster) leads like Azelf or max speed Chomp because you essentially have to correctly predict on which turn they go for the attacking move. Sometimes it also loses a turn when my opponent predicts the Imprison but i really don't know how to improve the set.

GHOST/DARK

Native Instruments (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpA / 104 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Fury
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Pretty standard AV Hoopa I guess. ''Switch into a move and threaten'' is the name of the game here. T-Bolt is mandatory for the omnipresent Steel/Flying mons. Tbh I am often unsure if Hyperspace Fury or Psyshock deals more to Spdef mons and if the coverage is useful like that so any suggestions are welcome! About the stat spread, this is what I felt most comfortable with after playtesting.

GRASS/FIGHTING

Wu Tang (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut
- Defog

As I was mentioning in the teambuilding process, I was lacking a mon that could take a physical hit or two and also an effective scarfer. I felt like Kartana was the best choice here for an offensive build but I am not completely content with this spot yet. I tried to give it the best possible offensive typing with the available moves but bc a lot of defensive mons have a steel/ghost typing or something like that it gets walled easily. It was a Jolly nature before but I changed it for Adamant and haven't lost an important speed matchup since. Psycho cut is actually a nice coverage move in the meta because of the many poison types like poison/fairy Cresselia. Emergency scarfed Defog is self-explanatory for this team I think.

Conclusion

The general idea of Zard paving the Way for Volcarona is working pretty well often but the team also has its weaknesses and I want to adress some of them here so you guys can maybe come up with a solution. If stall has enough phazing options and the right typings my team gets hard walled. Also status can be a menace to my team, especially toxic rendering Volc pretty much useless. Also as you have probably noticed I have 2 times 2 mons with the same typing on my team. The typing have synergy so its not too much on an issue mostly but when there is a big threat with the appropriate typing (flying and dragon are most problematic) and a decent speed tier I have not many anwers. This is especially problematic because my fast/priority revenge killers in Kartana and Dragonite are both choice locked.

Anyway, it is a very fun team to play with and I encourage everyone of you guys to try it and give me some tips and suggestions! Also general RMT writing suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)