Can Pinsir effectively begin battles?

I was thinking about my team, and I'm considering putting a Pinsir on it to counter opening Weaviles....I ran some numbers on Marriland's calculator and I got these results:

Assuming Weavile has a + Atk nature (Some of them don't), I had it use AA on a Pinsir with ~260 Defense, which is for a neutral nature.

I got:
Min Max Avg
125.47 147.45 136.46

....If Weavile doesn't have a + Atk item. So nope, no OHKO, and then Pinsir comes back with Close Combat, which does about 600+ damage if Pinsir has ~370 attack and Weavile has ~230 Defense. So that's a mega-1HKO to Weavile and if AA is Weavile's strongest offense against Pinsir, then it can't OHKO it, barring a Critical Hit.

With Life Orb on Weavile...137 damage x 1.3 = 178.1 damage maximum. STILL not a 1HKO. Weavile can 2HKO Pinsir at best. Pinsir has a 100 base Defense, mind you, which fends off it's main physical threats pretty well. Also, Life Orb might not be seen on as many Weaviles because of all this damn Sandstorm abuse...

So what do you guys think?

Weavile will probably switch out, unless it has Focus Sash. Weavile's not that big of a threat when you consider that pretty much anything with Choice Scarf counters opening Weaviles.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You also have to consider that besides Weavile, Pinsir doesn't really stop much. If you do want to start with Pinsir, I recommend that you start with Stone Edge, which will still OHKO Weavile and badly hurt any Gyarados/Salamence that think they get a free switchin.

Well, Pinsir may have Hyper Cutter, so you probably don't want Intimidators to switch in at any rate.

Yeah true if the person who has weavile know about pinsar they will switch out, But most people wont be expecting that, I never thought about pinsar, If i had weavile I would try to kill pinsar with my weavile so good choice.

Well, Pinsir may have Hyper Cutter, so you probably don't want Intimidators to switch in at any rate.
pinsirs 2 abilities are hyper cutter or mold breaker, so intimidating wont have any effect to pinsir no mater what.

But since you can't do much against, SpecMence, Gengar and other other commom leaders, I see no point on using Pinsir just to kill leaders Weavile.

Well, it can be useful to catch some Ttars off-guard, so maybe, MAYBE, Pinsir deserves some love

Yeah, if I use Mold Breaker, Intimidate goes through. Would Scizor stop Weavile effectively as well, I wonder....

Scizor has more Attack power, but it doesn't learn any rock/fighting moves..although there is the obvious X-Scissor, which I believe OHKOs Weavile anyway...

Yeah, if I use Mold Breaker, Intimidate goes through. Would Scizor stop Weavile effectively as well, I wonder....

Scizor has more Attack power, but it doesn't learn any rock/fighting moves..although there is the obvious X-Scissor, which I believe OHKOs Weavile anyway...
ice is weak to steel. scizor w/ STAB iorn head might OHKO it

Ooh, I forgot about that....so I guess Scizor is then a better option that Pinsir in terms of starters?

Pinsir is like a Heracross without fighting STAB or 4x weakness to Flying. It also has higher defense than Heracross, but doesn't learn Megahorn. I give mine Close Combat which destroys T-Tar, EQ, X-Scissor, and Stone Edge.

I wouldn't use it as a starter, though. It would probably work as well against T-Tar as Heracross, seeing as it has the same speed, but higher defense.

Rock and Dark are both weak to Fighting, Tyranitar is Rock/Dark and Brick Break is Fighting.

Hmmm....
But which of them get stab running off 130 attack.Why would you use brick break when you have two perfectly good stab attack on something weak to the attacks .Then miss out on extra power of stab to beat other stuff for move to beat something you beat anyway.

Back on topic ,Don't use Pinsir or Sczior as starters.

Hmm, well nothing else in my party fits the bill as starters. Plus, since 90% of Wi-fi starts off with Weavile, Scizor would be good to scare them off and if they don't run, then they get 1HKO from Iron Head/X-Scissor/Brick Break.

Yeah, but Gyarados, who walls Scizor and is also a common lead, and gets a free DD on the switch.

I suffer from the same thing, I have nothing suitable as a lead.

Leads are kinda over rated,Because anyone with common sense switches out their counter.

Common leads Swampert,Gyrados,Salamence,Weavile.Scizor could do decent job i guess, if u have no other choice,You could also put U-turn on Scizior which would help the cause alot.

Well, the rest of my team is Spiritomb, Starmie, Dragonite, Ninetales, and Gliscor....I suppose I could start off with Ninetales, with his 100 base speed and Timid nature. I could do a first-turn Hypnosis, then Nasty Plot on the switch or something...

Then again, Ninetales has low defense and Weaviles could 1HKO, potentially....but if I see a Weavile, I could switch to Scizor and have him handle it..

In your case Scizor is better choice for your team ,you try to run weavile might just use pursuit .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)