Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

almost done guys

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Name: Krilowatt
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard
Movepool:
Level-Up:
H Night Slash
H Sand Tomb
– Bubble
– Charge
10. Spark
12. Detect
15. Copycat
19. Aqua Jet
24. Discharge
30. Imprison
37. Confuse Ray
43. Haze
48. Guillotine
52. Perish Song
55. Heart Swap
57. Zap Cannon

TMs/HMs:
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM03 - Water Pulse
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Iron Tail
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM29 – Psychic
TM31 – Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Shock Wave
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Secret Power
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM49 - Snatch
TM50 - Overheat
TM54 - False Swipe
TM55 - Brine
TM56 - Fling
TM58 - Endure
TM66 - Payback
TM67 - Recycle
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM72 - Avalanche
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM77 - Psych Up
TM78 – Captivate
TM79 – Dark Pulse
TM81 – X-Scissor
TM82 - Sleep Talk
TM83 - Natural Gift
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Pluck
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
HM01 - Cut
HM03 - Surf
HM05 - Whirlpool
HM06 - Rock Smash
HM07 - Waterfall
HM08 - Rock Climb

Egg Move Stuff:

Egg Groups:
Water 1
Fairy

Moves
Ice Shard - Lapras, Seel, Dewgong, Snorunt, Glalie, Froslass
Mirror Coat – Corsola, Squirtle*, Wartortle*, Blastoise*
Counter – Breloom, Squirtle (3), Wartortle (3), Blastoise (3)
Mind Reader – Breloom, Poliwrath
Draco Meteor – Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Kingdra
Sheer Cold – Lapras, Glalie
Poison Fang - Mawile
Flail - Feebas
Follow Me - Clefairy, Clefable
Metronome - Clefairy, Clefable
Me First - Slowpoke*

*Chain Breed
(3) - 3rd gen move Tutor

Move Tutor:
AncientPower
Bug Bite
Fury Cutter
ThunderPunch
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Bounce
Dive
Swift
Aqua Tail
Outrage
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Magnet Rise
Earth Power
Helping Hand
Magic Coat
Low Kick
Signal Beam
Icy Wind
Gastro Acid
Zen Headbutt
Role Play

Brace yourselves, folks. We're here at the last poll of CAP 10. After this, there are literally no more steps. I hope you had fun and learned a lot along the way, because I know I did. Vote for the sprites you would like to see on the shoddy server!

We will not allow posts in this topic such as "I voted Sprite." Put some substance into your post. This means that you need to back up your post with reasoning or you will be infracted. Needless to say, this also applies to making statements like "those sprites are awful."

Submissions:

Chaoscrippler said:
DougJustDoug said:

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Still going with DJD, I'm really digging the sheen on his shrimp in comparison to chaoscrippler, which looks kind of flat. I'm also a big fan of the size, cartoons did the best in this department imo, because I really did not see how this was supposed to be that big.
As well, it's the only one where I really like the shiny version.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Still going with Chaoscrippler's. His design, to me, actually looks like a Pokemon. The whole design gives it the feel of a Pokemon. Doug's just looks like a shrimp.

Chaoscrippler's sprite looks to comical to me. Krilowatt is meant to ba able to come in on some of the most fearsome threats there are. As such it should seem focused and DJD's sprite does just that. To me it portrays how Krilowatt should be acting in battle. Passive until it needs to strike.

Chaoscrippler's looks way too cartoonish.
DJD's reminds me of existing Pokemon, primarily Caterpie. It doesn't seem "too 3rd gen", and has a beautiful palette, shiny and normal. It matches the art flawlessly, which will be very nice when they go up side-by-side.

While the posing doesn't seem as agile as Cartoons!, DJD's does appear ready to draw pistols. CC's front sprite reminds me of a small dog rolling over to have it's belly scratched. It's dynamic, yes, but I could never figure out what it was doing.

Backsprites are both good, but CC's seems to have a softer shell, possibly due to it's sheen. The antennae seem a little wonky, and honestly I don't think the claw shape on the backsprite matches the front sprite.

All in all, at the end of the day, DougJustDoug's sprite is the one I'd rather be staring at.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chaoscrippler's sprite is way too big and the lack of a bipedal stance is seriously offputting, as it highlights Krilowatt's status as an animal more than it does a Pokemon. I still think we should stick to Aragornbird's original design, as you can't get any better than that.

All in all, at the end of the day, DougJustDoug's sprite is the one I'd rather be staring at.

Tough choice as always...

I ultimately went for Chaoscrippler, the front sprite is just incredibly fun and shows off a kind of mischievous nature well suited to such an unpredictable Pokemon. I also can't fault the back sprite in the slightest. :toast:

Of course I also think DougJustDoug has a great entry. Probably my only beef is that back sprite, the eye looks a little too high up (or the head too flat) compared to the front sprite (which is anatomically perfect).

It's such a cliche response by now, but I really don't care too much about who wins as both are brilliant haha

Well since cartoons! is out....... I'll have to go with Chaoscrippler, as it is much closer to the hg/ss style of sprites. The pose is more interesting, and the more original. For the most part I'm voting Chaoscrippler because the backsprite is worlds better.

I like doug's pose much better, and I hate chaos's pose. Unfortunately, Chaos's just looks so much more like a mon; dougs looks like a drawing, while chaos's looks like a genuine mon. so i voted for chaoscrippler

I voted for Doug for the same reason zach the great did.

Chaos Crippler's sprite looks weird, flat, in addition to having an awkward

no ofence but I think that dougs sprite is kinda plain
chaos sprite seems more like a pokemon and I really like the pose

I voted for Chaos Crippler's on the basis that I could actually see that in Heart Gold or something. Doug's just possess the Gen 4 Pokemon sprite feel, though I could see it in a Gen 3 game...

I voted for chaos because his sprite looks like a pokemon. You could put in front of a kid and convince him it was a pokemon. Doug just dougs is a great sprite, it just doesn't give me that feeling. Chaos's has some character to it and an active pose.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Something about DJD's eyes and its back stance arms just doesn't appeal to me, so I voted for Chaos'.

I made an account just so I could vote for ChaosCrippler, because his actually look's like a Pokemon. DJD's may have better overall quality, but it doesn't feel like a Pokemon.

I originally voted for Cartoons! but am now going with Chaos.
DJD just does not look like a pokemon to me. The overall colouring or design really doesn't do it for me. Some people say they would rather stare at it and I just can't do it. Although I do not like Chaos' that much more, it is more appealing overall.

Man, this was a pretty hard decision. Both have their own appeals and I lost track of all the back-and-forth I had with myself so... At the end of the day, CC's sprites are more "dynamic" but DJD's sprites make so much more sense in comparison to the original work. This really was a very hard decision, but I'm going with Doug.

ChaosCrippler's sprites have such vibrant colors, the shaping of the antennae on the backsprites is beautiful, and the expression gives it... life or something.

His sprites may not match the original artwork perfectly but I'll take "aesthetically pleasing" over "accurate" any day.

Could you explain me why it's weird and flat?
I'm not an art major, I just know it when I see it. The shading is monotonous (which is probably relevant to that complaint), additionally the pose is awkward (especially considering that it's supposed to be facing the viewer, and it isn't; this is probably why everything looks less shaded). Also, the gender dimorphism makes no sense (which is irrelevant, but is another complaint I hadn't written before).

I'm not an art major, I just know it when I see it. The shading is monotonous (which is probably relevant to that complaint), additionally the pose is awkward (especially considering that it's supposed to be facing the viewer, and it isn't; this is probably why everything looks less shaded). Also, the gender dimorphism makes no sense (which is irrelevant, but is another complaint I hadn't written before).
I don't at all see how it presents itself as flat. Perhaps you're confusing that with the color being flat, as it's supposed to be. The is pose a tad akward, but it's still the more pokemonish. And it's pokemon, it isn't going to be logical.

Chaoscrippler again. DougJustDoug's sprite looks a bit generic, with little difference from the artwork. It's a good sprite, nonetheless, but I like Chaoscrippler's vibrant colors and pose more.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DJD's sprite reflects the texture of the shrimp better through the use of highlights, whereas Chaos' is just shading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)