What should be CAP 10's name?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Vote on a name for CAP10, from the options here.

reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
Typing: Water/Electric
Stat Spread: 151/84/73/83/74/105
Ability: Trace
Ability: Magic Guard

Here are the advanced submissions in the order that they were posted in the thread, for the purpose of clarifying the origins if necessary.

Deck Knight said:
Final Submission:

Prawnto [Prawn + Pronto [an idiom for immediately] (also pwn)]

Used in a sentence: Get me a counter, Prawnto!
Jibaku said:
I know this has been said before, but

FINAL SUBMISSION

Jumbolt

Jumbo (shrimp) + Volt/Bolt. Pretty simple to remember, too. The Jumbo also helps explain the 151 HP.
hydrolphin said:
This is quite possible the most corny name posible but it must be said...

Overkrill

Overkill (To destroy with a bunch of nukes) + Krill (A Shrimp-like creature)

I guess this will be my Final Submission
j. franky said:
Final Submission

Krill + Illumine

due to 10 characters max unfortunately Krilluminate can't be used so this is shortened to..

Krillumine

Krill is a shrimp-like marine invertebrate animal. Illumine means to make lighter or brighter, and ab's design fits this because it is literally glowing!
Gamer128 said:
Final Submission (though it was in the title last time)

Krilowatt

Simply a mix of kilowatt and that extra "r" for the krill reference. It brings out how it's more of an Electric type than Water. Also, it has watt in there anyway.

No double L's. While the extra L really adds to the krill reference, it should be blatantly noticeable that the sounding of Krill is in there. Therefore, one L is just as good as two. One L just looks more pleasing to the eye when reading.
DougJustDoug said:
Ebion
Ebi (Japanese word for shrimp) + Ion (an electrically charged particle)

This is a tiny pokemon, so I think a short name fits nicely.

I also like Thegamer's submission of "Krillowatt". It's a long name, but it fits together perfectly.
Admiral_Korski said:
Final Submission

Scurrint

Breakdown: Scurry + Current + cute spelling change

Explanation: I was thinking about the word "current" for naming this CAP and how it applies so well to its typing (electric current and ocean current) and wanted to build a name off of it. It just so happened that the word "current" closely resembled the tail end of the word "scurry," which I can easily visualize a small shrimp with 105 base Speed doing as it frantically counters things. Changing the "e" in current to an "i" gives it a cuter visual impression without looking forced, and "Scurrint" is what came about. Enjoy!

Two things:

• Once again, put some substance into your posts and no "I voted for x". This is entirely standard procedure and is just here for the sake of people making sure it still applies here.

• No being a Negative Nancy.You may think I'm kidding here, but I'm actually not. I'm really getting so sick of reading people's posts of "man, all of the options in here SUCK, oh well". I picked the options, and to be honest, I really don't care if you think they "suck". This is basically a thinly veiled attempt at being venomous over your option not making a poll. This rule also applies to people who are going to bitch at me over their name not making this poll. The criteria was "things that I really liked that got support", which applies to every name in this poll. Complaining will get you nowhere.

Vote away!

I am voting for Krilowatt because I like how it implies that it is a krill which is similar to what a shrimp is and watts to imply that it has electrifying powers. Quite nice.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I voted for Scurrint, because I love the name. The subtle use of the word "current", which has relevance to both Electricity and Water, combined with the fact that it entirely matches the personality inherent in the art that we've chosen, makes it an entirely top-notch name in my opinion. It's also completely adorable, and the simple fact of the matter is that this has excellent potential to become a cutemon.

Great slate beej! i seriously fuckin love all of these names for the first time in CAP name poll history. maybe partly because i helped choose the slate ;)

I was so undecided at the beginning that i actually had to go through and eliminate options one by one.

The first one i eliminated was Krillumine, because i decided i didn't like it as much as Krilowatt. Jumbolt reminded me too much of that goddamn whale, so it was out too. Then, as i decided that this pokemon's concept hasn't really got anything to do with overkilling anything, i threw that one out.

at this point, it got really difficult. Prawnto, Ebion, Scurrint and Krilowatt are all really great names ;___;

on principle, i don't really like using other languages in names (japanese is only somewhat of an exception) but eb does fit quite well. pronto isn't really what i think of when i see this art. scurrint is seriously a friggin adorable name and i'll be really sad if it doesn't move on to the next poll.

i voted for Krilowatt because i'm canadian so i love the metric system! but mainly because it is the perfect combination of water and electric influences without shoving either of them down your throat.

I voted for Krilowatt because it is simply excellent. Upon hearing it and reciting it aloud, I knew that it was the name for CAP10. It fits. Perfectly. It just does. When you read it, it immediate relates back to a kilowatt, and when you say it out loud you totally catch the krill reference. I'm going to be a broken record here, but it feels right, and that's the most difficult part of a name to achieve.

After narrowing it down to Krilowatt, Ebion, and Scurrint, I went with Scurrint for reasons similar to Beejs; I simply feel that it matches the personality of the current art perfectly.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aside from being what amounts to the home team, I support Prawnto because it gives a sense of immediacy. I'm building a team and I have a problem with a specific Pokemon or a specific combination of Pokemon. All I have to do is put in some effort on the EVs and the moveset and I have a pokemon capable of plugging the gaps in my team.

It screams immediacy and functionality. Krillowatt is certainly a good descriptive name, but it doesn't have that kind of impact. It doesn't make this CAP sound like it has a unique purpose.

I liked quite a few that apparently didn't qualify for the poll. However, there were a good few choices here anyways. I ended up going for Krillumine as it was the best of the few names which didn't shout I AM A PRAWN AND I AM ELECTRIC so loudly I felt like they were telling a two year old. Overkrill. Krillavolt. Prawnto. hmph

I voted for Scurrint because I feel it fits the CAP's size and personality more. We had so many people in the art poll begging for a cute mon and now that we have it it should get a fitting name. I think Ebion fits but it reminds me of the bottled water 'Evian' every time I say it. None of the others are even kinda cute though they are good names.

I ended up going for Krillumine as it was the best of the few names which didn't shout I AM A PRAWN AND I AM ELECTRIC so loudly I felt like they were telling a two year old. Overkrill. Krillavolt. Prawnto. hmph
In my opinion, if CAP10's most defining feature is that it's an electric prawn, then the name's supposed to scream I AM AN ELECTRIC PRAWN so loudly that a kid could understand. In fact, that's why I objected to the use of foreign languages in the submissions thread.

In my opinion, if CAP10's most defining feature is that it's an electric prawn, then the name's supposed to scream I AM AN ELECTRIC PRAWN so loudly that a kid could understand. In fact, that's why I objected to the use of foreign languages in the submissions thread.
It just seems like a name should suggest a pokemon's characteristics and fit it as a name as well. I chose Krillumine because it was slightly more subtle than Krillavolt's pun and so seemed more like a real pkmn name. Krillavolt and the other most shouty names there sound like corny nicknames, not like a name befitting the pokemon.

I'm surprised Scampere didn't make it, as it seemed to have a lot of support and was a pretty good name. But these are all good as well.

As of now it seems obvious that Krilowatt is winning this, and that's great. I love that Krilowatt kind of gives the impression of an enormous, tough, Electivire kind of poke yet refers to a tiny but still very threatening shrimp.

However, I voted for Overkrill because it's awesome, funny and uses the bad pun in a way that works for it.

Yeah i really like scurrint due to its subtlety and its accuracy in describing our cap. The first thing i think when i hear "scurrint" is "scurry" which is a fair representation of what it does, by being both very fast and having a tendancy to switch alot (i would assume).

It also shows the typing well due to sounding like current, something both electricity and water travel through.

Ah well, looks like Voltrawn didn't make it....not that I should be surprised. A name that only gets 3 comments or mentions wouldn't garner much support in a poll anyhow.

Anyway, all of these options are great, but the selection process still wasn't too difficult. Jumbolt, Krillumine, and Scurrint just don't "click" for me as names, I don't know what it is about them....that left Prawnto, Overkrill, Ebion, and Krilowatt. Then I had to pick off Overkrill and Ebion; I believe in the suggestion thread someone mentioned that having 'overkill' built into the name implies that it can blast through a whole team, and CAP10 isn't built to do that, nor should it. This I agreed with in full. As for Ebion, it's short and it's great as a name, but it lacks the obvious shrimp-ness and electric feel the name ought to have - unless, of course, you know Japanese.

That just left Prawnto and Krilowatt. At this point I pretty much let personal biaswin; I've been a fan of Krilowatt since it was suggested, and it's just punny enough and just subtle enough to work perfectly. Still, if this had been done like previous CAPs and just started with a massive bold poll (which I admit was good to get rid of, though I did want to see how many votes Voltrawn could've gotten), I would definitely have voted for everyone of the Final Four names.

Ah well, looks like Voltrawn didn't make it....not that I should be surprised. A name that only gets 3 comments or mentions wouldn't garner much support in a poll anyhow.
voltrawn very nearly did make it actually:

Beej says:
oh hey
I just found another name
that's better than Krillemall
VOLTRAWN
:A
that is great and original
Beej says:
Voltrawn is like
Volt
and Prawn
but it's VOLTRON
he eventually decided against it. it wouldn't have gotten my vote but i agree that i think that's a pretty clever name! (he liked krillemall too, for a bit)

I voted for Scurrint.

1) I like the name, as it isn't in your face about it's typing, nor does it sound like something which would imply something else.
2) It is the only submission I didn't initially dismiss in the submissions phase.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I suppose we'll have to settle for Krillumine here, since it's relatively low on the cheese factor and actually kind of sounds like something you'd name Pokemon.

Scampali is still the best name ever though. Shame on you guys.

EDIT: holy shit you guys seriously want this to be named krillowatt?

EDIT: holy shit you guys seriously want this to be named krillowatt?
Nope. They want it to be named Krilowatt. ;)

I believe Beej picked the correct names for the poll, except Scampali should've honestly been on there, and Krillumine should not. My opinion, though, so don't flame me for it. Of course, I voted for my own name, but Ebion or Prawnto would be great as well.

Voting for Scurrint because it's very cute, describes our CAP perfectly, is pleasing to the eye, and is generally likable. Cheesy though ;p

I was torn between Krilowatt and Prawnto. Ultimately, I chose Krilowatt for two reasons. A) Krilowatt is actually mentioned in two submissions in the title post. B) I had to admit to myself that when I say "Prawnto" in my brain, my first association is to Tonto, not Pronto.

I would have liked for Anti-H's "Zapoteur" to have been there, but it probably wouldn't have beaten Krilowatt.

I went for Overkrill, since it sounds the most unorthodox, and that it would be fun for it to run a LO set to live up to its name.

Ebion? reminds me of gundam.

Went Prawnto. It's easy to say and remember, and has a playful appeal that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's the sort of name you'd give to a cute dog if it were actually a large shrimp that sat on your shoulder and expressed itself exclusively by saying 'Prawnto' in different intonations.

It seems that Krilowatt is running away with this (not that I'm disappointed at all, its a fine name) but I still voted for my own Overkrill. Mostly because of personal bias, but I prefer the really punny names.

I voted for

Jumbolt

Because it represents the desired aspect that this pokemon is supposed to do (bulky and utility and whatnot).

All these submissions were so good, it was hard to pic. Also its a cute name and a cute design.

First, I chose which ones to eliminate. Krillumine reminds me too much of Illumise, so it's out. Overkrill sounds too much like the name of an offensive Pokemon and doesn't fit with the concept of a defensive utility counter, so it's out. Prawnto is also out because it doesn't refer to CAP10's Electric type, which is supposed to be the primary type. Ebion reminds me of Evian too much. Jumbolt implies that CAP10 is heavy and hit for large amounts of damage by Grass Knot, which I oppose, because otherwise, CAP10 would not be able to counter Empoleon as well. This leaves Scurrint and Krilowatt. I ended up voting Krilowatt because it flows better than Scurrint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)