CAP 10 CAP 10 - Secondary Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here we will be discussing possible secondary typings for CAP 10. Here is our concept, again.
reachzero said:
Name: Utility Counter
General Description: This Pokemon is capable of being customized to counter virtually any specific Pokemon, but is incapable of countering a large number of Pokemon at the same time.
Justification: It is not unusual for people to say that "versatility is broken" from an offensive standpoint; less attention is given to versatile defensive Pokemon such as Zapdos or Hariyama. This Pokemon would allow us to study the impact of having a Pokemon that is capable of dealing with such varied threats as Salamence, Lucario, and Gengar....but not all at once.
Questions To Be Answered:
--How useful is defensive versatility in a metagame with so many different threats to account for?
--Given the existence of a Pokemon that can hard counter only specific major threats, which threats will be prepared for the most?
--How would team building change if certain difficult-to-prepare-for threats became easier to prepare for?
--Which is more useful, a Pokemon that can somewhat handle a wide range of threats, or a Pokemon that can handle a few threats extremely well?
The primary typing is Electric. Considering that our concept requires this Pokemon to be a valid response to a variety of Pokemon at a given time, this typing will very likely be what seals the deal in regard to what it can switch into and what it can't. What type combinations will facilitate the most diversity in terms of what one can counter?

This thread will be closed when the first secondary typing poll opens. I encourage all of you to make your cases for various types, but please don't thread hog.

I think water is a great secondary type. I see lanturn and then die on the inside, because every one of my pokemon with earthquake is killed by it. Helpful resistances, few weaknesses, and with this typing it probably has access to thunder wave (even though water didn't change that). Surf and thunderbolt do well together, few resist them both (and those that do aren't commonly seen). So I vote Electric/Water typing for the key resistances and strength.

ELECTRIC'S RESISTANCES: Electric, Flying, Steel.

The only circumstantial resistances are Electric, and Scizor's Bullet Punch (possibly Metagross's Meteor Mash).

ELECTRIC'S WEAKNESS: Ground.

Pretty circumstantial. We COULD chalk it up to the ability to avoid this, but it seems that this weakness will need to be removed.

TYPES THAT RESIST GROUND: Bug, Grass, (Flying is immune).

Alright. What weaknesses do we tack on with those?

GRASS'S WEAKNESSES: Bug, Fire, Flying (Negated by the electric subtype), Ice, Poison.

...no. There's 2 common types there (Ice and Fire), one type with a common move (U-Turn), and... Poison. NEXT!

BUG'S WEAKNESSES: Fire, Flying (Negated by the electric subtype), Rock.

That's more doable. Fire and Rock are still common, but it isn't as bad as Grass's weaknesses were. Still, what does flying get?

FLYING'S WEAKNESSES: Electric, (negated by the Electric subtype.), Rock, Ice.

Still two common (and abusable) weaknesses, but they can be handled.

If we are attempting to get rid of the Ground Weakness, either Flying, Bug, or Levitate should be chosen.

Well it is easily possible to counter our greatest nemisis: GROUND with a ability, such as levitate, I belive that keeping our options open for abilities will proove to be very benificial later on.
Since there is a high power move of the ground type that's passed around like candy to every pokemon, this has to be countered in some way, shape, or form.
I suggest doing this through typing.

Within this limit, we have a few choices:
(halves damage from ground moves)
BUG
GRASS
(negates damage from ground moves)
FLYING

I suggest flying, because bug and grass both inheret weaknesses that won't be covered, as well as having little merit offensivly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, if the ground weakness doesn't pose much of a problem, than there are a few other types that I would suggest:
GHOST - (addition of two type negations, as well as a useful bug resistance for U-Turn)
STEEL - (a ton of additions for resistances if a 4x ground weakness isn't a concern)
FIGHTING - (see argument by T-major, below)

Secondary typing (the way I see it, anyways) depends on if we want to add more resistances, or keep neutrality; I propose either mono-Electric for neutrality, or Fighting for more resistances. Since mono-Electric was explained by the first poll, and is pretty much self explanatory in the first place, I'll focus on Fighting.

First off, I voted fighting for the first poll; however, by the end I supported both types equally, so that is not the reason I suggest it again. just so I don't get accused of favouritism towards Fighting or something of that sort.

Now, Fighting is a good second type for a few reasons. while the resistances it adds are useful (Stealth Rock and Pursuit being most notable), what really helps is that Fighting is one of the only types (I think the only other one is Water, but correct me if I'm wrong) that will add the least amount of weaknesses; with Electric neutralizing Fightings weakness to Flying, Psychic is the only weakness being added. if we do choose to use Levitate as an ability (I'm under the impression a lot of people will suggest it as an option later on), that will give CAP10 only 1 weakness to an uncommon offensive type. if Levitate is not used, we still retain good resists and neutrality with the ground weakness being something that would be there regardless of second typing.

Water comes a close second, as it would only gain a weakness to grass, which is less of a threat than Psychic, admittedly; however I feel the resistances that Fighting provides to be slightly more favourable.

Because I have no generally great idea for secondary typing, I have decided to list a few types that come to mind when thinking about secondary typing. I am also keeping in mind that CAP 10 will customisable in terms of move sets, so discussion should probably focus on resistances rather than STAB.

Water- Water doesn't alleviate the ground resistance currently threatening CAP 10 but gives it a way to hit back. Water also has a reasonable trade-off in terms of resistances, giving CAP 10 a grass weakness in exchange for resistances against Ice, Fire and other Water types.

Grass- I remember several people in previous discussions suggesting Grass as a secondary type. Grass as a defensive type gives CAP 10 the added resistances of Water and Grass. Grass would also alleviate the Ground weakness all together but in return, burdens CAP 10 with weaknesses to Fire, Ice, Bug and Poison. Even with Thick Fat, CAP 10 would still have a nasty U-Turn weakness which potential victims of this CAP might use to escape danger, while dealing a hefty blow.

Fighting- Another type that doesn't relieve CAP 10 of its Ground weakness. I have chosen it here mainly because it has the handy resistances against Stealth Rock, Pursuit and U-Turn all of which might hinder CAP 10 in its task. In return, Fighting only burdens CAP 10 with an almost non-existent Psychic weakness.

Bug- A second plausible type to alleviate CAP 10's Ground weakness. In return for resisting the additional types of Fighting and Grass, Bug burdens CAP 10 with a Fire and Stealth Rock weakness.

Flying- The last type we could use to alleviate the Ground weakness. Flying gives CAP 10 another Stealth Rock weakness but avoids Spikes all together. It also has a weakness to Ice that would have to be considered. In return it gives CAP 10 resistances against Grass, Fighting and Bug.

I have mentioned the Ground weakness often, mainly because of the fact that Earthquake is one the most used attacks in the game, but please note that I am not suggesting that CAP 10 actually needs to avoid Ground. It might do very well, even with an Earthquake/Power weakness.

At this stage I am not trying to glorify any types. I am just stating the weaknesses and resists of some of the possible candidates.

I'd like to suggest something controversial: I want to make CAP10 Stealth Rock weak.
Reason, to prevent CAP10 from doing anything else than countering what it's supposed to counter. If it's been in once and made his kill, coming in a second time will already put him 50% down. That would greatly hamper his ability to go on a killing spree of even more pokemon, which is exactly the point of the concept. Kill one pokemon, job's done.

There are 4 types that would allow to do this, Bug, Flying, Fire and Ice.
Fire: 4x Ground weakness? No, this would kill the concept.
Ice: Rather not, BoltBeam STAB would be ridiculous. Also, Ice is a terrible defence type and would add a lot of weaknesses which is unwanted for this CAP.
Flying: There already is a Electric/Flying pokemon which already does really well in OU, Zapdos. Not only that, but the role Zapdos fulfils isn't even that different from CAP10. By choosing flying, we are basically making a Zapdos+ which doesn't help us explore anything in the metagame.
Bug: My favourite of these 4. Not only does it give the SR weakness, it conveniently takes away the ground weakness. A weakness to fire is a little annoying, but easy to overcome.

My vote goes to Bug for these reasons.

I think Water would be a good secondary typing. I've always looked at Lanturn and thought "damn what a good typing, if only its stats were slightly better", and we can do exactly that with CAP10. It only has weaknesses to Grass (negligible) and Ground (can be fixed through ability if absolutely necessary), and resists Steel (4x), Water, Ice, Fire and Flying. It also gives it two good STABs to work with, and that means we can reduce its attacking stats somewhat to prevent it from using these STABs too well (ie moving away from the concept).

I have to go with water. Water only adds a grass weakness while adding some really good resistances. If CAP10 gets levitate then the pokemon will only have one 2x weakness and a good number of resistances. And grass is a relatively easy weakness to play around. Even if it doesn't get levitate it will still only have 2 weaknesses.

There are two things I would like to suggest:

1: Mono-Electric. Electric already is good in terms of lack of weaknesses, and adding any other type, especially one to sponge Earthquakes, will give Electric more weaknesses than it's worth. It's not worth tradeing a Earthquake weakness to a Weakness to Rock, and Ice, or Fire, and Ice, or Rock and Fire. If CAP10 is faster than your common Earthquaker, then, it probobly won't be losing.

2: Electric/Water:
I was on the fence for Electric or Water, and while this might sound like a beefed up Lanturn... OK, maybe that's what it'll end up as. Let's face it, a lot of common Earthquakers dislike either Water, Electric, or the Ice Beam that 99% of water types automatically get.

Off the top of my Head:
Tyranitar: Hit SE by Water attacks, probobly will be slower than CAP10
Gyarados: Thunderbolt
Salamance: Ice Beam [Provided we get it]
Heatran [Earth Power]: Water move
Flygon: This one will probobly outspeed CAP10, but can fall on the switch-in to an Ice Beam
Gliscor: Ice Beam/Water Move
Metagross: Depends on CAP 10's stats if it could switch in or not
Swampert: Will probobly end up as the counter to an Electric/Water CAP 10.

So, aside from defeating most common Earthquake users, we gain a weakness to Grass [Not common] and Electric [Canceled], but gain resists to Fire, Ice, and Water, ALL very common attacking types.

Keeping EQ weakness, being able to discourage common EQ'ers, and gaining 3 useful resists > Being weak/immune to EQ, and gaining even more harmful weaknesses

I'm vouching for Fighting here again. It only adds one uncommon weakness in Psychic, but carries a Rock resist, as well as resists to the ever common U-Turn and Pursuit. Being Fighting type also discourages many users of EQ (most notably Rock/Steel types) from switching in.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ice may sound tempting, but it is terrible defensively, and Boltbeam STAB probably isn't worth giving yourself craploads of weaknesses. That sort of thing should be reserved for glass cannons.

Since Ice isn't good, going for the closest thing would be Grass(in terms of offensive coverage) or Water. Water is btter defensively, so I support that.

to clear up some of my confusion; Earthquake is pretty much the only ground move we need to worry about, right? well we already now how to handle that, so thats a great start. besides EQ, what other moves do we want to protect ourselves from? if I checked right (correct me if I'm wrong), the only types that leave us with 1 extra weakness are Fighting and Water. Lets compare:

Water
Resists added: Water, Steel, Ice, Fire
Weaknesses added: Grass (Electric typing neutralizes the Electric weakness)

Water resist is indeed useful, but then again most Water move users could be taken down with Electric STAB, bar Swampert. Steel is pretty much exclusive to Scizor with a few exceptions; resists are good regardless, but could probably be handled without. Ice and Fire resists are indeed helpful though. Grass is a better weakness to have when compared to Psychic. (which it self still pretty uncommon)

Fighting
Resists added: Rock, Dark, Bug
Weaknesses added: Psychic (Electric neutralizes Flying weakness)

Stealth Rock, Pursuit and U-Turn resistances are useful, yet are more specific when compared to what waters resists. Stealth rock is widely used, and taking as little damage as possible on switch in may be something worth having. Pursuit would be a problem if we had to switch out on a Pokemon CAP10 wasn't meant to counter. U-Turn is also common, and resists to it are good. Psychic is uncommon, and users of it could be taken care of with an appropriate moveset.

So. both offer resistances to common moves, and as far as I can tell are pretty evenly matched. I say we decided what moves would end up being the biggest burden, and chose what would be the best type based on that.

by the way, I noticed some things in this quote that I pointed out in bold

Off the top of my Head:
Tyranitar: Hit SE by Water attacks (fighting attacks do x4, better than water), probobly will be slower than CAP10
Gyarados: Thunderbolt
Salamance: Ice Beam [Provided we get it] water typing isn't required to get ice beam. we can give it to any typing if we really need to in order to be effective
Heatran [Earth Power]: Water move or Fighting move
Flygon: This one will probobly outspeed CAP10, but can fall on the switch-in to an Ice Beam See Salamance
Gliscor: Ice Beam/Water Move see above
Metagross: Depends on CAP 10's stats if it could switch in or not
Swampert: Will probobly end up as the counter to an Electric/Water CAP 10.

I support Fighting as the secondary type. A few reasons behind this.
  1. Switching - An important part about taking down a specific threat is being able to switch in. Fighting resists Stealth Rock and would give CAP10 an advantage to switching into an opponent no matter what it may be. At the same time a resistance to Pursuit would be useful for switching out once the job is done (not a huge difference but it can help).
  2. Unique Resistances - Resistance to Bug/Steel/Electric/Dark/Rock is good for predicting a switch in. Scizor and Tyranitar have to predict a switch in with Superpower (Earthquake would be more common for Tyranitar) in order to avoid a STAB Fighting attack or possibly a powerful Fire attack for Scizor. With only two weaknesses of Ground/Psychic some sets would need to set aside a moveslot just so CAP10 couldn't be a complete counter. These two weaknesses are also two of the easiest weaknesses to deal with and make it easy to slide into any team.
  3. Excellent STABs - Fighting/Electric isn't exactly easy to wall but still doable. Gliscor, Wormadam and Wormadom-G, Parasect, Claydol, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Latias, Celebi, Exeggutor, Venasuar, Roserade, Victreebel, Vileplume, and Rotom essentially wall these STABs, so while Electric/Fighting isn't bad coverage it still has plenty of threats (though some listed are not great candidates in OU). Even so having access to an option such as Ice Punch would alow CAP10 to score a solid hit on all of the listed wallers.
As it has been previously mentioned, the actual moves will effect how well CAP10 will be at taking down a said threat. You can have perfect typing and ability but if you lack the stats/attacks you can't reliably bring down a threat. Typing should be about the defense portion (base stats will effect this greatly as well).

Not sure, but why would we want to be able to switch in and out so safely? I see comments like "resistance to Pursuit would be useful for switching out once the job is done", when the concept clearly states that the pokemon is only there for one counter and should be useless afterwards. We should not be thinking about how to conserve CAP10 as much as possible and give it resistances in a way that it can easily and happily live to fight another battle (or more). For that reason, I wouldn't like to see a resistance to SR.

@T-Major. It's true that only water and fighting add 1 weakness, but Bug for example adds 2, but takes away the ground weakness. So in turn, you still end up with only 2 weaknesses, fire and rock. Fire is a novelty move, pretty much always used non-stabbed and pretty easily walled. And like I mentioned, I want the Rock weakness.

PeanutFlipz mentioned Grass too and even though it's not SR weak, it still seems like a rather decent second type.

You want a rock weakness? You want to switch in, take 25% damage AND an attack, possibly two if you're slower? I think we want to minimise the damage taken while switching in personally.

Not sure, but why would we want to be able to switch in and out so safely? I see comments like "resistance to Pursuit would be useful for switching out once the job is done", when the concept clearly states that the pokemon is only there for one counter and should be useless afterwards. We should not be thinking about how to conserve CAP10 as much as possible and give it resistances in a way that it can easily and happily live to fight another battle (or more). For that reason, I wouldn't like to see a resistance to SR.
Unless CAP10 traps and KO's the specific threat it is there to defeat there is nothing stopping it from switching out. Gyarados is not immediately defeated when Vaporeon switches in, to give a quick example. Unless CAP10 was given a recovery move I'd avoid straight up giving it an SR weakness. Being neutral to Rock is not something I would necessarily argue as much. Having to switch into a threat CAP10 could take care of more than once would be the selling point and make it an actual counter.

Looking at the other examples I see Hariyama and Lanturn. Neither are SR weak (Hariyama is resistant) but they do what CAP10 is going to do just fine. They are also slow since they need well managed defenses and HP which implies they will be forced to take a hit or two as they take down the said threat or force it out. The real big point is they work on their ability to switch in wether it be resistances or an immunity as well as plenty of bulk. SR weakness takes a massive cut out of anything's durability; look at Zapdos/Dragonite/etc. If CAP10 doesn't find a clean switch it can't properly counter a threat that is important to the team.

If the statement was "The Perfect Revenge/Trapper" I would agree we should limit it's ability to switch in constantly. However in this case it would only cut back on CAP10's usability.

Yes, I want to take SR and 1 attack and Im hoping CAP10 will get a crapload of speed to outrun almost everything (I see a counter of being able to switch in and immediately strike back at high speed). And seriously, if we're assuming a slow CAP10, I don't think any combination of two types is going to let us live through 2 hits easily, regardless of SR weakness. It will always be some prediction on when to come in. CAP10 Water/Electric will still not want to come in on an EQ or grass move, CAP10 Electric/Fighting will still not want to come in on a Psychic move and EQ ofcourse. And Electric/Bug doesn't like Fire and Rock moves. I trust the defences will be high enough though, to come in on any other move, regardless of SR weak.
I only want the SR weak so that CAP10 doesn't turn out to be a sweeper and has no issue to keep coming back in again and again and kill more than it was intended to kill.

Edit: @Rhys. I perfectly understand your point. But like you say yourself, it wouldn't be right if this pokemon could just keep on switching in constantly. And perhaps a SR weak is too much, but a resist is too much IMO. Although I believe that a SR weakness is still workable. Zapdos is SR weak, has a very similar role to CAP10 and can switch in more than once easily as well as still wall or attack what is needed to be adressed. True, it has a recovery move, though.

OK, I've been through the unexplored Electric comboes (doesn't include mono-Electric, Electric/Water (Lanturn exists you know), Electric/Flying, Electric/Ghost, Electric/Dragon (I'm counting CAPs too) and Electric/Steel), and what I have here is a complete lowdown of all the advantages and disadvantages of each one

Electric/Fire

Adds a Fire, Ice and Bug resist, all 3 of which are useful. Burn immunity is worth a mention too. Grass is another resist that you gain, but Steel isn't cause Electric already resists it. But not only does it amplify the Ground weakness, but it also throws in a Water and Rock weak. That's PROBABLY a bit much to pay for such good qualities...

Electric/Grass

Water and Grass. That's about all it adds in terms of resists, but it does remove the Ground weakness. The price? Addition of Fire, Ice and Bug. To weaknesses. It also removes Flying resist. A raw deal if you ask me.

Electric/Ice

So what, you get an Ice resist? Big deal. While you aim for that, I'll unleash my can of whoop as via exploiting your Fire, Fighting or Rock weaknesses. And if you survive that, I'll finish you off with a no-longer-resisted Bullet Punch. See where I'm going?

Electric/Fighting

Now this is more like it. You get 3 brand new resistances in Bug, Rock and Dark. All three are very useful indeed. Even better you don't have to pay much for them, only gaining a Psychic weak and losing your Flying resist.

Electric/Poison

Grass and Poison resists aren't much, but Fighting and Bug resists are, as is Toxic immunity, which is a plus since this guy will be primarily defending. Downside? An amplified weakness to Ground and a new weakness in Psychic. If anything can get you off of this typing, it'll definitely be the x4 weakness to Ground.

Electric/Ground

Transforms the Electric resist into an immunity, and also adds a Poison and Rock resist. In return? Water, Grass and Ice become your new weaknesses. If you really want an SR resist, you're better off going for Electric/Fighting.

Electric/Psychic

Not really a good type to be honest. Sure, you gain a Fighting and Psychic resistance out of it, but you also get Bug, Ghost and Dark weaknesses, the latter of which is crippling. Electric/Poison and Electric/Bug don't have anything like such a weakness, so they're much better options for pursuing a Fighting resist if you truly want one.

Electric/Bug

I personally like Electric/Bug, but I just don't think it's right for the job. I mean sure, you get a Fighting resist (plus a Grass which is meh) and you lose the Ground weak. And I don't mind relinquishing the Flying resist since it's also meh. But adding a Fire and Rock weakness? That's just a bit much I'm afraid.

Electric/Rock

Um... no. First of all, you only really benefit from a Fire resist. Normal is never seen outside of Explosion and MAYBE STAB on some cases and Poison is never seen... ever. And just for getting that Fire resist? You get a Water weak, a Grass weak, a Fighting weak, minus a Steel resist and an amplified Ground weak. Not even Electric/Fire's that bad and it also gets a Fire resist.

Electric/Dark

Might as well cover the last unused type combo while it's here. Psychic immunity, Ghost resistance, and the most and only ACTUALLY useful of the bunch: a Dark resistance. You lose out on a Fighting and Bug weaknesses. Like Electric/Ground with its SR resist, you're better off going with Electric/Fighting if you truly want the Pursuit resistance.

So that's everything that Nintendo hasn't covered in terms of Electric combos. Electric/Fighting seems to be the shining beacon of light out of the lot of 'em. Electric/Poison comes up second in my eyes, but its 4x Ground weaknesses lets it down by a mile.

Hmm, now this is a bit tricky, what type goes well with Electric?
I'm leaning towards Water for now, but may be persuaded to change in the future. If we take a look a Lanturn we can see that this pokemon will not be easy to take down. That is where the Electric/Water combination will fit nicely.

I only want the SR weak so that CAP10 doesn't turn out to be a sweeper and has no issue to keep coming back in again and again and kill more than it was intended to kill.
Then wouldn't you just advise against a high Speed stat? The only time a slower Pokemon can effectively sweep is using a massive stat boosting move with either impressive bulk or priority or both. We could simply avoid giving it any fantastic set up sweeping moves such as Nasty Plot or Swords Dance and a not-so-impressive offensive stat like 100-105. However this is advancing the whole process forward several threads so I'll just stop now and say a bulky and generally slow Pokemon is what I see CAP 10 ending up as and we can always avoid making it a sweeper later.

@Rhys. I perfectly understand your point. But like you say yourself, it wouldn't be right if this pokemon could just keep on switching in constantly. And perhaps a SR weak is too much, although I believe that it's still workable. Zapdos is SR weak, has a very similar role to CAP10 and can switch in more than once easily as well as still wall or attack what is needed to be adressed. True, it has a recovery move, though.
I think I missed when I said it shouldn't be able to switch in constantly, perhaps you misread something I said. However once again you can use the other examples for comparison. Once Hariyama takes down Weavile/Tyranitar/Heatran/etc. it doesn't keep switching back in to tank through things because it generally can't. Even with an SR resist Hariyama isn't doing much other than countering specific threats and with lack of recover outside Rest/Talking it doesn't last long against powerful neutral hits, many of which score 2HKO's (especially on the side not extremely invested into). The same goes for Lanturn.

I don't think Zapdos was a good example for CAP10, but that is solely my opinion. I see Zapdos as being able to handle a LOT more than a few select threats. That may just be how I personally view and use it. Though I can see how others can see it otherwise too. However if a majority of the voters decide to side with you on the SR weakness I would simply move to add an ability or move that alows it to cleanly recover HP. But that's getting ahead of schedule.

Agree to disagree. I don't think much else needs to be said on the matter and would only waste space.

for me, there are four possibilities:

Grass is a solid choice. Electric/Grass is weak to Fire, Ice, Bug and Poison. That might sound bad at first, but if you throw Thick Fat on there, it has virtually no weaknesses. I've heard one or two people whine that "u-turn is crippling blah blah blah" but it's not. Scizor, the only u-turner who packs any punch at all, has base 65 speed and rarely invests. If this CAP gets a reasonable amount of speed and a Fire move, Scizor will not be able to use u-turn against it. This is akin to Celebi's Bug weakness; yeah you can't switch Celebi into Scizor, but once it's in, Scizor has to get the hell out. Resisting Water/Electric/Grass/Steel is a pretty neat combination imo.

Water is awesome as well. It doesn't remove the Ground weakness, but it does make it very hard to switch Ground-types in. Sadly, most Earthquake users haven't got Ground STAB, so just how much Water would help in this respect is dubious. On the other hand, Fire/Water/Ice resistances is a good reason to celebrate.

Steel is worth a closer look. Obviously this basically commits us to Levitate (or Magnet Pull...) but Steel comes with the usual advantage of resisting nearly every type in the bloody game. Dragon/Ice/Electric/Rock resistances would be the main reason for this option.

Mono-Electric is totally cool too. It doesn't pack a whole lot of resistances, but a single weakness? yes, please.

I really don't understand the support for bug/fighting. Fighting resists dark, rock and bug. that's not too bad i guess, but those really aren't that important (Rock is okay, but the only good Dark user will hit us for a super effective Earthquake anyway). Bug is just a worse Grass imo. A Stealth Rock weakness is probably the only weakness in the game that can't be "played around".

I personally feel that mono-electric is the best way to go.
If we want this thing to be able to be customized to the users needs as well as be able to switch in and counter, adding a second type will add more weaknesses(which could prevent this poke from seeing use) as well as new resistances(which, with the right stats, could turn this poke into a wall no matter what). Ground is already a good way to counter this CAP, meaning that we could see changes in movesets if people want to prevent their pokes from being countered by CAP.

Anyway, mono-electric would be awesome, but i wouldn't mind water or fighting.

Okay...just flicking over some arguments here.
At the moment I am leaning towards Mono-Electric, followed closely by Water and Fighting.

Each has its own selling points, but at the moment Mono seems the most practical approach to me, simply because the sheer neutrality to all moves (except ground) make it a very appropriate Utility Counter. Because Electric is incapable of hitting all potential threats, one would really have to customise it, so that it would be effective at its job.

At this point I am leaning the most toward Electric Grass with Monotyping in second.
I know; 5 weaknesses. I kinda like that. Not necessarily that it needs to keep that many but I think our CAP needs a reasonable Achilles heel and the existence of more than one threatening weakness (not flying or psychic, etc) allows for abilities to customize the pokemon to its roll while still leaving weaknesses that must be played around. I get the feeling that some people want this CAP to be so easy to use that it will have to wall half the metagame with its typing and bulk. There are other typings that may accomplish the same thing but I do not think that we should be creating a pokemon that can switch in on everything all of the time. And to be honest, I just like the idea of Electric/Grass...

Quick thoughts on other notable typings:

Water: I get a very 'wallish' feeling about this typing. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic typing but I don't like its direction. (If it gained a more significant weakness than Grass I would probably like it better)

Fighting: Not much for or against it... I feel the resists it adds are useful but not defining at all and it doesn't add much of a weakness either. I feel like you might as well leave it Mono but that's just me.

Bug: I really dislike the SR weakness as that will hamper CAP10 99% of the time though I feel a resistance is not necessary. I also don't know why someone earlier said that fire moves were not usually STAB. Though that is true, they are STAB on common enough threats to take note of anyway (not to mention it is packed often for coverage as the only thing to take OUs #1 poke out). However, minus the SR weakness I like this a little better than most. (It still leaves two significant weaknesses to work with) And tailoring between the two weaknesses would leave you vulnerable to much different things depending on the choice.

My mind is far from made up on this topic. I just know that I am worried that CAP10 will not end up with a very exploitable weakness and that doesn't fit the spirit of the concept in my eyes.

EDIT: If Mono kept its ground weakness I would be very happy with it as well but that is far from guaranteed at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)