CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aragornbird, I prefer the red for no reason other than I think it looks best :P.

Chaoscrippler, I really like it and I know this is a little late but I think it would look even beter if maybe he was holding the needle in the other hand and was in a little more relaxed pose, seeing as its supposed to look like a ogre.

PenguinX, I love the originality, although I do feel like it doesnt really represnt its stats :/.

Those are my sugestions, you three are my favorite entries at this point, but good luck to everybody :).

Right, i've done some work on the front and changed the back quite a bit taking into account everything people have said so far.

Front changes: heart is rounder, needle is facing more towards the viewer, shades have been darkened, highlight on button eyes are darker and hip is less exaggerated.

Back changes: complete repositioning.

I'm probably going to tweak the back a bit more but i'm pretty happy with the front now.

Final Submission:

Male Front/Male Front Shiny/Female Front/Female Front Shiny
Male Back/Male Back Shiny/Female Back/Female Back Shiny
I'm pretty sure the back sprites shouldn't be cropped off at the sides like that. Looking through the HGSS sbacksprites I can't find any that are cropped off on either side.

here are my all the psirtes with the normal colors.
I'm going to finish the details of sprites and then make the shiny ones..​

Last time I also forgot to mention that the heart was at the wrong place because of the gender diffrence. The male has his heart at the wrong place (literally and figuratively :p)
The male also has a black heart, to make it stick out a little bit more, and since black is a appropriat color for a dark-pokemon :p
The male also his bigger pins then the female

and I have a question: how many xolors can you actually use?​

DarthVader317 I like yours best, the pose makes it look like he's up to something,
and I like how the back eye is still bigger than the front one. can't wait fot the back sprite

peng

Unmasked
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Theres what I have so far. Expect my final submission in the next 5/6 hours, since I'm not gonna be around for the next week or so, by which time submissions will probably have finished.

Constrictive criticism would be greatly appreciated
i also decided to make sprites for voodoll just to add to the feel of my sprites and to practice spriting since im not very good yet

edit: @smallviser thanks for the advice, ill redo the backsprite like i was planning to a while ago anyway, and shuffle the pins around on the male version again to try and get them right

J24, I love the angry face and the dangling string (in the female sprite). That said on the male sprite, it overlaps one of the pins, and that really doesn't work for me... perhaps just move that pin a dozen pixels down.

I'm not convinced by the backsprite. Look at all the art (your own included) from the front - this doll has a pretty humanoid shape, with something approaching shoulders and certainly a wider body than head. Your backsprite doesn't reflect that. You might benefit from taking a photo of your own back, to get the outline right.

I love the Voodoll pics. The female is my favourite, the pin placement just seems more balanced to me.

I think a lot of the sprites here are a lot better than mine in terms of detail. However, many of them are also quite large. Larger sprites do allow for more detail, but CAP11 is a DOLL. Some of these sprites are larger than Tyranitar's sprites! How many times have you seen a 6-foot plushie? Never. I guess most people would rather make a large, detailed sprite than a small, anatomically corect one with some details.

havent shaded the arm yet, but C&C on whether or not the backsprite looks better now would be greatly appreciated

So far, my favorite is Aragornbird. I really like the red and black shiny, as like doug said, it reminds me of Deadpool. Keep up the good work!

J24, to me it's a huge improvement. More like a doll now than a cactus ;)

With strong competition, I've no idea whether you'll be selected for the final slate. I've certainly enjoyed looking at your design, though, and you've put a lot of effort into getting the details right - good luck!

i think i finally finished
time to shinyfy it now
and i dont mind if i dont make the final slate (although it would be nice) it was still fun
Edit: does the 8-bit button on the window that pops up when saving in paint.net make it 8-bit truecolour?

If this helps anybody with sprites, this "Voodoll" could arguably be a fifth generation pokemon. SO, if you have been watching the pokemon black and white updates, the sprites constantly move. So keep in mind keep a nice fighting pose instead of something charging towards you. Just a little tip that you could ignore or not.

this is what i would submit for my final submission, if i was sure of all the rules. the only one im not sure of is the 8-bit colour rule
i have been using the 8-bit button on paint.net but im not sure if that makes it 8-bit truecolour

anyway

male normal/male shiny/female normal/female shiny
i'll remove the pallette on the actual final submission though

____M______M Shiny____M Back___M Shiny Back

____F______F Shiny____F Back___F Shiny Back

I don't get it. I don't get why my backsprite looks so wrong. I just don't get it. HELP ME OUT PLEASE. As it's my first CAP entry, I think I just want to get a final submission out of this, but it'd be nice to be happy with it, wouldn't it?

Also, I'm not sure if I should ask here, but I'm going to anyway >_>. How should the final submission be layed out? All 8 sprites on 1 sheet? 320x160 or 325x163 (1 pixel seperating the 80x80 boxes, and if this, should that box be invisible?)? What about the order of sprites?

here are my all the psirtes with the normal colors.
I'm going to finish the details of sprites and then make the shiny ones..​

Last time I also forgot to mention that the heart was at the wrong place because of the gender diffrence. The male has his heart at the wrong place (literally and figuratively :p)
The male also has a black heart, to make it stick out a little bit more, and since black is a appropriat color for a dark-pokemon :p
The male also his bigger pins then the female

-snip-

and I have a question: how many xolors can you actually use?​
I absolutely LOVE the front sprite! It's a very different approach compared to the other ones i'm seeing, and i'm just loving it! keep up the good work!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
noobiess, you've got an interesting pose there, quite unlike any other sprite. :)

Well sleeth, I would love too help you out,
First of all the shape of the head is a little too rectangle, You should make it more parabolic.
The sprite is also a little bit of turned too much, with most official sprite you would have been able to see both hands.
Also there are a little too many pin on the body, it now looks like a pincushion.
I like the idea of also having a heart on the back side, but then you sertainly have to make the body turn to make it more visible...
Anyway, I hope I could help..

And thanx for the comments :)

I don't get it. I don't get why my backsprite looks so wrong. I just don't get it. HELP ME OUT PLEASE. As it's my first CAP entry, I think I just want to get a final submission out of this, but it'd be nice to be happy with it, wouldn't it?

Also, I'm not sure if I should ask here, but I'm going to anyway >_>. How should the final submission be layed out? All 8 sprites on 1 sheet? 320x160 or 325x163 (1 pixel seperating the 80x80 boxes, and if this, should that box be invisible?)? What about the order of sprites?
I can't help with the submission stuff (just started posting after... a very long time spent lurking), but I like your front sprites a lot.

As for the back sprites, I think the head is too boxy and there aren't any shoulders, which is what's making it look more like a punching bag than a doll. The heart also shouldn't be showing if you're looking at it from that angle. You're basically looking at it from the back/right side, and the heart is on the left in the front. I'm also not sure the needle would be crossing the body (either way, it looks pretty cluttered just barely showing over the head), and I agree with noobiees that there are too many pins.

Your front sprites are really awesome, from the pose to the colors, and they actually look like they could be real in-game sprites style-wise. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the back ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)