CAP 18 CAP 18 - Final Product

I was glad to participate in this CAP. It was the first time I participated, and also the first CAP I lurked in. However, I am and have been familiar with the CAP meta. Well done on this one, DLC, and to all of the TLTs. I can't wait to use Volkraken in the playtest.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is the first CAP where I've lurked (sometimes voted) from beginning to end, and I think I've gotten a hang of it n_n. I plan on contributing more next time. Let's go CAP 19!

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
totally zoned out at the movepool stage and later but this CAP went pretty well I think.

no way in hell i think the core idea will still work but the process was fun so who cares

u-turn tho y

I've got to say I quite like Volkraken. I think it's getting a lot of flack because it isn't a one-mon win condition (as compared to, say Cawmodore), but it's important to keep in mind the initial concept when evaluating. The fact of the matter is, while the originally intended core of Luke/Latias/Volkraken isn't quite up to snuff, Volkraken was designed from the beginning not as a team-sweeping behemoth but as a role-player, able to slot into a team and provide valuable support to its teammates. It shouldn't be able to crush everything or outspeed everything or set up and win games on its own. It's designed (quite explicitly) to play a role in a core, and for that purpose I think it's fantastic.

It's also important to keep in mind the inherent flaws of a playtest ladder: people are overpreparing like crazy for Volkraken, which presents a frankly diminished view of its viability. I think if the meta had more time to stabilize we could see a better picture of what Volkraken's strengths and weaknesses truly are.

I've been using a Scarf/Analytic set for the most part, and in my experience it puts in good work. It works as kind of a Pseudo-trapper; you come in to revenge, and your opponent either losses the 'mon or takes a VERY big Overheat to the face. Obviously, hazard control is crucial, but unless your opponent has a dedicated Volkraken counter in the wings, something's getting messed up (mind you, most people have two - see above). There are probably scarfers out there in a better speed tier, sure, but in terms of pure damage Volkraken is out in front. It also helps to pair it up with something that eats its counters for breakfast. While it may be hyper-specialized, I've been running a two-scarfer team pairing Volkraken with Kyurem-B and the offensive synergy is GREAT (but, to reiterate- hazard control, super crucial).

Overall, though, the question with CAP is, as always, did we fulfill the concept? I'd say you can make an argument in either direction. I think Volkraken is a valuable mon that plays well with a number of partners - I myself am again fond of Kyurem-B. But did we, from top to bottom, design a viable and competitive core based on Volkraken and our two chosen 'mons? No.

The take away from all of this (and from CAP history, I'm looking at you Voodom) - designing cores from the bottom up is HARD. It requires a lot of natural chemistry, and more than a little dumb luck.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Edit: HeaLnDeaL, Typhlito, and I collaborated on animating Volkraken's sprite. HeaL broke up the front part into two pieces, and I broke it up further and recomposed it together. Typhlito made the common animation, while I made the rare animation.

Last edited:
I had my first Volkraken dream last night. In my dream, I was preparing a team in-game for something, and my older brother (who does not play competitively) came to commeng on my team, saying I needed to add a Volkraken. He said something along the lines of "it's so powerful!" I responded "but I already have a Volcarona, who can sweep with Quiver Dance. I don't need a Volkraken." He said, "but we worked so hard to make it!" So eventually, after a big debate, I decided to add in Volkraken to my in-game team.

So basically, I guess I had a big conflict on Volkraken's viability in my sleep, and as it turns out, I thought it was worthy of being on my team. We did good on this one. (Is it normal for me to have a dream about this?)

To quote a popular, yet mildly evil corporation "I'm lovin' it"

This has been a fun CAP to work on, and while I didn't get to put as much influence in as I did with earlier CAPs (I've been on and off hanging around since around Tomohawk or so), I still enjoyed helping be a part of this!

Now excuse while I get dragged off by McLawyers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)