CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 7 - Art Poll 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mos-Quitoxe

As far as typing is concerned, i find Mos-Quitoxe's more subtle than Yilx's, as the way the face is created is spooky enough not to need all those eyes, which I find a little bit non-pokemonish, and a paper-made pokemon is directly enough grass-connected.
Moreover, paper seems quite adequate with Sketch, and the posture is cool too.
Yilx's design is quite interesting though, but teh eyes deter me.
What I want to say is this: Mos-Quitoxe's design would fit more than Yilx's one among first-generation pokemons designs.

Mos-Quitoxe

I feel I need to justify my reasoning. First: neither designs really "fit" the typing. The only way that anyone can argue for Yilx's design is that he took a dead miko and put a flytrap on her head, thus spreading the idea that grass/ghost types can only be some sort of haunted plant. MQ's entry, meanwhile, uses a creative and subtle interpretation of the typing by thinking of origami paper as dead tree matter, which honestly makes great sense.

Second: neither really "fit" the stat spread. Yilx's design looks rather special-based (and earlier supporting art perpetuates this idea). One may make the same argument for MQ's design, too...but in my opinion, looks more reasonable to be physical or special-based depending on what it sketches. Remember, when CAP2 sketches a move, the pokemon can be special or physically-based, despite the spread.

In terms of design itself, you can't really argue whether something "looks like a pokemon" or not because that's subjective. Both designs are complex but intriguing. Yilx's design, while impressive, does seem like a ghostly Lilligant mixed with Victreebel/Mawile. However, MQ's entry's, along with all the supporting art, swayed me to follow and support the design (similarly as Cartoons!' entry/supporting art for CAP10 stole my heart), and seems to be the stronger design for CAP10.

Anyways, as they say, "tl;dr". Good luck to both entries!

Yilx

Really, I don't know why people have been saying that Yilx's entry adheres more to CAP2's typing, because it doesn't. Mos's entry is without a doubt amazing and portrays the concept -- Sketch, stats, and typing -- very well, but I personally thing that Yilx's entry will make things a lot more livable in the long run. A more humanoid look for CAP2 will make spirting much more flexible and choosing the movepool a lot easier; Yilx's entry also seems more likely to have a non-competitive ability such as Unnerve or Forewarn. I love Mos's entry, but it just seems too stiff, so I'll just stick with Yilx's Miko Flytrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)