CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaprikorn: your names are a bit on the nose, aren't they? I like Wraithorn, but Haunthorn and Phanthorn don't really click for me
samtheman: I like it! Vinecra! It sort of rolls of the tongue and does a pirouette off the handle (that's a good thing)
Birkal: It's a good name, but like thysil; it's hard to get unless you've been told what it is (love your avatar though)
Pwnemon: It doesn't really fit, seeing as there's no trace of a skull anywhere on the design of CAP2

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

Fantoleur

literally a complete mash up of the french words for ghost (fantome) and flower (fleur). i kinda like it because it sounds elegant but eerie! idk though everyone else will probably hate it, oh well~

also i love the names Necturnal and Mikami, those are great ideas!

I have to say, Flare Blitz's Herbinoire is probably my favorite right now. It's very subtle but incorporates a lot about the design - grass and ghost typing, carnivorous aspects, and the visual grace.

I also liked Purple Cant's Shintra. It sounds natural and is not a mouthful while still encompassing what many other names do.

I really like Snorlaxe's entry. Fantoleur... Mabye Fantofleur would sound a little nicer? It's more direct, I admit, but it kinda flows off the tongue easier?

Thisyl is by far the best name so far.
A couple common problems I see in many of these entries are:

A) They're too long.
B) They're really awkward to pronounce.
C) They lack originality or relevance in regards to the flavor/design of CAP2

Possible Names:

1.) Perseve/Perseeve; Persephone + Eve. Also a pun on perceive that can reference the maiden's awareness of the spirit world.

2.) Lileter; Demeter + Lilith. Doubles as a lily reference.

3.) Demele or Demyl; Demeter + Cybele. Also works for demonic. The second form can also reference a sibyl like mentioned earlier.

4.) Rheeve; Rhea+Eve. And brings connotations with "reave".

Commentary/favorites would be excellent!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In Defense of Scrytrap

I really dislike Scrytrap, though, since it sounds so harsh. That sounds like a name you might be able to pin on something as gruesome or angry-appearing as Carnivine, but not for something that demands a hint of elegance like CAP 2. Those are pretty much the only names that people have posted support for thus far, so yeah.
I'm not entirely sure where this is coming from, R_D. The only thing we have indicating that CAP2 needs to be elegant is flavor that Yilx provided. And as you have said yourself, the artist does not control the CAP. Furthermore, I simply don't get what is so unelegant about this name. Yes the name is a spondee (2 stressed syllables) and yes there are a lot of consonants. But how is that any different from Bellsprout? Plus, it is a really good portmanteau, something we often look for here at CAP. Even if you insist it sounds harsh, it still relates better to the art, rolls off the tongue better, and is more unique among existing Pokemon than most entries.

Also, I don't agree about the Carnivine thing. Carnivine certainly doesn't look like it is capable of scrying and it doesn't even look smart enough to know how to trap things. These are both actions that require mental sophistication, which CAP2 seems like it would have.

Finally, as you commented, Scrytrap has received some positive discussion. I hope if it continues to receive positive discussin=on that it can be on the slate for the poll, despite your personal preferences.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now for some commentary. Too many for me to comment on them all.

@Temperantia - Perseve is the best by far imo. But I think you may want to consider Perseeve instead. It makes pronunciation clearer as well as adding the obvious word See in the middle.

@Quanyails - Mystress is a good name no doubt. But I can't get past that it is a ghost based with a similiar name to Misdreavous and Mismagius.

@Rising_Dusk - My only issue is that Shaymin is already a Pokemon. I know it would be pronounced differently, but I generally prefer using entirely new and organic parts, and not relying on anything already in Pokemon. Also, just wondering... when did CAP2 become a shaman?

@Stellar - I actually thought about something very similar to this, but I never quite hit on the right word to blend with Sybil. I think this is an ok name, but I do wish that Sybil would actually be integrated into the name more than the changed vowels.

@FlareBlitz - Herbinoire.... I'm sorry, but a Venus Flytrap is not an herb, nor is it an herbivore. It's just a plant we don't eat and it's carnivorous. That's a general note to anyone who slapped a random plant/tree related word onto their name submission... that doesn't make it a good name. I do appreciate the 'e' at the end of 'noire.' Somehow makes it more feminine than the 'noir' that ends Dusknoir.

Carnaiden (car - nay - den)

A corruption-mix of carnivore and maiden, symbolizing flytrap's carnvorus nature, and maiden, which since CAP is female only.

Thystyl and Mystress are quite good. I dislike Herbinoire because... well flytraps are carnivorus.

Okay...I'll give some feedback. It's just hard to keep track of so many names lol.

Temperantia: the Demele or Demyl sounds the best. The pronounciation makes or breaks an entry IMO.

Snorlaxe: It sounds good. But I'm not completely sold on the fantom part, though I can't say I that there's a better choice. Fantome seems to be the weak link...

Rediamond: I'm glad someone thought to use nocturnal as a root, but nectar I'm not so sure about. Then again, I'm the one using yew in my suggestion, so I ain't gonna talk.

SubwayJ: Cru-ella De-vil, Cru-ella De-vil, if she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will~ (your name isn't as awesome as cruella. IMHO it lacks meaning...)

Quanyails: hmm....you're focusing too much on the tertiary characteristics of the poke. Maybe a bit more emphasis on the plant, or ghost, or miko part? You don't have to, but remember that anyone who looks at the name should get a bit of a visual image at what it's supposed to look like. (my opinion, so don't flame me. I ain't a mod.)

Yeaahhh....I'm too lazy to say anymore. These comments shall apply to everybody.

And oh yes, everyone please give feedback for my submission on page 2. Clairvoyelle? clairvoyaphne? Clairvoyasia? Clairvoyew?

bleh, best i can think (wish names were more of my strong suit) of right now is Yaniko (ya-NI-ko), but given it's part yandere (heh) and part Miko... probably not the best.

I suppose a more catchy name would be Scrysen (Scry + shisen, the donation box at shrines) albiet it wouldn't make much sense.

But i think my Final Submission would have to be Mikodama (Miko + Kodama, which is a spirit that lives in trees, something that would seem very Grass/Ghost type.)

I do like Scrytrap and Shintra though.

In this brutal barrage of name submissions, I think that Rising_Dusk's Shamantra has been unfairly neglected. It's one of the best submissions in the thread, every bit as good as the currently trending names, if not better. My only minor issues with it are the lack of a reference to the plant aspect and the fact that people are going to mispronounce it easily.

Some possibilities:

Willowitch
My favored name. Although it uses all ten allotted letters, it rolls off the tongue. Willow is a nod to this Pokemon's grass typing, and witch is from its ghostly and creepy nature. Willowitch also comes from Will-O-Wisp, which according to Wikipedia is "ghostly light seen by travellers at night, especially over bogs, swamps or marshes. It resembles a flickering lamp and is said to recede if approached, drawing travellers from the safe paths." It is ghostly; has to do with swampy, vegetation-laden areas; and is tricky/lures prey, a trait of plants such as the venus fly trap.

My one concern is that Will-O-Wisp is a fire move--does it conjure up the wrong image?

Dampsel
This Pokemon looks rather damp, wilted, and rotted. In addition, it appears to be female, so Damp + Damsel = Dampsel.

Victorial
A portmanteau of Victoria, a common female name, and pictorial, a nod to Sketch.

Phantomis
(Phantuh-miss) Phantom and miss put together.

Phantoma
A simple one. Phantom with an "A" at the end. (Could be either "Phantom-uhh" or "Phan-toma," I suppose.)

I've also been trying to come up with some kind of my milady/malady pun, if someone wants to run with that idea.

------

@Riekku: All your names are too long. Try shortening them!

Hmm would Clairelle, clairew, clairaphne, or clairasia be better?

I mean, my original submission(s) on page 2 were long in terms of spelling, but not that long to pronounce...

But I do take engineering, so am used to saying long words...

I'm also considering submissions with derivatives of Euthanasia...

Such as Youthinasia. But that's also a bit long. Plant names are long in general, ain't they?

I also have names that make no sense such as:

Ghoulsary (ghoul + rosary)

and

Slumbra (slumber + umbra)

alot of things sound good in my head but nobody likes them...lol

Clairelle and Clairew are the most appealing, in my opinion. Youthinasia is too long--names can only be ten letters maximum--and it's a little cheesy to me.

@Rising_Dusk: I would support Shamantra. I think it's a pleasing combination of two shrine-relevant terms.

Twistlet

(Pronounced Twisl-It)

A slang term for a venus flytrap is a "tippity twitchet", "-stle-" part of the name comes from "thistle". I'm still thinking of a way to incorporate a ghost or spirit medium in it somehow.

Azuvene

(Aw-Zoo-Vein)

The "azusayumi" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) is a traditional Miko tool, and the "ven" part comes from "Venus". The "e" there is to make the name a bit more feminine.

Which one do y'all think is better?

In Defense of Common Sense

I'm not entirely sure where this is coming from, R_D. The only thing we have indicating that CAP2 needs to be elegant is flavor that Yilx provided. And as you have said yourself, the artist does not control the CAP. Furthermore, I simply don't get what is so unelegant about this name. Yes the name is a spondee (2 stressed syllables) and yes there are a lot of consonants. But how is that any different from Bellsprout? Plus, it is a really good portmanteau, something we often look for here at CAP. Even if you insist it sounds harsh, it still relates better to the art, rolls off the tongue better, and is more unique among existing Pokemon than most entries.

Also, I don't agree about the Carnivine thing. Carnivine certainly doesn't look like it is capable of scrying and it doesn't even look smart enough to know how to trap things. These are both actions that require mental sophistication, which CAP2 seems like it would have.

Finally, as you commented, Scrytrap has received some positive discussion. I hope if it continues to receive positive discussin=on that it can be on the slate for the poll, despite your personal preferences.
There's nothing wrong with liking the name but good god your arguments are awful.

First you do not actually address the complaint about elegance. You say that it does not have to be elegant but do not state why it would be a good idea for it to be otherwise considering the flowing nature of the design itself. The artist's opinion itself was a complete non-factor in the discussion till you brought it up.

Second the name itself does in fact have harsh sounds to it. The hard c is Scry is very rough and it has no flow from the ry into trap. It makes the name very punchy. The comparison to Bellsprout is a no-go since it doesn't feature either of these features with the words smoothly transitioning into each other (bells-sprout). So no, Scrytrap does not roll off the tongue.

Finally your complaints to the comparison to Carnivine don't make sense. The original comparison made no mention of the meaning of the words, only its feel. The complaint was to point out that the harsher tone is more suited to a rough and 'ugly' creature and not that Carnivine has mental powers. Don't be silly.

With your closing statement your whole rant sounds like a beatdown on the TL for having opinions and I do not like to see people jumping down his throat for stating them. He's a TL, if a name gets good support he'll slate it regardless of his opinions so you don't need to get so overly defensive about it.

Note: this isn't a point against the name Scrytrap, only against srk's arguments themselves.

Clairelle and Clairew are the most appealing, in my opinion. Youthinasia is too long--names can only be ten letters maximum--and it's a little cheesy to me.

@Rising_Dusk: I would support Shamantra. I think it's a pleasing combination of two shrine-relevant terms.
I hear ya. That youtninasia thing was kind of a joke anyways. But that 10-letter limit is really grinding my gears.

I'm thinking that if I'm gonna use Clairelle, I might make it Clairvelle instead.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming guys...I've already gotten great suggestions, but I like being spoiled.

(consult page 2 for the work in progress for my submission! ^_^)

rotvine is simple yet elegant yes, but as for a pokemon name, im not feeling it. if this were final fantasy and we were talking about a malboro them yeah its a perfect name. as for etheroot, its also good but i feel if this were a mandragora pokemon rather than a venus flytrap pokemon it would work.

How about Rotvine? Simple yet elegant.

Another one: Etheroot
(From "ethereal" and "root")
To be honest, Rotvine is anything but elegant, and it seems a little uncreative.

Etheroot is much better. It's a nice combination of words, and it sounds much, much better than Rotvine when said aloud.

Bughouse

@Wyverii I'm not trying to beat down R_D at all. I think he is a very, very good TL. I very much appreciate all the work he puts into making CAP run smoothly.

If my arguments stink, I apologize for that, but I felt I needed to at least say something. I've never had a TL comment that he "really dislikes" one of my suggestions, especially one that is actually generating, on the whole, positive feedback. And being completely honest, I still don't understand exactly where R_D's objections are coming from.

I felt the need to add the last little bit because earlier in this CAP, and on other CAPs, I have had suggestions or supported suggestions that have received a lot of popular support and were not been slated because of TL preference. Oftentimes, the TL proves to be right, due to having a much better understanding of CAP. But for something as non-competitive as the name, I was surprised to get such a negative response from R_D.

All that being said, please understand, R_D and Wyverii, that absolutely nothing here is personal. I have great respect for everything you have done for CAP in this and every project you have worked on.

A couple common problems I see in many of these entries are:

A) They're too long.
B) They're really awkward to pronounce.
C) They lack originality or relevance in regards to the flavor/design of CAP2
I actually agree with much of this, especially B). That's why I find myself recoiling at most of the names that have more than three syllables. And how the fuck do you pronounce "-aea" anyway? Ay-a? Ee-a? Eye-a? Eye-ee-a?

Someone said Willowitch which I thought was quite a clever pun and could make a good name, although I do wonder if the lack of relevance to the flytrap element of CAP2 will hinder it. Then again, trying to cram too much flavour into 10 characters isn't really a good idea either.

That's why I'm going to go through a process of developing a name based solely on the design. What do I see? I see ... flower lady with what looks like sharp teeth in the dress. So I'm thinking something that ends in "dent". It seems that an easy shortcut to incorporating female-ness into the name is to stick "a" or "e" on the end, so perhaps the name should end in "denta". And now, although I wailed against names with more than three syllables earlier, I cannot see how a single syllable in front of "denta" can create an elegant flow, since the emphasis in "denta" is on the "dent", and removing that emphasis in the whole name just sounds peculiar without good reason, while sustaining the first syllable to allow emphasis on the "dent" is very unelegant imo.

So, two syllables + denta. And I still haven't covered the flower aspect yet. Luckily, I know a combination of letters that makes a word associated with plants (if not flowers), has two syllables and, with denta, fits in the 10-character limit: Flora. So ... Floradenta. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)