CAP 25 - Part 9 - CAP 25f Full Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, hawk1113! Thank you for your thoughts on the movepool! :)
My only area of concern is Ancient Power. We barred all physical rock coverage for a reason; rock gives us an easy way to overpower Gyarados and Pelipper without having to surrender our HP slot. We bandied about a special-attacking set in the thread and it didn’t suck as a lure, so Ancient Power is fairly dangerous.
I decided to go with Ancient Power to play with it's volcanic, dinosaur-like design, since only physical Rock-type coverage was disallowed. Most volcanoes are now extinct, just like the dinosaurs, although both reigned during the ancient times. I gave it Ancient Power mainly to play with that thought. It is also a fairly common move amongst other ancient-looking, reptile pokemon such as Kecleon (which is also a chameleon pokemon), Tyranitar and Feraligatr.
About it's viability, although it might seem like a threat to Pelipper and Gyarados, we have to keep in mind that Smokomodo's Special Attack stat is fairly low, and that the only special set approved was a lure set. Ancient Power can lure these pokemon, yes, and deal nice damage - they will still be able to check us with ease -, but it also costs a moveslot. Smoky is looking to be a pokemon with a lot of nice options such as Morning Sun, Stealth Rock, Defog, it's Poison- and Fighting-type coverage, and, of course, it's amazing dual STAB, so I find it very difficult to fit Ancient Power in a set.
Specially because only a special set would make good use of it and it would have to be designed to specifically target Pelipper and Gyarados, that already take a very good chunk from our Gunk Shot! I will leave the calculations below.

Versus Pelipper (Ancient Power vs Gunk Shot comparison)
0 SpA Life Orb Technician Numel Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 228 SpD Pelipper: 153-182 (47.3 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Technician Numel Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 228 SpD Pelipper: 200-237 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Numel Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 139-164 (43 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Versus Gyarados (Ancient Power vs Gunk Shot comparison)
0 SpA Life Orb Technician Numel Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 151-179 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Technician Numel Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 195-231 (58.9 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Numel Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 191-225 (57.7 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Given those calculations, I do not think Ancient Power inteferes with our threatlist at all! Even as a possible Z-lure, Gunk Shot or Solar Beam - both which are required moves - would do a similar, if not better, job at getting rid of Gyarados and Pelipper, while also providing better coverage.

252 SpA Numel Continental Crush (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 200-236 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Numel Continental Crush (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 228 SpD Pelipper: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Numel Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 232-274 (70 - 82.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Numel Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 169-199 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Once more, thank you so much for your thoughts on the movepool! I'm glad to see that you liked it! :)

WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Eruption
1 Poison Fang
1 Fire Fang
1 Crunch
1 Thunder Fang
1 Scratch
1 Growl
1 Ember
1 Smokescreen
Evo Lava Plume
4 Growl
6 Ember
11 Smokescreen

14 Fire Spin
18 Magnitude
22 Flame Wheel
28 Poison Fang
31 Fire Fang
38 Crunch

45 Mud Bomb
51 Flamethrower
57 Belch
62 Earthquake
68 Gunk Shot

74 Eruption
80 Fissure

Smokomodo's Level Up sequence was based off of a combination of Delphox and Incineroar's patterns, with Delphox's levels and STAB and non-STAB patterns and Incineroar's more attacking moveset. I wanted Smokomodo to resemble a komodo dragon early in its movepool, with basic Fire-type moves and several bite attacks, most notably Poison Fang, as the komodo dragon has one of the most venomous bites in the entire animal kingdom. But as Smokomodo's levels increase, he begins to take an earth-shaking moveset starting with a volcano's typical mudslide as the eruption begins. Flames roar inside of the stomach of the volcano, and toxic gasses belch out of its mouth. The eruption sets off an earthquake, spewing more toxic gunk into the atmosphere, until the final eruption happens, splitting the ground with the force of its tremors. All-in-all, I see Smokomodo as less of an intelligent and crafty fighter than a monster wielding the raw power and rage of the primordial earth itself. Sure, it has staple moves to stealthily and efficiently hunt prey with, such as its powerful and incredibly venomous bite, but Smokomodo is going to be winning big fights in the wild through sheer overwhelming rage and power alone. A volcano doesn't wait for the perfect moment to strike. It explodes and destroys everything in its path whenever it damn well pleases.

CAP25F-1 Bulldoze
CAP25F-1 Mud Slap
CAP25F-2 Mud Shot
CAP25F-1 Smog
CAP25F-2 Clear Smog

Bulldoze is CAP25F-1's weaker version of CAP25F-2's Magnitude. Mud Slap is the lower step to Mud Shot, which itself is the lower step to Mud Bomb. Similarly, Smog is the lower step to Clear Smog, and both would replace Belch, as the weaker volcanoes of CAP25F-1 and 2 release less toxins less violently.

Acid (Arbok)
Acid Spray (Arbok)
Bullet Punch (Pangoro)
Circle Throw (Pangoro)
Flare Blitz (Charizard)
Force Palm (Lucario)
Incinerate (Darmanitan)
Mach Punch (Infernape)
Morning Sun (Espeon)
Sand Tomb (Krookodile)
Storm Throw (Pangoro(through chain-breeding from Throh))

Burn Up (Typhlosion)
Bone Rush (Lucario)
Venom Drench (Seviper)
Glare (Seviper)
Camouflage (Kecleon)
Dig (Krookodile)
Earth Power (Camerupt)
Rototiller (Dugtrio)
Stomping Tantrum (Marowak)
Flame Burst (Charizard)
Heat Wave (Charizard)
Inferno (Charizard)
Dive (Feraligatr)
Surf (Feraligatr)

Field is the typical egg group of Fire starters, while Monster is chosen to attach Smokomodo to Charizard and other lizard Pokemon, and because I see Smokomodo as more of a monster than a dragon, despite its komodo dragon namesake. I also don't the idea of Dragon Egg Group Pokemon not having a single Dragon type move. Anyways, Smokomodo has inherited a lot of Poison type moves from its lizard brethren to reflect its komodo dragon heritage, alongside Camouflage because komodo dragons have camouflage skills to hunt their prey, and Surf and Dive because, yes, komodo dragons can swim.

CAP 25 Celebration

Smokomodo @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
Ability: Technician
Nature: Random
OT: Doug
ID: 478414
Met: 2018 Celebration CAP (fateful encounter)
Ribbon: Souvenir Ribbon
- Celebrate
- Eruption
- Clear Smog
- Earthquake

International Volcano Awareness Day (The Anniversary of Pompeii's Destruction)

Smokomodo @ Relic Crown
Level 79
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Rash
OT: Vesuvius
ID: 082479
Met: Pompeii (fateful encounter)
Ribbon: Special Ribbon
- Eruption
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Belch

The two events I have for Smokomodo are the typical CAP25 Celebration event, holding a Silver Bottle Cap in appreciation of CAP's silver anniversary, and a volcanic eruption event oriented around the anniversary of Pompeii's destruction at the hands of Vesuvius, a day known in modernity as Volcano Awareness Day.

Defog
Low Kick
Uproar
Iron Tail
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Endeavor
Focus Punch
Laser Focus

Blast Burn
Fire Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam

TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract

TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM53 Energy Ball
TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM75 Swords Dance
TM78 Bulldoze
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Poison coverage continues in the TMs, as well as some other flavorful grass and and normal coverage, but also several things illustrating Smokomodo's hunting nature with some violent fighting coverage and moves like Torment and Roar. I also included Explosion cuz volcanoes explode and that's cool. :>

98 total moves

cbrevan calling for a check on Thunder Punch and Thunder Fang, as well as Surf and Dive.

Last edited:
Wadusher: This is a very basic barebones setup for 25f - we’ve got all required moves plus three of the five “flavor moves” that I can see being common to Smokomodo (in your case, Eruption, Lava Plume, and Fissure which is unique so far). A month ago I might have worried about so much strong Steel coverage but since we now carry Gunk Shot and Bullet Punch is mandatory, I don’t think it’s a huge concern - I can’t think of too many ‘mons that get smoked by Iron Tail that we aren’t already going to crush with Gunk Shot (Clefable, Jumbao) or Bullet Punch spam (Stratagem, M-Aerodactyl). There’s nothing that stands out to this set, but it is very functional. I look forward to some write-up explaining WHY you didn’t want to add anything particularly defining to the set. The only thing that stands out now is that you focused more on a cataclysmic monster (with Fissure and Mangnitude) than on the draconic, chameleon, or “fighty” nature that other submissions went with.
Thanks for the feedback. The reason I went with a functional type of movepool is I wasn't sure at first what direction the movepool should go, apart from the obvious volcanic side of things. Outside of that, I was at a loss as to what could make it more defining, That said, I do have room for Camouflage, and I can probably swap some moves out for stuff like Comet Punch and Rolling Kick to get a unique take on the fighting side of things. Fire Fang would likely need to go as a result of those. However, I don't see any dragon flavour in this mon, which is why I omitted Dragon Breath.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
Final Submission

Bolded Moves are Mandatory
Moves with strike-through are repeats and are not counted in the totals
  • HS - Flame Wheel
  • HS - Earth Power
  • HS - Dragon Breath
  • HS - Incinerate
  • 1 - Scratch
  • 1 - Ember
  • 1 - Leer
  • 1 - Smokescreen
  • Evo - Flame Wheel
  • 4 - Leer
  • 8 - Smokescreen
  • 10 - Lick
  • 16 - Poison Tail
  • 19 - Fire Fang
  • 22 - Dragon Rage
  • 26 - Bulldoze
  • 33 - Poison Fang
  • 38 - Circle Throw
  • 45 - Super Fang
  • 49 - Earthquake
  • 58 - Flare Blitz
  • 65 - Eruption
  • 71 - Storm Throw
Total: 20
Most of the level up moves I chose for Smokomodo draw inspiration from lizards, with chameleons and Komodo dragons being the main lizards I drew from being the basis of the design and the inspiration of the name respectively. Scratch, Leer, Fire Fang, and Super Fang are attacks that I felt fit on a fire lizard.

A couple notable features of chameleons are their long tongues that they use to grab things and their curled tail. These attributes were reflected by the inclusion of Lick and Poison Tail.

The komodo dragon inspiration played a bigger role in the movepool. Dragon Breath and Dragon Rage are drawn purely from the name "komodo dragon", Poison Fang is a reference to the poisonous bite that komodo dragons posses, and I also felt that Circle Throw and Storm Throw would fit in the level up moves as komodo dragons are known to grapple with each other in the wild when competing for mates.

Earth Power, Eruption, and Smokescreen were included as I felt they fit well with the volcano aspect of the design.

For the evo move, I wanted it to be both a move I felt fit the Pokemon and one that could be used competitively. And in this case I chose an attack that also tied in with the hidden ability.
  • TM 01 - Work Up
  • TM 05 - Roar
  • TM 06 - Toxic
  • TM 10 - Hidden Power
  • TM 11 - Sunny Day
  • TM 12 - Taunt
  • TM 15 - Hyper Beam
  • TM 17 - Protect
  • TM 21 - Frustration
  • TM 22 - Solar Beam
  • TM 26 - Earthquake
  • TM 27 - Return
  • TM 31 - Brick Break
  • TM 32 - Double Team
  • TM 35 - Flamethrower
  • TM 37 - Sandstorm
  • TM 38 - Fire Blast
  • TM 42 - Facade
  • TM 44 - Rest
  • TM 45 - Attract
  • TM 48 - Round
  • TM 50 - Overheat
  • TM 52 - Focus Blast
  • TM 56 - Fling
  • TM 61 - Will-o-Wisp
  • TM 68 - Giga Impact
  • TM 78 - Bulldoze
  • TM 87 - Swagger
  • TM 88 - Sleep Talk
  • TM 90 - Substitute
  • TM 100 - Confide
Total: 30
Field / Dragon
  • Acid Spray (Arbok)
  • Bullet Punch (Pangoro)
  • Fire Spin (Charizard)
  • Force Palm (Mienshao)
  • Mach Punch (Infernape)
  • Morning Sun (Espeon)
  • Sand Tomb (Garchomp)
Total: 7
  • Snore
  • Blast Burn
  • Fire Pledge
  • Defog
  • Gunk Shot
  • Stealth Rock
  • Heat Wave
  • Fire Punch
  • Focus Punch
  • Low Kick
Total: 10
Smokomodo @ Rare Candy
Level 50
Ability: Random
OT: Cooper
ID: 003089
- Celebrate
- Silver Wind
- Scary Face
- Trick-or-Treat

Total: 4
Celebrate and Silver Wind are a reference to this being a celebration of CAP for its "silver anniversary". Cooper is the name of the user who started the CAP project and 003089 is their user number(thanks Dogfish). Much like my Christmas themed event for Caribolt and Earth Day event for Snaelstrom, I decided to make a Halloween themed event for Smokomodo. I'm not sure why I felt like Halloween fit the best for Smokomodo. Maybe it's Fire's association with Jack-o-Lanterns or that it has the most sinister looking design of the starters or maybe it's because it has been the boogeyman of CAP 25.
Total: 71

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dragon Breath is basically Hidden Power Ice with much worse coverage. Even with the para-chance its not swaying any matchups that we don't have ways to deal with using better coverage (Gunk Shot, Hidden Power Ice)

Dragon Breath is basically Hidden Power Ice with much worse coverage. Even with the para-chance its not swaying any matchups that we don't have ways to deal with using better coverage (Gunk Shot, Hidden Power Ice)
Devastating drake is a potential issue with dragon breath, however i do agree

Thanks for the feedback, hawk1113 !

I'm a still little concerned over smoky having access to all of its strongest STABs and celebrate all at once. All +1s mangles our offensive checks if they're slower than 483 Spe, and a specially biased mixed set with bone rush over earth power puts loads of pressure on any check to stay at max health. It kinda reminds me of RP Groudon, where it's checkable because it can't have both its strongest fire and strongest ground STAB on the same set; I.e. Arceus-water isn't 2hkoed by any of Specially biased groudon's moves, but it falls to +2 invested P-Blades. Meanwhile...
+1 252 SpA Technician Entei Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios-Mega: 192-228 (63.7 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Latis sacrifice themselves saving the team from Eruption, and they can't switch in. The defense boosts even save Smokomodo from being 1hkoed...

It only takes 15% + stealth rock to make eruption weaker than fire blast, so all you need to discourage its use is a fire resist or priority, but there's a good chance whatever you use to do that if it does show up Is fainting.
A celebrate set isn't coming out and getting chipped until it's ready to sweep. The other mons don't use eruption because they either don't have the speed, coverage, or aren't sweepers, so they're coming in multiple times and risking chip.

But again, Both eruption and celebrate are big gambles. The only way to test how often you're staying at full health, or how weak teams are to just +1 Ice/ground is the test server. On that note, how do I get to it? Is it just a separate URL, or...?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, hawk1113 !

I'm a still little concerned over smoky having access to all of its strongest STABs and celebrate all at once. All +1s mangles our offensive checks if they're slower than 483 Spe, and a specially biased mixed set with bone rush over earth power puts loads of pressure on any check to stay at max health. It kinda reminds me of RP Groudon, where it's checkable because it can't have both its strongest fire and strongest ground STAB on the same set; I.e. Arceus-water isn't 2hkoed by any of Specially biased groudon's moves, but it falls to +2 invested P-Blades. Meanwhile...
+1 252 SpA Technician Entei Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios-Mega: 192-228 (63.7 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Latis sacrifice themselves saving the team from Eruption, and they can't switch in. The defense boosts even save Smokomodo from being 1hkoed...

It only takes 15% + stealth rock to make eruption weaker than fire blast, so all you need to discourage its use is a fire resist or priority, but there's a good chance whatever you use to do that if it does show up Is fainting.
A celebrate set isn't coming out and getting chipped until it's ready to sweep. The other mons don't use eruption because they either don't have the speed, coverage, or aren't sweepers, so they're coming in multiple times and risking chip.

But again, Both eruption and celebrate are big gambles. The only way to test how often you're staying at full health, or how weak teams are to just +1 Ice/ground is the test server. On that note, how do I get to it? Is it just a separate URL, or...?
Tomo exist dude, it's been discuss and approve in the moveset discussion. The time for competitive talk is already done for the most part so it's all flavor here.

Final Submission

L1: Flare Blitz, Stomping Tantrum, Will-O-Wisp, Morning Sun, Incinerate, Smog
L4: Scratch
L6: Ember
L9: Growl
L11: Acid Spray
L14: Mud Shot
L16: Flame Wheel
L20: Bulldoze
L23: Fire Spin
L26: Poison Gas
L29: Force Palm
L33: Bullet Punch, Mach Punch
L38: Earthquake
L44: Crush Claw
L47: Stealth Rock
L50: Lava Plume
L54: Close Combat
L59: Roar
L65: Eruption

TM01: Work Up
TM05: Roar
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power

TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM21: Frustration
TM22: Solar Beam
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return

TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM35: Flamethrower
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM38: Fire Blast
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract

TM47: Low Sweep
TM48: Round
TM50: Overheat
TM61: Will-O-Wisp

TM62: Acrobatics
TM68: Giga Impact
TM78: Bulldoze

TM84: Poison Jab
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM100: Confide

Belch
Circle Throw
Crunch
Fire Fang
Haze
Poison Fang
Power-Up Punch
Sand Tomb
Storm Throw

Blast Burn
Defog

Dragon Pulse
Fire Pledge
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Gunk Shot
Heat Wave
Iron Tail
Low Kick
Snore
Stealth Rock

Stomping Tantrum
Superpower

Happy Hour

Total Moves (Including Repeats): 84

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
WIP

Learnset
L1: Flare Blitz, Stomping Tantrum, Will-O-Wisp, Morning Sun, Incinerate, Scratch, Ember, Growl, Smog
Evo.: Flare Blitz (Learned upon evolving)
L4: Scratch
L6: Ember
L9: Growl
L11: Acid Spray
L14: Flame Wheel
L16: Mud Shot
L20: Bulldoze
L23: Fire Spin
L26: Swords Dance
L29: Force Palm
L33: Bullet Punch, Mach Punch
L38: Earthquake
L44: Crush Claw
L47: Stealth Rock
L50: Lava Plume
L54: Close Combat
L59: Roar
L65: Eruption

TMs
TM01: Work Up

TM02: Dragon Claw
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power

TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM21: Frustration
TM22: Solar Beam
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return

TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM35: Flamethrower
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM38: Fire Blast
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract

TM47: Low Sweep
TM48: Round
TM50: Overheat
TM61: Will-O-Wisp

TM62: Acrobatics
TM68: Giga Impact
TM75: Swords Dance
TM78: Bulldoze
TM82: Dragon Tail
TM84: Poison Jab
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM100: Confide

Egg Moves (Field)
Belch
Circle Throw
Fire Fang
Haze
Mist
Poison Fang
Power-Up Punch
Sand Tomb
Storm Throw

Thunder Fang

Tutor Moves
Blast Burn
Defog

Dragon Pulse
Fire Pledge
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Gunk Shot
Heat Wave
Iron Tail
Low Kick
Snore
Stealth Rock

Stomping Tantrum
Super Fang
Superpower
Thunder Punch

Someone please tell me how to put text in those purple boxes
Screenshot from 2018-10-23 15:32:44.png

Tomo exist dude, it's been discuss and approve in the moveset discussion. The time for competitive talk is already done for the most part so it's all flavor here.
It is a responsibility of ours that we make sure our flavor doesn't interfere major with the project's intended use.

While this is a flavor stage, there is a minor competitive aspect to it in that the banned moves list is not all encompassing. I'm sure some people have noticed that moves such as Quiver Dance are not banned- this is intentional. It's not possible for the TLT to ban every single competitive move, which is why we'll handle moves as they are submitted. The general rule for this stage is that posters should exercise common sense when building movepools and avoid moves that are competitively viable in nature. I'll define competitively viable moves as moves that are able to interact with our threatlist with noticeable results, so if you're unsure about a move, take a look at the threatlist and ask yourself what matchups it may swing. If you're unsure, tag me in the thread and I'll give a ruling. If you think a move banned this way should be allowed, I'm also willing to hear appeals posted in the thread.
I wasn't arguing against inclusion, just compatibility given feedback.
That being said, I completely blanked on tomo. I'll shut up now.

WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Poison Fang
1 Fire Fang
1 Crunch
1 Thunder Fang
1 Scratch
1 Growl
1 Ember
1 Smokescreen
Evo Lava Plume
4 Growl
6 Ember
11 Smokescreen

14 Fire Spin
18 Magnitude
22 Flame Wheel
28 Poison Fang
31 Fire Fang
38 Crunch

45 Mud Bomb
51 Belch
57 Earthquake
62 Gunk Shot

68 Eruption
74 Fissure

Smokomodo's Level Up sequence was based off of a combination of Delphox and Incineroar's patterns, with Delphox's levels and STAB and non-STAB patterns and Incineroar's more attacking moveset. I wanted Smokomodo to resemble a komodo dragon early in its movepool, with basic Fire-type moves and several bite attacks, most notably Poison Fang, as the komodo dragon has one of the most venomous bites in the entire animal kingdom. But as Smokomodo's levels increase, he begins to take an earth-shaking moveset starting with a volcano's typical mudslide as the eruption begins. Flames roar inside of the stomach of the volcano, and toxic gasses belch out of its mouth. The eruption sets off an earthquake, spewing more toxic gunk into the atmosphere, until the final eruption happens, splitting the ground with the force of its tremors. All-in-all, I see Smokomodo as less of an intelligent and crafty fighter than a monster wielding the raw power and rage of the primordial earth itself. Sure, it has staple moves to stealthily and efficiently hunt prey with, such as its powerful and incredibly venomous bite, but Smokomodo is going to be winning big fights in the wild through sheer overwhelming rage and power alone. Smokomodo is so powerful, even his weaker attacks pack more of a punch than another Pokemon would. A volcano doesn't wait for the perfect moment to strike. It explodes and destroys everything in its path whenever it damn well pleases, and every little effect it has will be devastating.

CAP25F-1 Bulldoze
CAP25F-1 Mud Slap
CAP25F-2 Mud Shot
CAP25F-1 Poison Gas
CAP25F-2 Clear Smog
CAP25F-1, CAP25F-2 Flamethrower

Bulldoze is CAP25F-1's weaker version of CAP25F-2's Magnitude. Mud Slap is the lower step to Mud Shot, which itself is the lower step to Mud Bomb. Similarly, Poison Gas is the lower step to Clear Smog, and both would replace Belch, as the weaker volcanoes of CAP25F-1 and 2 release less toxins less violently.

Acid (Arbok)
Acid Spray (Arbok)
Bullet Punch (Pangoro)
Circle Throw (Pangoro)
Flare Blitz (Charizard)
Force Palm (Lucario)
Incinerate (Darmanitan)
Mach Punch (Infernape)
Morning Sun (Espeon)
Sand Tomb (Krookodile)

Burn Up (Typhlosion)
Bone Rush (Lucario)
Venom Drench (Seviper)
Glare (Seviper)
Camouflage (Kecleon)
Dig (Krookodile)
Earth Power (Camerupt)
Heat Wave (Charizard)
Inferno (Charizard)
Dive (Feraligatr)
Surf (Feraligatr)

Field is the typical egg group of Fire starters, while Monster is chosen to attach Smokomodo to Charizard and other lizard Pokemon, and because I see Smokomodo as more of a monster than a dragon, despite its komodo dragon namesake. I also don't the idea of Dragon Egg Group Pokemon not having a single Dragon type move. Anyways, Smokomodo has inherited a lot of Poison type moves from its lizard brethren to reflect its komodo dragon heritage, alongside Camouflage because komodo dragons have camouflage skills to hunt their prey, and Surf and Dive because, yes, komodo dragons can swim. And it's terrifying

CAP 25 Celebration

Smokomodo @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Eruption
- Belch
- Fissure

Smokomodo @ Relic Crown
Level 79
- Eruption
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Belch

The two events I have for Smokomodo are the typical CAP25 Celebration event, holding a Silver Bottle Cap in appreciation of CAP's silver anniversary, and a volcanic eruption event oriented around the anniversary of Pompeii's destruction at the hands of Vesuvius, a day known in modernity as Volcano Awareness Day.

Defog
Low Kick
Iron Tail
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Focus Punch

Blast Burn
Fire Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam

TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat

TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM75 Swords Dance
TM78 Bulldoze
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Poison coverage continues in the TMs, as well as some other flavorful grass and and normal coverage, but also several things illustrating Smokomodo's hunting nature with some violent fighting-type coverage and moves like Torment and Roar. I also included Explosion cuz volcanoes explode and that's cool. :>

89 total moves

Sitting at 89 moves now, but still calling for a check on Thunder Punch and Thunder Fang, as well as Surf and Dive. The removal of these would result in 85 moves, but I want to see what happens for now.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Its not explicitly stated, but Electric coverage has been disallowed from the get go fue to man handling Water and Flying types

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Requesting a legality check on Zen Headbutt, please.

Bolded is required,
Italicized are repeats.

HS-Detect
HS-Earth Power
HS-Bullet Punch
HS-Storm Throw
1-Tackle
1-Growl
1-Ember
1-Smokescreen
Evo- Earth Power
5-Ember
9-Smokescreen
12-Smog
16-Mach Punch
20-Flame Wheel
25-Bulldoze
29-Force Palm
34-Clear Smog
38-Flare Blitz
43-Circle Throw
47-Earthquake
51-Morning Sun
56-Focus Punch
60-Eruption

The main theme in this set is that Smokomodo isn't just a lumbering angry lizard, as its Hidden Ability aptly shows, it's a strategic sneaky lizard that attacks with a mixture of martial arts; lots of fighting moves and moves like Detect and Focus Punch, which it's a technician at using. alongside this, lots of volcano and smoke stuff like Eruption and Clear Smog, with Earth Power being chosen as its "trademark" move, being heavily tied with Smokomodo's tectonic nature and pretty viable in-game, at least until earthquake.

Incinerate
Fire Spin

Flamethrower
Camouflage

Taking a cue from two Fire-starters which heavily utilize punches and fighting moves, but only by the time they're fully evolved, Blaziken and Infernape, Smokomodo learns a couple moves only before evolving, and becoming the master Technician or what have you. This not only gives liberty to the prevo movepool makers regardless of design, but fits in the required Incinerate and Fire Spin, and also Flamethrower (which is required for Fire starter level-up pools, but can be made only learnt by the base, as shown by Torchic and Chimchar). Camouflage is a move that fits Smokomodo to a small extent due to its base animal, but by the final form isn't very characteristic of it, thus its place in this movepool.

Poison Fang
Sand Tomb

Burn Up
Dragon Breath
Acid Spray

Simply enough, Smokomodo's in the same egg group as the other two lizard starters, Sceptile and Charizard. This doesn't really come as a surprise, since even though Kecleon is in the Field egg group, its definitely got a friendly, almost-mammalian look, while Smoky's gruff rocky dino-like look is undeniably monster-like.
Poison Fang, Sand Tomb and Acid Spray are of course obligatory, but all of them fit very well into Egg moves, being more or less given to a lot of "weird" choices through eggs already, such as Acid Spray Carnivine, Poison Fang Mawile and Sand Tomb Turtwig.
Burn Up is a new move, but from what can be observed through its learnbase, its all high-power Fire pokemon, stuff like Moltres, starters and the "legendary" Arcanine, so it feels fitting as a strategic last ditch move passed down onto our 'Modo.
Dragon Breath is unmistakable Dragon flavor, and its egg move list is already filled with pseudo-dragons like Smoky, so its a perfect fit.

TM01 Work Up
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM52 Focus Blast
TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM78 Bulldoze
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Down in the TMs, focus is still given to the stratagem (heh) nature of Smokomodo with moves such as Taunt, False Swipe, Focus Blast and notably Smart Strike, which uses its horn and as its name applies, puts those smarts to good use. Beyond that, Dragon Claw is your widespread Dragon flavor, and Sludge Bomb is also a widespread Poison move, which link the obligatory Acid Spray and Gunk Shot into the movepool better. If you want to be cheeky, they can also be linked to the real-world, either through the "sludge" used being a liquid smoke gunk made by Smoky's smokestacks, or as a sort of venom, since komodo dragons are argued to be venomous.

Possibly the most controversial pick on this list, is Explosion, and while our 'Modo won't be literally exploding any time soon, Magcargo, Camerupt, Torkoal, Heatran and Turtonator all learn it, and are also lava and volcano creatures, meaning that its an Explosion more in the sense of a volcanic explosion, So its only fitting for Smokomodo to get it!

Snore
Defog
Iron Tail
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Zen Headbutt
Laser Focus
Throat Chop
Earth Power
Gunk Shot
Heat Wave
Dragon Pulse
Fire Pledge
Blast Burn

Wrapping up, Focus Punch, Zen Headbutt and especially Laser Focus are all once again "smart" and focused moves, while Throat Chop is learnt by various horned Pokemon (its English name related to chopping, but in Japanese it's Hell Thrust) and strategically hits a certain part of the foe. Dragon Pulse harkens to Smoky's draconic nature. Defog is mandatory and definitely looks weird on this movepool, but can be justified by the sheer number of weird Pokemon that get it, including Tapu Fini and Volcanion, which both actually produce fog like Smokomodo... so I guess they make fog to remove smog? Pokemon's weird.

Acid Spray
Attract
Blast Burn
Brick Break
Bulldoze
Bullet Punch
Burn Up
Camouflage
Circle Throw
Clear Smog
Confide
Defog
Detect
Double Team
Dragon Breath
Dragon Claw
Dragon Pulse
Earth Power
Earthquake
Ember
Eruption
Explosion
Facade
False Swipe
Fire Blast
Fire Pledge
Fire Punch
Fire Spin
Flame Wheel
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Focus Blast
Focus Punch
Force Palm
Frustration
Giga Impact
Growl
Gunk Shot
Heat Wave
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Incinerate
Iron Tail
Laser Focus
Mach Punch
Morning Sun
Overheat
Poison Fang
Protect
Rest
Return
Roar
Round
Sand Tomb
Sandstorm
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Smart Strike
Smog
Smokescreen
Snore
Solar Beam
Stealth Rock
Storm Throw
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Tackle
Taunt
Throat Chop
Toxic
Will-O-Wisp
Work Up
Zen Headbutt

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yo. This is a late response to a number of questions, so I'll do my best to tag anyone affected by decisions I'll be making. My current plan is to wrap up movepools as quickly as possible, so expect a 48 hour warning in the next couple of days. I want to give people enough time to edit movepools across all the threads if needed, so I plan to give at least a day's time before I drop the 48 hour warning.

The bulk of this post will be about move decisions. I did my best to tag everyone affected by these decisions, but I can't guarantee I got everyone. Make sure you read through this post and check your submissions yourself just to be safe.

I should have posted this sooner, but at least one of Celebrate, Hold Hands, and Happy Hour is mandatory. This was primarily a blunder on my part when I made the list of approved movesets and failed to include the Omniboosting set. wadusher pokehimon Wugus MaahirMomtaz12 Reiga

When it comes to coverage I'm going to be a lot less strict with special coverage than I was with physical coverage. Yes Technician does boost the Base Power of moves, but we have to be realistic when looking at our stat distribution. Special sets will be niche at best and gimmicks at worst because they're just so much weaker than physical sets.

With that said Dragon Breath and Dragon Pulse are allowed. Do they hit the Mega Latis? Yes. Will they break Smokomodo and see usage? No. Hidden Power Ice does the same thing but better and is already predicted to be a standard move for Smokomodo.

Fake Out was also supposed to be on the disallowed list and is therefore banned. Tagging Madsi6

Eruption is allowed. It's arguably worse than Overheat and even Fire Blast when you consider how Smokomodo is weak to all formes of entry hazards which impacts how consistent the move is. It does offer a high powered special Z move but Blast Burn already provides the same level of burst damage. In short, the move is mostly likely bad on Smokomdo and will be treated as a flavor move.

Snatch is allowed. Omniboosting sets are allowed and I don't see a Z Snatch set being more viable than +1 to all stats.

I've decided to adopt Hawk113's suggestion to ban all physical Dark, Dragon, and Ghost coverage of 80 effective BP and greater in order to retain Mega Latis as checks. pokehimon Wugus Madsi6 HeatEdgeSword Granny Pie MaahirMomtaz12 Reiga

Water-type coverage is allowed. Against Fire and Rock-types our Ground STAB out performs any potential coverage moves. Against Ground-type Hidden Power Ice is more effective against everything but Hippowdon and Colossoil, the latter of which can't stomach repeated STAB attacks from Smokomodo. It really only swings the Hippowdown matchup, which is acceptable given how its worse against most other common Grounds.

Bone Rush is an optional move as it wasn't banned or allowed in the moveset thread despite seeing discussion.

Swords Dance is added to the list of banned moves. Only +1 attack boosts were discussed in the moveset thread and Swords Dance is clearly a competitive boosting move that interacts with our threatlist by allowing Smokomodo to nab KOs it couldn't otherwise. Tagging wadusher HeatEdgeSword Granny Pie MaahirMomtaz12

Dragon Dance has been added to the list of banned moves for being completely nutty on Smokomodo. HeatEdgeSword

Mud Shot is allowed. Damage output from the move is pitful considering Smokomodo's low base special attack, so the move would be ran mainly for its effect. The accuracy drop isn't worth running the move on attacking sets and special sets are pressured enough in terms of viability. Its just not a competitively viable move, which means its solidly flavour.

Glare is banned for crippling Mega Latis. This also included other paralysis inducing status moves such as Thunder Wave and Stun Powder. Moves that have a chance to inflict paralysis, such as Body Slam, will remain allowed because of how little they impact matchups on top of the unreliability of the effect activating. Tagging Granny Pie Wugus

Thunder Fang, Thunder Punch and other physical Electric-type moves are now banned for thrashing Gyarados and Pelipper. Tagging Granny Pie

I planned to respond to any errors I caught when doing legality checks as a way of responding to individual submissions, but everyone did such a stellar job posting that it would be easier to thank everyone who posted for doing a great job. I also want to remind people to double, even triple check their submissions for legality- make sure every mandatory move is in, none of the banned moves are included, and that your move count is accurate and under the limit designated in the OP. I didn't have the time to do this sort of legality checking yet, so it'll have to wait until I call the 48 hour warning. Also, make sure you include Final Submission at the top of your post when you're ready to finalize your submission. I can't approve anything without it, so make sure you don't forget!

Swords Dance is added to the list of banned moves. Only +1 attack boosts were discussed in the moveset thread and Swords Dance is clearly a competitive boosting move that interacts with our threatlist by allowing Smokomodo to nab KOs it couldn't otherwise. Tagging HeatEdgeSword
Dragon Dance has been added to the list of banned moves for being completely nutty on Smokomodo. HeatEdgeSword
Got it. Now I'm going to request legality check on Belly Drum.

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Hopefully just t'one last question from me, specifically on Celebrate et. al. Given that these moves are currently Event-exclusive - and I think most submitters are going to keep them as event moves - there is the potential for Egg/Event move illegalities. What's the current stance on that front - do we just need to make sure that the Omnibooster set posted in the thread is legal, or do we need to get the entire list of required moves legal with Celebrate?

Final Submission

Bold - required move
Italics - repeated move

1 Eruption
1 Sand Attack
1 Scratch
1 Leer
1 Smokescreen
1 Ember
Evo Lava Plume
4 Smokescreen
8 Lick
11 Smog
15 Magnitude
18 Swagger
20 Flame Wheel
24 Sand Tomb
29 Lava Plume
33 Slash
39 Camouflage
42 Earthquake
46 Flare Blitz
55 Fissure
60 Burn Up
66 Eruption

My movepool follows a similar level up pattern to the newest Fire-type starters like Delphox and Incineroar, while heavily referencing it's chameleon and volcanic design.
We'll start with a bunch of low base power moves and support options and a powerful option in Eruption, similar to how Incineroar's movepool progresses. Lava Plume is the evolution move of choice, referencing the volcanic aesthetic of the design. As the movepool progresses, it gets access to more weaker options such as Lick, which is common on lizard and tough pokemon such as Kecleon and Gengar, respectively, and Smog.
It gains more powerful options towards the middle of the movepool - with STAB options such as Flame Wheel and Magnitude -, as well as the support move Swagger, which I personally think fits the design quite nicely. As it levels up even further, it gains more powerful moves in Slash (common in designs with claws), Earthquake and Flare Blitz for power STAB options, as well as Camouflage - referencing it's chameleon design. Later, it gets Fissure - which is a nice flavor move - as well as Burn Up, referencing scorched earth and dead volcanoes.

CAP25f-1 - Fire Spin
CAP25f-1, CAP25f-2 - Clear Smog

Fire Spin is a weak, trapping, Fire-type move that was in one of our approved movesets. It is seen as a "by a prior evolution" move in other Fire-type pokemon such as Blaziken. Clear Smog is also in one of the approved sets, and can also reference it's design. Nothing much else to say about it.

CAP 25 Celebration

Smokomodo @ Relic Silver
Level 50
OT: Cooper
ID: 003089
- Celebrate
- Earthquake
- Smog
- Flare Blitz

CAP 25 Women's Day

Smokomodo @ Gold Bottle Cap
Level 50
OT: Penha
ID: 113406
Met: 2018 Women's Day (fateful encounter)
- Celebrate
- Flare Blitz
- Smog
- Earthquake

Given to how this is a celebration CAP and Celebrate was one of the approved sets (it is also only available via events), I gave it in two separate events.
The second event is to celebrate women empowerment and honor the brazilian Maria da Penha law, that protects women from domestic violence. Maria da Penha is an amazing woman who spoke up about the domestic abuse she was suffering and that led to the creation of this extremely important law, which is referenced by the OT (Penha) and ID (11340/60).
Thank you Dogfish44 for kindly allowing me to use your event teamplate!

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM52 Focus Blast
TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM68 Giga Impact
TM78 Bulldoze
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

I added a lot of Fighting- and Poison-type moves for flavor. Fighting- and Poison-type coverage was already allowed and I wanted to reference the tough, komodo dragon references of Smokomodo.
I disallowed any powerful Dark- and Ghost-type coverage like Shadow Claw, Thief and Brutal Swing since, as already discussed, these moves shouldn't be allowed given how they easily break through the Lati@s.

Snore
Defog

Low Kick
Iron Tail
Gravity
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Dragon Pulse
Stomping Tantrum
Earth Power
Gunk Shot

Heat Wave
Superpower

Fire Pledge
Blast Burn

Mach Punch (Infernape)
Incinerate (Darmanitan)
Bullet Punch* (Lucario)
Iron Tail* (Seviper)
Poison Fang (Seviper)
Acid Spray (Arbok)
Ancient Power (Kecleon)
Dragon Breath* (Kommo-o)
Morning Sun* (Arcanine)
Circle Throw (Pangoro)
Storm Throw* (Pangoro)
Force Palm (Mienshao)
Mud Shot (Chesnaught)

I decided to put 25f on the Field egg group as it's designs fits with the rest of the group extremely well, as well as giving it the movepool options it needed. Dragon egg group was added mainly for flavor, given how similar it is to other pokemon in the Dragon egg group and also allowed it to get some of the required moves.
The breeding moves are mostly moves that I don't think would particularly fit with the design by themselves to be in the level up section, so I added them via breeding.

Total of moves: 82.

Dungeons and komodo dragons (and, occasionally, chameleons)

To the movepool, I added a lot of lizard flavor, specially taking as reference our favourite chameleon pokemon, Kecleon. On the level up section, Scratch and Slash are staples on draconic, clawed lizards like the Axew family, Druddigon, Kecleon and Totodile's family.
Lick is an interesting level up option seen in a few reptile pokémon, like Kecleon and Seviper. It references Smokomodo's chameleon design - chameleons are known for it's big tongue, covered in a sticky substance to trap it's prey. That leads us to our next step of the movepool - the poison and trapping flavor, but first, let's talk about Camouflage. Camouflage is arguably one of the most known traits of a chameleon. I gave Smokomodo Camouflage as a late, support, level-up move to match it's chameleon and volcanic aesthetic (it's skin reminds me of the scorched earth found near active volcanoes - in which it can blend out).
Now, on to the trapping flavor. I added Sand Tomb on the level up section and Fire Spin on the by a prior evolution section - both are required moves and reference the slight trapping flavor on Smokomodo's movepool.
Sticky substances are often related to poison on both the real and pokémon worlds. This reminded me of the komodo dragon - referenced on CAP25's name -, one of the few known venomous lizards in the world. I added a lot of Poison-type flavor to reference Smokomodo's name and, since the most powerful, physical, Poison-type move (Gunk Shot) was required, I gave it other flavor options in Poison Jab and Sludge Bomb via TMs. Sludge Wave was not added because, in the games, it's animation is a bunch of toxic residue being randomly thrown everywhere - even hitting the user's partner - and I do not see Smokomodo using this move at all. I think of CAP25f as a smart, strategic attacker that would not randomly spray it's toxins everywhere.

Pompeii

I see Smokomodo as a walking volcano, just like it's design suggests, so I wanted to play with the cycle of life of a volcano. It erupts, the lava flows through the earth and, after a long time, the volcano "dies" - but it still might come back for another round of destruction.
I gave it Eruption as a level one move because of that. Smokomodo is able to erupt and use the lava to completely obliterate it's foe. Lava Plume was chosen as the level up move of choice to reference the lava flowing through the earth, and I can see Smokomodo's pre-evolution finally evolving after being able to use it's lava for the fullest extent of it's capabilities.
Smokescreen and Smog were added to the level up section to reference the smoke coming from it's back, as well as referencing the pyroclastic flow - the massive amount of smoke that can be seen coming from the volcano after it erupts. Smog also added a lot of poison flavor and also referenced the pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (oof! that was hard to spell) - a disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust, commonly related to volcanoes.
Fissure was added to reference the tectonic activity, related to the magma under the earth.
Burn Up was added late in the movepool to reference the death of a volcano and it's loss of power. By definition, a dead volcano is a volcano that hasn't erupted for about ten thousand years and is expected to never erupt again. However, that doesn't mean it can't erupt again. Studies showed that, recently, volcanic activity has been increasing all around the globe! Some super-volcanoes are even showing signs of reawakening, like the Campi Flegrei under the italian city of Naples. That's why I added Eruption again as a late level up move right after Burn Up, to reference the possibility of a volcano reawakening.

Sandcastles in a beach of lava

Sand-Attack and Magnitude are common low-level Ground-type moves that also reference Smokomodo's design. The later, in particular, being able to play with the magnitude of a volcanic eruption.
Earthquake was added later in the movepool to reference the tectonic activity, kinda like Fissure. The level up movepool might seem like it doesn't have as many Ground-type moves, but it is similar to Incineroar's - it only learned 3 Dark-type moves via level up. It also contain every move that I believe is needed to add the Ground-type flavor as well as the movepool requirements.

Jackie Chan-meleon

Via TMs and breeding, I added a lot of Fighting-type flavor. Moves like Storm Throw and Circle Throw, in my opinion, although required, didn't fit the design enough to be added via level up (I honestly can't see Smokomodo throwing or punching anything with it's short arms) - so I added them via breeding. Moves like Focus Blast and Low Sweep were added to the TM section for the flavor, while punching and throwing moves were added to the breeding section.

The Charizard syndrome

Although it looks like a dragon, Smokomodo wasn't given the Dragon type. It's threatlist didn't allow it any powerful Dragon-type coverage moves like Dragon Tail or Outrage either, so I did my best to still give it a bit of draconic flavor.
Dragon Pulse was added via tutor. It is basically a less powerful Hidden Power [Ice] (85 BP vs Technician-boosted 90BP) that gives less coverage. The same applies to Dragon Breath, added via chain breeding, that has the same base power as a Technician-boosted Hidden Power [Ice], but hits fewer pokemon (although it has a, in my opinion, irrelevant chance of paralysing the foe).

Rough times
An event is always required to release a starter's hidden ability, so I made two different events. It was also a nice way to give it access to the required move Celebrate. The first event is to celebrate CAP's silver anniversary. The second one is a really serious subject.
The second even was added to honor Maria da Penha, a very brave woman. We have been going through rough times everywhere in the globe. Sexism, racism, homophobia and xenophobia are everywhere and the conservatism seems to be taking over the globe. However, we have to keep our heads high and fight for our freedom, or right to love and be loved and to be who we are.

How to train your komodo dragon

The tutor section has a lot of flavor as well as a lot of required moves. Superpower was added for the Fighting-type flavor and to play with Smokomodo's strength (similarly to how the Totodile line gets it). Earth Power gives it another Ground-type move, while also being required. Stealth Rock and Defog are both required moves as well. Stomping Tantrum was added because I see Smokomodo being a little bit... moody. I can see it being like Ash's Charizard in the anime if the trainer can't properly train it. I gave it Focus Punch for the flavor as well as Iron Tail - it has a big tail and should use it somehow. #FreeDragonTail

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Belly Drum is banned, the move is technically viable with Z Normalium and Swords Dance was banned for power level reasons, so Belly Drum should be banned as well.

As for Celebrate and Egg moves, I think the most reasonable request would be that the omniboosting set be legal. Otherwise submittors have to jump through hoops to accommodate one move and I'd rather not force that onto people at this time. Just ask yourself what moves people might want to run on that set and handle it as you see fit, and we'll let the voters sort it out.

WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Poison Fang
1 Fire Fang
1 Crunch
1 Scratch
1 Growl
1 Ember
1 Smokescreen
Evo Lava Plume
4 Growl
6 Ember
11 Smokescreen

14 Fire Spin
18 Bite
22 Flame Wheel
25 Magnitude
28 Poison Fang
31 Fire Fang

35 Slash
38 Crunch
45 Mud Bomb
51 Belch
57 Earthquake
62 Flare Blitz
69 Gunk Shot

74 Eruption
82 Fissure

Smokomodo's Level Up sequence was based off of a combination of Delphox and Incineroar's patterns, with Delphox's levels and STAB and non-STAB patterns and Incineroar's more attacking moveset. I wanted Smokomodo to resemble a komodo dragon early in its movepool, with basic Fire-type moves and several bite attacks and scratch, most notably Poison Fang, as the komodo dragon has one of the most venomous bites in the entire animal kingdom. But as Smokomodo's levels increase, he begins to take an earth-shaking moveset starting with a volcano's typical mudslide as the eruption begins. Flames roar inside of the stomach of the volcano, and toxic gasses belch out of its mouth. The eruption sets off an earthquake, spewing more toxic gunk into the atmosphere, until the final eruption happens, splitting the ground with the force of its tremors. All-in-all, I see Smokomodo as less of an intelligent and crafty fighter than a monster wielding the raw power and rage of the primordial earth itself. Basically, as it becomes more powerful, it becomes more like a volcano, and less like a lizard. Sure, it has staple moves to stealthily and efficiently hunt prey with, such as its powerful and incredibly venomous bite, but Smokomodo is going to be winning big fights in the wild through sheer overwhelming rage and power alone. Smokomodo is so powerful, even his weaker attacks pack more of a punch than another Pokemon would. A volcano doesn't wait for the perfect moment to strike. It explodes and destroys everything in its path whenever it damn well pleases, and every little effect it has will be devastating.

CAP25F-1 Bulldoze
CAP25F-1 Mud Slap
CAP25F-2 Mud Shot
CAP25F-1 Poison Gas
CAP25F-2 Clear Smog

Bulldoze is CAP25F-1's weaker version of CAP25F-2's Magnitude. Mud Slap is the lower step to Mud Shot, which itself is the lower step to Mud Bomb. Similarly, Poison Gas is the lower step to Clear Smog, and both would replace Belch, as the weaker volcanoes of CAP25F-1 and 2 release less toxins less violently.

Acid (Arbok)
Acid Spray (Arbok)
Bullet Punch (Pangoro)
Circle Throw (Pangoro)
Force Palm (Lucario)
Incinerate (Darmanitan)
Mach Punch (Infernape)
Morning Sun (Espeon)
Sand Tomb (Krookodile)

Burn Up (Typhlosion)
Bone Rush (Lucario)
Venom Drench (Salazzle)
Camouflage (Kecleon)
Dig (Krookodile)
Earth Power (Camerupt)
Heat Wave (Charizard)
Inferno (Charizard)
Surf (Feraligatr)

Field is the typical egg group of Fire starters, while Monster is chosen to attach Smokomodo to Charizard and other lizard Pokemon, and because I see Smokomodo as more of a monster than a dragon, despite its komodo dragon namesake. I also don't like the idea of a Dragon Egg Group Pokemon not having a single Dragon type move, as giving it Dragon Claw is no good, and I don't want to give a Pokemon whose claws are one of its biggest features Dragon-type moves without Dragon Claw. Anyways, Smokomodo has inherited a lot of Poison type moves from its lizard brethren to reflect its komodo dragon heritage, alongside Camouflage because komodo dragons have camouflage skills to hunt their prey, and Surf because Game Freak seems to have a tendency to give many non-Water-type lizards in the Monster egg group Surf. And yes, komodo dragons can swim. And it's terrifying.

CAP 25 Celebration

Smokomodo @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Eruption
- Belch
- Fissure

Smokomodo @ Relic Crown
Level 79
- Eruption
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Belch

Defog
Low Kick
Iron Tail
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch

Blast Burn
Fire Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam

TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat

TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM78 Bulldoze
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Poison coverage continues in the TMs, as well as some other flavorful grass and and normal coverage, but also several things illustrating Smokomodo's hunting nature with some violent fighting-type coverage and moves like Torment and Roar. I also included Explosion cuz volcanoes explode and that's cool. :>

85 total moves

Finally whittled it all down. Small edits to maybe be made in the future, but I'm mostly pretty set.

Last edited:

G-Luke

WIP

Bold = required moves
Italics = repeated moves

1 Poison Fang
1 Fire Fang
1 Crunch
1 Scratch
1 Growl
1 Ember
1 Smokescreen
Evo Lava Plume
4 Growl
6 Ember
11 Smokescreen

14 Fire Spin
18 Magnitude
22 Flame Wheel
28 Poison Fang
31 Fire Fang
38 Crunch

45 Mud Bomb
51 Belch
57 Earthquake
62 Gunk Shot

68 Eruption
74 Fissure

Smokomodo's Level Up sequence was based off of a combination of Delphox and Incineroar's patterns, with Delphox's levels and STAB and non-STAB patterns and Incineroar's more attacking moveset. I wanted Smokomodo to resemble a komodo dragon early in its movepool, with basic Fire-type moves and several bite attacks, most notably Poison Fang, as the komodo dragon has one of the most venomous bites in the entire animal kingdom. But as Smokomodo's levels increase, he begins to take an earth-shaking moveset starting with a volcano's typical mudslide as the eruption begins. Flames roar inside of the stomach of the volcano, and toxic gasses belch out of its mouth. The eruption sets off an earthquake, spewing more toxic gunk into the atmosphere, until the final eruption happens, splitting the ground with the force of its tremors. All-in-all, I see Smokomodo as less of an intelligent and crafty fighter than a monster wielding the raw power and rage of the primordial earth itself. Sure, it has staple moves to stealthily and efficiently hunt prey with, such as its powerful and incredibly venomous bite, but Smokomodo is going to be winning big fights in the wild through sheer overwhelming rage and power alone. Smokomodo is so powerful, even his weaker attacks pack more of a punch than another Pokemon would. A volcano doesn't wait for the perfect moment to strike. It explodes and destroys everything in its path whenever it damn well pleases, and every little effect it has will be devastating.

CAP25F-1 Bulldoze
CAP25F-1 Mud Slap
CAP25F-2 Mud Shot
CAP25F-1 Poison Gas
CAP25F-2 Clear Smog

Acid (Arbok)
Acid Spray (Arbok)
Bullet Punch (Pangoro)
Circle Throw (Pangoro)
Flare Blitz (Charizard)
Force Palm (Lucario)
Incinerate (Darmanitan)
Mach Punch (Infernape)
Morning Sun (Espeon)
Sand Tomb (Krookodile)

Burn Up (Typhlosion)
Bone Rush (Lucario)
Venom Drench (Seviper)
Camouflage (Kecleon)
Dig (Krookodile)
Earth Power (Camerupt)
Heat Wave (Charizard)
Inferno (Charizard)
Dive (Feraligatr)
Surf (Feraligatr)

Field is the typical egg group of Fire starters, while Monster is chosen to attach Smokomodo to Charizard and other lizard Pokemon, and because I see Smokomodo as more of a monster than a dragon, despite its komodo dragon namesake. I also don't the idea of Dragon Egg Group Pokemon not having a single Dragon type move, as giving it Dragon Claw is no good, and I don't want to give a Pokemon whose claws are one of its biggest features Dragon-type moves without Dragon Claw. Anyways, Smokomodo has inherited a lot of Poison type moves from its lizard brethren to reflect its komodo dragon heritage, alongside Camouflage because komodo dragons have camouflage skills to hunt their prey, and Surf and Dive because, yes, komodo dragons can swim. And it's terrifying

CAP 25 Celebration

Smokomodo @ Bottle Cap
Level 50
- Celebrate
- Eruption
- Belch
- Fissure

Smokomodo @ Relic Crown
Level 79
- Eruption
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Belch

Defog
Low Kick
Iron Tail
Stealth Rock
Fire Punch
Focus Punch

Blast Burn
Fire Pledge

TM01 Work Up
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam

TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat

TM54 False Swipe
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM78 Bulldoze
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

89 total moves

Sitting at 89 moves now, but still calling for a check on Thunder Punch and Thunder Fang, as well as Surf and Dive. The removal of these would result in 85 moves, but I want to see what happens for now.
Cbrevan straight up tagged you to show that Physical electric coverage is banned lmao

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Same thing G-Luke said, but I don't really get the whole Surf and Dive thing. Like yeah I guess if you made a stretch it could kind of work for flavor, but aside from it's name it shares more in common with a chameleon than anything. And heck the actual komodo dragon mon we have right now in Kommo-o doesn't get these moves either. I fail to see how a Fire/Ground reptile that (presumably) lives in dry climates would be adept at surfing the high seas or diving deep below.

Cbrevan straight up tagged you to show that Physical electric coverage is banned lmao
Dunno what happened, I think I just copy-pasted from my earlier submission, and hit Post Reply before moving onto copy-paste the next mon so I could post 'em all around the same time. Whatever I did, it's fixed now.
Thanks for the feedback on Surf and Dive, tho. I really like those two moves, and I've had my similar doubts, but, after some prompted consideration, I think I'll drop Dive, but keep Surf. Game Freak has a pattern of giving many Monster-egg group non-Water-types (many of which are lizards, known for their freaky swimming capabilities) Surf, and one could find as much difficulty seeing the Nidos, the Lickitung family, the Rhyperior family, Kangaskhan, Snorlax, Tyranitar, Exploud, Aggron, Rampardos, Garchomp, Haxorus, Druddigon, Hydreigon, Heliolisk, and Drampa all Surfing as you would with CAP25f.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Will Bold the Required moves
and Italicize the repeated moves (great idea G-Luke)

1 - Eruption
1 - Sand Tomb
1 - Fire Spin
1 - Incinerate

1 - Lava Plume
EVO - Lava Plume
1 - Scratch
1 - Ember
1 - Leer
1 - Mud-Slap
4 - Leer
8 - Mud-Slap

11 - Smokescreen
14 - Smog
16 - Flame Wheel
19 - Quick Attack
24 - Mud Shot
28 - Clear Smog
33 - Bulldoze

38 - Dragon Breath
44 - Earth Power
49 - Screech
55 - Flare Blitz
60 - Earthquake

66 - Eruption

Unique Moves: 21

The level-up distribution is equivalent to Incineroar's and aims for a similar balance of utility and offensive moves. I wanted to focus on capitalising on the Smoke aspect of its design with the various Smog moves featuring heavily, which I think compliments the volcanic nature of its primary Stab moves. Flame Wheel and Flare Blitz are perhaps the least 'volcanic' or 'earth like' however they are its most important physical Fire stabs and should be included for that reason. I've included Dragon Breath in its level up moveset as its quite common for Dragon like Pokemon around the level 30 range. I've capped off the final move as Eruption as this is pretty common for Volcanic Pokemon. I was debating about what to fit in at level 19 Horn Attack or Quick Attack, but settled on Quick Attack since its not a particularly problematic priority move and is mainly found at that level range (1-20) and is in the level up moves of quite a few lizard and reptile like starters ie. Helioptile, Treecko, and in some of the Fire starters like Cyndaquil and Torchic. The trapping move Fires Spin as a Heart Scale move matches the other reptilian Fire starter Charizard, as does Sand Tomb for Flygon (at least in previous generations). Incinerate is also commonly seen as a level 1 move in Gen 7 following its removal from being a TM in previous generations. Screech at level 49 matches the Gen 7 stat drop requirement, and is flavorful for the reason that it drops defense like the previous move leer.

TM01 - Work Up
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM47 - Low Sweep
TM48 - Round
TM50 - Overheat
TM54 - False Swipe
TM61 - Will-O-Wisp
TM67 - Smart Strike
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM95 - Snarl
TM96 - Nature Power
TM100 - Confide

Unique Moves: 34

A lot of the TMs that have been chosen fit into logical stab TMs as well as types that have already been approved or have directly stronger equivalents such as Brick Break, Poison Jab, and Sludge Bomb. Low Sweep is fine considering move likes Force Palm and Bulldoze exist. Smart Strike is a fairly harmless coverage options that don't threaten counters (specifically Latios) with 2HKOs and also has a relatively weak Z move, and is flavorful because of its (Smart strike comes to all horned Pokemon). Snarl is weaker than other special moves in terms of base power and coverage against some of the counters, but has interesting utility, and is flavorful for appearing on a few Dragon like and lizard Pokemon (Scraggy, Scrafty, Druddigon). Nature Power fits with the theme of volcanic pokemon (Cyndaquil line, Slugma line, Camerupt, Torkoal etc.)

Poison Fang - Can be bred from Ekans
Acid Spray - Can be bred from Ekans
Stealth Rock - Can be bred from Tyrunt
Morning Sun - Can be bred from Espeon
Circle Throw - Can be bred from Whismur (as a second chain)
Force Palm - Can be bred from Breloom
Storm Throw - Can be bred from Pancham or Pangoro (as a second chain)
Mach Punch - Can be bred from Breloom
Bullet Punch - Can be bred from Pangoro
Pursuit - Can be bred from Treecko

Unique Moves: 10

I thought Field and Dragon for the reasons that Kecleon is from the Field Egg group, and some similar lizards like Sceptile, Arbok, Charizard etc. are in the Dragon egg group. Arbok, Seviper, Scraggy and Scrafty are in both the Field and Dragon egg groups. Scrafty in particular I think is quite similar in style to Smokodo conceptually as a stylised Lizard. Outside of Flavor reasons it's a great way to add some of the more niche mandatory moves onto the set without having to jam them into the Level-Up moves. Pursuit is the only non compulsory move I could think of as an interesting option that received a little bit of discussion but hasn't been explicitly banned or accepted. It is also an egg move for some Reptile and
Dragon like Pokemon ie. Arbok, Snivy, Aerodactyl.

Gunk Shot
Stealth Rock
Defog

Iron Tail
Fire Punch
Drill Run
Earth Power
Heat Wave
Dragon Pulse
Helping Hand
Endeavor
Super Power
Low Kick
Blast Burn
Fire Pledge
Snore

Unique Moves: 14

As far as the current flavor moves, I chose Iron Tail because of the size of its tail, also because a lot of Dragon-style Pokemon like Charizard and Salamence have access to it. Endeavor is another move that a lot of Reptile like Pokemon get such as Sceptile, Axew and Rhyperior. The other flavour moves are more or less generic Fire and Ground moves, or coverage types like Low Kick and Dragon Pulse that are already outclassed by compulsory moves.

25th Anniversary CAP
Smokomodo
Level 50
Item: None
OT: Yilx
ID: 002506
Met: A Pokemon Centre (Fateful Encounter)
Ribbon: Birthday Ribbon
- Celebrate
- Earthquake
- Acid Spray
- Flare Blitz

Unique Moves: 1

I included Acid Spray since I only have it as an Egg Move and it can perhaps lead to a Special oriented Omniboost set. I don't think any of my other egg moves are likely to be run, and I think the priority in particular is wise to keep off as it makes it harder to revenge kill. The OT goes to Yilx who designed the artwork of course, and the ID is made up of 25, and the 06 responds to F the 6th letter of the alphabet. I will follow this pattern for my other submissions too.

Total Unique moves: 80

Thanks Roland, Quanyails and all the others on discord for flavor suggestions, this one had a lot of edits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)