CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my entry. He's kind of a porcupine-rat-mole-draftsman. I personally love how it turned out.

The poison type is covered by not only the poisonous spurs on his legs (and noxious-colored coat), but also the poison-coated stylus he draws with.

The ground type is covered by what animals he is primarily comprised of, as they are natural burrowers. He has a very naturalistic apron-like fur pattern as well.

I wanted to make a pokemon that looked like he could draw walls, pull anything out of his pouch to help his team (he's a marsupial, that's no pocket), and spin at will. I wanted to make a pokemon who truly fit the utility concept.
Heh, y'know most of the thread I just skimmed over, looking more than reading. At first I thought "WTF is this porcupine rat supposed to be/do?", but now that you put it that way... lol, I might end up drawing my own version of that to make it more pokemon-y, would you mind if I did do that?

Also, because I felt the simplicity just wasn't there, here's another take on my concept:

What do you guys think? Better, or worse than the first? (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1294865&postcount=390) Personally I like #2 better myself, as now he looks like he's gonna do something funky to you with those spines. Also went with the top-skin being covered in sand-colored camouflage scales, hence the dotting.

Also, forgive the discoloration of it. When I draw, my hands tend to get in the way and kinda smudge stuff all over, so it ends up with this smearing... I hope I get some support, because then if there's nothing else I could do to improve it I could ink it, erase all the smudging, and get it scanned in tomorrow.

Here's another idea I thought would work. Obviously its not the first time something like this has been done or thought of. I was going off the idea of a porcupine with mole influences.

I think it makes sense for all the criteria of CAP 4. It is a ground creature: it digs and lives on the ground. It also has poison spines (making it an obvious Poison/Ground). I think it fits with the move pool. Spines for toxic spikes (they can shoot their spines!), it can roll up for rapid spin, it looks pretty fast for me first and encore, but is obviously defensive. I could see it fanning the broad tail spines for tail wind also.

I just whipped it up very quickly too see what it might look like. I'm pretty pleased at the design. Here it is....

On another note, I REALLY like Elagune's. It is a beautiful piece of work but it looks a bit like a sweeper or tank; like its gonna tear you to shreds.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2586/smogsandimptailer0.jpg
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/5263/sandsmogimp4xz7.jpg
Eep! Now that there's so much green in the smog, I feel like it's not Ground enough! I think the smog reached its peak here. Still, some people seem to like it, so maybe I should shut my mouth. :)

And would some tiny little spikes up and down his forearms really ruin the feel? Just some ideas.
I'm not sure. Maybe I'll play with it later, if I have time. I think that might push it closer to the Dark side (ha).
Hmm, maybe. Is there any room on the Smogimp for a bell collar so that it can have Heal Bell, or would that make the Pokémon too crowded with acessories? I would suggest skull-shaped bells a la Street Wraith, although I think that might really push it over to the Dark / Ghost side of things. A poisoinous skull-bell, maybe? :P

Anyway, yeah. This imp is really starting to shape up. Moreover, it seems to have caught the nickname of Smogimp, making it a wonderful little Smogon mascot indeed! :D

I'll start coming up with some names for it, in case it wins.

thankyou, at least 3 people like it, maybe if i get 1 more person i might actually color it
Here here!

thank you but the trouble is what color is should be, because im going to probably need suggestions
Um, Tan with purple worked in, maybe? Or the other way around? Red, even? I mean, come on, it's a Poison / Ground. What colors are there to choose from?

I like this creature quite a bit myself. Actually, to be honest, I like all the ideas on this thread.

I'll probably sketch up a design myself, though it won't come 'til tomorrow. I don't know how well it will stand up to the talent oozing out of this board, but I'll try my best.
thank you but the trouble is what color is should be, because im going to probably need suggestions

Love the Smog Imp, and Elagune's thingie is awesome. I like Sanglunaria's armadillo and UberMunch's porcupine, but I think it's a bit biased to Ground.

that was why i created it because it met all the cretia, but no one liked it

On a side note, salamenceslasher, but I think the Driller thing is a bit too mechanical to be a Pokemon. I don't really know if the drill's its tail or something else.

Well, I was thinking a poison-y purple, close to Weezing's color for the main body, with the stripe/back of his head an earthy color. Not super dark, of course, as that would make it seem less "Pokemon-y", its greatest attribute. Beyond that, well... it doesn't have much room for other colors, but what pokemon does? XP Really, quite a number of pokemon pull the "one-color-and-some-extra-detail" thing quite well (Ninetails, -Weezing-, Chansey :P{perhaps not as well...}, etc.). This beastie looks like one of those.

Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been lurking around here for a while now. I first stumbled onto the CAP Project just when Pyroak was being started. After seeingthe project progress I thought it was pretty neat and I especially liked all the cool art submissions for such a unique typing. Anyways heres a little something I came up with for the Poison/Ground Utility Poke.

Its basically a humanoid-ish spider guy. It uses different combinations of venoms to hurt enemies or help allies. It can Rapid Spin using its powerful legs, Tailwind by using special silk from the abdomen, and use encore, light screen and reflect via its Mr. Mime-like hands.
So what do you think?

Well, I was thinking a poison-y purple, close to Weezing's color for the main body, with the stripe/back of his head an earthy color. Not super dark, of course, as that would make it seem less "Pokemon-y", its greatest attribute. Beyond that, well... it doesn't have much room for other colors, but what pokemon does? XP Really, quite a number of pokemon pull the "one-color-and-some-extra-detail" thing quite well (Ninetails, -Weezing-, Chansey :P{perhaps not as well...}, etc.). This beastie looks like one of those.
thanks for the suggestion, i will work on it right away,...probably update it tomorrow

@ lorak - The arms are supposed to be bent up a bit with long claws hanging down. Meh, maybe they look kinda off but in my mind, I guess they looked right. Skeletal structures aren't really my best area ...

Eep! Now that there's so much green in the smog, I feel like it's not Ground enough! I think the smog reached its peak here. Still, some people seem to like it, so maybe I should shut my mouth. :)
Honestly? Conceptually I've always pictured it constantly changing depending on his mood or what attack he's using. Maybe I'll draw up the difference between using ground attacks (where, maybe, it changes to completely sand), and poison attacks (purple-black-green).

Hmm, maybe. Is there any room on the Smogimp for a bell collar so that it can have Heal Bell, or would that make the Pokémon too crowded with acessories? I would suggest skull-shaped bells a la Street Wraith, although I think that might really push it over to the Dark / Ghost side of things. A poisoinous skull-bell, maybe? :P
I really don't want to overdo him. Pokemon, generally, stick to being pretty simple.

Those bells are really cool though. If this was a Dark type I wouldn't hesitate. But the poor Imp has enough complaints about his appearance being too dark.

Anyway, yeah. This imp is really starting to shape up. Moreover, it seems to have caught the nickname of Smogimp, making it a wonderful little Smogon mascot indeed! :D

I'll start coming up with some names for it, in case it wins.
That would be very cool. :)

Hey guys, this is my first post but I have been lurking around here for a while now. I first stumbled onto the CAP Project just when Pyroak was being started. After seeingthe project progress I thought it was pretty neat and I especially liked all the cool art submissions for such a unique typing. Anyways heres a little something I came up with for the Poison/Ground Utility Poke.

Its basically a humanoid-ish spider guy. It uses different combinations of venoms to hurt enemies or help allies. It can Rapid Spin using its powerful legs, Tailwind by using special silk from the abdomen, and use encore, light screen and reflect via its Mr. Mime-like hands.
So what do you think?
What I think is... it's a bit overdone. TBH, you've got far more detail in there than a normal pokemon should have; I get the impression that it's a Digimon more than a Pokemon XD (That's not to say it's not a phenomenal drawing, just that it could be more pokemon-like. Perhaps its merely the coloring that's confusing me? Lol, probably...)

EDIT: Figured out what's wrong. It's the eyes. Not quite pokemon-like. This guy's too human-like (as you said) to be taking the bug part for its eyes. I bet a solid black with a white shine highlight similar to Pikachu's eyes could make all the difference, if even possibly altering it more.

Man do I wish I at least had my old colored pencils, I feel like I can't compete with only one every other 3 submissions/ideas being colored ;_;

diamondust and houndoom look, i drew this like 7 pages back
Here's another idea I thought would work. Obviously its not the first time something like this has been done or thought of. I was going off the idea of a porcupine with mole influences.

I think it makes sense for all the criteria of CAP 4. It is a ground creature: it digs and lives on the ground. It also has poison spines (making it an obvious Poison/Ground). I think it fits with the move pool. Spines for toxic spikes (they can shoot their spines!), it can roll up for rapid spin, it looks pretty fast for me first and encore, but is obviously defensive. I could see it fanning the broad tail spines for tail wind also.

I just whipped it up very quickly too see what it might look like. I'm pretty pleased at the design. Here it is....

On another note, I REALLY like Elagune's. It is a beautiful piece of work but it looks a bit like a sweeper or tank; like its gonna tear you to shreds.
Yeah, I really like the porcupine idea, glad I thought of it :naughty:. JK, but do you think it would look better if it were'nt so skinny? This is a defensive pokemon after all, and this guy looks a litte bit underfed and frail.

i think the smogimp is the best, but i'm really enjoying munch's porcupine, sal's sandworm, and elagune's naga.

What I think is... it's a bit overdone. TBH, you've got far more detail in there than a normal pokemon should have; I get the impression that it's a Digimon more than a Pokemon XD (That's not to say it's not a phenomenal drawing, just that it could be more pokemon-like. Perhaps its merely the coloring that's confusing me? Lol, probably...)

EDIT: Figured out what's wrong. It's the eyes. Not quite pokemon-like. This guy's too human-like (as you said) to be taking the bug part for its eyes. I bet a solid black with a white shine highlight similar to Pikachu's eyes could make all the difference, if even possibly altering it more.

Man do I wish I at least had my old colored pencils, I feel like I can't compete with only one every other 3 submissions/ideas being colored ;_;
Thanks for the input. I actually thought it might be a little too complicated
for a pokemon but looking at past CAP projects I didn't think it was out of the question. I actually tried black eyes on one of my first concepts and it looked kinda too creepy for pokemon but I didn't do the white highlights so that might change it.

Unfortunately, Im going out of town for a week (leaving tomarrow morning) and will be unable to update my entry anymore than what it is right now (It was an ordeal getting it on the computer in the first place..) So anyone is free to edit it as they see fit.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is absolutely amazing. I am absolutely, 100% going to vote for this. This even has the utility "feel" due to the big gem thingy on the end of tail on a beast that floats (you know, levitating magically, magical things are generally utility / special types (at least in other games))

Awesome work.

If I had to nitpick, I would probably agree with Maniac that you should try to emphasize the elements more. Perhaps a smog type cloud from the tail, some dirt splashed over it, and maybe some spike things so we can argue giving it toxic spikes, spikes and rapid spin.

EDIT: I see that you have your purple "main" as possibly the smog, but I feel it can be emphasized a bit.

um,thats alot of color
I'd say you should keep it simple, even though the design is already quite simple. A lot of colors wouldn't make it any more impressive. Usually animals' color markings go along these certain latitudes along their body, IE belly a lighter, different color than the top; segmented colorings along a snake's body to warn of danger. For a snake/worm, you already have the pattern on there, but... I can't exactly tell what part's the pattern, of where the technical mid-body would be (ie like on mine where the sand-top gives way to the snake segments of the belly). Define that, and you might be able to think of some color pairing options. I looked at the head and thought "Hmm... that top could be yellow, then down the back-wait what part IS the back?"

Also, I find it funny how this two-way between you two started with you quoting tennis' comment on mine. Thanks for that BTW, it's good to know I'm turning a few heads :)

I absolutely and positively like this one the best, hands down. I can see it learning a whole bunch of the utility moves including Spikes, Tailwind, and Wish. It also looks like it can be defensive yet very fast. Great work! Hope this wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)