CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 14 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, the only thing I don't like about Dragonz sprite IS the foggy leg...

It just looks... ugh...

That and the fact that it has knees, quadropeds (with the exception of elephants) don't have knees ._.

Ok, thankyou. I'll change the fog right now.

EDIT:

I also fixed the shape of the fog and the tail.
-Try drawing lines of symmetry on the mask so you can see how things like the tabs and mouth especially should line up. (Left and right tabs are attached at uneven points. The center of the mouth does not line up with the center of the mask, nor does it follow the outwardly curved contour.)
-Its right rear leg is too far right and looks awkward. Just shift the whole thing left ~2 pixels and you will see a big improvement.

My reaction (feel free to ignore this part): Well rendered on the most part, but an entire foot dissolving and unable to support its weight makes it look crippled.

Edit: Atyroki's right, the right foreleg cannot bend like that.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Might as well wrap this up and call it a night, eh?

Got work again in the morning so it's unlikely I'll be able to make any revisions until mag closes the topic.

I hope my backsprites are decent this time around and not a trainwreck like Arghonaut's... ._.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Might as well wrap this up and call it a night, eh?

Got work again in the morning so it's unlikely I'll be able to make any revisions until mag closes the topic.

I hope my backsprites are decent this time around and not a trainwreck like Arghonaut's... ._.

I love the shiny coloring ^^
And the backsprite is very cool too, the only thing i can say is that i see the tail too "fat", but everything else is very awesome. Good Job!

Headpunch, your sprites look great but they just seem like both are shiny, i know it is your final submission but it just seems off.

I finished everything up, then threw together this, which is essentially the same, with the body facing the other way. Any thoughts?

Final submission

Well, this is my final submission. The backsprite could have been better, and I'll see if I have the time to edit it later, but for now I'll settle for this.
Good luck to everyone!

Well, this is my final submission. The backsprite could have been better, and I'll see if I have the time to edit it later, but for now I'll settle for this.
Good luck to everyone!
The frame 1 version is big...
The frame 2 version is small...

You have size issues xD.

I finished everything up, then threw together this, which is essentially the same, with the body facing the other way. Any thoughts?

Overshaded^ but good.

Edit; I like headpunche's one a lot.

Good job.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
oh God, I am so behind. And I still have to do shiny and back sprites. ;_;
Anyways, I made a bunch of little changes to the main front sprites.

BEFORE
AFTER

Dragonzrule, I would say the same thing as Raptor, use the red one but keep the original mask color.

Wizwum, your background has to be transparent.

And Headpunch, your sprite is missing an outline in several places when it's copied into MS paint.

Dragonzrule, I would say the same thing as Raptor, use the red one but keep the original mask color.

Wizwum, your background has to be transparent.

And Headpunch, your sprite is missing an outline in several places when it's copied into MS paint.
MS Paint cannot detect transparency, so it simply sets it as black. That black happens to blend with the black used in my outline, so that's why it appears to be missing an outline in some places. There are no missing outlines.

MS Paint cannot detect transparency, so it simply sets it as black. That black happens to blend with the black used in my outline, so that's why it appears to be missing an outline in some places. There are no missing outlines.
Well, when I copy it into Paint.NET, which does detect transparent backgrounds, the background is still converted to black. I suggest you make your outline a slightly off-black color like everyone elses instead of straight black so that your outline isn't lost when the sprite is copied into an image editer.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I had initially planned to close the thread today, but it seems like a fair number of spriters are a little behind (unless I am mistaken... I could be).

So another day will hopefully be enough, hmmm? :S

Well, when I copy it into Paint.net, which does detect transparent backgrounds, the background is still converted to black. I suggest you make your outline a slightly off-black color like everyone elses instead of straight black so that your outline isn't lost when the sprite is copied into an image editer.
Actually, you happen to be one of the few who did that. Both KoA and Wyverii used true black. In-game sprites don't use true black; however, it's not necessary to do the same here.

Saving the image and opening it in Paint.net rather than copying it into a blank canvas will solve the problem you were having.

Final Submission

Well, I decided to stop fiddling and just post it up. Whilst I liked the alternate angle, I'd have to mess around with the direction of the lighting, and redo the backsprites completely. Good luck to all the entrants :) .

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I'm glad that my backsprites aren't total flops, aye?

I will fiddle with the tail with later tonight. I'm fucking exhausted from work and am planning on napping for a few hours.

CaP7 is turning out to be the most competitive CaP so far, especially within the art polls. I look forward to seeing everyone duke it out, myself included.

:)

Also, while D/P sprites don't generally use pure black, a fair number do use white for things like highlights. That was probably irrelevant to anything but I felt ya'll would like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)