1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 7 - Stat Rating Poll

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by cyberzero, Apr 25, 2009.

?

What should our Stat Rating be?

1. Excellent (420-579)

17.1%
  2. Very Good (300-419)

70.4%
  3. Quite Good (250-299)

10.6%
  4. Good (210-249)

0.5%
  5. Average (175-209)

1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Our Pokemon so far:
    Type: Electric / Dragon
    Style Bias: Somewhat Defensive
    Build Bias: Mixed, possibly Special

This poll determines the desired overall "power level" of the pokemon's base stats. In the past, the Base Stat Total (BST) was used to measure the power of base statistics. Since BST is a very poor measurement for stat power, the CAP project now uses Base Stats Rating (BSR) to determine the overall effectiveness of a pokemon's base stats. Polling is simpler, and the results are more useful. The Base Stats Rating is determined by a formula created by X-Act.
    Information about the formula is located here.
    A utility for calculating Stat Rating is located here.
  2. Pyromanic

Pyromanic

I voted for Quite Good. I don't think we should give a dragon amazing stats.
  3. Hohahihehu

Hohahihehu

Voted Very Good, cause then we have more freedom with the stats but it's still not overpowered.
  4. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Very good allows us flexibility with the stats while not making it too powerful. Quite good is way too limiting after experimenting with spreads.
  5. gingbino11

gingbino11

Very Good. As it allows it the ability to take the hits, and have a few stat points in offence.
  6. Naxte

Naxte

Very Good, for pretty much the same reasons as people like tennis have said.
  7. joshe

joshe the best

Very Good because there is no way Excellent will win...

EDIT:Also I can make sooooo many stats with VG.
  8. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Very Good for the same reasons as Tennis. Seriously, Quite Good is too limiting for our needs at the moment.
  9. Grimoire

Grimoire

Very Good. I wouldn't mind having some 'excellent' suggestions, but the issue is, Excellent opens up the doors to spreads far more powerful than I would prefer to see on this guy. If Excellent was a much 'thinner' tier I would be more likely to support it(like 420-479 or some such). With a 579 possible BSR and the CaP minds behind it I could see this thing being broken VERY quickly. We would have to be very tight on the move-pool.

As for Quite Good. I feel it is just a bit too limited to make a mon that can appropriately defend and still have some attacking options. You would really have to dump a stat or two(maybe Shuckle style with 5's and 10's :D)
  10. hydrolphin

hydrolphin

Very Good is the choice to make for reasons tennis already stated.
  11. Gir!

Gir!

Very good, we want this thing to be a nice pokemon, but we dont want it to be the CAP Garchomp
  12. macle

macle ribbit
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Reason why I voted for very good. tennis makes so much sense.
  13. Robo-Ky

Robo-Ky

Voted Very Good, it allows for more flexibility without making our Pokemon ridiculously overpowered.
  14. Lostmyth

Lostmyth

I voted for good cause I think that it would force people where to put the stats, instead of just placing stats randomly.
  15. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Very Good b/c of flexibility and the fact that I want it to be a decent wall. If it doesn't have good rating, then it won't have good stats, so it won't be a good wall.
  16. ParadOxymoron

ParadOxymoron

With Fidgit, I regretted not voting Quite Good. However, with this, Very Good is the clear choice! :)
  17. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Very Good for usable stats!
  18. Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Seems to me that Very Good is the clear and obvious choice. We don't want to go beyond that 'cause then we run the risk of validating the fears that a Dragon-type CAP is guaranteed to be uber; but we can't afford to go lower than that without severely hobbling its ability to function, particularly since we've gone for a "Special and Defensive...but Flexible" general stat direction.
  19. petrie911

petrie911

Very Good. Excellent allow for far too much power, while Quite Good is really too limiting. Also, it just about every stat spread in the submission topic falls under Very Good, so it seems appropriate.
  20. pkmn-taicho321

pkmn-taicho321

Voted Very Good so we can make this guy as bulky as possible without destroying his offensive stats
  21. ferron

ferron

i would have to go with Very good, this thing is a dragon after all...
  22. pit-fall

pit-fall

Voted Quite Good. I do not want our first dragon to be overpowered.
  23. Videodude131

Videodude131

I like Excellent because I want our CAP to have around 450, no where near the 500s though
  24. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I went with Very Good because of the flexibility it allows us when making this CAP. CAP8 isn't going to be super offensive either, so we don't need to completely worry about those "super powerful" Dragon-type attacks.
  25. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

Very Good because it allows for much more flexibility within his stats
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)