CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 10 - Art Poll 3

Whose art should be CAP's main design?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
first post ::)
and i voted for DougJustDoug's because i thought a buffalo fits cap9's typing very well, although they were all pretty amazing.

CyzirVisheen absolutely all the way among these three. Mysterious's misses the whole point of what a dark type is, and Doug's is just too short, pudgy and cute for that face of its. Cyzir's narwhal fits the stats, typing, and concept too well while at the same time being a very original design without overstepping the limits of what makes a good Pokémon design.

EDIT: Thick, blubbery hide suggests high HP, big scary drill nose for the high attack, and it looks fast like Dugtrio looks fast--it burrows fast. Cyzir's is just too perfect for this concept.

I went with DougJustDoug's as it looks like something that would have AMC and Guts... Almost went with Cyzir, but doesn't fit the stat spread for me.

Although I had initially passed it up at first in the second art poll, after reading the supporting material for Mysteriousfellow's entry I simply cannot see any other as being our choice. His rendition may not be anywhere close to Sugimori style compared to the other two contenders, but I think Mysteriousfellow's concept is the one to best fit the theme and stats given. The idea of a storm-based body easily brings to mind the concept of high HP and low defenses (think Drifblim) while being able to move moderately fast along the ground. Since it's essentially an evil sandstorm, it looks like it would be the one to cause increased indirect damage; that is, until you think about how it sucks up those sandstorm/indirect-damage effects into itself. Quite honestly, I think many people are passing up Mysteriousfellow's concept art simply because he ended up drawing the sand particles in the body more like pieces of rock than sand/ground. ...on the subject of DougJustDoug's submission, all I'm going to say on that subject is I still don't see how Tauros and Miltank can be that blisteringly fast. :S If it came down to between Doug's and Cyzir's, though, I'd have to go for the one we don't already have a pokemon similar to in the sandworm narwhal, lol. (It reminds me of Diglet's incarcerated evil uncle...)

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I thought long and hard about this choice. And in the end I based my vote off of how the inevitable sprite will end up like.

Jotting down some quick poses of all three yielded some good results, but one design in particular ha the most appealing dynamic pose, and that one gets my vote.

But I am happy with any of them and am confident I could make a great sprite for the other two as well. :)

I voted for Doug; not really a fan of the narwhal concept, and Doug's just has a much better 'pokemon' feel than Mysteriousfellow's design....

I was pretty torn between Doug and BWings before, but as the latter is now out of the running (:pirate:) I'm voting for DougJustDoug. It just fits the stats, abilities and typing better than the others, really. All three are amazing though, so it doesn't really matter who wins at this point. x)

I voted for CyzirVisheen. Mysteriouses just screams at me that its Ground and Ghost. I can see it could be dark, but i'd say that it's over ruled by the ghost feeling, and as for Dougs... i just cant see how its strong, or is speedy, and i just dont like the design nearly as much as i like the others. like, so much so that i will lose pretty much all hope for the CAP program to produce any good designs in the future... As for the Narwhal, it's unique, good design, and fits the typing surprisingly well.

Honestly, when it comes down to three, I should have a favourite by now. In actual fact, I have two favourites: Doug and Cyzir's designs. My issue with Mysteriousfellow's design is that, being a creature not of flesh and blood, it cannot feasibly have an ability called Guts and, since we already have a new ability on CAP9, we shouldn't really rename an existing one just to fit one pokemon's design. Let Game Freak do that if they want.

For now, I will continue to abstain, but if the fourth poll is between Mysteriousfellow and either of the other two designs, I will vote for the other design at that point.

This is obviously an ad for Cyzir's Narwhal. Voted for Narwhal because they are, indeed, awesome. I can easily see this thing 'swimming' through the ground at pretty good speeds, and reflecting secondary attacks by spinning his drill/horn.
Vote for Narwhals! "They stop Cthulu eating ye."

I voted for Mysteriousfellow. Although Cyzir and Doug's designs are undoubtedly great, I've backed Mysteriousfellow's (and aragornbird's) since it was first posted, so I'm not simply going to vote for Cyzir/Doug just because they're bound to have a superior vote count. Mysteriousfellow's is just...it fits the concept better than the other two. It's still the early stages!

KoA

is an Artist
Since when do you need a physical body to possess courage and bravery? Is that not what having guts is all about? :|

I'm doubting the ability literally refers to ones innards...

Cyzir's Narwhal for the win.
Not only does the design seem practical, it's horn looks like it could enable the use of Drill Peck which could deter Grass, Fighting, and Bug types from trying to switch in on it.

Since when do you need a physical body to possess courage and bravery? Is that not what having guts is all about? :|

I'm doubting the ability literally refers to ones innards...
I'm pretty sure the ability does refer to one's innards since it only takes effect when the pokemon is poisoned, burned, paralysed or asleep.

EDIT:

what about Guts as in the will to continue on through all odds.
Why then isn't the ability just called Indomitable or Perseverance or Bitter End or something? That gets across the will to continue on through all odds.

Cyzir's just absolutely personifies CAP9 in every way. The bulky look of it exudes high HP, the aggressive look makes it immediately obvious of its great Attack score, and with the drill, it gives off the impression of burrowing quickly and without malice, alluding to its above average Speed stat. Plus, it's a goddamn whale with a drill on its head.

To be honest though, I'd be happy with any other submission; great work guys.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Guts refers to how, even while crippled by status, the Pokemon will keep on fighting, and even boost its strength to compete with the new problem.

Also, voted for Cyzir. I like all three of them, but the whale has a drill. Also, it seems the most..."different" out of the crowd. I would have never thought of a whale! That creativity was what sold me. Still all the art is good, and i would be happy to see any of them win.

I have to agree with tangramman; I love the Narwhal. While either of the others would be just fine, I can't see either of them suiting the concept quite so well: the abilities and stats clearly point to Cyzir's design.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think we should move the conversation on. It's a fucking art poll guys, how deep can we get on this shit lol

I'm going for MysteriousFellow's. I know it's the underdog, however:

1. It looks like something that is solid enough to damage, but no so that status would effect it.
2. It looks like it could pack a punch, and since when did Guts have anything to do with physical apperances? Guts = Bravery. Swellow is case in point. Does it look strong as Staraptor? No. But it's pokedex entry states that it and Taillow are very brave pokemon.
3. Auto Magic Coat. I can see an idea with MF's design, it could be redicted in the swirling clouds. A Buffalow? No. A Narwhal? No. They don't seem like they'd reflect status, they just seem like they'd run head first into it /burrow under to avoid it.

4. The people saying: 'Ground/Ghost' need to wake up, in my opinion. Sure, it could pass as a Ghost type, but it could also pass as a dark type as much, if not more, than the other two. It looks sinister. It looks threatening, the way it's hunched over. It looks EVIL, like a dust-snake. I mean, as a sprite, how on earth would you tell it's a Ghost-like pokemon, without the slightly fainter part near the hole? If it was roughly the same coulor/shade, it could pass Dark/Ground with no issues whatsoever, and there would be nothing in the design itself that screams 'Ghost' anymore than it screams 'Dark'.

5. In my opinion, it's the best design. Also the most implementable. Imagine getting the detail for the other two into a sprite X_X.

@ Omega: True, we just had a cloud. But since when were other CAPS valid arguments? And, compare the detail in say... Doug's design, to E-Vire, and Doug's has FAR more. Those intractate lines are far harder than the odd stripe. Legends always have great detail, because they are legends (And even then, Doug's is arguably more detailed than those two as well). I must admit, this holds true to Doug's Buffalo than to the other design.

Raikaria, i agree about the guts part, but the detail part, i think thats a boost for the others. just look at Electivire, Heatran, Dialga... they pretty much have the same amount of detail as those two. And now that I thought of it, we just had a guy made out of cloudy stuff.

KoA

is an Artist
Imagine getting the detail for the other two into a sprite X_X.
Try not to underestimate the CaP spriters. Most if not all the CaPs in the past were originally deemed "too complicated" for a sprite, yet the end results speak for themselves.

Although iirc, Fidgit gave the artists a bit of difficulty. I dunno, I wasn't around for that one.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I voted for Cyzir.
The Narwhale wasn't one of my favorites concept, and I think that the three submission here are really good, but no one is my favorite. I voted for Cyzir because it's design is more creative IMO, taking a fish/mammal and making it ground type [reminds me Drimogemon xD].
Doug design is ok, but I don't like the ring and the pale pattern. Mysteriousfellow has a badass design, totally cool, but artistically needs more work. Looks overdetailed with so many spikes.

EDIT: Thanks to all the people who voted for me. I enjoyed to be part of this Art Poll.

I voted for Cyzir's Narwhal. I think it fits the stat spread perfectly. It looks bulky enough to have 133 HP, dangerous enough for a 122 Atk, and the drill and spikes give me the feeling that it can pull of a 95 Spd as well.

The abilities can also work--the blubber around this thing can serve as a trigger for the AMC, and it also looks really headstrong, so Guts also fits.

Mysteriousfellow's design looks more zippy and sleek (and might have fit Admiral's stat spread well had it won). Doug's design was a really close second for me, but I think Cyzir's fits the concept a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)