CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 16 - Sprite Poll 1

Which sprites should be CAP 9's sprites?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted for Cartoons!.

His front sprite invokes personality in the style of the old RBY/GSC sprites, which no other set has done for mine.

(That, and his back sprite is pretty damn good.)

I like the poses/eyes/expressions of cartoons and Wyverii and KoA and aragonbird and chaos crippler.
cartoons\' back sprite was too big, the front sprite was good but the back was toooooo big
KoA\'s back sprite was too thin, but I really liked it
chaoscrippler was too cartoony, other wise very good, (look at it for Pete\'s sake)
not bad, just not sprity
Left with Aragornbird, KoA and Wyverii
Wyverii\'s sprite is evil
It wins

I liked Dougjustdoug. I mean, Its spinning like a fucking top! That seems pretty dynamic to me. I would have liked KOA's submission more if it wasn't so long, It looks like an eel. Cartoons sprite was epic, but kinda blocky and Dougs was better in my opinion.:happybrain:

Had to go with Chaos. Big, mean, and dynamic,and yet he still has that cartoony feeling that makes pokemon special. I liked several others almost as much but I really hope to see Chaos at least make it to the next round.

I voted aragornbird. The other entries, while good, didn't personify the speed, bulk, and power as well as aragornbird's. Although it appears Cartoons! might win, which I'd be fine with. Great entries everyone.

Clawed Nyasu! I liked the sprites of Cartoons!, KoA, and Clawed Nyasu. Really tough decision because each set of sprites was pretty cool. Cartoons!'s sprite was great with the bulk (122 HP) but I couldn't see it with Collosoil's speed. Meanwhile, KoA's depiction looked really fast (and has an awesome pose!) but it was too skinny for my taste. So Clawed Nyasu got my vote, because those sprites were somewhere in between. And a great improvement on the back sprite from the first draft!

I voted Cartoons! on this one. His back sprites are not the best, nor even in the top 3, but his front sprites are so good that I simply could not pass them up. The back sprites could have been Generation I Venusaur-level bad and those front sprites would have carried it. The idea of that smug, bulky monster having the speed and power suggested by the stat spread simply screams flavor at me. It's perfect.

What I don't get is why Doug's sprite is getting so little love. It is terrific and has maybe the best back sprites up there. Tons of dynamism and personality. The three current leaders are all great, but Doug should be right up there with them in my opinion. Nor am I a Doug fanboy by any stretch; the quality is simply that high.

I voted for aragornbird; His has, in my opinion, the best back sprite, and the front pose is pretty cool too. The shiny colors are amazing. It was a toss up between Cartoons! and aragornbird, but in the end I didn't like Cartoons! back sprite very much so I went with aragornbird.

Really tough decision between Cartoons and Chaoscrippler; Chaos's is more akin to HG/SS lighting style (at least how I look at it - the more vibrant, cartoonish colors), while Cartoons's simply has the 'you really wanna mess with me?' look that all Dark-types desire.

In the end, it was the shinies that made the difference; Chaos's shiny, while being just as vibrant as the normal one, simply delved too much into the Water qualities of the concept, while leaving out too much of the Dark and Ground elements in the colors chosen (I realize I probably should have posted about that in the topic before it was finalized, but it's too late now), while Cartoons's shiny is even Darker and Ground....ier than the main sprite; so that little differential, in the end, was what swayed me towards Cartoons's sprite....but very well done to the both of them.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for Chaosscrippler, but I thought Cartoons' and aragornbird's entries were outstanding also. All of them really captured the expressiveness and style of CAP 9, imo.

Great job to all the spriters though, as Smogon's resident whale enthusiast I approve heartily :)

I brought it down to Cartoons! and aragornbird. Those two looked the most realistic for a Pokemon game. However, I preferred the more prominent red eyes and shiny color scheme that aragornbird have, so I voted for him.

i had to narrow it down to 3 (XandZero2, Cartoons and clawed nyasu) the three of them were awsome in their own way but in the end i voted for XandZero2 becouse of its originality and it´s cool front sprite.

I'm really surprised that Nyasu's sprites aren't doing well. The front sprite is easily the best IMO, conveying more speed and power than the others due to the fact it manages a dynamic pose without featuring the ground in any way. That's also why I think its the most creative and unique of the lot.

From the way things are going, it looks like Cartoons is going to win. Which I'm fine with, cause the front sprite is a wonderful textbook example of conveying personality and attitude through pose. However, I can't help but find the back sprite makes Collosoil look fat and its features look squashed. But maybe that's just me.

Other sprites which stood out for me were Aragornbird's, DJD's and Wyverii's. Good job all!

Voted KoA due to the dynamic pose, but also due to the fact my actual favorite sprite has, unfortuanately, no chance of advancing. So, I'd like to give it up for pkmn-taicho321 for being my actual favorite, due to it looking very close to what I think I'd see in-game, as well as having both bulk and a dynamic pose.

Also, Wyverii and aragornbird have amazing sprites, too, for their own reasons.

Voted Wyverii. Mainly due to the awesome "grillz" on the shiny, but also the cheeky look that makes it seem less like a complete dickhead (no pun intended) and more like a sneaky rascal.

It was a tough choice, but I voted DougJustDoug. Colossoil is much faster than it looks; his and KoA's both show that, but I ultimately preferred Doug's.

Tough choice, but I went with Cartoons! since I love the bulky feel of it and the look on its face.

I also quite liked Aragornbird's though. By the looms of the poll so far, either of those two will win, and I'll be happy either way.

Some other good ones in there though; none of you should feel too unhappy about losing, the competition is tough.

Sad to see so little support for Doug's design. In my opinion, it is the best by far. The anatomy is perfect, the pose is dynamic, and the shading is stellar. Honestly, it looks better than most DDPt sprites. Really, I feel his is perfect for the design, and did the original art a great service by recreating so perfectly, while still having artistic freedom. Great work Doug, even if you don't proceed.

EDIT: Not to mention Doug's color pallet is perfect. Literally, perfect.

All of you guys did great, but I had to go for Wyverii's one (again). To be honest though, the high standard of all the entries means that I'll be happy with any entry to win. Kudos to you all.

aragornbird's one looks the best for me, although DougJustDoug's one is pretty awesome too.

Cartoons!'s one just... doesn't look Pokémon-like enough for me. Not only does it look a bit way too fat and sad, but its colors also don't seem lively enough... even for a Dark-type. I simply can't like it.

...and now that I think about it, Chaoscrippler is the one who better captured the true essence of that badass underground drill whale. But, well, it's too late now. All I can do now is root for that one!

YO CARTOONS!, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, AND I'MM'A LET YOU FINISH, BUT ARAGORNBIRD HAS THE BEST SPRITES OF ALL TIME!

YO CARTOONS!, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, AND I'MM'A LET YOU FINISH, BUT ARAGORNBIRD HAS THE BEST SPRITES OF ALL TIME!
.... I just did myself a lol

Anyway, I voted for Clawed Nyasu because it was the only sprite that stuck to the form of the original drawing, apart from Xand's, who's sprite I thought was sub-standard (sorry! :() Cartoons is cool, but a big too bulky. Aragornbird's seems to get much thinner as it enters the ground and I don't like the hulking pose, it like that the original art has Collosiol actually at ground level, not raised up. Doug's was cool, but it didn't look enough like the subject either, too triangley, I wish he has entered his first sprite.

Anyway, Clawed Nyasu shows an interesting pose, with the pokemon just how I'd picture it and without any overly exaggerated details. I colour is a bit off but that is no deterrent :)

Went with aragornbird. The pose on the front-sprite is great and the emotion and expression on both sets is fantastic. Especially on the backsprite, it isn't just a generic badass/angry expression, instead opting for more of a happy/psyched/pumped up route, and that, combined with its expressive eyes and mouth just really make it stand out to me.

However, all of the spriters did a great job, and I'll be happy no matter who ends up winning; great work guys.

It was a close one for me between Cartoons!, KoA, and DougJustDoug. In the end, I went with KoA because his was by far the most unique of all (even GF sprites don't have the same feel to them). It also fits the whole concept of Colossoil really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)