Catching Them All

What was your experience in trying to catch them all? Any tips, moments, regrets, or things like that could be posted here.

Eh, it seems like it could make an interesting topic with a bit more fleshing out. Discussing different experiences and preferred methods and all that.

I feel like I'm almost there, mostly I'm missing evolutions and a few preevolutions, I used the route maps (like this) to go route by route catching them all, the rest that I'm missing feels mostly like legwork (living pokedex control), I begun on X and it hasn't been that hard really, between X and ORAS I've been able to get all of the pokemones, and I hope to get the missing legends this year plus a few to trade. The goal is to finish the living pokedex before Sun & Moon comes out.

I mean it is in my opinion kinda pointless to catch them all. There are 721 Pokemon and you do not have access to a majority of them. So it is a huge time commitment to collect them all.

I mean it is in my opinion kinda pointless to catch them all. There are 721 Pokemon and you do not have access to a majority of them. So it is a huge time commitment to collect them all.
Agreed. Especially since by the time you actually get all of them, 100 more are introduced. If Pokemon ever stops making new Pokemon I will go about catching them all. Until then...

Maybe if you are starting fresh. I have done it every gen and it is really easy to keep it up. Took 2-4 hours for 6th gen -events and 8ish or so for 5th. Not to mention trading with the gts actually makes things stupid easy to get early generation. Just toss a bred starter up and pretty much any non-legend.

I rather find it a fun little thing to do. I'm kind of a completionist in games and I love the idea of progress; so every new page added to my 'dex just feels really nice to me. Plus, it's downright necessary for breeders due to the Oval and Shiny charms.
In addition, it's not exactly like you don't have access to a majority of them. Event Legendaries aside, XY + ORAS gives you access to every single Pokémon thus far, with each game still containing a very large amount even without the other.

It hasn't been that hard really, between XY and ORAS you can get them all, and in the last 2 years there has been enough events to get all the missing legendaries.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been doing this lately to have a complete living dex, in case Gamefreak gives us something REALLY nice for it in Sun and Moon!

However I figured it'd be boring to do it between XY and ORAS, since that's easy, so I decided to do it the hard way, and get Almost every Pokemon from their gen of origin!

Took about a month, but I'm actually rather close to achieving that goal! Currently, I have every single Pokemon from Hoenn, Shinoh, and Kalos. I'm only missing Meloetta from my gen 5 dex, and I have every single Pokemon in my VC save of Pokemon Yellow (which is actually my 18 year old Yellow save that I managed to get on my 3DS, long story). Since they might not allow a Mew transfer from RBY to Sun and Moon, I have a gen 3 Mew I got from Toy's R Us waiting in the wings!

The big mystery are the Johto mons. I'm waiting on a potential GSC for 3DS VC announcement, but if that doesn't happen soon... it might be time to do a Pokemon Colosseum runthrough, as the earliest gen I could get Johto mons would be 3! Getting Ho-Oh is gonna be hellish though, no idea what happened to my old one...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I never did.
I never even tried. I catch very few Pokemon on my journeys. I only catch Pokemon that I really liked. That's usually less than 10 per gen (not counting evolution)

Considering that I'm OCD, and prefer to only raise one evolutionary line if it's not in my Pokédex, and want all my Pokémon to be 5IV competitive, I guess I'm in no hurry to complete the Pokédex. Still, at 659, I'm as close as I've ever gotten.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I made a living dex in soulsilver during some very boring commutes to and from a summer job a few years ago. It is far easier to complete the dex now than it ever has been. Exp share and blissey bases make it ridiculously easy to train stuff up. Back in SS all I had was Mt Silver!

Well, I definitely managed to do it way back in Gen 1, thanks to buying both versions, and well, I sorta cheated my way with Gameshark in GSC, so lol, that doesn't count. In every other Gen, I haven't done it, though. I don't know how much it counts, but I -have- caught all the different Pokemon Toys in Rumble World for 3DS.

The first time I ever managed to complete the Dex was in DPP, I think. GTS trades helped a lot with things you don't have access to. Also have a full Dex in Gen 5 but didn't have time to commit to it in Gen 6.

Now that I've completed the National Dex once (in X), I don't really have any intention of doing it again unless I really want the Shiny Charm. Still, though, it was a fun challenge!

I did it in gens 1-4, didn't have the patience to do it in 5...but gen 6 and poke bank has made it so easy since you can literally swap then in, save, swap them out, that I have no excuse beyond laziness. I should work on it before November though

A combination of multiple games, 2 DSes, the wonders of Bulbapedia/Serebii, Pokemon Bank, and a physical checklist will show you the way.

I did it in Omega Ruby after transferring a number of pokemon there from previous gens. The hard part was finding enough evolutionary stones because some require Battle Subway grinding or are one-per-game. Dusk Stone was a particular hard-to-find. My last Pokemon was Basculin of all things. Considering I was primarily using Gen 6 to catch pokemon, Basculin took some time to fish.

I ended up catching them all to get the shiny charm. I've found that the easiest way to get random Pokemon is gts and wonder trade. On the gts, you can wait around and usually get a good deal within half an hour. Wonder trade also has its perks, them being that it takes no effort, and that it can be done almost absentmindedly. I don't really care that a lot of the Pokemon, especially legendarily, are probably hacked because I'm not huge into trading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)