Cats or Dogs?

Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 73 45.6%
  • Dogs

Votes: 87 54.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From a petless person's standpoint, cats are 1000x better considering they don't get their shit all over the streets/parks. It's medieval I tell you!

Rabbits :p.

But seriously, probably dogs. I love both (I don't have a cat but I did volunteer work with them and maintained a feral cat colony), but I'm an outdoorsy kind of person who loves to go hiking so dogs win there :p.

I have an awesome cat right now, but in the future I'm totally getting a dachshund, either regular or mini. They are hilarious. The biggest breed I'd probably consider is airdales, I love them too.

I am such an animal freak I'm probably gonna need to buy a farm just to be satisfied.
Dachshunds are pains in the ass, I hope you know :p. I have a five-year-old standard smooth-haired and he's one of the most difficult animals I have ever kept, hahaha (and I've kept my share of exotics!).

They're a lot of fun and quite adorable--but stubborn as hell and hard to train.

mans best friend. <DOGS>
If you are a girl feel free to vote cat.
This is not sexism, this is just introducing a whole new toll, which i can't be asked to make.

I think cats and dogs fit nicely into different categories depending on what you want out of pet ownership. Dogs take more care in terms of walks, food, picking up after them, teaching them to not bark/jump on furniture if you need that, cleaning up there shedding, etc. Cats also shed and need to be fed, etc., but they require much less day to day activity to keep them happy. Cats give you less in return in regards to social aspects, but take less care. Dogs are more loyal and visible but require more care.

My family owned 2 cats and 2 dogs during my middle school and high school years. Now that I am off in college my parents have cut it down to 2 dogs and 1 cat, and I am guessing they will settle on 1 cat, 1 dog. It is fun to have both around if you can find the right kinds of dogs and cats that will live with each other. Male Tabby Cats are quite the characters - we consider ours the third dog as a joke frequently (he is smarter than the dogs for sure). They seem to be one of those cats that are more outgoing and fun to deal with. He doesn't mind the dogs and even has a little bit of his own attitude and plays games with the dogs sometimes.

In the end I like dogs better. I kind of dislike the dogs we have at home (Cocker Spaniels), but they are just fine in the end. I would rather have one bigger dog like a typical Labrador or Golden Retriever, but the two cocker spaniels aren't bad lap dogs for cold Minnesota winter nights! The dogs just give you more back if you give them the required attention.

Dogs ftw

I love you Turnips <3

however cats are still cool, I won't be trippin
my 19 year-old cat died last month, lol

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like both, but I am partial to cats. Funny thing is, the reason I like them is the same reason alot of people hate them - because they're independent. I love my cat because she clearly has chosen me over everyone else, and she isn't an attention slut like alot of dogs are. It may sound selfish, but sometimes it's nice to have a pet that you know is all yours. To me, there is nothing more soothing than a purring cat next to you when you're feeling down or sick or upset. And really, cats aren't the hateful bitches that people make them out to be. They can be every bit as loving as dogs, they just won't do tricks for you and play fetch (although my cat does XD).

And some of you people are being far too closed-minded about cats. Most of what you're saying is just generalization, and based on what you've heard rather than actual experience owning one. Dogs can be lazy and sleep all day (like my dad's wife's dog) just as much as cats can. Also, if you want a testament to cat loyalty, try my cat. If the dog or the other cat are being aggressive toward me in any way, my cat will run from wherever she is and get between us. If I am not awake and out of bed by 6 AM on weekdays for work, my cat will climb all over me until I am. When I leave the house and back out of the driveway, I can always see my cat in the window, watching me drive away and meowing. The second I step back in that door after being gone a while, my cat will be right there meowing and purring because she's happy to see me. She's 11 years old and still playful as a kitten, and she can sense my moods. She also comes when I call her, and sleeps at the foot of my bed every night.

So before you draw conclusions about cats, try owning one first. I live with both, I like both, but I definitely prefer cats.

I like dogs better. I have a cat and a dog, however.

The dog likes people. The cat is more independent. The cat is kindof picky, but the dog will eat anything.

The dog is better overall even though he is half crazy, and he poops on the floor, unlike la gato.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dogs are always there after a hard day to cheer you up, while cats are more independent and don't need you as much. Dogs need love and will try to cheer you up when you're glum in the best ways. So dogs get my vote!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dogs taste better. (I've actually tried Dog before. It's very good... although I won't be able to eat one again)

Serious Answer: I like cats better mostly because dogs then to randomly stick to you and pounce on you.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have to go with dogs here.

Dogs have a wide variety of personalities and quirks depending on the breed where cats' behaviors are so uniform they have their own adjective.

Dogs are also useful in many, many more ways than cats. They have Beagles that sniff out contraband at airports and we have a local story of Border Collies extrication Canada Geese (aka the plague) from a local pond because if their herding instinct. Never mind Police K-9 units.

My dog is a Beagle and we got him from the shelter about 9 years ago. The shelter said he was 3 but when we went to the vet we found out he was 9 months. Subsequently he would chew on everything. To this day he's very stubborn and willful, just like everyone else in the family. Fits right in.

Cats, I've found them to always be much more intelligent, as well as easier to take care of. They are also in my opinion the cutest animals on the planet. Also, I don't know about the cats the above poster has met, but all of my cats always had HUGE differences in personalities, each one interesting and quirky in their own way. Almost every dog I've dealt with was stupid and obnoxious. Not that I don't like dogs, because I do like certain kinds, Huskies especially.

you really can't say that cats are smart and dogs are dumb or vice versa. the intelligence depends largely on the breed of the animal.

also, i should probably explain my dislike of cats better haha. i've had 6 cats and 9 dogs so far and out of the 6 cats only one of them was actually a pleasure to be around. he had nearly the same personality as waterbombs. out of the 9 dogs i have had every single one was amazing, some were dumb some were smart but they all were friendly and lovable and each was a different breed. i guess it is just a lot harder to find a great cat due to their inherent nature of independence.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I was 5, two of my friends cats attacked me, scratched my face till they made me bloody, and I cried. I've disliked cats every since. Dogs are superior anyway, they are cuter.

To this day he's very stubborn and willful, just like everyone else in the family. Fits right in.
hahaha :)

I personally would love to get a scruffy little dog, although I have too many asian friends to consider getting one.

Well instead of just saying dogs.

I shall reinforce my statement, with reasonings that have allowed me to come to my conclusion.
1) I'm a social person, dogs are social and are always keen for your company. They are always up for a pat or a play and would never turn down a chance to be with you. He's even watching me write at this very moment.
2) Which leads me to my second point, loyalty. If you treat your canine friend well, he would never leave you. Period. Cat's do whatever the fuck they want. They are fickle creatures and would leave you in a heartbeat for an owner they saw as 'better'.
3) Physicality. Dogs love running and sports, which is handy, as so do I. You can't take your cat for a run, they'd piss on your face in disgust at such an act. But a dog would be happy. And I took pride in the achievement of being able to run further than my dog. Though he can ALWAYS dominate me in sprints.
4) The whole 'walk up to you and point your but at you' thing. Makes me want to kick you, you stupid cat. I don't want to see your fucking ring piece.

My final point, almost all the time, a domestic cat would get ownt by a domestic dog in a fight. Which proves beyond any doubt that dogs are better.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My final point, almost all the time, a domestic cat would get ownt by a domestic dog in a fight. Which proves beyond any doubt that dogs are better.
It would seem that way until you see how deadly a cornered cat is.

Anyway, I like cats better, coming from someone who has both. I don't view independence as a bad thing, it tends to mean cats think for themselves more (not to say that dogs can't, just not as often). Also, cats can purr, which to me is probably the most relaxing sound in the world.

It would seem that way until you see how deadly a cornered cat is.

Anyway, I like cats better, coming from someone who has both. I don't view independence as a bad thing, it tends to mean cats think for themselves more (not to say that dogs can't, just not as often). Also, cats can purr, which to me is probably the most relaxing sound in the world.

Oh trust me I know. My ex-girlfriend's family owned 9 cats. Eight of which disliked me and would take every opportunity to try to assassinate me. The other one, liked me...too much.. Haha.

But in my experience, I have owned both cats and dogs. And worked at my local SPCA for a year, and even previously abused dogs have been so much more appealing and 'nice' for lack of better word.

Cats. I love them, they're such cute creatures ^_^.

I don't like dogs so much; I don't like the licking, nor the fact it can be dangerous (biting).

Cats. I love them, they're such cute creatures ^_^.

I don't like dogs so much; I don't like the licking, nor the fact it can be dangerous (biting).
Dogs are purely seen as dangerous because of their size. Cats and small dogs can be vicious but no body cares because they can't really do much but scratch you.

If domestic cats were larger, they'd be just as, or more dangerous than dogs. I mean the amount of 'wild' cats is far greater than 'wild' dogs.
Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Bobcats, Leopards, Cheetahs, Mountain Lions/Cougars vs Hyenas (lol), Dingos and Wolves. No comparison there.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dogs are purely seen as dangerous because of their size. Cats and small dogs can be vicious but no body cares because they can't really do much but scratch you.

If domestic cats were larger, they'd be just as, or more dangerous than dogs. I mean the amount of 'wild' cats is far greater than 'wild' dogs.
Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Bobcats, Leopards, Cheetahs, Mountain Lions/Cougars vs Hyenas (lol), Dingos and Wolves. No comparison there.
If you get either mad, they can really do serious damage, so really it's a tie on that case.

If you get either mad, they can really do serious damage, so really it's a tie on that case.
I hate to disagree. But when's the last time someone was killed, or seriously mauled by a domestic cat? If they were dog sized, sure they could. But not when they are like below knee height.

Well, I'm certainly not talking about the 'big cats' like tigers. I'm talking about regular domestic felines. Also, many people have none-'small' dogs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)