XY OU Cham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am!

Cham, Bam, Thank You Ma'am!
Hi guys, flargananddingle here with my first ever RMT! I've spent the better part of 1700 posts breeding and trading over in the wifi forum, but with the calm before the ORAS storm, I've been spending a little more time training up all those shiny pokemon to build a team! Because I am from wifi (…and we do like our aesthetics) I’ll be including the type of ball the pokemon is in as well….feel free to ignore that though . :) A HUGE thank you to -=Blu=- whose awesome forum helper aided in making this possible. It can be found HERE. It's not yet optimized for RMTs but was a huge help in doing the layout.
I've been playing Pokemon for 18 years now kill me. I started when Nintendo sent out a VHS tape advertising this ridiculous new anime and game they were bringing to America.
Under the guise of "sharing with my sister", I talked my mom into buying me Blue, and never looked back.
I got into the competitive aspect sometime in Gen4, watching videos of MTGXerxes and TheKillerNacho in the bathroom at work. I soon found Smogon and spent hours reading the analyses seriously kill me. I have been a member ever since. I spent about 3 years lurking, never actually having the internet at my ready disposal to learn to RNG or battle online, but X and Y changed all that.
The ease of trading and battling has definitely changed things since I was a 10 year old imagining I was a pokemon trainer (and theorizing how I could capture and train birds and snakes and shit).

This team was actually my first foray into PokemonShowdown! as I normally spend my time playing randoms on wifi. However, I rarely get time to myself to actually be on a PC so I wanted to limit myself to a team that I could not only use on PS but also that I could obtain in game. As a result, the ev spreads may not be optimized (going from a lvl 100 meta to lvl 50).
On PS this team took me up to ~1400 before I hit a rough spot and went 0-4. Since then it's had about an 80% win percentage.
On WiFi it's 3-0 (versus smogon competition...can't count those passersby ;P).
The premise of the team is using a slow core of volt-turners with good synergy (Scizor, Landorus-T, Rotom-W) to keep offensive pressure on opposing teams. I keep them on the slow side to allow Medicham to come in free and mega evolve or get some chip damage with fake out. Thundurus is there for para support and also that fast taunt; which helps keep hazards off the field. Azumarril is there to give me a safe switch in on dragons as well as general knock off spam.

Now on to the team!*Please note all calcs are given for a lvl 50 matchup*

Species: Medicham
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Sp
Move 1: Fake Out
Move 2: Ice Punch
Move 3: High Jump Kick
Move 4: Zen Headbutt
Special Thanks to TyVip for Moon Ball Meditite!​
Medicham is really the whole reason I made this team..(shiny in moonball...had to use it). It really hits like a truck. High Jump kick and Zen Headbutt are obvious STAB choices. Ice punch is there as generally (at least on wifi) ice is better for coverage than fire. I've toyed around with using fire punch, but never actually tested it as HJK generally wrecks the things it's most useful for (ferro, scizor) and the lack of ice punch leaves me dragon bait.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 116 Def Mega Scizor: 127-151 (72.1 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fire Punch vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 18-22 (9.3 - 11.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 150-178 (77.7 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Fake out is really the most important move on the set . With all the switching going on, Medicham can generally come in free, and either mega evolve and fake out or fake out right away (if it's already mega). The hit and run style really suits the team, and as far as "chip damage" is concerned;
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 28-33 (17.8 - 21%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 132-156 (84 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see, a straight up HJK doesn't guarantee the KO and leaves me open to burn. Unless the Rotom is scarfed (or I get one of those lucky misses), Medicham wins this 10/10

is not too shabby. Fake out turns A LOT of 2HKOS in OHKOS, and is generally a great utility move considering the opposing poke may have already eaten a volt switch or banded u turn. It's also the best thing I can do if I'm absolutely forced to bring cham in on a weakened Talonflame (or faster flying type in general).

Species: Thundurus
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Timid
EVS: 4Def/ 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Sp
Move 1: Hidden Power Ice
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Taunt
Move 4: Thunder Wave
Special Thanks to EnGarde for Shiny Thundurus!​
Thundurus is the latest addition to the team. Originally this was a Klefki but it really slowed down the pace as, once the most critical threat was paralyzed, Klefki just basically placed spikes until it died (as I don't have a lot of bulk for hard switches, this takes away most of my initiative and momentum). So on the advice of Slashari, I gave Thundy a try. I have to say, prankster T-wave and Taunt are invaluable to this team.
Thundurus is generally my lead if I see a stealth rock setter who can't beat it outright (which is a fair few in spite of it's frailty). This is where taunt is so important as it's my only method of hazard control (currently). Some rock setters who think they scare me out (lookin at you Garchomp and Landorus), try to take advantage and go for the rocks to eat a Hidden Power Ice and, unless they're sashed, that's the end of their day.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 203-239 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
*I know this may not be the most common Garchomp set, but I chose it to show the power vs a bulkier spread*
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 146-172 (67.9 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Even full special defensive investment isn't enough to save it from the second hit if it decides to set up rocks.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 208-250 (106.1 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yeah....it's amazing that people try to switch this thing in predicting a t bolt. Unless it's scarfed, it's dying the next turn anyway.

Because T-wave is so important to Medicham the team I NEED to preserve Thundurus if my opponent has any flying type that is naturally faster, or tends to wear a scarf. It can mean the difference between a win and a loss if I can just get them paralyzed.
Thunderbolt is there purely for power. I've thought about running volt switch, but a fast turn out can leave me way to open to attack. Also, if I don't lead with Thundurus, and the opponent has already seen the volt turn style of the team, it makes them assume that Thundurus is also carrying a switch out move which can be really important to messing up their decision making.

Species: Landorus-T
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Hp/4 Atk/ 252 Def
Move 1: Knock Off
Move 2: Stealth Rock
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: U-turn
Special Thanks to Widdly_Scuds for Landorus!​
Landorus-T is a BEAST of a pivot. Because of the offensive nature of the team, it's very possible that when you see this in team preview you think it's running a more offensive set. Really, though, this set is all about utility. I sacrifice a lot of power willingly, because the bulk really is that good
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 64-76 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
This is why Landorus is always my first switch in to Talonflame
4 Atk Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 67-79 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
I realize the Stone Edge is an OHKO, even without real attack investment, but the utility of knock off is just astounding as once Talonflame gets to -1, it's probably switching out anyway. And if it doesn't, and loses it's band
-1 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 42-51 (21.4 - 26%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 34-40 (17.3 - 20.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

This one just because I used to play a lot of stall and this dick was a major pain.

Obvious rocks are obvious, and if the opponent is using anything that I just can't risk throwing Thundurus too, Lando is my lead.
lando-rus.jpg

Landorus forms the first part of my slow turn core. He's not overwhelmingly slow, so he still poses a threat to a lot of Pokemon, but in such an offensively geared meta, he's generally outsped by a lot of the physical attackers he's switching in on.

Species: Rotom
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 Hp/212 Sp Def/ 44 Sp
Move 1: Volt Switch
Move 2: Hydro Pump
Move 3: Will-O-Wisp
Move 4: Pain Split
Special Thanks to mostthe3rd for Rotom!​
Rotom-W. This thing has been done to death...But it's just so good. I went with a specially defensive spread cuz...wynaut? I lose the ability to counter Talonflame but I gain a VERY handy switch in to Togekiss which, with Landorus taking care of the physical side is a nice compliment. EVs are pretty self explanatory. 44 speed because the analysis said so to outspeed jolly azumarril seriously who uses that.
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 98-116 (62.4 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This is probably the most important calc. Since I run STAB on Medicham, Venusaur doesn't really worry me all that much.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 50-59 (31.8 - 37.5%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
I never see Keldeo, but unless it locks itself into sacred sword (specs obviously) this is the best it can do.
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 212+ SpD Rotom-W: 154-182 (98 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
That doesn't do me a whole hell of a lot of good but that 12.5% chance means this could happen (in some realm of existence....)
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 84-102 (45.4 - 55.1%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Fake Out vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 39-46 (21 - 24.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

yeah if I let it get a tail glow up I'm mostly boned...that's why Rotom has 5 teammates right? >_<

Pain split is great because people like to switch nice healthy things in on Rotom thinking 1) it's going to try to burn me or 2) a special wall will stop it cold. Pain split let's me take advantage of that, then, either 1) burn them or 2) volt switch out because they stop me cold (they're not too far off...)
WOW is kind of necessary on Rotom, especially the specially defensive set. It allows it to check some of the same things the Bold version checks (things like Azumarril for example) that it may not be as sturdy against due to it's ev spread. Like Thundurus, the hit and run nature of the team kind of leads people to believe all Rotom will be doing is volt switching out which sometimes leads them to falsely predict and bring in a ground type...And I can't think of a ground type who likes to be burned shutup special variants of landorus...
Hydro pump is there because it has to be. Let's just say for power.
Finally of course is volt switch. Most things that threaten Rotom are at least decently handled by Scizor, so this is probably the most important switching move on the team. PEOPLE LOVE TO TRY TO POISON THIS THING!

Species: Azumarill
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 240 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 16 Sp Def
Move 1: Aqua Jet
Move 2: Play Rough
Move 3: Waterfall
Move 4: Knock Off
Special Thanks to mostthe3rd for Shiny Azumarril!​
Azumarril is hands down the cutest member of the team. But sweet baby Jesus does it pack a punch. Not only does it combine the utility of knock off with priority, but it also gives me something to throw in front of dragons with very little fear.
Knock off is there (again) for utility. This thing forces so many switches it's nuts. It's very nice to hit something coming in with it, or if whatever I'm up against stays...it deals MASSIVE damage with the Huge Power boost.
Play Rough is the obligitory fairy type STAB. The accuracy can be an issue but, looking at the rest of the team, it seems the overall theme is MOAR POWER>accuracy. Having this fairy move is one of the reasons I've contemplated switching to fire punch on Cham. With this and Thundurus's HP Ice, dragons aren't generally a huge threat.
Waterfall is a nice and powerful STAB move, and also has a handy flinch rate for extra hax if Thundurus has managed to paralyze something.
The priority on the set, Aqua Jet, is the real star of the show. Again, not just for the damage or the +1 priority. Opponents with a weakened mon on the field HAVE to respect the threat of priority and, if it's their wincon need to switch out, allowing a free knock off on the incoming poke.
I went with assault vest to bolster the team defensively. It's really nice for eating up Rotom volt switches when an opponent thinks they've pressured me into switching out, and then smacking their switch in hard.
252+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 72-86 (40.6 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Rotom-W: 82-97 (52.2 - 61.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 120-143 (67.7 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 90-107 (58.4 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (following it up with an aquajet is nearly a guaranteed KO)
Just an illustration of threats that AV Azu can handle that would wipe the floor with any other variant. It's not ideal to leave him in here...but if I absolutely have to, it's nice to I can

Species: Scizor
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 248 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 Sp Def
Move 1: Knock Off
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Bullet Punch
Move 4: U-turn
Special Thanks to -=Blu=- for Scizor!​
Banded Scizor. A staple. A classic. A powerhouse. This is the final member of the slow turn core. Nothing about this set is ground breaking, but Scizor certainly does his job.
The power of technician boosted banded bullet punch makes this the strongest priority attack on the team. If the opponent brings in a fairy type, this is what I'm switching out to just about every time. Using one of the other members of the core can hopefully bring scizor in safely, and the bullet punch is just pure power.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 102-120 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 74-90 (36.6 - 44.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

These calcs are assuming 1) Clefable is up against scizor completely healthy and 2) it used its first turn to set up a Cosmic Power. If it comes in and moonblasts thinking to hit something coming in, it's already lost.

Superpower is there for Ferro and (most importantly) Magnezone. Because of it's redundancy (Re: Medicham), I've been thinking about putting defog here. Don't flame me for it, the reason it's still superpower is because I'm aware of the risks. I'll discuss that a little more below.
Knock Off...nothing new.
And U-Turn. This hurts a surprising amount. Like really, using it in battle and just seeing it shred teams is shocking. With such a lack of speed scizor is generally hitting something and allowing a teammate to come in scott free. This is generally a great time to bring in Rotom to catch a burn or a fire type attack trying to prey on scizor's less than stellar (but still good) sp def.

So...That's the team! I know it's not ground breaking or earth shattering, but I'd like to get some input on it. In general I don't want to break up too much of the synergy, and I don't want to change the overall hit and run high pressure feel. That being said, here are some key issues I need to address;
  • HAZARDS. The team doesn't have a real weakness to them in terms of typing. Only 1 stealth rock weak, 3 immune to spikes, 4 immune to t spikes. But the team does A LOT of switching, and while I don't think I can blame a loss on it so far it is still a major concern for me.
As stated earlier, I've thought about sticking defog on scizor. I hate to take away any of the power of choice band, and a life orb seems like I would almost be better leaving the hazards up. Another option I've toyed with (but was talked out of) is using a Togekiss in place of Thundurus. In theory, it could still give me para support and defog, and if it found the time even toss out a heal bell occassionally.
  • MegaZard Y- I haven't faced an x yet, but my team is more geared towards stopping physical attackers. This thing though...it comes in, and something dies. Rotom can hit it with a volt switch, but whatever comes in next is going to get wrecked.
I'm honestly open to suggestions here. Unless it leads off vs Thundurus, I have nothing to outspeed it, and very little to hit it supereffectively (effin sun).

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Frostbite (Medicham) (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power

Thanks for your time guys! See you in battle!

Edit: Here is my first (decent) battle with Jirachee 's latias suggestion http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-168584903

Last edited:

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Interesting team, seeing as it has no rates yet, I'll give it a shot.

Like you said yourself, hazards are probably your biggest issue. Your team gives most common SR users opportunities to set up, you have multiple Pokemon that hate it, and no way to remove it. I also think your team is pretty weak to Electric types. Your only Electric resist, Landorus-T, gets owned by the 3 most common Electrics: Thundurus and Mega Manectric will OHKO with HP Ice, and Rotom-W counters it. Everything else on your team kinda hates taking Electric moves so yeah... not good.

I think replacing your own Rotom-W with a Defog Latias would help you a lot. Not only does it give you a very reliable hazards remover, but also a way to switch into Electrics. I don't think you need Rotom-W all that much given that you have another Water and another Electric, and Landorus-T should be able to take on most Talonflames with your current spread.

This also helps you beat Mega Venusaur which I think is kind of a huge threat for your team at the moment. The offensive set is very hard for you to switch into and you only have 1 Pokemon that can really kill it which is Medicham.

Not much to say otherwise... team looks nice! Here's the Latias set:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Interesting team, seeing as it has no rates yet, I'll give it a shot.

Like you said yourself, hazards are probably your biggest issue. Your team gives most common SR users opportunities to set up, you have multiple Pokemon that hate it, and no way to remove it. I also think your team is pretty weak to Electric types. Your only Electric resist, Landorus-T, gets owned by the 3 most common Electrics: Thundurus and Mega Manectric will OHKO with HP Ice, and Rotom-W counters it. Everything else on your team kinda hates taking Electric moves so yeah... not good.

I think replacing your own Rotom-W with a Defog Latias would help you a lot. Not only does it give you a very reliable hazards remover, but also a way to switch into Electrics. I don't think you need Rotom-W all that much given that you have another Water and another Electric, and Landorus-T should be able to take on most Talonflames with your current spread.

This also helps you beat Mega Venusaur which I think is kind of a huge threat for your team at the moment. The offensive set is very hard for you to switch into and you only have 1 Pokemon that can really kill it which is Medicham.

Not much to say otherwise... team looks nice! Here's the Latias set:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover
I was actually thinking about the Manectric issue today at work lol. It bombs Scizor, Thundurus, Landorus, Azumarril, and is too strong and fast for Cham and can't be paralyzed. Soooo yeah...I only played against one on PS and got around it with some prediction, but can probably attribute that to being lower on the ladder.
I like the idea of Latias and will definitely give her a shot! I've always used her more defensively so of course I have Calm and Bold lying around.
The only thing that concerns me then is Hp Fire Greninja who can basically outspeed and one shot everything bar Azumarril (and possibly Medicham...I'd need to run calcs). I know it's not listed in the RMT, but Calm Rotom is basically a dead stop to it.
Also, I haven't found Venusaur to be too much of a problem for the team(though again, probably lower ladder stuff), as it's usually coming in (predictably) on Rotom which gives me a free switch into Cham.
I'll definitely let you know how Latias works out. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)