ORAS OU Chansey Cloud Offense (1925 Elo, Rank #11)

Introduction
Hey, Dead On Arrival here. I am relatively new to the smogon forums, with this being my first RMT. Although many of you probably haven't spoke to me before, you may remember me through this team or from the ladder. Today, I am going to be showing you my Mega Altaria team which some of you may find intriguing.

Teambuilding

I started with the defensive core of Skamory and Chansey. This gave me access to stealth rocks and spikes. Skarmory acts
as a p/hazer
which enables me to shuffle teams and prevent a sweep.

At this point, i added mega altaria which acted as secondary wall after skarmory. Altaria actually covers a lot of the

weaknesses of the skarmory-chansey core. Magnezone is there because i hardly carry hazard removal on any of my teams.
Magnezone helps me eliminate steel walls quickly and allows altarnia to set up for a sweep.

I added choice band azumarill because i needed a hard hitter to get past pokemon with the unaware ability. Additionally,

water priority is really useful for this team and azumarill hits heatran which can be a nuisance for me at times. Tyranitar
was added as a talonflame counter and it also pursuit traps gengar, who can be annoying for my duo fairies.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now onto the team:

Cloud (Altaria-Mega) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Heal Bell
For my first pokemon, i am running the standard DDD set Altaria set. Cloud acts as a cleric to my team and allows me to set up on passive mons. Also, Altaria is my primary switch in to keldeo and with heal bell i am able to heal off any scald burns. The defensive bulk allows altaria to handle Charizard X/Mega Heracross as well and it's defensive typing allows it to take any strong fire or fighting attacks that skarmory can't normally handle. Usually, I like to paralyze a bulky set up mon and send in altaria to set up.

Magna (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Next is Magna, my Magnezone. With scarf, it is able to outspeed base 100 speed pokemon as well as pokemon such as thundurus and serperior. Often, once my chansey weakens thundurus or sererior enough, i send magna in to finish the job. Volturn helps me gain better momentum during the battles and enables me to volturn in the face of mega diancie who would fear the flash cannon. Hidden power fire is self explanatory as it eliminates steel walls which would otherwise be annoying for me.

Andromeda (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
Chansey is an excellent rock setter. With it's bulk it is easily able to find an opportunity to set up rocks early in a game. The max defensive is there to help me take boosted physical attacks, such from charizard, and lets me get a thunder wave off. Softboil and Seisemic Toss are pretty much self explanatory.

BladePrincess (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Roar

Skarmory is this team's p/hazer and shuffler. It carries spikes in addition to the stealth rocks on my chansey to maximize hazard damage. Brave Bird is there to hit Keldeo switch in's and allows skarmory to deal significant damage to mega heracross along with breloom who would often try to set up. Roar is just there over whirlwind because I just always happen to click on it first, lol. I also got used to its animation. Whirlwind is probably the better choice but it hardly changes anything.

Dead Rabbit (Azumarill) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
Being named after one of my alts, I'm glad that azumarill doesn't look annoying unlike, his fairy type cousin, clefable. Jokes aside, Azumarill has been very beneficial to my team and hits very hard with a choice band. It can check and sometimes switch into keldeo if altaria is low on health. Aqua jets allows it to finish off weakened pokemon and pairs well wtih hazard damage. Waterfall is a strong stab move that allows me to hit heatran and landorus-T. Play Rough 2hko's unaware quagsire and celfable. Knock off is there to hit those unsuspecting jirachi and rotom switch in's. Also, knock off is helpful to hit pokemon such as reuniculus or slowbro which can be bothersome if they get to set up.

Abyss (Tyranitar) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
With spikes and stealth rocks up, I use the hazards as bait to lure out common spinners and defoggers such as latios/latias and starmie. With AV, Abyss (tyranitar) can switch into life orb draco meteors without any worries. Also, in the sand, Assault vest allows tyranitar to live a focus blast from life orb gengar and alakazam after stealth rocks damage. Because of this, it can proceed to hit them with pursuit. Tyranitar is my check against talonflame and it is my backbone against charizard X if altaria is low on health. Max attack adamant allows Abyss to do more than half to a bulky starmie that refuses to switch out with pursuit. I would also like to add that AV tyranitar is a reliable switch-in to magma storm heatran. Also, assault vest allows Abyss to reliably switch onto latios, draco meteor depletes a good portion of scarf tar's health even in the sand. This enables me to pursuit kill it early in the game. Latios can be problematic late game given that there are enough hazards on my side or if chansey is weakened.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Threats

Bisharp
This thing can be annoying to my team, but i wear it down with hazards and whirlwind/roar. I also paralyze it if given the opportunity.

Mega Metagross
My answer to this is wearing it down slowly with hazards and hitting it with a volt switch from time to time with magnezone.

Hoopa-U
It is hard for me to counter this without knowing it's item. I usually try to paralyze it and it if is choiced, I pursuit trap it with tyranitar. Also, azumarill can take advantage of its defensive drops after a hyper space fury and hit it with aqua jet.

Mega Medicham
Lol, seeing this makes me what to forfeit. Try to paralyze it because they always switch it in on chansey. Also, Cloud (altaria) can take a hit or set up beforehand and get rid of this thing.

Amoonguss
Walls my team, lol. Try to pursuit trap it when its health is low, set up hazards and knock it off on the switch in with azumarill.
mega sableye
Just kidding. It loses to my duo fairies.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-350939509
The match in which i achieved my peak.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-350652242
Against Mega Diancie Balance (BlackOblivion)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-348864320
Against Rain Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-347820714
Against Mega Sableye Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-342352483
Against Volturn Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-341756451
Against Shedinja Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-337118713
Against Doctor Hiluluk/Evanston, I've played against this guy a couple of times.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-335457389
Close match against Wish Killer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333481652
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-344329347
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330964075

Games where I bluff the scarf on tyranitar.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-338284683
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-335705062
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-332463044

Duo fairies makes unprepared sableye stall player whine. / Magnezone + fairies dismantles stall.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-344811559
Against Bulky Zard Team

Conclusion
Strategy: Paralyze everything. Just kidding.
Thank you for reading/ rating my team, it can be fun to use. Also, I want to give my thanks to vaprn/you're dead wrong for just for being her, lol.

Proof of Peak: http://i.imgur.com/05jnWga.png
Pastebin Of Team:
http://pastebin.com/EXdDZxH4

Last edited:
small nitpick, Altaria's nature should be Impish instead of Bold as a Bold nature lowers your attack instead of your special attack

Hi there! n.n

Cool team you have here. Haven't seen any Mega Altaria teams for a while so pretty happy to see this thing has some usage. :]

Ok I'm just gonna be blunt with you. AV Tyranitar is a bad set. It doesn't really do anything, (rather than taking special hits but you have chansey. Even tho you didnt invest in sp def it can still take hits like a boss.) Land it is outclassed by Scarf Tyranitar or any other variant of Tyranitar. Latios's Dracos can be taken by Chansey and Even your Altaria once it has mega evovled. Which is why i would suggest you put Hippowdon > AV Tyranitar. This can function pretty much what you wanted AV Tyranitar to do. While not a counter to Talonflame, it can still deal with it and also take on Gengar. (Tyranitar wouldn't like a life orb focus blast.) Also since you already have a rocker you can afford to put Whirlwind for the Stealth Rock slot. This functions perfectly since you can even have more phazing and can just annoy your opponent and pressure them with the hazzards you set up.

Also one thing, Mega Metagross doesn't seem to be a scary threat, same with Amoongus. Mainly because you have skarmory who can freely set up spikes on it and phase it if the opponet gets a boost in attack. Amoongus gets brave birded.

Here are some calcs on a brave bird against a standard Amoongus:
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 218-260 (50.4 - 60.1%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Here is a calc from Max Defense Max Hp Amoongus:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 194-230 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
and rocks are gonna be pretty much up early game, so you get a nice 2hko. Your faster as well.
Hp Fire? Pffft. Look at this:

0 SpA Amoonguss Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 102-120 (30.5 - 35.9%) -- 41% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
That does shit. :3
Anyway thats basically it. You have a pretty solid team and I'm amazed you only joined 4 days ago and got to #11. Props to you my fren :3

Hippo Set:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Hi there! n.n

Cool team you have here. Haven't seen any Mega Altaria teams for a while so pretty happy to see this thing has some usage. :]

Ok I'm just gonna be blunt with you. AV Tyranitar is a bad set. It doesn't really do anything, (rather than taking special hits but you have chansey. Even tho you didnt invest in sp def it can still take hits like a boss.) Land it is outclassed by Scarf Tyranitar or any other variant of Tyranitar. Latios's Dracos can be taken by Chansey and Even your Altaria once it has mega evovled. Which is why i would suggest you put Hippowdon > AV Tyranitar. This can function pretty much what you wanted AV Tyranitar to do. While not a counter to Talonflame, it can still deal with it and also take on Gengar. (Tyranitar wouldn't like a life orb focus blast.) Also since you already have a rocker you can afford to put Whirlwind for the Stealth Rock slot. This functions perfectly since you can even have more phazing and can just annoy your opponent and pressure them with the hazzards you set up.

Also one thing, Mega Metagross doesn't seem to be a scary threat, same with Amoongus. Mainly because you have skarmory who can freely set up spikes on it and phase it if the opponet gets a boost in attack. Amoongus gets brave birded.

Here are some calcs on a brave bird against a standard Amoongus:
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 218-260 (50.4 - 60.1%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Here is a calc from Max Defense Max Hp Amoongus:

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 194-230 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
and rocks are gonna be pretty much up early game, so you get a nice 2hko. Your faster as well.
Hp Fire? Pffft. Look at this:

0 SpA Amoonguss Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 102-120 (30.5 - 35.9%) -- 41% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
That does shit. :3
Anyway thats basically it. You have a pretty solid team and I'm amazed you only joined 4 days ago and got to #11. Props to you my fren :3

Hippo Set:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 307-364 (75.9 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 307-364 (75.9 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 317-374 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 317-374 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

AV tyranitar has a good chance of living even after SR damage. It doesn't take it well, but the purpose of it is just to get the gengar or the defogger down. Also, tyranitar is my primary talonflame check, as you said before hippo doesn't check talon. All talonflame variants would be a big threat to my team even if i didn't have tyranitar.

If you want to take Gengar (and Defoggers like Lati twins) down why not just go with Scarf Pursuit? Can outspeed and trap it with ease, and you don't end up (almost) losing your TTar in the process.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you want to take Gengar (and Defoggers like Lati twins) down why not just go with Scarf Pursuit? Can outspeed and trap it with ease, and you don't end up (almost) losing your TTar in the process.
This was the biggest thing jumping out at me after looking at your threatlist. Scarftar does a darned good job at checking most of it. It doesn't need to bother dealing with Dracos with Chansey and Skarm around, and it seems silly to me to ev it so that it barely survives against Gengar and Alakazam. Scarftar also works really well with Volt-turn teams because if your opponent switches in something liable to pursuit bait, you can take it down without much hassle.

Sagittarius A* (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

As per the rest of your threatlist, Superpower allows TTar to check Bisharp, you have the best Megagross counter in Skarm, Hoopa-U is about to go to Ubers, Medicham gets revenge killed by TTar now, and for Amoonguss, designate something to take a Spore so Skarm can switch in as a check. Whirlwind > Roar also on Skarm because it gets through Soundproof (and in the old days it was required to beat Baton Pass). Otherwise team looks solid. Hope this helps!

As someone who has seen this team in action dozens if not hundreds of times I know it's good and works well. I think with the way the meta is moving especially on the suspect ladder with all the stall I think running special lure Altaria like you have on one of your other squads works fine. I don't know what spread you use but here is one possible option:

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Heal Bell
- Roost

This is a variant that runs max speed allowing it to outspeed base 70's like Bisharp, Mega Heracross, and even max speed Heatran. It threatens Amoongus and Skarmory greatly with fireblast luring them for Azumarill:

252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Amoonguss: 204-240 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 284-336 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Hyper voice also allows you to beat Quagsire:
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That said the disadvantage of this spread is it has very little bulk and can't take on keldeo as well.

I prefer Earthquake on this set over heal bell especially if Hippowdown with this set is added to your team over Assault Vest Tyranitar as mentioned by other users:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Taking off whirlwind on Hippo makes you weaker to mega scizor who is a huge problem for your team if it isn't trapped by magnezone for one reason or another but overall wouldn't hurt the effectiveness of the set too much.

This allows you to take rocks off of Chansey and put heal bell on it:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

If you would prefer to run a bulkier Special Altaria set with t-wave support that is still fine. Regardless though I think the special set is overall better for this though that would still require you to run investment in special attack. Here is the spread for the standard special set:

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 168 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Heal Bell
- Roost

Regardless if you take these suggestions or not congratulations on the fantastic team there is a reason this team has had so much success.

This was the biggest thing jumping out at me after looking at your threatlist. Scarftar does a darned good job at checking most of it. It doesn't need to bother dealing with Dracos with Chansey and Skarm around, and it seems silly to me to ev it so that it barely survives against Gengar and Alakazam. Scarftar also works really well with Volt-turn teams because if your opponent switches in something liable to pursuit bait, you can take it down without much hassle.

Sagittarius A* (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

As per the rest of your threatlist, Superpower allows TTar to check Bisharp, you have the best Megagross counter in Skarm, Hoopa-U is about to go to Ubers, Medicham gets revenge killed by TTar now, and for Amoonguss, designate something to take a Spore so Skarm can switch in as a check. Whirlwind > Roar also on Skarm because it gets through Soundproof (and in the old days it was required to beat Baton Pass). Otherwise team looks solid. Hope this helps!
Yeah I considered scarf but I am hesitant to run two scarfers on one team. Also, people often stay in on my tyranitar expecting it to be scarfed and it helps me get off a kill. For example, i would first pursuit a heatran that refuses to switch out. Then i would use earthquake because my opponent would think im choiced. Also, this case works well for switch-ins too. Pokemon such as landorus are common switch in to scarfed tyranitar and i surprise it with ice beam as it switches in.

Last edited:
As someone who has seen this team in action dozens if not hundreds of times I know it's good and works well. I think with the way the meta is moving especially on the suspect ladder with all the stall I think running special lure Altaria like you have on one of your other squads works fine. I don't know what spread you use but here is one possible option:

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Heal Bell
- Roost

This is a variant that runs max speed allowing it to outspeed base 70's like Bisharp, Mega Heracross, and even max speed Heatran. It threatens Amoongus and Skarmory greatly with fireblast luring them for Azumarill:

252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Amoonguss: 204-240 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 284-336 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Hyper voice also allows you to beat Quagsire:
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That said the disadvantage of this spread is it has very little bulk and can't take on keldeo as well.

I prefer Earthquake on this set over heal bell especially if Hippowdown with this set is added to your team over Assault Vest Tyranitar as mentioned by other users:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Taking off whirlwind on Hippo makes you weaker to mega scizor who is a huge problem for your team if it isn't trapped by magnezone for one reason or another but overall wouldn't hurt the effectiveness of the set too much.

This allows you to take rocks off of Chansey and put heal bell on it:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

If you would prefer to run a bulkier Special Altaria set with t-wave support that is still fine. Regardless though I think the special set is overall better for this though that would still require you to run investment in special attack. Here is the spread for the standard special set:

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 168 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Heal Bell
- Roost

Regardless if you take these suggestions or not congratulations on the fantastic team there is a reason this team has had so much success.
The only problem with special altaria is that I lose a more reliable switch-in / check to mega heracross. Also, on my other teams with special altaria, I find that I have trouble dealing up bulky calm mind mons such as suicune and mega slowbro. With the dragon dance set, i can set up on them. Usually for slowbro, I paralyze it before I send Altaria out.

Also, thanks for the congrats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)