Chansey (Singles) [GP 2/2]

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Even in a fast-paced metagame such as Battle Spot, where offensive Pokemon are heavily favored over defensive ones, Chansey still stands out as one of the best walls in the game. With stellar HP and Special Defense, Chansey is able to sponge hits and then force out powerful special attackers such as Thundurus and Volcarona. Chansey's lack of Defense is somewhat alleviated by the use of Eviolite, further improving her tanking capabilities and allowing her to beat mixed attackers such as Greninja. Chansey has access to a variety of support options that let her assist her team, such as Thunder Wave to spread status onto the opposing team, and Chansey can absorb incoming status as well thanks to Natural Cure. Unfortunately, Chansey's passive nature leaves her vulnerable to Taunt users, and with only base 35 Special Attack, Chansey cannot properly make use of coverage moves, meaning that most Ghost-types are able to completely wall her. As Chansey is outclassed by Blissey without Eviolite, she is very vulnerable to moves like Knock Off and Trick, which will severely cripple her ability to sponge hits. Mega Gengar can take advantage of this and trap Chansey, knowing that she will almost never hold Leftovers or Shed Shell over Eviolite.

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Seismic Toss
move 2: Soft-Boiled
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Toxic / Swagger
item: Eviolite
ability: Natural Cure
nature: Bold
evs: 44 HP / 252 Def / 212 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

========

Seismic Toss is Chansey's only way of dealing damage outside of Toxic and is useful as chip damage in order to break Substitutes; it is also Chansey's only usable move after being hit by Taunt. Soft-Boiled serves as Chansey's only means of recovery, instantly recovering 50% of Chansey's HP and helping her stay alive for as long as possible. Thunder Wave lets Chansey cripple faster foes that can potentially sweep your team such as powerful Dragon Dance users, which include the likes of Mega Charizard X and Mega Salamence. Toxic is extremely useful when breaking down more defensively oriented foes that won't be worn down by Seismic Toss due to their access to reliable recovery, such as Porygon2 and Slowbro. Swagger is an option over Toxic, as the combination of the two statuses will give the foe only a 37.5% chance to retaliate per turn.

Set Details
========

As Chansey is always used as a reliable switch-in for Greninja, it is a good idea to invest 44 EVs in HP to allow Chansey to survive two Gunk Shots from neutral-natured maximum Attack Greninja. Maximum investment in Defense with the remaining EVs in Special Defense makes the most use of Eviolite. Due to the uneven distribution between Chansey's defensive stats, investing in HP is generally not efficient, but it is an option to survive certain attacks. For example, running 152 HP EVs helps Chansey tank a +1 Outrage from Adamant Mega Charizard X and avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Garchomp's Outrage. A Bold nature should always be used to somewhat patch up Chansey's terrible Defense, as she already has sufficient Special Defense. Eviolite is required to allow Chansey to take both physical and special hits better. Natural Cure allows Chansey to absorb status ailments for the team, immediately healing Chansey after she switches out.

Usage Tips
========

Considering that Chansey can take any special attack with ease, she should be sent in on Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Mega Gardevoir to sponge powerful STAB moves that her teammates cannot afford to take. At the same time, Chansey must be wary of special attackers that could carry Taunt or Trick such as Serperior, Rotom-W, and Latios. Chansey is an excellent status absorber thanks to Natural Cure, which removes status ailments inflicted by the likes of Scald, Thunder Wave, and Toxic that would otherwise cripple your team's sweeper. Always scout for potential Knock Offs users with your Mega Evolution so that Chansey will not lose her ability to tank hits for your team. If running Swagger, it is a relatively a safe option for Chansey to use because she is usually sent in on powerful special attackers and therefore doesn't have to fear a powerful physical attack; the chip damage from the foe hurting itself will also be extremely useful for taking it down. Using Swagger can help Chansey overcome Calm Mind users such as Suicune and Sylveon, which cannot be worn down with Toxic due to their access to Rest and Heal Bell. With a bit of luck on your side, Swagger can even be used to take down Aegislash variants lacking Substitute.

Team Options
========

Both Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are fantastic partners that can form a solid defensive core with Chansey due to Slowbro's ability to take on powerful Fighting-types with ease while also dispatching Talonflame, which would otherwise be a huge threat to Chansey. Gliscor really enjoys Thunder Wave support from Chansey so that it can take advantage of slower foes by freely setting up Substitute and proceed to threaten the opposing team with Guillotine. In return, Chansey can help take special attacks such as Scald and Ice Beam without having much worry of being burned or frozen due to Natural Cure. Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn can form an effective core with Slowbro and Chansey; they all have access to some form of recovery, which allows them to wear down each other's checks and counters through residual damage by forcing constant switches. Powerful wallbreakers such as Heracross and Mega Heracross appreciate paralysis support from Chansey, as they are often outsped and taken out before being able to deal massive damage to the opposing team. As Mega Sableye really struggles to deal with Fairy-types, Chansey can help with removing them due to her ability to come in on most Fairy-type attacks, such as Mega Gardevoir's Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice. Due to Skarmory's high Defense and superb defensive typing, it is an excellent partner for Chansey, taking on physical attackers that threaten her. Mega Gengar can trap opposing Chansey on stall teams and cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Despite stacking a Fighting-type weakness with Chansey, Tyranitar is a decent partner for its ability to Pursuit trap Mega Gengar and potential Trick users such as Latios.

[SET]
name: Minimize
move 3: Minimize
move 4: Substitute / Thunder Wave / Toxic
nature: Timid / Bold
evs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

========

Seismic Toss is required in order to deal meaningful damage, as Chansey lacks the offensive stats to make good use of her other attacking options. Soft-Boiled provides reliable recovery that, along with Chansey's superb bulk and decent typing, gives her more chances to set up and increases her longevity. Along with some investment in Speed, Minimize allows Chansey to gain evasion boosts against slower foes, which will make her extremely hard to take down due to her reliable recovery and excellent bulk. Substitute works well with Chansey's ability to absorb weaker special attacks, easing setup, blocking status moves from slower foes such as Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave and Leech Seed, and, most importantly, allowing Chansey to stall out users of OHKO moves, which are threatening because they ignore evasion boosts. Both Thunder Wave and Toxic are viable options over Substitute, though, as the former gives Chansey the ability to move first, which is useful when setting up, and the latter helps wear the foe down while Chansey continues to grab evasion boosts; it is also helpful to have another source of damage besides Seismic Toss.

Set Details
========

Running maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is recommended on this set, as it gives Chansey more opportunities to set up against slower foes such as uninvested Cresselia, Mega Venusaur, and Suicune. The rest of the EVs are allocated to Defense to allow Chansey to take physical hits better, as she has a rather low physical bulk. A Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe can also be used but is not recommended, as Chansey then loses the ability to outspeed many defensive threats. Eviolite boosts Chansey's overall bulk by 1.5x and is required for her to set up and tank hits properly. Natural Cure allows Chansey to recover from status ailments if the foe is faster. The ability is also useful for scouting purposes, allowing you to find out whether Pokemon such as Venusaur are running any Speed investment.

Usage Tips
========

Chansey should be sent out on potential slower leads such as Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, and Skarmory for a chance to set up at the start of the match, but you must watch out for potential phazing moves such as Whirlwind. With maximum Speed and a Timid nature, Chansey can set up on faster foes with no Speed investment such as Cresselia, Venusaur, and Suicune. Substitute should always be used before setting up with Minimize, as it blocks potential Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Leech Seed while also protecting Chansey from Scald burns and OHKO moves. If the bulkier spread with a Bold nature is used, Chansey will force out a lot of special attackers such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Sylveon and can find opportunities to set up. Never send Chansey in on a potential Knock Off and always scout for Trick on the likes of Rotom-W and Latios, as without Eviolite, Chansey becomes very physically frail.

Team Options
========

Due to their immense physical bulk and access to reliable recovery, Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are excellent partners for Chansey, being able to deal with Fighting-types such as Blaziken as well as Talonflame. Gliscor can help Chansey wear down physical attackers such as Garchomp and Landorus-T by spreading Toxic so that Chansey can take advantage of her bulk to stall out the foes. Suicune is a nice partner because Chansey can set up on powerful Grass- and Electric-types such as Venusaur and Mega Manectric, two of Suicune's biggest threats. Tyranitar helps Chansey eliminate Gengar and Talonflame with Pursuit trapping and its powerful STAB moves, respectively; however, you should be aware that the residual damage from sand also wears down Chansey considerably due to her lack of Leftovers. Mega Evolutions such as Mega Salamence, Mega Scizor, and Mega Venusaur can switch into a predicted Knock Off or Trick, while Chansey can take powerful special attacks that threaten them in return. Both Klefki and Thundurus have access to Prankster Thunder Wave, which helps with spreading paralysis so that Chansey can set up Substitute on faster foes. Stallbreakers like Gliscor, Mega Gengar, and Talonflame can use Taunt to prevent foes from using Substitute and phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind; Talonflame also appreciates Chansey's ability to take on bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Mega Gengar can also trap and eliminate opposing Chansey as well as threaten Unaware Clefable with STAB Sludge Bomb.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

=============

Stealth Rock is useful for breaking Focus Sash and can be used over Thunder Wave or Toxic if your team needs an entry hazard setter. Psychic prevents Chansey being completely walled by Gengar and will do decent amounts of damage to Fighting-types such as Breloom. Shadow Ball helps Chansey against Gengar and Aegislash, and it also happens to have more PP than Psychic, which is helpful due to Chansey's low Special Attack. Skill Swap can be used to gain momentum by stealing abilities such as Magic Bounce, Shadow Tag, and Prankster. It also helps cripple Suicune, Sylveon, and Gliscor by robbing them of their useful abilities. Counter is another option for Chansey to deal with physical attackers such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X when they lock themselves into Outrage. Protect can be used along with Toxic to help rack up extra chip damage. Aromatherapy is an option for Chansey, as her phenomenal bulk makes her a decent cleric, but it isn't too common due to her other moves being more useful most of the time. Wish is a nice support move with Chansey's massive HP but is extremely difficult to acquire, as Chansey only has access to this move in the third generation.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Talonflame**: With access to both Taunt and Roost, Talonflame poses a huge threat to Chansey and can quickly rack up Swords Dance boosts against her.

**Mega Sableye**: Due to Mega Sableye's access to Magic Bounce, Chansey cannot touch it at all unless running both Skill Swap and Toxic. Otherwise, Mega Sableye can freely set up Calm Mind on Chansey without much to fear.

**Taunt Users**: Chansey relies on her non-attacking moves to fulfill her role and is very vulnerable to Taunt due to her low Speed. Be aware of special attackers that might carry Taunt, such as Serperior and Thundurus.

**Knock Off and Trick Users**: Common Knock Off users such as Mega Mawile, Scizor, and Conkeldurr will severely cripple Chansey's ability to tank, as she is heavily dependent on Eviolite. Trick users such as Rotom-W, Latios, and Gothitelle, the latter of which can trap and eliminate Chansey, not only rob Chansey of her Eviolite but also cripple her for the rest of the match.

**Substitute Users**: Common setup sweepers and Mega Evolutions such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Gyarados sometimes carry Substitute to avoid status ailments; Gyarados may even have Taunt.

**Fighting-types**: Despite Chansey's tanking capabilities, she is unable to take powerful Fighting-type STAB attacks from foes such as Blaziken and Heracross. Heracross doesn't even mind status ailments much thanks to Guts.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash can threaten Chansey by virtue of its typing. Variants with Toxic and Substitute are especially dangerous, as due to Chansey's low Speed, Aegislash will be able to easily stall her out.

**OHKO Moves**: Chansey is very vulnerable to OHKO moves, as she cannot be taken out easily by other means due to having reliable recovery and excellent bulk. Pokemon with access to OHKO moves such as Gliscor, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Glalie, and Suicune have a chance to eliminate Chansey instantly.

**Mega Gengar**: Being a Ghost-type with access to Perish Song and Taunt, Mega Gengar is able to trap Chansey and then KO her through Perish Song or Struggle recoil depending on which move it's running, and due to Chansey's low Special Attack, she won't even be able to 3HKO Mega Gengar even with Psychic.

Last edited:
  1. In the summary, stating that Chansey is reliant on its Eviolite is a misleading way of putting it. Would be better to say that it's outclassed by Blissey without it.
  2. Is there enough of a difference between the first two sets to justify having them split? Could Swagger be slashed on Move 4 of the first set?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wassup man, this is looking pretty good to me. I haven't used Chansey in a while but lemme see what I can add.

I think Other Options could be expanded a little bit. Counter is a pretty good surprise option and Chansey can usually get at least one off to take down a physical threat. Protect's also an Other Option to stall when using Toxic.

As for Team Options, you might want to mention that Tyranitar's Sand Stream does hurt Chansey a little bit even if it's not a huge deal. And Mega Venusaur can also switch in against Fighting attacks, not just Knock Off.

I think you could also mention why you don't want to invest in HP, because most walls do want to. It's something a lot of new players might not understand (including myself) so I think it's nice to just explain.

I'm sure I missed some stuff but that's all I've got for now, I'm kinda tired haha

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
All hail Hulavuta!
I believe I still need one more QC before I can start writing this in paragraph form :3

Mostly a nitpick, but Mega Sableye, Wobbuffet/Gothitelle, Thundurus/Whimsicott and special/mixed Greninja should be mentioned as Skill Swap targets in OO, since Chansey walls them pretty well and can make good use of their abilities; Suicune and Azumarill should be dropped since their abilities don't really benefit Chansey, and the latter is difficult to switch into, and Gliscor is barely relevant.

The rest of this analysis looks great though, keep up the good work! (I'm not QC, btw)

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
Thanks for the help!
Both Suicune and Gliscor are hard to break with their abilities since Pressure will stall out PP while 90% of the Gliscor carries a Toxic Orb.
Chansey is a great switch-in to both mons as their OHKO moves are nullified by sub and without their abilities it decreases their usefulness somewhat.
I've added Magic Bounce, Shadow Tag and Prankster to the list of useful abilities.

Oh, and in Usage Tips of the first set, the second point is worded a bit incorrectly since it doesn't beat Garchomp or Hippowdon, it merely cripples them with Toxic. The fourth one isn't entirely true as Hydreigon mostly runs Choice items or Life Orb, and the last one is kinda redundant and obvious.

Getting back to Skill Swap, I'm still not sure if Gliscor should be mentioned since it's pretty rare...but it's not such a big deal, I guess. You could even mention how MSableye is heavily crippled by it in C&C, as it effortlessly walls Chansey otherwise, though you'd still need to run Toxic (MSableye is immune to SToss).

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
Thanks again! And fixed most points.
I'll leave the part about Swagger being RNG for the moment so I can mention it when writing (and may not be obvious for some).

Imo make 44 HP / 252 Def the main EV spread for the first set, i use that spread myself and like it a lot, greninja can be troublesome for common stall teams so reliably checking it with this spread is cool

Slash swagger before rocks, and i actually think rocks would be more suited for other options. When you talk about swagger, mention that going for it is relatively safe with chansey since you'll almost always be using it against special attackers. And mention swagger is good because chansey is a pretty passive pokemon so the extra damage from confusion is pretty helpful.

Mention mega gengar in team options in the first set. Being able to trap stuff and wisp threats to your team is really great for stall. Mention ttar in team options for the first set too cause it can pursuit megagenga. When you talk about gliscor in team options in the first set, mention that gliscor reeeally likes the twave support because it can start setting up subs against the slowed down mons and start firing off guillotines when it gets behind a sub safely. Expand more on slowbro in team options. Not only does it deal with talonflame, but the two together form a great core where you have a great spdef wall and a great physical wall. Also mention that slowbro resists fighting which is of course nice to patch up chanseys weakness.

Add aegislash to checks and counters, and specifically talk about the subtoxic set, which also really shits on chanseys common partners like slowbro.

When you talk about fighting types, mention Blaziken, blaziken is the best fighting type in the meta lol it really should be in here. And you can probably take out the mention of Terrakion as it isnt very common.

I think OHKO moves could get a section in checks and counters too. Since chansey is so passive, mons with ohko moves will get a lot of tries to take chansey out. Mention gliscor, mamoswine, excadrill, glalie, and idk if we can mention sheer cold suicune yet but if we can, definitely mention suicune.

Mention serperior in the taunt section and probably remove the mention of greninja cause taunt greninja is really not common.

I think that's all I got so 2/3 once all that's done

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
NOVED the godsend himself~
Added all the points you've mentioned, finished writing up, and ready for the third check.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the long wait, I've been sorta getting owned by real life, but I'm ready to check this now!

-When comparing Chansey to Blissey in the overview, I'd also mention that Chansey's eviolite makes it have big problems with Mega Gengar, since it can't use Shed Shell to escape.

-I'd mention Aromatherapy somewhere, as Chansey is a notable user of the move, since its bulk makes it a pretty nice cleric. It usually fits on the first set, but it's not too common so you can just mention it in other options.

-I'd mention Wish in other options. Mention that getting a legit Wish Chansey is almost impossible, but its a really cool support move if you manage to get it.

-I'd bring up Mega Gengar in counters. If Mega Gengar has Perish Song or Taunt, it can basically trap Chansey until it gets KOed by Perish Song or Struggle Recoil respectively (though Taunt can get unlucky with Minimize lol).

Otherwise, you did a damn good job on this analysis, I hope you continue to write them :D

QC Approved 3/3 once you implement these nitpicks!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
- change all curly apostrophes to the straight kind --> '
- make sure you're consistent with pronouns for Chansey; sometimes you use she/her and sometimes you use it
- implement the check with the Reply button

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Even in a fast-paced metagame one such as Battle Spot, (AC) where offensive Pokemon is are heavily favored over defensive ones, Chansey still stands out as one of the best walls in the game. With stellar HP and Special Defense, Chansey is able to sponge hits and then force out powerful special attackers such as Thundurus and Volcarona. Chansey's lack of Defense is somewhat alleviated by the use of Eviolite, further improving her tanking capabilities and allowing her to beat mixed attackers like Greninja. Chansey has access to a variety of support options that let her in which she can assist the team, for example by spreading status to cripple to the opposing team, (AC) and can in turn absorb incoming status as well thanks to her ability Natural Cure which removes Chansey’s status after switching out. Due to Chansey's passive nature, it does leaves her vulnerable to Taunt users, which can take advantage of her lack of offensive presence. W (said more or less the same thing as "passive nature ... vulnerable"), and with only 35 Special Attack, Chansey cannot properly make use of coverage moves, meaning which allows most Ghost-types are able to completely wall it her. As Chansey is outclassed by Blissey without Eviolite, this makes her very prone she is very vulnerable to moves like Knock Off and Trick, which will severely cripple her Chansey's ability to sponge hits. Mega Gengar can take advantage of this and trap Chansey, (AC) knowing that it she will almost never hold Leftovers or Shed Shell over Eviolite. Despite all these shortcomings, though, Chansey is too good of a mixed wall to pass by up and should be used on any stall teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Seismic Toss is Chansey's only way of dealing damage outside of Toxic and is useful as chip damage in order to break Substitutes; it is also Chansey's and the only usable move after being Taunted. Soft-Boiled serves as Chansey's only means of recovery, which instantly recovering 50% HP, (AC) and helps Chansey stay alive for as long as possible so that she can cripple the opposing team as much as possible before going down or to absorb damage and status. Thunder Wave lets Chansey cripple faster foes that which can potentially sweep your team such as powerful Dragon Dance users like Charizard and Salamence. Toxic is extremely useful when breaking down more defensively oriented foes that which won't be taking much from Seismic Toss due to their access to reliable recovery, (AC) such as Porygon2 and Slowbro. Swagger is an option over Toxic, but it should only be used in conjunction with Thunder Wave on this set;, (AC) as the combination of the two statuses will only allow the foe to have only a 37.5% chance to retaliate per turn.

Set Details
========

As Chansey is always used as a reliable switch-in for Greninja, an it is a good idea to investment of 44 EVs in HP to allows Chansey to survive two live 2 Gunk Shots from neutral-natured maximum Attack Greninja with a positive Speed nature. Maximum investment in Defense and the remainder in and the rest of the EVs are allocated to Special Defense makes to make the most use of Eviolite. Due to an uneven distribution between Chansey's HP stat and its defenses, investing in HP is generally not efficient, but it is an option to survive certain attacks. For example, running such as 152 EVs in HP helps Chansey tank a +1 Outrage from Adamant Mega Charizard X and guarantees it survives two Outrages guaranteed to live 2 Outrage from Adamant Garchomp. A Bold nature should always be used to somewhat patch up Chansey's lack of Defense, (AC) as it already has sufficient Special Defense. Eviolite is required to allow Chansey to take both physical and special hits better both physically and specially, and should be used over any other item. Natural Cure allows Chansey to absorb status for the team, (AC) which is immediately removeding it after Chansey switches switching out.

Usage Tips
========

With Consdering Chansey's ability to take any kind of special attacks with ease, it Chansey should be sent in on Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, (AC) and Mega Gardevoir to sponge powerful STAB moves that its teammates if the other members of your team cannot afford to take such an attack. At the same time, Chansey must be wary of special attackers that could potentially carry Taunt or Trick such as Serperior, Rotom-W, (AC) and Latios. Chansey becomes an excellent status absorber thanks to its ability Natural Cure, which can be used to take burns from removes status inflicted by Scald, Thunder Wave, or Toxic that which would otherwise cripple your team's sweeper. Always scout for potential Knock Offs with your Mega Pokemon so that Chansey will not lose her effectiveness in tanking hits for your team. Swagger is a relatively a safe option for Chansey to use because most of the time she is sent in on powerful special attackers, and therefore doesn't have to the chip damage from confusion will be extremely useful for taking them down without the fear of a powerful physical attack; the chip damage from the foe hurting itself will also be extremely useful for taking them down due to the boost from Swagger. Using Swagger can help Chansey overcome Calm Mind users such as Suicune and Sylveon, (AC) which cannot be worn down with using Toxic due to Rest and Heal Bell. With a bit of luck on your side, Swagger sets can even be used to take down Aegislash variants lacking Substitute.

Team Options
========

Both Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are fantastic partners that can form a solid defensive core with Chansey due to Slowbro's ability to take on powerful Fighting-types with easy ease while also dispatching Talonflame, (AC) which would otherwise be a huge threat to Chansey. Gliscor really enjoys Thunder Wave support from Chansey so that it may take advantage of slower foes by freely setting up Substitute and proceed to threaten the opposing team with Guillotine. In return, (AC) Chansey can help Gliscor take any kind of special attacks such as Scald and Ice Beam without having much worry of being burnted or frozen due to Natural Cure. Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn can form an effective core with Slowbro + and Chansey; (ASC) and provide excellent synergy as they all have access to some form of recovery, (AC) which allows them to wear down one another's checks each other’s check and counters through residual damage by forcing constant switching. Powerful wallbreakers such as Heracross and Mega Heracross appreciates the paralysis support from Chansey, (AC) as they are often outsped by faster foes and are taken out before being able to deal massive damage to the opposing team. As Mega Sableye really struggles to deal with Fairy-types, in which Chansey can help with removing them due to her ability to come in on any Fairy-type attack (even like, Play Rough? if not don't say "any") such as a Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice. Due to Skarmory's high natural Defense and superb defensive typing, it makes is an excellent partner for Chansey, taking due its ability to take on physical attacks that which threaten it Chansey. Mega Gengar can be very helpful as a partner, as since it can trap opposing Chansey from on stall teams and while being able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Despite having the same Fighting-type weakness to as Chansey, Tyranitar makes is a decent partner for its ability to Pursuit trap Gengar and potential Trick users such as Latios.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Seismic Toss being the only attacking move on this set is required in order to damage the foe, (AC) as Chansey lacks the Special Attack to make good use of other attacking options. Soft-Boiled is mandatory reliable recovery that which, along with Chansey's superb bulk and neutral decent typing, (AC) will gives it her more chances to set up and increases her longetivity. Minimize is the main selling point of the set, aAlong with some investment in Speed, Minimize allows Chansey to gain evasion boosts against slower foes, (AC) which will make her extremely hard to take down due to her reliable recovery and excellent bulk. Substitute should be used in the fourth slot for many reasons. Firstly it allows works well with Chansey's ability to absorb weaker special attackers so Substitute will not break; giving it more chance to use Minimize. Secondly it, eases setup, prevents status moves from slower foes such as Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave and Leech Seed. Lastly, (AC) and, (AC) most importantly, protects Chansey from as OHKO moves, which ignore evasion boosts, Substitute can protect Chansey against them as they and therefore are threatening, thanks to their have low PP and accuracy. Both Thunder Wave and Toxic are viable options over Substitute, though, as the former gives Chansey the ability to move first, (AC) which is useful when setting up, (AC) and the latter helps wear the foe down as Chansey continues to grab evasion boosts; it is also helpful to have while having another source of damage besides Seismic Toss.

Set Details
========

Running maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is recommended on this set, (AC) as it gives Chansey more opportunityies to set up against slower foes such as non-uninvested Cresselia, Venusaur, (AC) and Suicune which would otherwise outspeed Chansey if using a Bold nature. The rest of the EVs are allocated to Defense to allow Chansey to take physical hits better, as she since it has a rather low physical Defense. A Bold nature with a spread of 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe can also be used but is not recommended, (AC) as it you lose a lot of crucial Speed against Chansey then loses the ability to outspeed defensive threats such as the aforementioned uninvested Cresselia, Venusaur, and Suicune mentioned above. Eviolite is by far Chansey's best item, (AC) as it boosts its her overall bulk by 1.5, (AC) times and is required for Chansey to set up and tank hits properly. Natural Cure is the ability of choice as it allows Chansey to recover from status if the foe endeds up being faster. This is also useful for scouting purposes, for example allowing you to as you find out whether or not Pokemon such as Venusaur is are running any Speed investment.

Usage Tips
========

Chansey should be sent out on potential slower leads such as Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, (AC) and Skarmory for a chance to set up at the start of the match, but you must watch out for potential phazing moves such as Whirlwind, as they since it ignores everything, (AC) including Protect. With maximum Speed and a Timid nature, Chansey can now set up on faster foes with no Speed investment such as Cresselia, Venusaur, (AC) and Suicune. Substitute should always be used before setting up with Minimize, (AC) as it blocks potential Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Leech Seed while also protecting Chansey from Scald burns and OHKO moves. If the bulkier spread with a Bold nature is used, Chansey will force out a lot of special attackers such as such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, (AC) and Sylveon and can find opportunities to set up potentially setup against them. Never send Chansey in on a potential Knock Off and always scout for Trick on Rotom-W and Latios, (AC) as without its item Eviolite, Chansey becomes very physically frail on the physical side and always scout for potential Trick from Rotom-W and Latios.

Team Options
========

Due to their immense physical bulk with and reliable recovery, Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are excellent partners for Chansey, being able to deal with Fighting-types such as Blaziken and also Talonflame. Gliscor can help Chansey wear down physical attackers such as Garchomp and Landorus-T by spreading Toxic so that Chansey will can take advantage of her bulk to stall out the foes. Suicune is a nice partner because Chansey can set up on powerful Grass-types and Electric-types such as Venusaur and Manectric, two of Suicune's biggest threats. Tyranitar helps Chansey eliminate Gengar and Talonflame with Pursuit trapping and its powerful STAB moves, respectively,; (ASC) however, (AC) you should be aware that residual damage from sand also wears down Chansey considerably due to her lack of recovery from an item such as Leftovers. Mega Pokemon such as Salamence, Scizor, (AC) and Venusaur are all great with Chansey, (AC) as they help take incoming Knock Off and Trick while Chansey takes powerful STABs which attacks that would threaten them. Both Klefki and Thundurus have access to Prankster Thunder Wave, (AC) which helps with spreading paralysis so that Chansey can set up Substitute on faster foes. Stallbreakers like Gliscor, Gengar, (AC) and Talonflame can help tuse Taunt to prevent opposing Substitute and phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind,; (ASC) Talonflame also appreciates Chansey's ability to take on bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Mega Gengar can also trap and helps with eliminating opposing Chansey, as well as being while able to threaten Unaware Clefable with a powerful STAB move.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Stealth Rock is useful for breaking Focus Sash and can be used over Thunder Wave or Toxic if your team needs a setter, which is useful for breaking Focus Sash. Psychic prevents Chansey being completely walled by Gengar and will do decent amounts of damage to Fighting-types such as Breloom. Shadow Ball helps Chansey against Gengar and Aegislash, which and it also happens to have more PP than Psychic, (AC) which is helpful due to Chansey's low Special Attack. Skill Swap can be used to gain momentum by stealing abilities such as Magic Bounce, Shadow Tag, and Prankster. It also helps cripple Suicune, Sylveon, (AC) and Gliscor by robbing them of their useful abilities. Counter is another option for Chansey to deal with physical attackers such as Garchomp or and Mega Charizard X when they lock themslves into Outrage.(space)Protect can be used along with Toxic to help rack up the chip damage. Aromatherapy is an option for Chansey, (AC) as due to its her phenomenal bulk, so she makes her a decent cleric, but. However it isn't too common due to other moves being more useful most of the time. Wish is a nice support move with Chansey's massive HP but is extremely difficult to acquire, (AC) one as Chansey only have has access to this move in the third generation.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Talonflame**: With access to both Taunt and Roost, Talonflame poses a huge threat to Chansey and can use the opportunity to quickly rack up Swords Dance boosts.

**Mega Sableye**: Due to its Mega Sableye's ability Magic Bounce, Chansey cannot touch it Mega Sableye at all unless its running both Skill Swap and Toxic on the same set, o. Otherwise, (AC) Mega Sableye can freely Calm Mind on Chansey without much to fear.

**Taunt**: Chansey relies on its her non-attacking moves to fulfill its her role and is very prone vulnerable to Taunt due to her low Speed. Be aware of special attackers that might carry Taunt, (AC) such as Serperior and Thundurus.

**Knock Off**: Common Knock Off users such as Mega Mawile, Scizor, (AC) and Conkeldurr will severely cripple Chansey's ability to tank, as she is heavily dependent on its item Eviolite.
(I feel like Knock Off and Trick could be merged into one section, but idk)
**Trick**: Trick not only robs of Chansey's of her item, (RC) but also cripples her for the rest of the match as Chansey is forced to be locked into one move. Common users include Rotom-W, Latios, (AC) and Gothitelle, the last of which while Gothitelle can even trap Chansey.

**Substitute**: Common setup sweepers and Mega Pokemon such as Alakazam, Lopunny, (AC) and Gyarados that might carry Substitute to avoid status and are therefore potential threats. is a threat while Gyarados may even have Taunt.

**Fighting-types**: Despite Chansey's tanking capabilities, she is unable to take powerful STAB from Fighting-types attacks from foes such as Blaziken and Heracross. Heracross doesn't even mind getting status thanks to its ability Guts.

**Aegislash**: Aegislash is a Pokemon that can threaten both Chansey and Slowbro, especially be wary of the v. (AP) Variants with Toxic and Substitute are especially dangerous, as due to the low Speed of both Pokemon, Aegislash will be able to easily stall them out.

**OHKO Moves**: Chansey is very vulnerable to OHKO moves, as she since it cannot be taken out easily by other means. (the causal relationship there isn't really apparent, can you explain what it not being taken out easily has to do with OHKO moves more explicitly? I added that thing at the end but idk if it works) Pokemon with access to OHKO moves will have a chance to break Chansey instantly; examples include such as Gliscor, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Glalie, (AC) and Suicune.

**Mega Gengar**: Being a Ghost-type with access to Perish Song and Taunt, Mega Gengar is able to trap Chansey and then proceed to KO her through Perish Song or Struggle recoil, (AC) respectively, and due to Chansey's low Special Attack it she won't even be able to 3HKO Gengar, (AC) even with a super effective move.

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Even in a fast-paced metagame such as Battle Spot, where offensive Pokemon are heavily favored over defensive ones, Chansey still stands out as one of the best walls in the game. With stellar HP and Special Defense, Chansey is able to sponge hits and then force out powerful special attackers such as Thundurus and Volcarona. Chansey's lack of Defense is somewhat alleviated by the use of Eviolite, further improving her tanking capabilities and allowing her to beat mixed attackers like such as Greninja. Chansey has access to a variety of support options that let her assist the her team, for example by such as Thunder Wave to spreading status onto cripple the opposing team, and Chansey can absorb incoming status as well thanks to her ability Natural Cure. Unfortunately, Chansey's passive nature does leaves her vulnerable to Taunt users, and with only base 35 Special Attack, Chansey cannot properly make use of coverage moves, meaning that most Ghost-types are able to completely wall her. As Chansey is outclassed by Blissey without Eviolite, she is very vulnerable to moves like Knock Off and Trick, which will severely cripple her ability to sponge hits. Mega Gengar can take advantage of this and trap Chansey, knowing that she will almost never hold Leftovers or Shed Shell over Eviolite. Despite all these shortcomings, though, Chansey is too good of a mixed wall to pass up and should be used on any stall teams. (Concluding sentences are not allowed. Don't worry; I hate that rule too.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

========

Seismic Toss is Chansey's only way of dealing damage outside of Toxic and is useful as chip damage in order to break Substitutes; it is also Chansey's only usable move after being hit by Taunted. Soft-Boiled serves as Chansey's only means of recovery, instantly recovering 50% of Chansey's HP, (RC) and helps Chansey helping her stay alive for as long as possible so that she can cripple the opposing team or absorb damage and status. Thunder Wave lets Chansey cripple faster foes that can potentially sweep your team such as powerful Dragon Dance users, which include the likes of Charizard (which one?) and (Mega?) Salamence. Toxic is extremely useful when breaking down more defensively oriented foes that won't be taking much from worn down by Seismic Toss due to their access to reliable recovery, such as Porygon2 and Slowbro. Swagger is an option over Toxic, but it should only be used in conjunction with Thunder Wave on this set, (Thunder Wave has its own slot) as the combination of the two statuses will allow give the foe to have only a 37.5% chance to retaliate per turn.

Set Details
========

As Chansey is always used as a reliable switch-in for Greninja, it is a good idea to invest 44 EVs in HP to allow Chansey to survive two Gunk Shots from neutral-natured maximum Attack Greninja. Maximum investment in Defense and with the remainder remaining EVs in Special Defense makes the most use of Eviolite. Due to an the uneven distribution between Chansey's HP stat and its defenses defensive stats, investing in HP is generally not efficient, but it is an option to survive certain attacks. For example, running 152 EVs in HP EVs helps Chansey tank a +1 Outrage from Adamant Mega Charizard X and guarantees it survives two Outrages avoid the 2HKO from Adamant Garchomp's Outrage. A Bold nature should always be used to somewhat patch up Chansey's lack of terrible Defense, as it she (keep your articles consistent) already has sufficient Special Defense. Eviolite is required to allow Chansey to take both physical and special hits better and should be used over any other item. Natural Cure allows Chansey to absorb status ailments for the team, immediately removing it after healing Chansey after she switches out.

Usage Tips
========

Considering that Chansey's ability to can take any kind of special attack with ease, it she should be sent in on Pokemon such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Mega Gardevoir to sponge powerful STAB moves that its her teammates cannot afford to take. At the same time, Chansey must be wary of special attackers that could carry Taunt or Trick such as Serperior, Rotom-W, and Latios. Chansey becomes is an excellent status absorber thanks to its ability Natural Cure, which removes status ailments inflicted by the likes of Scald, Thunder Wave, or and Toxic that would otherwise cripple your team's sweeper. Always scout for potential Knock Offs users with your Mega Pokemon Evolution so that Chansey will not lose her effectiveness in ability to tanking hits for your team. If running Swagger, it is a relatively a safe option for Chansey to use because most of the time she is usually sent in on powerful special attackers and therefore doesn't have to fear a powerful physical attack; the chip damage from the foe hurting itself will also be extremely useful for taking them it down. Using Swagger can help Chansey overcome Calm Mind users such as Suicune and Sylveon, which cannot be worn down with Toxic due to their access to Rest and Heal Bell, (AC). With a bit of luck on your side, Swagger sets can even be used to take down Aegislash variants lacking Substitute.

Team Options
========

Both Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are fantastic partners that can form a solid defensive core with Chansey due to Slowbro's ability to take on powerful Fighting-types with ease while also dispatching Talonflame, which would otherwise be a huge threat to Chansey. Gliscor really enjoys Thunder Wave support from Chansey so that it may can take advantage of slower foes by freely setting up Substitute and proceed to threaten the opposing team with Guillotine. In return, Chansey can help take special attacks such as Scald and Ice Beam without having much worry of being burned or frozen due to Natural Cure. Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn can form an effective core with Slowbro and Chansey; they all have access to some form of recovery, which allows them to wear down each one another's checks and counters through residual damage by forcing constant switching switches. Powerful wallbreakers such as Heracross and Mega Heracross appreciate paralysis support from Chansey, as they are often outsped by faster foes and taken out before being able to deal massive damage to the opposing team. As Mega Sableye really struggles to deal with Fairy-types, Chansey can help with removing them due to her ability to come in on most Fairy-type attacks, (AC) such as a Mega Gardevoir's/Sylveon's (pick the more viable one) Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice. Due to Skarmory's high natural Defense and superb defensive typing, it is an excellent partner for Chansey, taking on physical attackers that threaten it her. Mega Gengar can be very helpful as a partner, as it can trap opposing Chansey on stall teams and cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Despite having the same stacking a Fighting-type weakness as with Chansey, Tyranitar is a decent partner for its ability to Pursuit trap (Mega?) Gengar and potential Trick users such as Latios.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

========

Seismic Toss is required in order to deal meaningful damage the foe, as Chansey lacks the Special Attack offensive stats to make good use of her other attacking options. Soft-Boiled is mandatory provides reliable recovery that, along with Chansey's superb bulk and decent typing, gives her more chances to set up and increases her longevity. Along with some investment in Speed, Minimize allows Chansey to gain evasion boosts against slower foes, which will make her extremely hard to take down due to her reliable recovery and excellent bulk. Substitute works well with Chansey's ability to absorb weaker special attacks, eases easing setup, prevents blocking status moves from slower foes such as Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave and Leech Seed, and, most importantly, protects allowing Chansey to stall out users of from OHKO moves, which are threatening because they ignore evasion boosts and therefore are threatening, thanks to their low PP and accuracy. Both Thunder Wave and Toxic are viable options over Substitute, though, as the former gives Chansey the ability to move first, which is useful when setting up, and the latter helps wear the foe down as while Chansey continues to grab evasion boosts; it is also helpful to have another source of damage besides Seismic Toss.

Set Details
========

Running maximum Speed investment with a positive nature is recommended on this set, as it gives Chansey more opportunities to set up against slower foes such as uninvested Cresselia, (Mega?) Venusaur, and Suicune. The rest of the EVs are allocated to Defense to allow Chansey to take physical hits better, as she has a rather low physical Defense bulk. A Bold nature with an EV spread of 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe can also be used but is not recommended, as Chansey then loses the ability to outspeed many defensive threats such as the aforementioned uninvested Cresselia, Venusaur, and Suicune. Eviolite is by far Chansey's best item, as it boosts her Chansey's overall bulk by 1.5x, (RC) and is required for Chansey her to set up and tank hits properly. Natural Cure allows Chansey to recover from status ailments if the foe ends up being is faster. This The ability is also useful for scouting purposes, for example allowing you to find out whether Pokemon such as Venusaur are running any Speed investment.

Usage Tips
========

Chansey should be sent out on potential slower leads such as Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, and Skarmory for a chance to set up at the start of the match, but you must watch out for potential phazing moves such as Whirlwind, as they ignores everything, including Protect. (Chansey's not running Protect though.) With maximum Speed and a Timid nature, Chansey can set up on faster foes with no Speed investment such as Cresselia, Venusaur, and Suicune. Substitute should always be used before setting up with Minimize, as it blocks potential Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Leech Seed while also protecting Chansey from Scald burns and OHKO moves. If the bulkier spread with a Bold nature is used, Chansey will force out a lot of special attackers such as Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, and Sylveon and can find opportunities to set up. Never send Chansey in on a potential Knock Off and always scout for Trick on the likes of Rotom-W and Latios, as without Eviolite, Chansey becomes very physically frail.

Team Options
========

Due to their immense physical bulk and access to reliable recovery, Slowbro and Mega Slowbro are excellent partners for Chansey, being able to deal with Fighting-types such as Blaziken and also as well as Talonflame. Gliscor can help Chansey wear down physical attackers such as Garchomp and Landorus-T by spreading Toxic so that Chansey can take advantage of her bulk to stall out the foes. Suicune is a nice partner because Chansey can set up on powerful Grass-(AH) and Electric-types such as Venusaur and (Mega?) Manectric, two of Suicune's biggest threats. Tyranitar helps Chansey eliminate Gengar and Talonflame with Pursuit trapping and its powerful STAB moves, respectively; however, you should be aware that the residual damage from sand also wears down Chansey considerably due to her lack of recovery from an item such as Leftovers. Mega Pokemon Evolutions such as Mega Salamence, Mega Scizor, and Mega Venusaur are all great with Chansey, as they help take incoming can switch into a predicted Knock Off and or Trick, (AC) while Chansey can takes powerful STAB special attacks that would threaten them in return. Both Klefki and Thundurus have access to Prankster Thunder Wave, which helps with spreading paralysis so that Chansey can set up Substitute on faster foes. Stallbreakers like Gliscor, (Mega?) Gengar, and Talonflame can use Taunt to prevent opposing foes from using Substitute and phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind; Talonflame also appreciates Chansey's ability to take on bulky Water-types such as Suicune. Mega Gengar can also trap and helps with eliminating eliminate opposing Chansey, (RC) as well as being able to threaten Unaware Clefable with a powerful STAB move Sludge Bomb/Wave (pick the more common one).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options

=============

Stealth Rock is useful for breaking Focus Sash and can be used over Thunder Wave or Toxic if your team needs an entry hazard setter. Psychic prevents Chansey being completely walled by Gengar and will do decent amounts (seriously?) of damage to Fighting-types such as Breloom. Shadow Ball helps Chansey against Gengar and Aegislash, and it also happens to have more PP than Psychic, which is helpful due to Chansey's low Special Attack. Skill Swap can be used to gain momentum by stealing abilities such as Magic Bounce, Shadow Tag, and Prankster. It also helps cripple Suicune, Sylveon, and Gliscor by robbing them of their useful abilities. Counter is another option for Chansey to deal with physical attackers such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X when they lock themselves into Outrage. Protect can be used along with Toxic to help rack up extra chip damage. Aromatherapy is an option for Chansey, as her phenomenal bulk(space)makes her a decent cleric, but it isn't too common due to her other moves being more useful most of the time. Wish is a nice support move with Chansey's massive HP but is extremely difficult to acquire, as Chansey only has access to this move in the third generation.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Talonflame**: With access to both Taunt and Roost, Talonflame poses a huge threat to Chansey and can use the opportunity to quickly rack up Swords Dance boosts against her.

**Mega Sableye**: Due to Mega Sableye's ability access to Magic Bounce, Chansey cannot touch it at all unless running both Skill Swap and Toxic. Otherwise, Mega Sableye can freely set up Calm Mind on Chansey without much to fear.

**Taunt Users**: Chansey relies on her non-attacking moves to fulfill her role and is very vulnerable to Taunt due to her low Speed. Be aware of special attackers that might carry Taunt, such as Serperior and Thundurus.

**Knock Off and Trick Users**: Common Knock Off users such as Mega Mawile, Scizor, and Conkeldurr will severely cripple Chansey's ability to tank, as she is heavily dependent on Eviolite. Trick users such as Rotom-W, Latios, and Gothitelle, the latter of which can trap and eliminate Chansey, not only robs Chansey of her item Eviolite but also cripples her for the rest of the match. Common users include Rotom-W, Latios, and Gothitelle, the last of which can even trap Chansey.

**Substitute Users**: Common setup sweepers and Mega Pokemon Evolutions such as
(Mega) Alakazam, Mega Lopunny, and (Mega?) Gyarados might sometimes carry Substitute to avoid status ailments; and are therefore potential threats. Gyarados may even have Taunt.

**Fighting-types**: Despite Chansey's tanking capabilities, she is unable to take powerful STAB Fighting-type STAB attacks from foes such as Blaziken and Heracross. Heracross doesn't even mind status ailments much thanks to its ability Guts. (It's not exactly a fan of the residual damage or Speed drop, though.)

**Aegislash**: Aegislash can threaten both Chansey and Slowbro by virtue of its typing. Variants with Toxic and Substitute are especially dangerous, as due to the Chansey's low Speed of both Pokemon, Aegislash will be able to easily stall them her out. (But she has Natural Cure...)

**OHKO Moves**: Chansey is very vulnerable to OHKO moves, as she cannot be taken out easily by other means due to having reliable reliably recovery and excellent bulk. Pokemon with access to OHKO moves such as will have a chance to break Chansey instantly; examples include Gliscor, Mamoswine, Excadrill, Glalie, and Suicune have a chance to eliminate Chansey instantly.

**Mega Gengar**: Being a Ghost-type with access to Perish Song and Taunt, Mega Gengar is able to trap Chansey and then KO her through Perish Song or Struggle recoil, respectively depending on which move it's running, and due to Chansey's low Special Attack, (AC) she won't even be able to 3HKO Mega Gengar, (RC) even with a super effective move Psychic.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
Everything has been implemented!
Thanks to da legendary GP member Snobalt senpai this is now complete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)