Gen 3 Charizard use Belly Drum!

This is a rather old ADV team of mine that I’ve been wanting to post on Smogon for awhile. Since all the hype seems to be around D&P now, I assume now is as good a time as ever to post this!

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers ** Sparky
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Grass] / [Ice]
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
This Pokemon works great in conjunction with Charizard, as it can pass it a substitute, which is essentially a free switch in, or even better, he can get him in on a Choice Banded Earthquake, which often speels doom for my opponent.

Charizard (M) @ Salac Berry ** Zippo
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Flying]
You know what this does. It shouldn’t be too hard setting this bad boy up with all the support.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers ** Rose
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
I’d really much rather a cooler Pokemon, but oh well.

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers ** Happy
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Surf
- Wish
Wish support and Subpassing really help unify this team. Her bulky subs give Charizard an easier chance to come in and sweep, or Heracross if I really want to go down that route. Wish helps in the event I botch the first Belly Drum, and because my main physical wall lacks a healing move!

Regirock @ Leftovers ** Richie
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Counter
- Explosion / Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
I can’t help but wonder if this slot would be much better suited by a more standard Pokemon. On the other hand, Normal / Flying Resist and Twave support really make this guy unique. If Im using Focus Punch I can pass this subs from Vaporeon, and go head to head with Curselax.

Heracross (M) @ Leftovers ** Cruise
Trait: Guts
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
Subpassing and Focus Punch is the way to go. I once had Choice Band and Hidden Power Flying to help counter other Fighting types, but I really hate guessing as to whether my opponent’s going to bring in Gengar, or Skarmory. So I added Swords Dance to mess up both of them!

The main strategy here is to set up Charizard and sweep with Belly Drum. As I’ve outlined in my synopsis’ this team really Benefits from Subpassing, so I’ve added Vaporeon and Jolteon, who not only pass substitutes, they counter some of the major threats of this team. Regirock and Blissey cover a wide spectrum of threats and provide Thunder Wave support for Heracross.

Problem Pokes:
Gengar: Jolteon and Regirock can mess around with him, but Hypnosis + Focus Punch often spells doom for this team : [

Tyranitar: Its rather pathetic that my best counter takes up to ~50% from his most powerful attack. This is my number one problem imo.

Salamence: Shouldn’t be too hard, especially since Vaporeon can bluff Ice Beam. Regirock cripples any variant with Thunder Wave, and kills with it with Rock Slide.

Metagross: Regirock can counter it (literally I mean), and Vappy can sort of kill it with surf.
Medicham: Heracross .... : \

Snorlax: Regirock usually beats this, but he has trouble stopping him from fully Cursing.

Baton Pass Teams can be gay : [

Despite this teams’ common weaknesses, it can still be used quite effectively in an OU environment with proper prediction. And of course, the threat of Bellyzard is usually enough to compensate for this teams weak spots, once it gets rolling of course. :]

On a side note: sorry for any gramatical errors and possibly poor choice of wording. I was logged out by the time i had completed my original post, so I rushed through this one rather quickly : \

I would use a Metagross over Regirock. As long as you don't run into CBTars, it should give it a good fight, especially with Vaporeon's Wishing. With Metagross, you also won't fear Gengar as much and what it could do to you, as you can just easily Wish or Aromatherpy later, although same can be said for Regirock. Gross also works superbly behind a Sub.

Another suggestion could perhaps be Zapdos over Jolteon. Not as fast but IMO it's a lot sturdier. Also useful if they decide to IB you on the switch, which shouldn't break the sub against Charizard, especially if it's unstabed.

Too much of your team is easily walled, Vaporeon and Blissey both have only one attack, and Regice has to explode just to hurt something. Swampert does a number to your team. I think Thunder Wave should be replaced by Ice Beam on Blissey, because Gengar really fucks you, i know you are aware of that already, but that doesn't make the problem go away. Vaporeon could also use said Ice Beam, as without these two Ice Beams Salamence will rip you a new one. I don't like Heracross Focus Punching on your already limited team, because obviously all they have to do is attack.

To summarize, the core of your team has a lot of support, but no assistance... you can pass all the subs you want, but if your opponent's entire team is still healthy by the time charizard comes out, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)