ORAS OU Charizard X Bulky DD

Hi everyone, this is my first Smogon RMT and any support is welcomed.
It is built around a Fire/Dragon/Grass/Ice core using MegaZard X, Serperior and Kyurem-Black.

Team at a glance:

The sets:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Since this team is built around ZardX, Serperior and Kyurem Black. Let's start with the boss.

This is a relatively bulky MegaZard with DD to boost attack and speed and make it out speed anything outside of other boosts and priority. Flare Blitz as a standard STAB move for Zard but when you are not looking to really take recoil damage, or just to hit Fire resisted types extremely hard with the Tough Claws boost. Roost is there just to give longevity and to restore back to full health if rocks are still up.

The HP investment is to easily set up on Rotom-W as it spams Hydro Pumps. The speed investment is so you out speed Choice Scarfed Landorus-T with a jolly nature. And rest will go into attack just to make Zard hit as hard as possible with +1 attack Tough Claws boosted Flare Blitz or Dragon Claw.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Serperior is my stallbreaker. After 1 leaf storm HP fire has a 62.5% chance to OHKO and a 100% chance after rocks Leaf storm is a nasty plot but gets of damage aswell. Dragon pulse gives good coverage for Serperior along with HP Fire so that Serp covers every Pokemon except M-Altaria. Pretty standard Serperior EVs to hit as hard and fast as possible. Life orb to make Serperior hit hard and OHKO Skarmory after rocks.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt

Most people would be saying that I should run ice beam. The reason for that is because then I can run adamant Kyurem and outspeed a lot of Pokemon yet destroy with Outrage. Iron head is for fairys mainly Clefable and M-Diancie. Fusion Bolt does a lot of damage to bulky water types and OHKOs MegaZard Y. Zen Headbutt is a move I'm not sure on. I use it to take on Fighting types like Terrakion and Hawlucha but Outrage does the same amount of damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we have gone through the core of the team. Here is the rest of it:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

A tank chomp. He is my Stealth Rock setter and Physical Wall. The speed investment is to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and neutral base 70s such as Bisharp, Breloom and Skarmory. The defensive investment is mainly to tank most hits and hit the extremely hard back. Also Bisharps Sucker Punch and +2 will never OHKO Garchomp, who then can KO it with Earthquake. Rocky Helmet makes opponents who choose a contact move take 30% damage after Rough Skin.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

My spinner and Special tank. Excadrill does look odd with max HP and SpDef but it allows Drill to take quite a lot of special moves even super effective ones. Such as Clefables Flamethrower, Heatrans Lava Plume, Fire Blast from M-Altaria and Dracos all day long from Lati twins. Earthquake and Iron Head are Drills stabs. That do a lot of damage to Electric, Steel and Fairy types. Rapid Spin is to remove Hazards as Charizard particularly doesn't like Rocks. Mold Breaker is used to always get Toxics off against M-Sableye and M-Diancie and Leftovers to increase longevity and Toxic and Spin multiple times throughout the match.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

My extremely hard-hitting Keldeo. With a Specs boost Keldeo outspeeds or Speed ties with most of the meta game and completely obliterates them. Scald is a spammable STAB move whereas Hydro Pump is used to get extra damage boosting Hydro up to 165 BP and Scald to 120. Secret Sword is to wear down Chansey as it uses Defence instead of SpDef. And Icy Wind is use to OHKO Landorus-T and Dragonite after rocks and 2HKOs Lati twins after rocks damage.

Thank you for reading my first ever Smogon rate my team. It has worked well for me but I would like some feedback on how to make this team even better. :)

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Use Ice Beam on Kyurem-B instead of Zen Headbutt - as you said, a neutral Outrage is just as strong. And you can still outrun the same stuff with a Naughty or Lonely nature.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there WhatTheHack, this is a pretty solid squad overall, but there's a few things that I want to adjust. :]

Moveset Changes

Leftovers--->Choice Scarf: While Spdef Excadrill is certainly a viable set, this is an offensive team and all that set does is sap momentum, especially since you don't need Excadrill to set rocks. I recommend changing it to a more offensive set with Choice Scarf to outspeed significant threats to the team like Mega Diancie and kill them. Additionally, fast Rapid Spin means that you can get off Rapid Spin before something kills you.

Defensive---> Choice Scarf: As your team is constructed right now, Dragon Dance Zardx can absolutely obliterates your team at +1, and you lack any way of revenge killing it aside from Keldeo, which has to take north of 80% from Dragon Claw in order to check it. Therefore, I believe that you should change Garchomp to a Choice Scarf set in order to reliably revenge kill +1 DD Zardx (just don't let it setup past that lol). Obviously this will be weird because triple Scarfers is a wierd strategy to utilize, but your scarfers fulfill very important roles for your team, and I will be replacing Kyurem-Black later in the rate.

Pokemon Changes
--->
:
Currently, your team kinda keels over to opposing Keldeo, and Sand is quite a problem, so I recommend running Nasty Plot Baton+Pass Celebi on this team over Serperior in order to check both sand and Keldeo in one slot while also giving you a potential late game wincon vs bulkier teams by being able to pass +2 Special Attack into Keldeo to bust through common defensive cores late-game.

--->
:
As of right now, you have 3 offensive Dragon-types on your team with only Excadrill as a fairy resist, so I recommend adding specially defensive Stealth Rock Jirachi onto the team as a solid fairy resist that can also check several significant anti-offense mons that can hurt your team like Mega Alakazam and Mega Gardevoir. Additionally, this provides a way of giving Zardx a second chance of a sweep with healing wish and utility in Stealth Rock that allows you to run Scarf Chomp without sacrificing Rocks on your team. With this change, I recommend running Focus Blast>Icy Wind on Keldeo to deal with Manaphy, but that's mainly optional.

That should be it for changes, this team was pretty solid for a standard OU team, but it had certain flaws that you needed to get creative to solve without changing the structure of the team too much. Overall this was a good team with a few minor weaknesses, but it got a lot better after the tweaks imo. If you have questions about any of the changes or notice weaknesses that have opened up the team, then please feel free to reply to this post or tag me.
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Don't you think that that would be quite a lot of choice items, 2 scarfer 1 specs.

I definitely Jirachi is a brilliant addition to the team. But I do not think that Kyurem is the mon to replace.

I tried using Jirachi instead of my tank chomp. It really hasn't been missed.

Serperior being a stallbreaker it is nice to have it running Taunt to destroy Wish passers or Stall teams in general. + If Celebi is faster than the opposing Pokemon. The Pokemon being baton passed will have to take a huge chunk of damage which is not very good for my team.

I will be using ScarfDrill in my team for a bit and I will let you know how it works out. :]

Thank you for replying.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man really cool drag spam team, first thing ive notice is your team lack speed control bar Kyurem-B which is pressured by hazards, so make it not so viable. Another issue i found is you have no switches for Keldeo which is a prominent threat in OU that you should prepare for. I personally think a drag spam team should have a couple resist for opposing dragon and fairies, and last a solid revenge killer. Id give you some suggestions that might help ur squad:
  • First as i said you scarf kyub isnt that good for its hazard weakness, insted i think Latios > kyub give you more in term of support. Latios is a solid keldeo answer, and also would help you with hazard control, as Defog is more solid than rapid spin with all the Mega sableye running around is hard to get the spin off. Surf on Latios allow you to lure heatran for Zard X.
  • Another change is Scarf keldeo > Specs, Scarf keld is a better revenge killer than kyub, and give you a better speed control.
  • Having a defoger now, exca makes no sense here, so Jirachi > Exca is a better fairy answer and has the ability to pivot around. Toxic on rachi would help ypu to wear down things like Slowbro and Talonflame more easy. Also give you HW support just in case zard needs another chance or bisharp.
  • Last is replacing Bisharp > Serp, Bisharp pressure bulky psychic like slowbro and with its strong priority can fuction as revenge killer as well, specially against mons like Excadrill under sand.
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Surf
- Roost

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Sword Dance / Grass Knot (only if you see way to many quags)
Hope i help u gl

DennisEG I really like the idea of Latios > Kyurem Black so I will test this out and see how it goes.

I will probably not use Bisharp and Serperior has proven to be really useful against normal Sableyes, Chanseys, Wish passing Clefs and setup sweepers.

I have also noticed the weakness to Zard X at +1 so I am using unaware clefable to avoid the OHKO and do lots of damage to him in return.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Here is the team as of all the changes:
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Toxic

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)