Charizard Y VGC Team

12/06/13 - Edits have been made from comments people have made. Thank you guys!

Charizard
Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
252 Sp Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Heat Wave
Protect
Air Slash
Solar Beam

Using him as a lead. Mega-Evolving first and then attacking accordingly. I have a hard time with Rock Slides but other than that he leads the team really well. Since Garchomp/Salemance is such a used pokemon, should I consider putting on hidden power ice in replace for Solar beam? Or maybe change the Air slash since there are not many fighting types out there at the moment and only fighting/dark types that go down with a simple earthquake.

Venusaur
Chlorophyll
Black Sludge
Modest Nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Giga Drain
Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Protect

Depending on the Chlorophyll and the Nature + EVs to let Venusaur go first. There to support Charizard Y and try to get at least two attacks off. Venusaur is very fast in the sun, and I use that to my advantage to hopefuly OHKO or put to sleep one of the opponents pokemon. Thinking about replacing it with a Trevenant with Harvest so he can spam the sitrus berry. I am a little worried with changing timid to modest because Venusaurs speed is really what makes him great in VGC this year, in my opinion.

Garchomp
Rough Skin
Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Protect
Dragon Claw
Rock Slide

There to take out any pokemon who want to hurt my Charizard. Really good late game and use Earthquake whenever I can put my Charizard or Gengar out onto the field. I sometimes use him to take place for contact moves but other than that he is just a replacement pokemon. Should I change him for another dragon type? He is so over used it is not funny and I am thinking a Dragonite maybe be a better fit with its extremespeed and earthquake.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Thick Fat
Adament Nature
252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Earthquake
Pursuit
Wild Charge
Return

A team member recommended by the user Copes. I have yet to try it out but I think the assault vest will really come in handy for Snorlax.

Cloyster
Skill Link
Choice Scarf
Adament Nature
68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Razor Shell
Explosion

Used to counter the ever so popular dragon types. Really a glass cannon type of pokemon and only substitutes Gengar if I see the opponents have a dragon type. I don't know why I have explosion but I just copied and pasted this set from Smogon ( thanks guys ). If anyone has a better idea for a dragon counter I am all ears. And should I change my moves at all? Because I seem to only be using icicle spear for all attacks.

Gengar
Levitation
Choice Specs
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Sludge Bomb
Focus Blast

If Cloyster is not needed, I put in my Gengar. Really good special attack, just that he needs to be able to attack first otherwise he dies really quickly. The only reason I do not have Choice Scarf on him is because Cloyster already has it. He dies more often than he kills, so I may need to replace him but I do not know with who. My first thought is Rotom, but I am afraid since everyone uses Rotom that other teams will have counters for him.

Thank you for looking at it. I would really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
I am going to pull my first bump now. If anyone can help that would be great. Also please tell me what I should add to the descriptions if they need to be longer.

Descriptions are fine. Venusaur does not need Timid, Gengar should probably be though. What does the speed on that Talonflame beat?

There to take out any pokemon who want to hurt my Charizard
lol

I use a very, very, very similar team. As in, 4 / 6 are the same, and I've said many times I need to breed a Garchomp.

Just some things to think about. Not saying that mine or yours is better. In fact, I like quite a bit of your team more. Gengar especially. (I use a Sub-Disable Gengar w/ Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, although I think I'll likely switch that to Focus Blast). My team grew from my Singles team, and so a few of my Mons aren't optimized for Doubles (Charizard, Gengar).

I don't think you need Venusaur to be Timid. I have had a pile of success with Modest Venusaur using the same EV Spread. He hits hard, and still beats most things in sun. I use Roar instead of Protect. I find Sleep Powder / Roar lets me alter the ultimate team quite well for Char-Y's sweep. Again, its a preference thing, but I like it.

I would change Air Slash on Charizard. Focus Blast is likely your best coverage option.

I have the same Cloyster set, but with Shell Smash over Explosion (and obviously not a choice item). If you can get a Shell Smash off, Cloyster has one of the most dangerous sweeps around. The three moves you have seem to be the best for coverage, but Icicle Spear will undoubtedly be the one used most. Don't knock Rock Blast though. Talonflame crumples even when its not boosted. Your Choice Scarf obviously prevents you from running a Shell Smash set. I use King's Rock for hopeful flinches, and run Jolly.

If you do want to replace your Talonflame, I've had some success with an Assault Vest Snorlax on this team.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Thick Fat
Adament Nature
252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Earthquake
Pursuit
Wild Charge
Return

Provides a lot of coverage with move types the other members lack, and soaks up Special Moves like nothing. It's amazing how little his HP Bar moves if you switch him into a predicted Fire / Ice attack.

My only problem with focus blast on my Charizard is that it just doesn't hit when I want it to, and air slash is more reliable and gets the STAB. I think I will be sticking with choice scarf on Cloyster simply because I want to make sure he destroys at least one dragon type. If he doesn't then he was a waste to use. I ill be trying out the Snorlax and will report if it is a good fit for my team. Thank you for the suggestion!

Always warms my heart to see a team with Scarf Cloyster. I'm not too keen on committing the time for a full rate at the moment, but I do have a quick tip for your Cloyster spread. The spread you're using is designed to get Cloyster to hit 120 speed, or 180 with a Choice Scarf, one point higher than Base 111's 179. Since the genies at 111 and Latios at 110 are gone, you might want to switch to a spread of 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd. This lets you hit 114 speed, which outspeeds Jolly Garchomp and anything slower with your Choice Scarf equipped.

Always warms my heart to see a team with Scarf Cloyster. I'm not too keen on committing the time for a full rate at the moment, but I do have a quick tip for your Cloyster spread. The spread you're using is designed to get Cloyster to hit 120 speed, or 180 with a Choice Scarf, one point higher than Base 111's 179. Since the genies at 111 and Latios at 110 are gone, you might want to switch to a spread of 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd. This lets you hit 114 speed, which outspeeds Jolly Garchomp and anything slower with your Choice Scarf equipped.
Thank you very much. I just copied the team from Smogon so I didn't really know what I was doing.

Very solid from what I can tell. Garchomp I would definetly replace for Dragonite, Garchomp hits like a truck sure but Dragonite has surprising bulk with Multiscale and he has Roost to boot. Extremespeed is always nice to win priority wars or to not get completely shutdown by Trick Room. Dragonite can also be used in many different ways so if you need some holes to be filled in your team he can be build to fill them.

Charizard Y likes to have Dragon Pulse. It gives you a good fighting chance against Dragons who easily wall Heat Wave/Solar Beam and gives great neutral coverage. Losing a SE attack against Fighting is a problem as most will carry Rock type moves to deal with Flying types, but a good partner (Gengar can learn Psychic/Dazzling Gleam if you're really worried about them) combined with Charizard Y's enormous power should be more than sufficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)