UU Chesnaught

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

QC: dodmen / IronBullet93 / Calloflochie
GP: frenzyplant / Winry.

Overview
########

Chesnaught is one of the best defensive Spikers in the tier. It boasts a base 122 Defense stat and has access to support moves such as Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, letting it take on many physical threats very well. Bulletproof makes it immune to moves such as Sludge Bomb that would normally put a big dent into it, allowing it to shut down threats such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire and Chandelure locked into Shadow Ball. All those aside, Chesnaught is slow and has a poor Special Defense stat, so many decently fast special attackers can threaten it out.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Leech Seed / Synthesis
move 3: Spiky Shield / Roar
move 4: Drain Punch / Wood Hammer
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Spikes is very important, as it is one of the main reasons to use Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. The second moveslot is a toss-up between two forms of recovery. Leech Seed gives more passive recovery while wearing foes down. Synthesis, on the other hand, gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do as well as gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically. An option over Spiky Shield is Roar, which prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to some Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon such as Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs with an Impish nature maximize Chesnaught's physical bulk, taking advantage of its naturally high Defense stat. Leftovers is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Rocky Helmet is also a good item, as it allows Chesnaught to punish physical attackers that it switches into. Bulletproof should be run 100% of the time, as it allows Chesnaught to take on Pokemon that would normally threaten it, such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Try going for Spikes or a Leech Seed on predicted switches to gradually wear the opponent's Pokemon down. If you choose to run Synthesis, use it whenever Chesnaught is getting low on HP so that it can constantly take on physical attackers and set up more layers of Spikes. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout what the foe is going to do, especially those that run a Choice item. If you are able to predict a switch into a Pokemon that is relatively safe such as a Crobat or a Gligar, use Roar to rack up entry hazard damage on opposing Pokemon while not allowing them to Defog for free. It also can be used against Pokemon such as Suicune that try to use Chesnaught as setup fodder. Do note that although Chesnaught is very physically bulky, it can get worn down easily by strong physical attacks such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, especially if you are not running Synthesis.

Team Options
========

Empoleon is a good partner, as it can set up Stealth Rock while Chesnaught sets up Spikes. It also takes Psychic-, Flying- and Poison-type moves that are aimed at Chesnaught. Clerics such as Florges, Vaporeon, and Blissey can help get rid of the status ailments that Chesnaught typically has trouble with while at the same time sponging special hits that target Chesnaught's low Special Defense stat. If you choose not to run Synthesis, Chesnaught is easily worn down, so a Rapid Spin user is appreciated to get rid of entry hazards on your side of the field.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

Spikes take advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. Leech Seed gives additional passive recovery while wearing opposing Pokemon down. If you would rather opt for a more reliable form of recovery, Synthesis is your best option. Spiky Shield damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically and allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do and gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. Roar can be run over Spiky Shield to prevent Chesnaught from being setup fodder to certain Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. Drain Punch is a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, while Wood Hammer is a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon such as Empoleon and Swampert from setting up Stealth Rock and preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Chesnaught's special bulk, giving it good mixed defenses, which allows it to more effectively check Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Roserade, and Mega Ampharos. Leftovers gives Chesnaught passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed if you choose to run them. Always run Bulletproof to allow Chesnaught it to take on more threats.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout for what move the opposing Pokemon is going to use, which helps against Choice-locked Pokemon. Use Roar on predicted switches into Defoggers such as Crobat and Gligar to prevent them from Defogging for free. Using it against strong special attackers such as Chandelure as they come in is a good idea as well. Note that even with maximum HP and Special Defense investment, Chesnaught is not going to appreciate taking really powerful special hits, so avoid switching it directly into moves such as a Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or a Chandelure, unless it is Choice-locked into anything but a Fire-type move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can also use other clerics such as Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though.

Fast Taunt
########
name: Fast Taunt
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Leech Seed / Synthesis / Roar
evs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 Spe

Moves
========

Spikes takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up multiple layers. Taunt stops opposing Pokemon from using a variety of support moves, including Defog, entry hazard moves of their own, Wish, status moves, and setup. The third moveslot is up to preference. Leech Seed gets more passive recovery while wearing foes down, and Synthesis gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Roar prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to faster Pokemon, especially Substitute users, but limits Chesnaught's recovery to just Leftovers. On the last slot, Drain Punch is a good reliable Fighting-type STAB move that helps Chesnaught regain some HP lost. For more power, Wood Hammer is a fine option as a Grass-type STAB move at the cost of some recoil damage.

Set Details
========

172 Speed EVs are used to outspeed and Taunt uninvested Cresselia, Suicune, and Gligar, preventing the former two from setting up and the last from using Defog or Stealth Rock. It also stops all three of the aforementioned Pokemon from recovering back any HP lost. HP is then maxed out, and the remaining EVs are invested into Defense to still maintain good physical bulk. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe can be used to outspeed up to uninvested Florges while still outspeeding standard Jellicent, Vaporeon, Umbreon, and Alomomola. Even more Speed can be invested in to outspeed specially defensive Roserade and defensive Arcanine, requiring 228 and 252 Speed EVs, respectively. A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel. Leftovers is run to give more passive recovery, which is especially effective if you are running Leech Seed. Bulletproof is chosen to grant immunity to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb that Chesnaught would normally not appreciate getting hit by.

Usage Tips
========

Try setting up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when Chesnaught does not have a lot of HP to avoid being worn down. If you choose to run Roar, use it on switches to fast Defog and Rapid Spin users such as Crobat and Tentacruel, respectively, to prevent entry hazard removal, as Taunt from Chesnaught cannot deal with these. Also, try to avoid revealing Taunt too early. It is best to use it when the foe is low on HP and needs to recover, or if setting up entry hazards or Defogging is an extremely obvious move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but other clerics such as Florges and Umbreon also work as partners. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though. A teammate that can handle fast Defog users would be handy, particularly Crobat, which is the most common one and can easily threaten Chesnaught out. Rhyperior is a good partner for that reason and is also able to set up Stealth Rock alongside Chesnaught's Spikes. Setup sweepers such as Lucario appreciate Chesnaught's Spikes-stacking and prevention of a slow Defog. They also benefit from walls being unable to recover back any HP lost.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be run to wear down opposing walls and rack up serious residual damage in conjunction with Leech Seed. Stone Edge hits incoming Flying-types such as Crobat that would normally have a safe switch into Chesnaught, as well as hitting Fire-type switch-ins harder. Earthquake also hits all the Fire-types in the tier except for Rotom-H while hitting Steel-types, which is useful if you are not running Drain Punch. Super Fang is handy to wear Pokemon down at a faster rate, especially opposing walls. Chesnaught's Attack stat is reasonably good, so it can also make good use of an offensive Spiker set. When its Attack is maximized and it is holding a Life Orb, Chesnaught is able to severely damage one of its biggest counters in Crobat, OHKOing it after Stealth Rock. An offensive set with Bulk Up is definitely viable as well. Chesnaught also has Belly Drum in its movepool, but does not have the Speed or the priority to utilize it effectively without the proper support.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: Flying-types resist both of the commonly run offensive moves on Chesnaught and can threaten it out with a 4x super effective move. Crobat in particular can Defog freely when switching into any of Chesnaught's moves except Taunt and Roar.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Entei, threaten Chesnaught with their STAB moves. Chandelure in particular is a threat, as it resists one of Chesnaught's STAB types and is immune to the other. Frailer Fire-types such as Darmanitan need to be careful of getting worn down by Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Flare Blitz recoil.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, so they can be a pain to deal with. Shaymin can hit Chesnaught hard with Air Slash, Psychic, or Dazzling Gleam, while Trevenant can take both of Chesnaught's STAB moves and burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Status Ailments**: Chesnaught does not mind paralysis, but it loathes burns and poison. Chesnaught also has no way of getting rid of status ailments on its own, so both will gradually wear it down. Toxic poison makes it unable to stay in for too long at a time, while burns reduce its offensive presence.

**Taunt**: Most of Chesnaught's viable moves are support ones. After it is Taunted, the opponent usually gets a free switch into a Pokemon that resists its common offensive moves, such as Crobat.

**Strong Special Attackers**: With a physically defensive spread, Chesnaught is frail on the special side, so avoid letting it take special attacks. Even with a specially defensive spread, strong special attacks severely damage it.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but I feel like the slashes could be rearranged as follows:

Synthesis
Spikes / Spiky Shield
Leech Seed / Drain Punch
Wood Hammer / Drain Punch

Yes I know for the most part your setup follows the slashes on the original analysis but I think Synthesis might be Chesnaught's overall most important move because it's reliable guaranteed recovery to keep it in the game, which allows it to also safely recover HP when faced against a Grass-type, something it can't do nearly as well even if it chooses to only run Leech Seed + Spiky Shield + Drain Punch together. Spikes slashed with Spiky Shield because I feel setting Spikes to benefit your offensive teammates is more important than scouting the opponent/making them hurt themself. Don't get me wrong cause Spiky Shield is a wonderful move but I don't think it's entirely necessary to thrive in the meta, nor should it really be opted over your prime means of recovery. The rest of the slashes are basically up to how you want to play Chesnaught, a combo of Leech Seed + Wood Hammer lets it be more annoying while still checking bulky waters while Leech Seed + Drain Punch is the "Lemme suck yo HP" recovery package, with Drain Punch + Wood Hammer being the ultimate in hitting as much as possible.

IF, and that's a big IF QC actually favors this setup you could probably make a mention that using Spiky Shield + Leech Seed > Synthesis is an option in Set Details, if you still wish to use the combo alongside the move Spikes, and that if you run Leech Seed you'll generally want to use Spiky Shield alongside it.

You could also probably post a SpD variant of this set with the exact same moves listed and a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD Careful. (Far as I know analyses now have to separate all phys. def/spec. def sets of a Pokemon even if they play the exact same way) SpD Chesnaught can be used to more effectively check Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Roserade, and Mega Ampharos than the Phys. Def set, which are all pretty noteworthy Pokemon.

Eyan

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but I feel like the slashes could be rearranged as follows:

Synthesis
Spikes / Spiky Shield
Leech Seed / Drain Punch
Wood Hammer / Drain Punch

Yes I know for the most part your setup follows the slashes on the original analysis but I think Synthesis might be Chesnaught's overall most important move because it's reliable guaranteed recovery to keep it in the game, which allows it to also safely recover HP when faced against a Grass-type, something it can't do nearly as well even if it chooses to only run Leech Seed + Spiky Shield + Drain Punch together. Spikes slashed with Spiky Shield because I feel setting Spikes to benefit your offensive teammates is more important than scouting the opponent/making them hurt themself. Don't get me wrong cause Spiky Shield is a wonderful move but I don't think it's entirely necessary to thrive in the meta, nor should it really be opted over your prime means of recovery. The rest of the slashes are basically up to how you want to play Chesnaught, a combo of Leech Seed + Wood Hammer lets it be more annoying while still checking bulky waters while Leech Seed + Drain Punch is the "Lemme suck yo HP" recovery package, with Drain Punch + Wood Hammer being the ultimate in hitting as much as possible.

IF, and that's a big IF QC actually favors this setup you could probably make a mention that using Spiky Shield + Leech Seed > Synthesis is an option in Set Details, if you still wish to use the combo alongside the move Spikes, and that if you run Leech Seed you'll generally want to use Spiky Shield alongside it.

You could also probably post a SpD variant of this set with the exact same moves listed and a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD Careful. (Far as I know analyses now have to separate all phys. def/spec. def sets of a Pokemon even if they play the exact same way) SpD Chesnaught can be used to more effectively check Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Roserade, and Mega Ampharos than the Phys. Def set, which are all pretty noteworthy Pokemon.
I do agree with your move order, since there are times I wish I had both STABs. But I'll get more feedback on that. I will definitely post a SpD variant since I like the Hippowdon-like bulk Chesnaught has.

Last edited:

Eyan

Moving into QC to get more feedback. Mind the grammar errors I may have missed.

What you've got so far is very good, I'd say put Spikes at the top of each set because that's the biggest reason to use Chesnaught. I would actually move Roar from other options into its main sets too because Chesnaught is a really good user of the move, racking up Spikes damage (and SR damage on Crobat which is huge) and phazing things like Suicune.

Spikes
Leech Seed / Synthesis
Spiky Shield / Roar
Drain Punch / Wood Hammer

Something like that, although other QC members' input would be great cause I'm not the best at slashing moves. As a defensive Spiker, Chesnaught shouldn't need to run two STABs especially because it's hard-pressed enough for moveslots as it is, so I think just slashing them both in the last slot is good enough. Leech Seed + Spiky Shield is good, Synthesis + Roar is also good.

Another thing I would like to see on this analysis is a fast Chesnaught with Taunt. The moveset would be something like:

Spikes
Taunt
Leech Seed / Synthesis / Roar

with enough speed to outrun something you can catch with a taunt like 0 Speed Suicune/Cress/Gligar (needs 172 speed for this). This is a pretty underrated set, feel free to play around with it on PS! to see what moves/EVs work well on it. Taunt should also at least be mentioned in "Moves" for the other sets as well, if not be slashed in the moveset somewhere.

Eyan

What you've got so far is very good, I'd say put Spikes at the top of each set because that's the biggest reason to use Chesnaught. I would actually move Roar from other options into its main sets too because Chesnaught is a really good user of the move, racking up Spikes damage (and SR damage on Crobat which is huge) and phazing things like Suicune.

Spikes
Leech Seed / Synthesis
Spiky Shield / Roar

Something like that, although other QC members' input would be great cause I'm not the best at slashing moves. As a defensive Spiker, Chesnaught shouldn't need to run two STABs especially because it's hard-pressed enough for moveslots as it is, so I think just slashing them both in the last slot is good enough. Leech Seed + Spiky Shield is good, Synthesis + Roar is also good.

Another thing I would like to see on this analysis is a fast Chesnaught with Taunt. The moveset would be something like:

Spikes
Taunt
Leech Seed / Synthesis / Roar

with enough speed to outrun something you can catch with a taunt like 0 Speed Suicune/Cress/Gligar (needs 172 speed for this). This is a pretty underrated set, feel free to play around with it on PS! to see what moves/EVs work well on it. Taunt should also at least be mentioned in "Moves" for the other sets as well, if not be slashed in the moveset somewhere.
thanks for the feedback and updated.

Excellent, last few things. The last bullet point for Usage Tips for the fast taunter set is not relevant. Also mention how more investment can be placed into speed and it can even use aJolly Nature to outspeed faster things like defensive Roserade, defensive Arcanine, and other things like that. EQ should be mentioned in other options to catch Fire and Steel types.

Providing that these are implemented, QC 1/3, looks great.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Put Bulk Up in Other Options, Chesnaught has a beefy Attack stat so an offensive set is viable. It even gets Belly Drum so that should also be mentioned but state that it lacks the speed or priority to utilise it effectively. Great work, QC 2/3

Everything looks ok. The only thing I would add is to the Other Options. Chesnaught has a pretty surprising Attack Stat and can make great use of that through a set that joey posted. Basically, Stone Edge should be mentioned because it hits Chesnaught's hardest 'counter' for huge damage and OHKOes if invested after rocks. Also throw in a mention of Belly Drum in OO too while it is niche, I have seen my friends use it and can certainly say it does work :]

Once that is done QC 3/3

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (eomments)

Overview
########

Chesnaught is one of the best defensive Spikers in the tier. It boasts a base 122 Defense stat and has access to support moves such as Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, letting. This allows it to take on many physical threats very well. Bulletproof makes it immune to moves such as Sludge Bomb that would normally put a big dent into it, allowing so this ability allows Chesnaught it to shut down more threats such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire and Chandelure locked into Shadow Ball. All those aside, Chesnaught is slow and has a poor Special Defense stat, so such that many decently fast special attackers that are decently fast can threaten it out.

Physically Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important, as it is one of the main reasons to use Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up hazards. The second moveslot is a toss-up between two forms of recovery. Leech Seed gives more passive recovery while wearing foes opponents (opponent = human player, foe/enemy/target = Pokemon) down. Synthesis, on the other hand, gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do, (remove comma) as well as gaining more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages opponents foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically on the physical side (there are no "sides"). An option over Spiky Shield is Roar, which prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to some Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot would depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also helps to get more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable move which option that prevents slower Pokemon like Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught as well as stop and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Max HP and Defense EVs with an Impish nature maximizes Chesnaught's physical bulk, taking advantage of its naturally high Defense stat. Leftovers are ran is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Rocky Helmet is also a good item, (comma) as it allows Chesnaught to punish physical attackers that it switches into, such as on an incoming Knock Off or U-Turn. Bulletproof should be ran run 100% of the time, (comma) as it allows Chesnaught to take on Pokemon that would normally threaten it, (comma) such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Try going for Spikes or a Leech Seed on predicted switches to gradually wear the opponent's Pokemon down. If you choose to run Synthesis, use it whenever Chesnaught is getting low on HP, (remove comma) so that it can constantly take on physical attackers and set up more layers of Spikes. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout what the opponent foe is going to do, especially those that run a Choice item. If you are able to predict a switch into something relatively safe like a Crobat or a Gligar, use Roar to rack up entry hazards damage on opposing Pokemon while not allowing them to Defog for free. It also can be used against things such as Suicune that try to use Chesnaught as setup fodder. Do note that although Chesnaught is very physically bulky, it can get worn down easily by strong physical attacks such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, especially if you are not running Synthesis.

Team Options
========

Empoleon is a good partner, (comma) as it can set up Stealth Rock while Chesnaught sets up Spikes. It also takes Psychic- (dash), Flying- (dash) and Poison-type moves that are aimed at Chesnaught. Clerics like Florges, Vaporeon and Blissey can help get rid of the status ailments that Chesnaught typically has trouble with, while at the same time sponging special hits that target Chesnaught's low Special Defense stat. If you choose not to run Synthesis, Chesnaught is easily worn down, so a Rapid Spin user is appreciated to get rid of hazards on your side of the field.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important when using Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up hazards. Leech Seed gives additional passive recovery while wearing opponents opposing Pokemon down. If you would rather opt for a more reliable form of recovery, Synthesis would be is your best option. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do, (remove comma) as well as gaining more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages opponents foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically on the physical side. Roar can be run ran over Spiky Shield, preventing Chesnaught from being setup fodder to certain Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot would depend on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting STAB that also helps to get more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass STAB with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable move which prevents slower Pokemon like Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from defogging away your hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught as well as stop Blissey from using any of its support moves. (this is an exact copypaste from the first moves, so copypaste your changes)

Set Details
========

Max HP and Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximizes Chesnaught's special bulk, giving it good mixed defenses wall stats. Leftovers are ran is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Always run Bulletproof as the ability of choice to allow it Chesnaught to take on more threats in the metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon the opponent down. Assuming you are running Synthesis, use it Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. It is smart to Use Spiky Shield at times to scout for what move the opposing Pokemon is going to use, which helps against Choice-locked Pokemon. Use Roar on predicted switches into things Defoggers like Crobat and Gligar to prevent them from Defogging for free. Using it against strong special attackers like Chandelure coming in is a good idea as well. Note that even with max HP and Special Defense investment, Chesnaught is not going to appreciate taking really powerful special hits, so avoid switching it directly into things like a Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or a Chandelure, unless it is Choice-locked into anything but a Fire-type move. (remove parentheses)

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- (dash) and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can also use along with others like Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, (comma) though.

Fast Taunter
########
name: Fast Taunter

Moves
========

Spikes is important as it takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up multiple layers. Taunt stops a opposing Pokemon from using a variety of support moves, including Defog, entry hazard moves which includes defogging, getting up hazards of their own, Wish passing, using status moves, and setup setting up. The third moveslot is up to preference. Leech Seed gets more passive recovery while wearing opponents foes down. Synthesis gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Roar prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to faster Pokemon, especially Substitute users, but. This, however, limits Chesnaught's recovery to just Leftovers. On the last slot, Drain Punch is a good reliable Fighting-type STAB move that helps Chesnaught regain some HP lost. For more power, Wood Hammer is a fine option as a Grass-type STAB move (remove comma) at the cost of some recoil damage.

Set Details
========

172 Speed EVs are used to outspeed and Taunt 0 Speed uninvested Cresselia, Suicune, and Gligar, preventing the former two This prevents the former 2 from setting up and the latter last from using Defog or Stealth Rock. It also stops all three of the aforementioned Pokemon from recovering back any HP lost. HP is then maxed out, (comma) and the remainder is invested into Defense to still maintain good physical bulk. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe can be used to outspeed up to 0 Speed uninvested Florges, (remove comma) while still outspeeding standard Jellicent, Vaporeon, Umbreon, (comma) and Alomomola. Even more Speed can be invested to outspeed specially defensive Roserade and defensive Arcanine, requiring 228 and 252 Speed EVs respectively. A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel. Leftovers is ran run to give more passive recovery, which is especially effective if you are running Leech Seed. Bulletproof is chosen to grant immunity to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb that Chesnaught would normally not appreciate.

Usage Tips
========

Try setting up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear the opponent opposing Pokemon down. Assuming you're running Synthesis, Use it Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. If you choose to run Roar, use it on switches switchins to fast Defog users like Crobat or Rapid Spin users like Tentacruel to prevent hazard removal, (comma) as Taunt from Chesnaught cannot deal with these. Also, try to avoid revealing Taunt too early. It is best to use it when the opponent foe is low on HP and needs to recover, or if setting up entry hazards / Defogging is an extremely obvious move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- (dash) and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, along with but you can still use others like Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, (comma) though. Something that can handle fast Defog users would be handy, in particularly Crobat, (comma) which is the most common one and can easily threaten Chesnaught out. Rhyperior is a good partner for that reason and it is also able to set up Stealth Rock alongside Chesnaught's Spikes. Setup sweepers like Lucario appreciate Chesnaught's Spikes-stacking and prevention of a slow Defog. They also benefit from walls being unable to recover back any HP lost.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be run ran on Chesnaught to wear down opposing walls and rack up serious residual damage in conjunction with Leech Seed. Stone Edge hits incoming Flying-types like Crobat that would normally have a safe switch into against Chesnaught, as well as hitting Fire-type switch-ins harder. Earthquake also hits all the incoming Fire-types in the tier except for Rotom-Heat, (remove comma) while at the same time hitting Steel-types, which is useful if you are not running Drain Punch. Super Fang is handy to wear things down at a faster rate, especially opposing walls. Chesnaught's Attack stat is reasonably good, so it can also make good use of an offensive Spiker set. When invested in max attack with an Adamant nature, as well as its Attack is maximized and it is holding a Life Orb, Chesnaught is able to severely damage one of its biggest counters in Crobat, and OHKOing it after Stealth Rock. An offensive set with Bulk Up is definitely viable as well. Chesnaught even also has Belly Drum in its movepool but does not have the Speed nor or the priority to utilize it effectively without the proper support.

Checks & Counters
########
(these need colons)
**Flying-types**: These Flying-types resist both of the commonly run offensive moves on Chesnaught and can threaten it out with a 4x super effective move. Crobat in particular can Defog freely when switching into any of Chesnaught's moves except Taunt and Roar.

**Fire-types**: These Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Entei, threaten Chesnaught with their STAB moves. Chandelure in particular is a threat, as it resists one of Chesnaught's STAB types and is immune to the other. Frailer ones like Darmanitan need to be careful of switching into a Leech Seed and getting worn down by Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Flare Blitz recoil.

**Grass-types**: These Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, so they and can be a pain to deal with. Shaymin can hit it hard with Air Slash, Psychic, or Dazzling Gleam / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam, while Trevenant can takes both of Chesnaught's STAB moves and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Status Ailments**: Chesnaught does not mind paralysis, but it loathes burns and poisons. Chesnaught also has no way of getting rid of them on its own, (comma) so both will gradually wear it down. Toxic poison makes it unable to stay in for too long at a time, (comma) while burns a Burn would reduce its offensive presence.

**Taunt**: Most of Chesnaught's viable moves are support ones. After being it is Taunted, the opponent it is usually gets a free switch into something like Crobat that resists its common offensive moves.

**Strong Special Attackers**: With the a physically defensive spread, Chesnaught is frail on the special side, (comma) so avoid letting it take special attacks. Even with a specially defensive spread, strong special attacks would still severely damage it.

Eyan

1/2 :)

add remove (eomments)

Overview
########

Chesnaught is one of the best defensive Spikers in the tier. It boasts a base 122 Defense stat and has access to support moves such as Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, letting. This allows it to take on many physical threats very well. Bulletproof makes it immune to moves such as Sludge Bomb that would normally put a big dent into it, allowing so this ability allows Chesnaught it to shut down more threats such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire and Chandelure locked into Shadow Ball. All those aside, Chesnaught is slow and has a poor Special Defense stat, so such that many decently fast special attackers that are decently fast can threaten it out.

Physically Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important, as it is one of the main reasons to use Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up hazards. The second moveslot is a toss-up between two forms of recovery. Leech Seed gives more passive recovery while wearing foes opponents (opponent = human player, foe/enemy/target = Pokemon) down. Synthesis, on the other hand, gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do, (remove comma) as well as gaining more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages opponents foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically on the physical side (there are no "sides"). An option over Spiky Shield is Roar, which prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to some Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot would depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also helps to get more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable move which option that prevents slower Pokemon like Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught as well as stop and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Max HP and Defense EVs with an Impish nature maximizes Chesnaught's physical bulk, taking advantage of its naturally high Defense stat. Leftovers are ran is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Rocky Helmet is also a good item, (comma) as it allows Chesnaught to punish physical attackers that it switches into, such as on an incoming Knock Off or U-Turn. Bulletproof should be ran run 100% of the time, (comma) as it allows Chesnaught to take on Pokemon that would normally threaten it, (comma) such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Try going for Spikes or a Leech Seed on predicted switches to gradually wear the opponent's Pokemon down. If you choose to run Synthesis, use it whenever Chesnaught is getting low on HP, (remove comma) so that it can constantly take on physical attackers and set up more layers of Spikes. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout what the opponent foe is going to do, especially those that run a Choice item. If you are able to predict a switch into something relatively safe like a Crobat or a Gligar, use Roar to rack up entry hazards damage on opposing Pokemon while not allowing them to Defog for free. It also can be used against things such as Suicune that try to use Chesnaught as setup fodder. Do note that although Chesnaught is very physically bulky, it can get worn down easily by strong physical attacks such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, especially if you are not running Synthesis.

Team Options
========

Empoleon is a good partner, (comma) as it can set up Stealth Rock while Chesnaught sets up Spikes. It also takes Psychic- (dash), Flying- (dash) and Poison-type moves that are aimed at Chesnaught. Clerics like Florges, Vaporeon and Blissey can help get rid of the status ailments that Chesnaught typically has trouble with, while at the same time sponging special hits that target Chesnaught's low Special Defense stat. If you choose not to run Synthesis, Chesnaught is easily worn down, so a Rapid Spin user is appreciated to get rid of hazards on your side of the field.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important when using Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up hazards. Leech Seed gives additional passive recovery while wearing opponents opposing Pokemon down. If you would rather opt for a more reliable form of recovery, Synthesis would be is your best option. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do, (remove comma) as well as gaining more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages opponents foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically on the physical side. Roar can be run ran over Spiky Shield, preventing Chesnaught from being setup fodder to certain Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot would depend on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting STAB that also helps to get more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass STAB with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable move which prevents slower Pokemon like Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from defogging away your hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught as well as stop Blissey from using any of its support moves. (this is an exact copypaste from the first moves, so copypaste your changes)

Set Details
========

Max HP and Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximizes Chesnaught's special bulk, giving it good mixed defenses wall stats. Leftovers are ran is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Always run Bulletproof as the ability of choice to allow it Chesnaught to take on more threats in the metagame.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon the opponent down. Assuming you are running Synthesis, use it Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. It is smart to Use Spiky Shield at times to scout for what move the opposing Pokemon is going to use, which helps against Choice-locked Pokemon. Use Roar on predicted switches into things Defoggers like Crobat and Gligar to prevent them from Defogging for free. Using it against strong special attackers like Chandelure coming in is a good idea as well. Note that even with max HP and Special Defense investment, Chesnaught is not going to appreciate taking really powerful special hits, so avoid switching it directly into things like a Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or a Chandelure, unless it is Choice-locked into anything but a Fire-type move. (remove parentheses)

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- (dash) and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can also use along with others like Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, (comma) though.

Fast Taunter
########
name: Fast Taunter

Moves
========

Spikes is important as it takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up multiple layers. Taunt stops a opposing Pokemon from using a variety of support moves, including Defog, entry hazard moves which includes defogging, getting up hazards of their own, Wish passing, using status moves, and setup setting up. The third moveslot is up to preference. Leech Seed gets more passive recovery while wearing opponents foes down. Synthesis gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Roar prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to faster Pokemon, especially Substitute users, but. This, however, limits Chesnaught's recovery to just Leftovers. On the last slot, Drain Punch is a good reliable Fighting-type STAB move that helps Chesnaught regain some HP lost. For more power, Wood Hammer is a fine option as a Grass-type STAB move (remove comma) at the cost of some recoil damage.

Set Details
========

172 Speed EVs are used to outspeed and Taunt 0 Speed uninvested Cresselia, Suicune, and Gligar, preventing the former two This prevents the former 2 from setting up and the latter last from using Defog or Stealth Rock. It also stops all three of the aforementioned Pokemon from recovering back any HP lost. HP is then maxed out, (comma) and the remainder is invested into Defense to still maintain good physical bulk. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe can be used to outspeed up to 0 Speed uninvested Florges, (remove comma) while still outspeeding standard Jellicent, Vaporeon, Umbreon, (comma) and Alomomola. Even more Speed can be invested to outspeed specially defensive Roserade and defensive Arcanine, requiring 228 and 252 Speed EVs respectively. A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel. Leftovers is ran run to give more passive recovery, which is especially effective if you are running Leech Seed. Bulletproof is chosen to grant immunity to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb that Chesnaught would normally not appreciate.

Usage Tips
========

Try setting up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear the opponent opposing Pokemon down. Assuming you're running Synthesis, Use it Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. If you choose to run Roar, use it on switches switchins to fast Defog users like Crobat or Rapid Spin users like Tentacruel to prevent hazard removal, (comma) as Taunt from Chesnaught cannot deal with these. Also, try to avoid revealing Taunt too early. It is best to use it when the opponent foe is low on HP and needs to recover, or if setting up entry hazards / Defogging is an extremely obvious move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- (dash) and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, along with but you can still use others like Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, (comma) though. Something that can handle fast Defog users would be handy, in particularly Crobat, (comma) which is the most common one and can easily threaten Chesnaught out. Rhyperior is a good partner for that reason and it is also able to set up Stealth Rock alongside Chesnaught's Spikes. Setup sweepers like Lucario appreciate Chesnaught's Spikes-stacking and prevention of a slow Defog. They also benefit from walls being unable to recover back any HP lost.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be run ran on Chesnaught to wear down opposing walls and rack up serious residual damage in conjunction with Leech Seed. Stone Edge hits incoming Flying-types like Crobat that would normally have a safe switch into against Chesnaught, as well as hitting Fire-type switch-ins harder. Earthquake also hits all the incoming Fire-types in the tier except for Rotom-Heat, (remove comma) while at the same time hitting Steel-types, which is useful if you are not running Drain Punch. Super Fang is handy to wear things down at a faster rate, especially opposing walls. Chesnaught's Attack stat is reasonably good, so it can also make good use of an offensive Spiker set. When invested in max attack with an Adamant nature, as well as its Attack is maximized and it is holding a Life Orb, Chesnaught is able to severely damage one of its biggest counters in Crobat, and OHKOing it after Stealth Rock. An offensive set with Bulk Up is definitely viable as well. Chesnaught even also has Belly Drum in its movepool but does not have the Speed nor or the priority to utilize it effectively without the proper support.

Checks & Counters
########
(these need colons)
**Flying-types**: These Flying-types resist both of the commonly run offensive moves on Chesnaught and can threaten it out with a 4x super effective move. Crobat in particular can Defog freely when switching into any of Chesnaught's moves except Taunt and Roar.

**Fire-types**: These Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Entei, threaten Chesnaught with their STAB moves. Chandelure in particular is a threat, as it resists one of Chesnaught's STAB types and is immune to the other. Frailer ones like Darmanitan need to be careful of switching into a Leech Seed and getting worn down by Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Flare Blitz recoil.

**Grass-types**: These Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, so they and can be a pain to deal with. Shaymin can hit it hard with Air Slash, Psychic, or Dazzling Gleam / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam, while Trevenant can takes both of Chesnaught's STAB moves and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Status Ailments**: Chesnaught does not mind paralysis, but it loathes burns and poisons. Chesnaught also has no way of getting rid of them on its own, (comma) so both will gradually wear it down. Toxic poison makes it unable to stay in for too long at a time, (comma) while burns a Burn would reduce its offensive presence.

**Taunt**: Most of Chesnaught's viable moves are support ones. After being it is Taunted, the opponent it is usually gets a free switch into something like Crobat that resists its common offensive moves.

**Strong Special Attackers**: With the a physically defensive spread, Chesnaught is frail on the special side, (comma) so avoid letting it take special attacks. Even with a specially defensive spread, strong special attacks would still severely damage it.
Thanks for the check :] Implemented and ready for the next one.

tehy

Banned deucer.
...ugh

Look, this whole analysis is riddled with fluff and copypasta, while also not having much information at all about what Chesnaught walls, which relevant threats each STAB hits, the benefits of SpD vs phys D, plus just being real crappy around the edges. I can't count the number of sentences i combined, let alone rewrote.

'X is run'
'X is an option'
'X is up to preferences'

I know it's all of that, because it's slashed! (Note that taunt isn't a problem in this sense, because the first two sets do not slash it.)

If two sentences talk about the same subject, try to combine them and see how it works out. I know I succeeded, so i bet you can too

Finally, not sure if all analyses really do have to separate SpD and phys. D mons, but if they do this analysis is a poster child for why that's a shitty idea. Same moves, same slashes, copypasta all the way through. This would have worked swimmingly as a set details mention, instead it's bloated and boring.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Capitalize or lowercase
Overview
########

Chesnaught is one of the best defensive Spikers in the tier. It boasts a base 122 Defense stat and has access to support moves such as Leech Seed and Spiky Shield, letting it take on many physical threats very well. Bulletproof makes it immune to moves such as Sludge Bomb that would normally put a big dent into it, allowing it to shut down threats such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire and Chandelure locked into Shadow Ball. All those aside, Chesnaught is slow and has a poor Special Defense stat, so many decently fast special attackers can threaten it out.

Physically Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important, as it is one of the main reasons to use Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. The second moveslot is a toss-up between two forms of recovery. Leech Seed gives more passive recovery while wearing foes down. Synthesis, on the other hand, gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do as well as gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically. An option over Spiky Shield is Roar, which prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to some Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon like such as Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs with an Impish nature maximize Chesnaught's physical bulk, taking advantage of its naturally high Defense stat. Leftovers is run to give more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed should you choose to run them. Rocky Helmet is also a good item, as it allows Chesnaught to punish physical attackers that it switches into. Bulletproof should be run 100% of the time, as it allows Chesnaught to take on Pokemon that would normally threaten it, such as Roserade without Hidden Power Fire.

Usage Tips
========

Try going for Spikes or a Leech Seed on predicted switches to gradually wear the opponent's Pokemon down. If you choose to run Synthesis, use it whenever Chesnaught is getting low on HP so that it can constantly take on physical attackers and set up more layers of Spikes. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout what the foe is going to do, especially those that run a Choice item. If you are able to predict a switch into something a Pokemon that is relatively safe like such as a Crobat or a Gligar, use Roar to rack up entry hazards damage on opposing Pokemon while not allowing them to Defog for free. It also can be used against things Pokemon such as Suicune that try to use Chesnaught as setup fodder. Do note that although Chesnaught is very physically bulky, it can get worn down easily by strong physical attacks such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, especially if you are not running Synthesis.

Team Options
========

Empoleon is a good partner, as it can set up Stealth Rock while Chesnaught sets up Spikes. It also takes Psychic-, Flying- and Poison-type moves that are aimed at Chesnaught. Clerics like such as Florges, Vaporeon, (AC) and Blissey can help get rid of the status ailments that Chesnaught typically has trouble with, (RC) while at the same time sponging special hits that target Chesnaught's low Special Defense stat. If you choose not to run Synthesis, Chesnaught is easily worn down, so a Rapid Spin user is appreciated to get rid of entry hazards on your side of the field.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important when using Chesnaught. It Spikes takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. Leech Seed gives additional passive recovery while wearing opposing Pokemon down. If you would rather opt for a more reliable form of recovery, Synthesis is your best option. Spiky Shield damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically and allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do as well as and gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically. Roar can be run over Spiky Shield, (RC) preventing to prevent Chesnaught from being setup fodder to certain Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch is for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, while or you could opt for Wood Hammer, (RC) is a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon like such as Empoleon and Swampert from getting setting up Stealth Rock up as well as and preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves. (It wasn't wrong, but we generally avoid copying + pasting sentences)

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Chesnaught's special bulk, giving it good mixed defenses, which allows it to more effectively check Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Roserade, and Mega Ampharos. Leftovers is run to gives Chesnaught more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed if should you choose to run them. (same idea as before here) Always run Bulletproof to allow Chesnaught it to take on more threats.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout for what move the opposing Pokemon is going to use, which helps against Choice-locked Pokemon. Use Roar on predicted switches into Defoggers like such as Crobat and Gligar to prevent them from Defogging for free. Using it against strong special attackers like such as Chandelure as they come coming in is a good idea as well. Note that even with maximum HP and Special Defense investment, Chesnaught is not going to appreciate taking really powerful special hits, so avoid switching it directly into things like moves such as a Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or a Chandelure, unless it is Choice-locked into anything but a Fire-type move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can also use others like clerics such as Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though.

Fast Taunt
########

Moves
========

Spikes takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up multiple layers. Taunt stops opposing Pokemon from using a variety of support moves, including Defog, entry hazard moves of their own, Wish, status moves, and setup. The third moveslot is up to preference. Leech Seed gets more passive recovery while wearing foes down., (period -> comma) and Synthesis gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Roar prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to faster Pokemon, especially Substitute users, but limits Chesnaught's recovery to just Leftovers. On the last slot, Drain Punch is a good reliable Fighting-type STAB move that helps Chesnaught regain some HP lost. For more power, Wood Hammer is a fine option as a Grass-type STAB move at the cost of some recoil damage.

Set Details
========

172 Speed EVs are used to outspeed and Taunt uninvested Cresselia, Suicune, and Gligar, preventing the former two from setting up and the last from using Defog or Stealth Rock. It also stops all three of the aforementioned Pokemon from recovering back any HP lost. HP is then maxed out, and the remainder is remaining EVs are invested into Defense to still maintain good physical bulk. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe can be used to outspeed up to uninvested Florges while still outspeeding standard Jellicent, Vaporeon, Umbreon, and Alomomola. Even more Speed can be invested in to outspeed specially defensive Roserade and defensive Arcanine, requiring 228 and 252 Speed EVs, (AC) respectively. A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel. Leftovers is run to give more passive recovery, which is especially effective if you are running Leech Seed. Bulletproof is chosen to grant immunity to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb that Chesnaught would normally not appreciate getting hit by.

Usage Tips
========

Try setting up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when Chesnaught does not have a lot of at low HP to avoid being worn down. If you choose to run Roar, use it on switches to fast Defog and Rapid Spin users like such as Crobat or Rapid Spin users like and Tentacruel, (AC) respectively, (AC) to prevent entry hazard removal, as Taunt from Chesnaught cannot deal with these. Also, try to avoid revealing Taunt too early. It is best to use it when the foe is low on HP and needs to recover, or if setting up entry hazards / or Defogging is an extremely obvious move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can still use others like clerics such as Florges and Umbreon also work as partners. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though. Something A teammate that can handle fast Defog users would be handy, particularly Crobat, which is the most common one and can easily threaten Chesnaught out. Rhyperior is a good partner for that reason and is also able to set up Stealth Rock alongside Chesnaught's Spikes. Setup sweepers like such as Lucario appreciate Chesnaught's Spikes-stacking and prevention of a slow Defog. They also benefit from walls being unable to recover back any HP lost.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be run to wear down opposing walls and rack up serious residual damage in conjunction with Leech Seed. Stone Edge hits incoming Flying-types like such as Crobat that would normally have a safe switch into Chesnaught, as well as hitting Fire-type switch-ins harder. Earthquake also hits all the Fire-types in the tier except for Rotom-H while hitting Steel-types, which is useful if you are not running Drain Punch. Super Fang is handy to wear things Pokemon down at a faster rate, especially opposing walls. Chesnaught's Attack stat is reasonably good, so it can also make good use of an offensive Spiker set. When its Attack is maximized and it is holding a Life Orb, Chesnaught is able to severely damage one of its biggest counters in Crobat, OHKOing it after Stealth Rock. An offensive set with Bulk Up is definitely viable as well. Chesnaught also has Belly Drum in its movepool, (AC) but does not have the Speed or the priority to utilize it effectively without the proper support.

Checks & Counters
########

**Flying-types**: Flying-types resist both of the commonly run offensive moves on Chesnaught and can threaten it out with a 4x super effective move. Crobat in particular can Defog freely when switching into any of Chesnaught's moves except Taunt and Roar.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Entei, threaten Chesnaught with their STAB moves. Chandelure in particular is a threat, as it resists one of Chesnaught's STAB types and is immune to the other. Frailer ones like Fire-types such as Darmanitan need to be careful of getting worn down by Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Flare Blitz recoil.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, so they can be a pain to deal with. Shaymin can hit it Chesnaught hard with Air Slash, Psychic, or Dazzling Gleam, while Trevenant can take both of Chesnaught's STAB moves and burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Status Ailments**: Chesnaught does not mind paralysis, but it loathes burns and poison. Chesnaught also has no way of getting rid of them status ailments on its own, so both will gradually wear it down. Toxic poison makes it unable to stay in for too long at a time, while burns reduce its offensive presence.

**Taunt**: Most of Chesnaught's viable moves are support ones. After it is Taunted, the opponent usually gets a free switch into a Pokemon something like Crobat that resists its common offensive moves, (AC) such as Crobat.

**Strong Special Attackers**: With a physically defensive spread, Chesnaught is frail on the special side, so avoid letting it take special attacks. Even with a specially defensive spread, strong special attacks severely damage it.
2/2

I tried to change it where I could, but in the future please don't CP sentences.

Last edited:

Eyan

Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Capitalize or lowercase
Overview
########

Physically Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important, as it is one of the main reasons to use Chesnaught. It takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. The second moveslot is a toss-up between two forms of recovery. Leech Seed gives more passive recovery while wearing foes down. Synthesis, on the other hand, gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Spiky Shield allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do as well as gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically. An option over Spiky Shield is Roar, which prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to some Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, or you could opt for Wood Hammer, a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon like such as Empoleon and Swampert from getting Stealth Rock up as well as preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Try going for Spikes or a Leech Seed on predicted switches to gradually wear the opponent's Pokemon down. If you choose to run Synthesis, use it whenever Chesnaught is getting low on HP so that it can constantly take on physical attackers and set up more layers of Spikes. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout what the foe is going to do, especially those that run a Choice item. If you are able to predict a switch into something a Pokemon that is relatively safe like such as a Crobat or a Gligar, use Roar to rack up entry hazards damage on opposing Pokemon while not allowing them to Defog for free. It also can be used against things Pokemon such as Suicune that try to use Chesnaught as setup fodder. Do note that although Chesnaught is very physically bulky, it can get worn down easily by strong physical attacks such as Mienshao's High Jump Kick, especially if you are not running Synthesis.

Team Options
========

Empoleon is a good partner, as it can set up Stealth Rock while Chesnaught sets up Spikes. It also takes Psychic-, Flying- and Poison-type moves that are aimed at Chesnaught. Clerics like such as Florges, Vaporeon, (AC) and Blissey can help get rid of the status ailments that Chesnaught typically has trouble with, (RC) while at the same time sponging special hits that target Chesnaught's low Special Defense stat. If you choose not to run Synthesis, Chesnaught is easily worn down, so a Rapid Spin user is appreciated to get rid of entry hazards on your side of the field.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Spikes is very important when using Chesnaught. It Spikes takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up entry hazards. Leech Seed gives additional passive recovery while wearing opposing Pokemon down. If you would rather opt for a more reliable form of recovery, Synthesis is your best option. Spiky Shield damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically and allows you to scout for what the opposing Pokemon is going to do as well as and gain more Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. This also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically. Roar can be run over Spiky Shield, (RC) preventing to prevent Chesnaught from being setup fodder to certain Pokemon, especially those that typically carry Substitute. The last moveslot depends on which offensive move you prefer. You could run Drain Punch is for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery, while or you could opt for Wood Hammer, (RC) is a more powerful Grass-type STAB move with the drawback of recoil damage. Finally, Taunt is a viable option that prevents slower Pokemon like such as Empoleon and Swampert from getting setting up Stealth Rock up as well as and preventing Empoleon from Defogging away your entry hazards. It also stops Trevenant from burning Chesnaught and Blissey from using any of its support moves. (It wasn't wrong, but we generally avoid copying + pasting sentences)

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature maximize Chesnaught's special bulk, giving it good mixed defenses, which allows it to more effectively check Hydreigon, Mega Blastoise, Roserade, and Mega Ampharos. Leftovers is run to gives Chesnaught more passive recovery, especially in conjunction with Spiky Shield and Leech Seed if should you choose to run them. (same idea as before here) Always run Bulletproof to allow Chesnaught it to take on more threats.

Usage Tips
========

Try to set up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when at low HP to avoid being worn down. Use Spiky Shield at times to scout for what move the opposing Pokemon is going to use, which helps against Choice-locked Pokemon. Use Roar on predicted switches into Defoggers like such as Crobat and Gligar to prevent them from Defogging for free. Using it against strong special attackers like such as Chandelure as they come coming in is a good idea as well. Note that even with maximum HP and Special Defense investment, Chesnaught is not going to appreciate taking really powerful special hits, so avoid switching it directly into things like moves such as a Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor or a Chandelure, unless it is Choice-locked into anything but a Fire-type move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can also use others like clerics such as Florges and Umbreon. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though.

Fast Taunt
########

Moves
========

Spikes takes advantage of Chesnaught's bulk to set up multiple layers. Taunt stops opposing Pokemon from using a variety of support moves, including Defog, entry hazard moves of their own, Wish, status moves, and setup. The third moveslot is up to preference. Leech Seed gets more passive recovery while wearing foes down., (period -> comma) and Synthesis gives Chesnaught a method of reliable recovery. Roar prevents Chesnaught from being setup fodder to faster Pokemon, especially Substitute users, but limits Chesnaught's recovery to just Leftovers. On the last slot, Drain Punch is a good reliable Fighting-type STAB move that helps Chesnaught regain some HP lost. For more power, Wood Hammer is a fine option as a Grass-type STAB move at the cost of some recoil damage.

Set Details
========

172 Speed EVs are used to outspeed and Taunt uninvested Cresselia, Suicune, and Gligar, preventing the former two from setting up and the last from using Defog or Stealth Rock. It also stops all three of the aforementioned Pokemon from recovering back any HP lost. HP is then maxed out, and the remainder is remaining EVs are invested into Defense to still maintain good physical bulk. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe can be used to outspeed up to uninvested Florges while still outspeeding standard Jellicent, Vaporeon, Umbreon, and Alomomola. Even more Speed can be invested in to outspeed specially defensive Roserade and defensive Arcanine, requiring 228 and 252 Speed EVs, (AC) respectively. A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel. Leftovers is run to give more passive recovery, which is especially effective if you are running Leech Seed. Bulletproof is chosen to grant immunity to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb that Chesnaught would normally not appreciate getting hit by.

Usage Tips
========

Try setting up Spikes or go for a Leech Seed on predicted switches to wear opposing Pokemon down. Use Synthesis to recover when Chesnaught does not have a lot of at low HP to avoid being worn down. If you choose to run Roar, use it on switches to fast Defog and Rapid Spin users like such as Crobat or Rapid Spin users like and Tentacruel, (AC) respectively, (AC) to prevent entry hazard removal, as Taunt from Chesnaught cannot deal with these. Also, try to avoid revealing Taunt too early. It is best to use it when the foe is low on HP and needs to recover, or if setting up entry hazards / or Defogging is an extremely obvious move.

Team Options
========

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Vaporeon can take Fire- and Ice-type attacks for Chesnaught. Vaporeon in particular is a good cleric to get rid of Chesnaught's status ailments, but you can still use others like clerics such as Florges and Umbreon also work as partners. Tentacruel has relatively good synergy with Chesnaught, is able to set up Toxic Spikes, and can Rapid Spin away opposing entry hazards. Both have to be careful of strong Psychic-type attacks, though. Something A teammate that can handle fast Defog users would be handy, particularly Crobat, which is the most common one and can easily threaten Chesnaught out. Rhyperior is a good partner for that reason and is also able to set up Stealth Rock alongside Chesnaught's Spikes. Setup sweepers like such as Lucario appreciate Chesnaught's Spikes-stacking and prevention of a slow Defog. They also benefit from walls being unable to recover back any HP lost.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be run to wear down opposing walls and rack up serious residual damage in conjunction with Leech Seed. Stone Edge hits incoming Flying-types like such as Crobat that would normally have a safe switch into Chesnaught, as well as hitting Fire-type switch-ins harder. Earthquake also hits all the Fire-types in the tier except for Rotom-H while hitting Steel-types, which is useful if you are not running Drain Punch. Super Fang is handy to wear things Pokemon down at a faster rate, especially opposing walls. Chesnaught's Attack stat is reasonably good, so it can also make good use of an offensive Spiker set. When its Attack is maximized and it is holding a Life Orb, Chesnaught is able to severely damage one of its biggest counters in Crobat, OHKOing it after Stealth Rock. An offensive set with Bulk Up is definitely viable as well. Chesnaught also has Belly Drum in its movepool, (AC) but does not have the Speed or the priority to utilize it effectively without the proper support.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Chandelure, and Entei, threaten Chesnaught with their STAB moves. Chandelure in particular is a threat, as it resists one of Chesnaught's STAB types and is immune to the other. Frailer ones like Fire-types such as Darmanitan need to be careful of getting worn down by Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Flare Blitz recoil.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are immune to Leech Seed, so they can be a pain to deal with. Shaymin can hit it Chesnaught hard with Air Slash, Psychic, or Dazzling Gleam, while Trevenant can take both of Chesnaught's STAB moves and burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Status Ailments**: Chesnaught does not mind paralysis, but it loathes burns and poison. Chesnaught also has no way of getting rid of them status ailments on its own, so both will gradually wear it down. Toxic poison makes it unable to stay in for too long at a time, while burns reduce its offensive presence.

**Taunt**: Most of Chesnaught's viable moves are support ones. After it is Taunted, the opponent usually gets a free switch into a Pokemon something like Crobat that resists its common offensive moves, (AC) such as Crobat.

2/2

I tried to change it where I could, but in the future please don't CP sentences.
yeah sorry about the CP, I'll take note of that. Anyway thanks for the check and all implemented.

This analysis is now done.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Oh right almost forgot

A Jolly nature with 228 Speed EVs can also be utilized to outspeed 24 Speed Celebi and Tentacruel

Speed creep, gtfo plz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)