Pokémon Chesnaught (Revamp Occurring)

What variant of Bulk Up should I do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Psylink, please update the OP with notable moves. The research thread has uncovered a lot of moves that should be on the OP

Also does anyone know how much damage Spiky Shield inflicts upon its opponent?

Last edited:
Psylink, please update the OP with notable moves. The research thread has uncovered a lot of moves that should be on the OP

Also does anyone know how much damage Spiky Shield inflicts upon its opponent?
Sorry, busy + lazy = bad.

Updating...

Edit 1: Pocket I'm not seeing the research thread having more moves, and I've searched my thread for more moves, but there's a lot of Gengar talk. If the research thread is updated, that would be much appreciated.

Normal poison offers veeeeery little benefit. It's sometimes worse than applying no status all, if you wanted to apply something else to them instead.
Causing an opponent to lose 1/8 of their HP every turn is a solid benefit. Heck, it's one reason why Scald is so dangerous to some Water resists like Latias and Keldeo. They don't mind the Atk drop, but losing 1/8 of their HP every turn is terrible for them. The way I see it, there are three reasons why you would want to use Sludge Wave. Either the extra base power helps with certain KOs (which I've seen no evidence of, never mind that the extra chance to poison can offer even more potential damage), Bulletproof users start getting really popular (no way of telling if that's true just yet), or you'd rather inflict some other status on a potential switch-in. The last one is a legitimate concern, but even then, plenty of teams don't rely on status moves at all (especially offensive teams, where Gengar fits nicely). Any passive status that they can get through something like Scald or Sludge Bomb is just a bonus. Again, there's a reason why Haunter runs Sludge Bomb > Sludge Wave, Tentacruel has a Sludge Bomb mention in its analysis instead of Sludge Wave, and even Weezing prefers Sludge Bomb. The extra passive damage is a good benefit.

You're forgetting that pre-Gen 6 Poison was a horrid offensive type and the only reason to even run a poison move was the secondary poison effect.
Not really, no. Well, it was a bad offensive type, but it wasn't just used for the poison chance. Most Pokemon that use those two Poison moves do so because they serve as a powerful STAB move and/or offer decent neutral coverage alongside its other moves. Venusaur runs Sludge Bomb for its power and the fact that, alongside Giga Drain and HP Fire, it offers neutral coverage against every OU Pokemon bar Heatran. Specifically, it helps with Dragons like Dragonite and Latias. For the few times Landorus-I used Sludge Wave when it was OU, it was because Sludge Wave was a great weapon against Celebi, Gyarados, and Rotom-W. Nidoking and Nidoqueen sometimes use the move since it is the most powerful STAB at their disposal. In fact, when Nidoqueen was RU, Sludge Wave was its best bet against Uxie. Roserade uses Sludge Bomb for the neutral coverage and STAB, giving it a solid attack for switch-ins such as Arcanine, Shaymin, and Victini, who might switch in expecting a Giga Drain. Haunter uses it, again, for the raw power factoring in STAB, as well as the fact that it doesn't have a lot of other viable options.

Regardless, whether Poison has good or bad coverage is irrelevant. The choice between Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb has always been extra power vs higher poison chance. The only thing that has changed about that is the existence of Bulletproof.

Either way the instant Chesnaught's usage even gets remotely close to OU status you can be certain Sludge Wave will be Gengar's main option over Sludge Bomb. It's a lose/lose situation.
It's not a lose/lose at all. For all we know, Chesnaught (or any other Bulletproof user) may never see any notable usage in OU. If that happens, the choice will still be between more power or higher poison chance.

Lol, sorry. To answer an earlier question, though, it appears from my experience that Spiky Shield takes about 1/16 health from the opponent when hit by a contact move. It's not a ton, but it's certainly better than nothing, and it can really add up alongside other forms of passive damage.

Causing an opponent to lose 1/8 of their HP every turn is a solid benefit. Heck, it's one reason why Scald is so dangerous to some Water resists like Latias and Keldeo.
I grant you this, and my original comment was perhaps inaccurate, but you see Scald on bulky things that can afford to sit around and let that damage do its work. Gengar doesn't have that luxury. When Gengar attacks, if what it attacked didn't die (and wasn't a wall), Gengar probably did.

Anyway, this is all conjecture anyway and perhaps somewhat off topic considering we aren't even totally sure what the ability does and does not affect.

Regardless, whether Poison has good or bad coverage is irrelevant. The choice between Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb has always been extra power vs higher poison chance. The only thing that has changed about that is the existence of Bulletproof.
Well, in 454, it doesn't get the choice, meaning, as it has been said, Chestnaut IS a Gengar beater. So there, final word.

I don't see Belly Drum being amazing. All of its users either had the power and typing for it (Charizard), or priority (Azumarril, Linoone). Snorlax is an exception, but Chestnaut is no defensive Snorlax, boy, no defensive Snorlax.

What about adding more defense instead of attack to the SubBU set and make it a bit more bulky? With the extra bulk it might get off another Bulk up or two and/or at least make it able to take a couple more hits. maybe a 50-100 more defense instead of attack. have not tried it, but it seems works for a lot of other Bulky attackers.

What about adding more defense instead of attack to the SubBU set and make it a bit more bulky? With the extra bulk it might get off another Bulk up or two and/or at least make it able to take a couple more hits. maybe a 50-100 more defense instead of attack. have not tried it, but it seems works for a lot of other Bulky attackers.
I've fully invested into HP, so it can take hits fine. And not investing into Attack, especially for a sweeper (even though it's bulky), is a really bad idea. The premise is to switch in on something you check, it switches, you Sub, then you Bulk Up, and the mayhem begins.

Lol, sorry. To answer an earlier question, though, it appears from my experience that Spiky Shield takes about 1/16 health from the opponent when hit by a contact move. It's not a ton, but it's certainly better than nothing, and it can really add up alongside other forms of passive damage.
Leech Seed + Spiny Shield = Greatness

Would add Toxic on, but then we get Taunt bait. Damn 4-move limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)