Pokémon Clefable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Pokemon different tiers with there mega like for.example charizard and charizard x are they different tiers?

I'm not a noob, I play competitively I'm just curious and not used to specific tiers and how there decided.

Uh, Mawile, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Charizard...a lot of dudes are viable solely because of Mega Evolution. But this is about Clefable so that is neither here nor there.

Clefable strikes me as a kind of Jack of all Trades fairy, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good at all of its roles. If you want to pass Wish is personally recommend Aromatisse over Clefable, it trades a lot of its speed for more immediate bulk. Clefables real niche seems to be as a bulky damage dealer with reliable recovery, like Porygon2 but with the added utility of an item. Personally, I'm messing with a set of Magic Guard flame orb, with Trick, Moonblast, Cosmic Power and Moonlight: it's more supportive, and easy to wall, but works brilliantly if you can trade your Flame Orb for a Life Orb/leftovers.

is a calm mind set with leftovers viable? something like this:
clefable- @ leftovers
bold nature: evs 252 hp/252 def/4 sp atk
-fire blast
-softboiled
-moonblast
-calm mind

ive used it and its worked ok, if fully invested defensively she becomes incredibly bulky specially and bulky enough defensively, and allows her to be both strong defensively while still being strong offensively. however! im very new to competitive pokemon and am interested in knowing if this set is completely outclassed by something

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
is a calm mind set with leftovers viable? something like this:
clefable- @ leftovers
bold nature: evs 252 hp/252 def/4 sp atk
-fire blast
-softboiled
-moonblast
-calm mind

ive used it and its worked ok, if fully invested defensively she becomes incredibly bulky specially and bulky enough defensively, and allows her to be both strong defensively while still being strong offensively. however! im very new to competitive pokemon and am interested in knowing if this set is completely outclassed by something
To answer your last question, nope! That is basically the set that makes Clefable OU. Just a minor hint - you almost always want your pokemon to have an odd number of HP. I'd recommend taking 4 EV's out of your HP (to turn your HP to 393), and putting them in another stat.

Has anyone else been enjoying Clefable as an utility check and Stealth Rock setter? A simple set of Moonblast / (Fire Blast / Flamethrower) / Stealth Rock / Softboiled, Magic Guard, and 252 HP / 252 Def+ allows Clefable to act as a reliable SR setter and check to many threats. Clefable makes for such a great SR setter due to its ability to beat most Defog or Rapid Spin users, with Moonblast 2HKOing Lati@s and Mandibuzz, and the Fire move taking care of Excadrill, Scizor, and Skarmory, leaving only Zapdos and Mew uncovered, both of which can be taken care of with Toxic, which is a viable alternative over the Fire move. With Magic Guard and max physical bulk, Clefable deals with a multitude of Pokemon, including Rotom-W, Kyurem-B, Dragonite, Latias, Latios, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and SpD Heatran (you can't do anything back, but you can lower its SpA with Moonblast so that another Pokemon can switch in safely). Magic Guard also makes Clefable a nice status absorber and hazard / sand damage a non issue, which is great, especially to avoid the 2HKO from certain Pokemon with SR up. You can even go with both CM and SR, as you still beat the most common Defog users, while being able to do something productive against the Pokemon you wall but can't hurt back, such as Gliscor, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Sylveon, and Slowbro.
I started using this set a few weeks ago after reading this post and it's great. But I've been using it with 60 Evs in SpDef, max HP and the rest on Defense, so Clefable can cat act a better mixed wall. It's a Stealth Rock setter that's pretty much impossible to OHKO on lead, forces a lot of switches due to its walling ability, can easily stay alive for the entire match and can come back on enemy rocks without taking damage to set its own rocks again. It's great.

To answer your last question, nope! That is basically the set that makes Clefable OU. Just a minor hint - you almost always want your pokemon to have an odd number of HP. I'd recommend taking 4 EV's out of your HP (to turn your HP to 393), and putting them in another stat.
It actually doesnt matter for its hp to be odd b/c lefties will never be a proper whole number and if running magic guard rocks dont matter at all. Also 12 spe evs gives Clefable the ability to outspeed. Just a small useful tidbit

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I'll be honest. This is going to be one of the most unprofessional posts I ever make.
I troll SO hard with Clefable in OU on Pokemon Showdown. Seriously, just look at my signature. I don't really want to reveal my set because then it won't work as well, but Clefable has definitely risen as a great wall, offensive pokemon, and cleric this generation. It can do anything. It's just a beast. I was doing some trolling one day, and BigOctillery was watching a bunch of my battles. He liked when I battled like this, and he aptly named it #ClefableClubbing. Best. Name. Ever. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: I changed my signature, so ignore that part.

Last edited:
I've been using a Clefable (magic guard, Bold | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpA ) and I love her. I use a life orb on mine with cosmic power, stored power, wish and moonblast. She can just destroy teams or at the least put a major dent in them.

I've been thinking about putting a weakness policy on this Pokemon just to see what happens.

I'll be honest. This is going to be one of the most unprofessional posts I ever make.
I troll SO hard with Clefable in OU on Pokemon Showdown. Seriously, just look at my signature. I don't really want to reveal my set because then it won't work as well, but Clefable has definitely risen as a great wall, offensive pokemon, and cleric this generation. It can do anything. It's just a beast. I was doing some trolling one day, and BigOctillery was watching a bunch of my battles. He liked when I battled like this, and he aptly named it #ClefableClubbing. Best. Name. Ever. 'Nuff said.
I at least want a hint: Is it related in any way to Sigilyph's famous set?

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I at least want a hint: Is it related in any way to Sigilyph's famous set?
Well I can't say that! If I did then my secrets would be out, and my shenanigans would no longer work. Hehehe :P PM me and we can set a time to battle and you can find out yourself firsthand! (We shouldn't talk about it on this thread)

Clefable is simply AWESOME. Unaware is so great and has saved me multiple times. The Magic Guard calm mind set is also pretty good too. It can also learn so many good moves and it appreciates its new base 95 sp attack. This thing is perfectly viable in OU and isn't outclassed at all IMO. It gets many moves, two amazing abilities, and respectable bulk that give it enough viabilty in OU.

With my new Unaware Clefable I ran into a lot of Fire types (mostly Talonflame and Charizard Y) the other day, so I tried out a variation of the standard set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Bold nature
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

I traded my recovery for surprise and won. It's amazing because people just don't expect it. They switch in a check like Talonflame oder Charizard Y, I predict it and go for the Calm Mind first, they think "Alright, pretty standard" and then ZAPP! :D Also nice to screw some dangerous Water types like Azumarill.
What do you think?

Hits Water Types and Flying types not double weak to rock harder, as well as neutral targets.
If Stealth Rock is down it won't matter, but HP Rock does guarantee a OHKO on Talonflame (Thunderbolt is a 6.3% chance without prior damage). It also does more to Zard Y, obviously, but I don't think enough to matter in most cases.

+1 0 SpA Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 166-196 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charizard still wins though. Unless sacrificing recovery for a coverage move can actually KO Clefable's checks, it seems like way too much to sacrifice. Besides, the added damage of Thunderbolt over Moonblast doesn't really seem like enough.

+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 177-208 (43.8 - 51.4%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Clefable Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 224-264 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The ability to 2HKO Azumarill is nice, but not at the cost of almost losing Clefable in the process.

I want an opinion on this set.

Clefable@Weakness Policy
Bold
248hp/252def/8sp def
Movement:
Cosmic power/Calm mind
Stored power
Flamethrower/moon blast/Charge beam
Softboiled

This is the uu set posted that is on the OP, but with an item change and a few slashes.The idea here is that you would use something like Scolipied(spell fail) or sashed smeargle to baton pass a boost in speed to clefable or force a switch and they send in a poison or steel type. So when Clefable gets hit by a SE attack it can survive it has +4to5(or more depending if you baton passed something like a quiver dance) so it will hit hard with Stored power. The +1 speed allows it to heal off most of the damage and KO back. I understand the loss of lefties hurts its recovery but is this Viable at all?

If you're going so far as to pass Clefable Quiver Dance and maintain Cosmic Power, Weakness Policy is horribly redundant and unnecessary. Particularly for a type like Fairy that is only weak to two of the most uncommon attack types in the game: Poison and Steel. Outside of a Scizor Bullet Punch and Mega Venusaur Sludge bomb, these move types are simply not common and you'll more often than not regret not packing Leftovers. And Clefable should always almost always have Moonblast.

If you're going so far as to pass Clefable Quiver Dance and maintain Cosmic Power, Weakness Policy is horribly redundant and unnecessary. Particularly for a type like Fairy that is only weak to two of the most uncommon attack types in the game: Poison and Steel. Outside of a Scizor Bullet Punch and Mega Venusaur Sludge bomb, these move types are simply not common and you'll more often than not regret not packing Leftovers. And Clefable should always almost always have Moonblast.
What about Gengar, bisharp, Mawile, the odd legislate(Shouldn't be in on the even after Cosmic power IIRC) and the two you mentioned. Flamethrower was just there to hit steel types hard.
Anyways it was an Idea, since steel is on most teams, as I Sid ok it uses lefties best but WP I would assume would work out Okay in the end, but it would just be a bit gimmicky.

Perhaps I should playlist the two. But you're probably right about lefties.

All these bulky attacking sets are fun and all but I've been having more fun with a specially defensive toxic stall set. Magic Guard lets Clefable do so many things without much to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)