Client development question

To start off, if this question belongs somewhere else please let me know!

I recently got into competitive Pokemon and after a couple days I decided that I wanted a couple features in the client that weren't there. I forked the client on github and made the changes I wanted. All of the changes I made are client side, and have no interaction with the Pokemon Showdown servers. Only after making the changes did I realize that when you pack for desktop, it loads the ENTIRE client, not just resources from the showdown servers.

I was wondering if there was an accepted / easy way to use my changes in a custom desktop client and still connect to the official pokemon showdown servers. I know that I could rewrite the index.html that node-webkit uses to force it to load local files instead, but wanted to check if there was a simpler way before I went through that work.

Thanks in advance!

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
To start off, if this question belongs somewhere else please let me know!

I recently got into competitive Pokemon and after a couple days I decided that I wanted a couple features in the client that weren't there. I forked the client on github and made the changes I wanted. All of the changes I made are client side, and have no interaction with the Pokemon Showdown servers. Only after making the changes did I realize that when you pack for desktop, it loads the ENTIRE client, not just resources from the showdown servers.

I was wondering if there was an accepted / easy way to use my changes in a custom desktop client and still connect to the official pokemon showdown servers. I know that I could rewrite the index.html that node-webkit uses to force it to load local files instead, but wanted to check if there was a simpler way before I went through that work.

Thanks in advance!
I would assume it would be a lot easier to do it through browser version of PS (it sounds like you are using the desktop downloaded version).

You should with the browser just need to run test-client.html (i think thats what its called, i cba looking it up right now, its something like that) and it should work fine.

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I had been testing with test-client.html, but some things are missing or annoying to do in it, like logging in. I ended up just making a new index.html that loads the resources I modified from the filesystem, and loads the rest from Showdown. I can launch it with the desktop client launcher, so all is good and done. Sound doesn't work, I assume because of some cross-domain issues with flash, but it doesn't really bother me because I play without sound most of the time anyway.

I'd suggest writing an userscript to mess with the DOM directly, but that's just me.

If you give an example of what you'd like in a client, I can tell you how to implement that without having to edit the actual files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)