ORAS OU Cloudburst

Hello everyone,
This is a rain team I made built around Politoed and Tornadus-T.
I've never tried a rain team before in gen 6, so this is a new experience for me.
None of the art used here belongs to me, credits go to their respective owners.

Also, I'm not that good at OU, so I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

I saw Tornadus-T in the BL list, and I decided to use it. My EVs are not really for anything important, I'm just running max Spe and spA.
I wanted to build a rain-centered team, leading to me using Hurricane.
U-Turn I threw on for scouting and switch initiative.
I decided not to run Heat Wave, as its damage is harshly reduced by the rain.
Focus Blast was my next coverage move. I decided for FB over Superpower because it deals with Ferrothorn easier and doesn't force me to run a Hasty nature.
Grass Knot is something I threw on for coverage, as I didn't want to use a Hasty nature. Also, Grass Knot helps with Mega Diancie, (Mega) Slowbro, and Terrakion really easily.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Encore
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

As this team is based around rain, obviously I'm going to use a Politoed.
I gave it a Damp Rock and almost max HP and spDef so it can survive longer, making the rest of my team benefit from the rain longer.
Scald and Ice Beam are obvious.
Toxic is my way of dealing with Stall users.
Encore is really fun. No-one can use this toad as set-up fodder this way.
0 Attack IVs are for minimum Foul Play and confusion damage.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

With Politoed having no means of recovery, I wanted to have Healing Wish support.
I figured I might as well have Defog support, so I decided on Latias. Latias also helps me with my Electric weakness. The beforementioned Healing Wish and Defog are things I wanted to use this here Latias for, obviously.
Psyshock and Draco Meteor, in my opinion, were the two best moves to put on Latias, as Roost is, in my opinion, redundant when I'm going to sacrifice it anyway with Healing Wish.
Again, 0 Attack IVs are for minimum Foul Play and confusion damage.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
My team was lacking physical bulk, and my core didn't handle Azumarill and other Fairies well at all, so I decided on Ferrothorn.
Gyro Ball with 0 Speed IVs is my main offensive move, destroying the beforementioned Fairy-types.
Knock Off is a great utility move, wrecking unsuspecting Chansey and the like.
Stealth Rock is a great move to have, as just setting it up guarantees any Focus Sashes not owned by an Alakazam get broken. Also, it hits Pokémon such as Charizard and Volcarona extremely hard.
Leech Seed is awesome for recovery and residual damage.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Swampert is my Mega, another Poke that really benefits from rain, and main sweeper.
For the EVs, I used a pretty standard spread, opting for Jolly over Adamant.
Rain Dance is my secondary way to set the rain up.
Waterfall is my main offensive move, destroying anything without huge Defense that doesn't resist it.
Earthquake is my second STAB, and a powerful alternative for other Water-types and pokes that are weak to it.
Ice Punch is my way of dealing with Grass-types in a pinch. Also, it easily destroys Flying-Types and Garchomp.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
Now, I noticed my team was weak to Dark-types and had no real answer to Ghosts.
Also, I lacked priority.
Azumarill is my answer to that.
Aqua Jet and Knock Off were the first moves I put on, for priority and a powerful Ghost-killer.
Play Rough is my answer to Dark-Types and my main STAB.
Waterfall I put on for STAB. Not really any other reason. i guess it's more powerful than Aqua Jet.

Now I know this team is far from perfect.
I would appreciate any constructive criticism, and if you would make a lil' threat list it would be really nice.

Thank you so much for reading this.
AwesomeTorterra, signing off.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Nice team, 1st thing I wanna say is Kabutops > Azumarill. Kabutops gets Swift Swim and Aqua Jet, so he's a great member to have for a rain team. Kabutops can help with Talonflame too, since the rest of your team isn't fond of it. On Ferrothorn, I would go either Protect or Power Whip over Knock Off. If you run Protect, you could also run Rocky Helmet, since you would be leech seed stalling, and if you don't, then Power Whip can hit Keldeo for some major damage.

Nice team, 1st thing I wanna say is Kabutops > Azumarill. Kabutops gets Swift Swim and Aqua Jet, so he's a great member to have for a rain team. Kabutops can help with Talonflame too, since the rest of your team isn't fond of it. On Ferrothorn, I would go either Protect or Power Whip over Knock Off. If you run Protect, you could also run Rocky Helmet, since you would be leech seed stalling, and if you don't, then Power Whip can hit Keldeo for some major damage.
Sounds clever. However, doesn't this make me even weaker to Dark- and Ghost types? If I do take Kabutops, what set do you suggest?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Sounds clever. However, doesn't this make me even weaker to Dark- and Ghost types? If I do take Kabutops, what set do you suggest?
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly (Adamant for Aqua Jet) Nature
- Aqua Jet / Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

TPP

Head TD
Looks good. One question, would Low Kick be worth it over another move?
For Kabutops its hard to say, but for Tornadus-T, I think its best to run Life Orb and a mixed set with Super Power just because you can spam Hurricane. Superpower will help get rid of Tyranitars that try to get rid of your rain, and its very handy against other steel types. This way, Kabutops can keep its moveset.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe (I changed the EV's so you run max speed and still 1HKO Tyranitar with Superpower.
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt / Knock Off

For Kabutops its hard to say, but for Tornadus-T, I think its best to run Life Orb and a mixed set with Super Power just because you can spam Hurricane. Superpower will help get rid of Tyranitars that try to get rid of your rain, and its very handy against other steel types. This way, Kabutops can keep its moveset.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe (I changed the EV's so you run max speed and still 1HKO Tyranitar with Superpower.
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt / Knock Off
I have one problem with doing that, it makes my team extremely weak to Ferrothorn.
Calcs:

76 Atk Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 178-210 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meaning, I only need to weaken it a bit.
Also Iron Barbs hurt.
Life Orb I feel doesn't support my team as much as Assault Vest.

TPP

Head TD
I have one problem with doing that, it makes my team extremely weak to Ferrothorn.
Calcs:

76 Atk Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 178-210 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meaning, I only need to weaken it a bit.
Also Iron Barbs hurt.
Life Orb I feel doesn't support my team as much as Assault Vest.
Just Use Mega Torterra

I think Focus Blast will help you better in that case, and your rain team gets rid of Tyranitar, so its not a major threat. I still feel like Life Orb may be worth it because Hurricane will be able to do maximum damage with perfect accuracy. Its just an offensive option, and assault vest works well as you said before. Ferrothorn will be harder to kill since you also run rain. Other team members you could potentially consider are Kingdra or Ludicolo. They both have swift swim and they can both be monsters with that speed. I'm not sure who to take off, but its just an option. I feel like Chansey gives you some problems because you don't exactly have a set up Sweeper besides Swampert. Kabutops with SD should solve that and 1HKO a lot of things. Another member you could consider would be Magnezone because of your slight troubles killing Ferrothorn. Only problem is that HP Fire won't do much in rain.

Just Use Mega Torterra

I think Focus Blast will help you better in that case, and your rain team gets rid of Tyranitar, so its not a major threat. I still feel like Life Orb may be worth it because Hurricane will be able to do maximum damage with perfect accuracy. Its just an offensive option, and assault vest works well as you said before. Ferrothorn will be harder to kill since you also run rain. Other team members you could potentially consider are Kingdra or Ludicolo. They both have swift swim and they can both be monsters with that speed. I'm not sure who to take off, but its just an option. I feel like Chansey gives you some problems because you don't exactly have a set up Sweeper besides Swampert. Kabutops with SD should solve that and 1HKO a lot of things. Another member you could consider would be Magnezone because of your slight troubles killing Ferrothorn. Only problem is that HP Fire won't do much in rain.
Really, Chansey is the reason I gave Ferrothorn Knock Off.
If Mega Torterra were released, I'd build a team with it faster than the speed of light.
In your face, Jessie and James.

TPP

Head TD
Really, Chansey is the reason I gave Ferrothorn Knock Off.
If Mega Torterra were released, I'd build a team with it faster than the speed of light.
In your face, Jessie and James.
I never thought about that lol. Ferro does a good job on Chansey, so you'll be fine. I want Mega Sinnoh Starters too. They have so much potential that its really exciting to think of what kind of Megas they would be. I think Infernape would get something like Adaptability or Sheer force, Torterra I think might get Thick Fat too, that would work out really well. Empoleon could be really bulky too, but who knows. Anyways, I think you'll be fine. I wanna say Adamant on Swampert, but I think it'll be fine.

I never thought about that lol. Ferro does a good job on Chansey, so you'll be fine. I want Mega Sinnoh Starters too. They have so much potential that its really exciting to think of what kind of Megas they would be. I think Infernape would get something like Adaptability or Sheer force, Torterra I think might get Thick Fat too, that would work out really well. Empoleon could be really bulky too, but who knows. Anyways, I think you'll be fine. I wanna say Adamant on Swampert, but I think it'll be fine.
Adamant Swampert loses speed against Scarfers, other base 70's and doesn't really need the Attack boost.
Meanwhile Jolly gets it higher speed than almost everything, hitting 524, outspeeding everything in rain. It also allows you to speed tie Metagross before mega-evolving and Breloom in a pinch.

TPP

Head TD
Adamant Swampert loses speed against Scarfers, other base 70's and doesn't really need the Attack boost.
Meanwhile Jolly gets it higher speed than almost everything, hitting 524, outspeeding everything in rain. It also allows you to speed tie Metagross before mega-evolving and Breloom in a pinch.
Good points indeed, although for Metagross and Breloom, I think Ferrothorn can handle them to a better degree, but yeah Jolly will probably be best like you said.

OK, there's 2 things wrong with this team: I have a large weakness to Ferrothorn, and I don't have a specially offensive sweeper. Does anyone have any ideas?

TPP

Head TD
OK, there's 2 things wrong with this team: I have a large weakness to Ferrothorn, and I don't have a specially offensive sweeper. Does anyone have any ideas?
You could use Ludicolo, as he has swift swim, access to Focus Blast, and resists Gyro Ball so he's a great option to beat Ferrothorn. On Politoad you could try out Rest as it allows Politoad to stay alive longer, and he shouldn't be staying in too long because he'd be wasting turns of rain, so Rest works. You should also take away the 4 Speed EV's and put them into special defense or attack. I'm not sure who to replace for Ludicolo, but you should also update your RMT to include Kabutops if you are still using it in place of Kabutops.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 221-263 (62.7 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (149 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 102-120 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You could use Ludicolo, as he has swift swim, access to Focus Blast, and resists Gyro Ball so he's a great option to beat Ferrothorn. On Politoed you could try out Rest as it allows Politoed to stay alive longer, and he shouldn't be staying in too long because he'd be wasting turns of rain, so Rest works. You should also take away the 4 Speed EV's and put them into special defense or attack. I'm not sure who to replace for Ludicolo, but you should also update your RMT to include Kabutops if you are still using it in place of Kabutops.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 221-263 (62.7 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (149 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 102-120 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Sounds good. I'm trying Ludicolo out as we speak. However, this removes my last means of priority. I would like a suggestion to help that issue, however, if you think priority isn't needed, let me know. Also, I won't remove the 4 speed EVs: they allow me to speed creep other Toeds. Which has come in clutch 2 times now, also, I don't need 1 point in anything. Speed is the only thing that actually helps out.

TPP

Head TD
Sounds good. I'm trying Ludicolo out as we speak. However, this removes my last means of priority. I would like a suggestion to help that issue, however, if you think priority isn't needed, let me know. Also, I won't remove the 4 speed EVs: they allow me to speed creep other Toeds. Which has come in clutch 2 times now, also, I don't need 1 point in anything. Speed is the only thing that actually helps out.
Sorry for not specifying, but the 4 speed evs are on Ferrothorn are the ones you need to take out. I think you should have Kabutops and Ludicolo together instead of just one of them. If you have both of them, your opponent will never have an easy time.

Sorry for not specifying, but the 4 speed evs are on Ferrothorn are the ones you need to take out. I think you should have Kabutops and Ludicolo together instead of just one of them. If you have both of them, your opponent will never have an easy time.
And what do I remove for Ludi? Also, 4 speed EVs make me outspeed other Ferrothorn. But that's probably a bad thing.

This team seems really good as an offensive rain team but I see it having problems with mega metagross. Most Mega Metas run grass knot, and some even run agility which would nullify swift swim for swampert and kabutops. Agility and GK are uncommon together though, and even without out speeding Mega M has a chance to live EQ from M Swamp if already Megad, even with a hasty nature. Take my word for it Grass Knot always OHKOs
252 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 284-336 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
The same is true for adamant MS and Naive MM, and EQ always OHKOs if Ad.MS and Hasty MM
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 312-368 (103.6 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
However, with Jolly MS and Naive MM you still have a chance to OHKO 252 Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 254-302 (84.3 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
It's pretty much the same story with +2 knock offs from LO kabutops except that never 100% OHKOs even wth hasty
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 291-343 (96.6 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Fortunately if agiligross with GK it also must have Meteor Mash, meaning with Hammer Arm as its last move it's more easily handled by lati, and with ice punch as last its walled by ferro. Sorry for the long post but I hoped to help by pointing out something that could threaten you team. With this you could justify CB azu over kabu as it can live an attack and could make ludiculo better so the team isn't so swift swim dependent.

TPP

Head TD
I'm going to ask this again, what do I replace for Ludicolo?
On most rain teams, I don't think they run a hazard remover (it could be Kabutops since he does learn rapid spin), and Ludicolo for Latias would probably be the easiest since Ludicolo beats most of the same pokemon as Latias, and at a much higher speed. Focus Blast on Ludicolo will help with getting rid of Ferrothorn, and to make up for losing Latias, you could add Rapid Spin on Kabutops. Only problem is fitting it in there with all the other moves. As mentioned above, Choice Band Scizor is also a great potential member as his only weakness is covered by rain, and he hits extremely hard with Bullet Punch, and provides you with a Pursuit trapper. You definitely wanna add Ludicolo because no one can deal with Rotom-Wash easily, and Ludicolo can handle it easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)