CM Mesprit Bulky Offense

What's your favorite Sinnoh Evo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
So i was cruising through the RU ladder and saw there wasnt many bulky psychic types in RU to abuse, so i decided to make that a bit of a change, by making a team based around my fav from the lake trio Mesprit. I couldnt decide on a playstyle at first, but i havent made any bulky offense teams on here so its worth a try.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SpA / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Magic Coat
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock

First of all, i built the team around mesprit, to make a lead and maybe keep it around for some time, or keep it around for some dark types like scrafty who try to set-up on it, it has enough sp att to have a 75% chance to OHKO scrafty with dazzling gleam, and has enough speed to outspeed non invested golbat and 2 shot it. Stealth rock is obvious here, and magic coat is mainly for mons like jellicent who try to will-o-wisp me and taunt me.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 64 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail

Here is my physical chunker, Aggron. Being my favorite choice banded pokemon in the tier, i decided to build around this with mesprit. 64 Speed with jolly allows the ability to outspeed Alomomola, and 1 shot it with head smash. Heavy slam is for fighting types like gurdurr on switch-in and fairies like aromatisse. Fire punch and aqua tail are the coverage moves on this set.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Here is your normal golbat, with a defensive build, being used as a fighting type check, and a defogger to remove hazards, I cant stand mono status moves, so brave bird is a nessecity, and golbat needs recovery to be really effective, and taunt for things like diancie who try to set up rocks.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Here's my special wall on the team, scrafty. Intimidate is an option, but it mainly comes down to wht your team needs more: sustain or supportability. Being none of these mons have set-up moves, i saw no need for Intimidate. Shed skin with rest is good on all mons with the ability, Scrafty, Arbok, Seviper, etc. drain punch for stab with knock, and taunt for things like SF golbat.

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Explosion
- Protect

Here's the Mega here, Glalie. Protect is a great thing for glalie for pokemon like hitmonlee with HJK, and pokemon who get burned by my next pokemon. Return is my prefered "stab" move over double edge, from recoil and rocks, glalie lacks sustain, so i chose return. Explosion is so good on glalie, 2HKOing everything in the tier except registeel and bronzong, and earthquake is coverage for things like magneton. Should i go HP FIRE on this instead of EQ for things like magneton and Escavalier?

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

The last mon on the team here is Magmortar. If mesprit wasn't on the squad, i would've picked delphox, but i think magmortar fits better for electric coverage and a glalie pseudo check, with scaring it with flame body. Flamerthrower is stab here, tbolt is coverage, HP is coverage for Toad and Gastro, and focus blast is for things like houndoom

I'm in love with this team imo, next team will be cacturne!

LBN

UPL Champion
i changed the set from CM 3 attacks mesprit ad i guess i forgot to chage the name. oops.

Hey, nice team, although I have some EV / set changes to improve your team. Also, I'm assuming you don't want Calm Mind Mesprit based on your post above and I'll keep it the same as what you have right now because you based your team around it. To consider in the future, Magmortar isn't really viable in RU but there are a plethora of other fire types to consider.

Running enough speed on Aggron just to outspeed Alomomola is not really enough as you miss out on the following threats; Blastoise, Max Speed Camerupt before Mega Evolution, Seismitoad. Out of these 3, Blastoise is very important to threaten with Head Smash and having it be faster can be dangerous due to Scald, also Max Speed Mega Camerupt is very common and can Mega Evolve and threaten you with Earth Power first turn. Bulk is not needed that much on Band Aggron as it really only switches in on resisted hits and is more meant to attack on switches or slower Pokemon. Therefore running max speed on Aggron is of the utmost importance. (Keep Max Atk and Adamant nature)

Having Scrafty as a Special Defensive wall is not optimal as it mainly functions as a setup sweeper. Also Shed Skin + Rest is very shakey, + several weaknesses in common types such as Fairy- and Fighting-types. A Pokemon that would form good defensive synergy with Golbat and work as a Defensive Wall is AV Tangrowth. AV Tangrowth over Scrafty helps with the majority of Electric types + Rock types that can threaten Golbat, while Golbat checks Poison types like Venusaur. Tang also helps against bulky waters which your team may struggle with due to lack of super effective moves and finally having a check to Virizion.

Protect is not very necessary on Mega Glalie due to having 2 fighting checks in Golbat and Bulky Mesprit. Priority is more important so that you can mega evolve on something that you can kill with ice shard and then mega evolve to gain speed. For this reason, I would run Ice Shard over Protect. Furthermore, Explosion does not have much use / is very situational, instead I would Freeze-Dry over Explosion so that you don't get walled by Bulky waters and can additionally hit toise + mola for SE damage. Based on this change I would change Mega Glalie to hasty and invest the 4 EVs in SpA.

Finally, I do agree that speed control is a needed component on this team, however Magmortar usually struggles with revenge killing threats and lacks defensive synergy + has an awkward speed tier. A great addition to this team would be something that can usually switch into Dark types moves + revenge kill Pokemon like Houndoom and Drapion which can be annoying for this team. For this reason I would suggest running Scarf Emboar over Magmortar. This also helps against Pokemon like Sneasel and Mega Glalie which can threaten your team without this, and additionally can outspeed Dugtrio.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Heavy Slam

Hope I helped with the changes. :toast:

LBN

UPL Champion
tbh it was scarf emboar b4 but i changed for a special attacker LOL, but thanks aswell for the changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)