Serious Common Core (USA)

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alternatively, adults are maybe better equipped to learn many things than elementary school kids are. I hope.
Obviously, if maturity and dedication were barriers to learning as an elementary schooler, an adult pursuing a job as a teacher (and the requisite education to get there) would be able to exceed his or her 1st-grade abilities.

And math really is taught in schools as rote memorization, but I don't know how one would teach logic/reasoning to the majority of schoolchildren... has anyone come up with a successful plan for that?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Meanwhile in India, they simplify things.

They actually use this chart to memorize up to 19x19.

And they have a special method called "rainbow multiplication" for multiplying stuff bigger than 10x10.

I think India ranks high in maths for a good reason!

After seeing the OP's post, I feel both sorry for my niece in a few years and dread what any kid I have will have to learn in the future. Making math look harder isn't going to inspire or entice kids anymore than how we learned it...

Once I figured out how the hell I'm supposed to read the picture in the OP, it instantly reminded me of counting in kindergarten and early second grade arithmetic, where you just count the integers that exist between each number and add one, the sign being a seperate logic leap of its' own lecture. It's really not an awful way to understand operations fundamentally??? I figure it's just ridiculous to be so consciously meticulous on paper, especially given the capacity of pretty much anyone reading this I'm guessing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)