Community Create-A-Team! SUMO OU Edition, [ROUND 4: SUBMISSIONS, ENDS 3/4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Charizard X

It appreciates having things like Tapu Fini baited out and eliminated by Keldeo. The only real competition here imo aside from my submission is Magearna 'cause pivot, but I feel like Mega Charizard X makes the most of the fact that it has Hyper Beam.

Between Zygarde, Char-X and Ash Gren, I feel Zygarde sort of encroaches on Keldeo's role by packing Toxic - outside of Toxapex, that sort of makes Fini and Tangrowth an issue that you don't really need a lure Keldeo to solve. Extreme Speed in that slot would make for a good answer to faster things like Phero, weakened Greninjas and Tapu Koko.

Char-X and Ash Greninja are close calls, but from a teambuilding perspective, I'd rather have the latter to solidify the team's capability to keep its momentum, sweep after a kill, and pack a priority move all in one.

Going with Ash Greninja.

Ash Greninja makes a solid core with z normalium z keldeo. Keldeo can weaken or get rid of fini, av tang, etc. Which are the major counters to ash gren rn.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Leooo_33's Ash Greninja won by a very large margin, getting 9 votes. Now is the time to post additional members, tagging pizzq to update title. Also please don't post anything that's unviable, at least higher than C+ or it will most likely be ignored, unless it compliments Ash Greninja + Keldeo very well. Here is the set one last time.
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Currently this team is looking boring, so let's spice it up a bit.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

We're building water spam. Water spam's biggest issues are AV Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, SpDef Gastro, etc. We need something that lures these. We need stealth rocks and we will need a cleaner that appreciates the weakening of bulky waters. Finally we need checks to common offensive threats that give this playstyle issues.

Megagross gets a free switch on Mega Venusaur, checks other Grass-types that give this core issues, and really appreciates the weakening of bulky Water-types, which Water spam easily accomplishes is. Since both of our water-types are breakers, I felt as though a cleaner was necessary, especially one that appreciates the wearing down of bulky Water-types. Finally I really want this team to be a little more fun and this set is definitely underrated, cleaning vs. a large portion of the metagame and has more surprise factor than say Autotomize Celesteela.

Attachments

Last edited:
Pancake hits the nail on the head.

Which is why I'm nominating a Bulky Stealth Rocker Alolan Marowak. Handles threats like Tapu Koko, provides Stealth Rock, and has good offensive presence to boot (along with spreading Wisp to cripple things like Landorus-T).

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 86 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

EVs are a bit specific: Speed EVs outspeed minus speed Celesteela (most commonly Sassy), 96 Atk means you hit the same Atk as the 16 Atk Adamant spread (which is generally the minimum Atk you want) and still hit damn hard (80% min with Shadow Bone to Mega Metagross, putting it in guaranteed KO range of Specs Normal Greninja's Water Shuriken). Max HP + 86 SpD and a boosting nature means Standard Volcarona can't 2HKO with HP Ground or OHKO with it at +2 (while Shadow Bone does 78% minimum), and Specs Lele Modest Moonblast is a 3HKO. Even with 0 Defense investment, you eat an Earthquake from Mega Metagross and live (37.5% chance to be OHKO'd after Rocks), and you still take U-Turns with ease.

Moves are fairly standard: Wisp to cripple common switch ins like Garchomp and Lando-T, as well as neutering almost all physical attackers, Shadow Bone for powerful STAB that lets you 2HKO Heatran and most anything that doesn't resist or have huge defensive investment, Fire Punch over Flare Blitz because you really don't want recoil damage, and Stealth Rocks over Bonemerang because we need something to set Rocks, and Bonemerang targets like Heatran are already handled by the team.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
What's the best way to make Water spam more annoying?

Rain.

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn

I don't believe there is a standard spread for this, so this is my own spread that's fairly straight forward. EVs outspeed standard defensive Venusaur so that we can Hurricane it, then max SpA and the rest in HP for bulk. Basically every problem between Keldeo and Greninja is handled by Pelipper (bulky grasses are wrecked by Hurricane, and Fini takes a solid 60% from it. Rain boosted Hydro Pump is absurd with the Specs factored in, and it makes stomaching Keldeo and Greninja a lot harder. Ice Beam and U-Turn are niche filler moves, as you'll be clicking Hurricane or Hydro Pump 90% of the time. It also forms a U-Turn momentum core with Greninja.

The elephant in the room here is 3 Water-types, meaning that there'd be a sizable weakness to both Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko. Fortunately, with the rain in, neither can switch in (Koko dies if it comes in on any Hydro Pump, while Bulu takes at least 60% from Hydro Pump after Terrain recovery). Probably won't win because it's the third Water-type, but Keldeo rain was hilarious in BW and Specs Water Shuriken in rain sounds amazing.

This team looks pretty weak to Pokemon like Tapu Koko. Additionally, we lack a reliable switchin to Tapu Fini if it comes in on ash-greninja.
Whats the best way how to deal with this? AV Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Speed
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Hidden Power Fire forms a nice way to hit Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. This helps as ferrothorn 1v1es ash-greninja late game and can act as a one time switchin if it is at full. Mega Scizor is not particularly irritating, but it still gives free momentum. Tangrowth also functions as a nice pivot. The 8 Speed EVs are for other Tangrowth with -Speed.

Reactions: Leo

Hayburner

WHAT A POGGER CURRY!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Mons like magearna, koko, scarf lele, zardy are all annoying for those mons so a mon to reliably revenge all (needs slight chip on lele):
Scarf garchomp

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Voting is now over, please don't vote for your own mon. Here are the applicants. Voting will close tomorrow at ~5:30.

pancake's Metagross
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

TURBODERP's Marowak-A
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 86 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

Ema Skye's Specs Pelipper
Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn

vsomani's Tangrowth
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Speed
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Hayburner's Garchomp
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)