Computer Troubleshooting Thread

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Java / Flash console lately. Every now and then, it will either exit by itself, or have an illegal error, forcing me to restart my stuff (Happens to Pogo, Shoddy, Flash Games). I've tried reinstalling Firefox, IE, Java, and Flash, but none of them works. Any idea how?

This isn't really a troubleshoot but how would I increase the frames per second generated in a game without lowering the graphic quality or modifying my hardware?

I dont think this is as much of a PC problem than an IE problem.
I have IE7 but sometimes when I try to open a new tab from the tab bar, the whole window just closes. This also happens when I sometimes middle-click a link to open in a new tab.
Could someone please tell me whats wrong since many times I have to download big files all over again..

Thanks!

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Um, I'm having some trouble with my computer's sound output. Every time I my speakers, I'm met with huge amounts of static. I already reinstalled the drivers, so I don't think that's the problem. The problem isn't with the speakers either, since I connected them to my my iPod. That didn't cause any static. So, any idea?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I had that happened to me, and I just uninstalled the music player and installed it again, that worked for me, I don't know for you, good luck!

Gmax

kuahahahaha
I had that happened to me, and I just uninstalled the music player and installed it again, that worked for me, I don't know for you, good luck!
I don't think it's about music players :( even if I have no music player running the thing just emits huge bursts of static. Uh, it also affects voice chat, feed going from my side carries static.

I don't think it's about music players :( even if I have no music player running the thing just emits huge bursts of static. Uh, it also affects voice chat, feed going from my side carries static.
Check you connected your sound card right, It may be damaged or not properly set up/

I have another question:
Where can I get free music downloads? I need it for my spriting vids, many people dont watch because of no music. Does anyone know where to get free music for download? It doesnt have to be good, heck EVEN the pokemon theme song!! would be ok...

i have a wireless router(d-link)that whenever i plug it in to my tower, i lose internet. the wifi works great, but i cant use both at the same time. is there a good reason for this and a good way to fix it?
i still havent figured it out

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I think my brother downloaded something and somehow I got this trojan / worm thing, something called dll and system32 apparently, anyone know how to get rid of this or some program that might be useful in removing or cleaning the virus in my computer, I currently use Spybot and Avast in tandem, but I want to make sure .__.

Hey, My Drive a Got Broken and this error message keeps popping up whenever i shut down the Computer, any help?

How can I change the language on windos vista?
I tried to change the thing were it says display languages but it is still in English, which i don´t want.

If you can PM me an answer, it would be better.

I downloaded a virus somehow and my virus protection program cannot get rid of it.

Incident name: C:\Windows\TEMP\~os980B.tmp\ossproxy.exe
Detection name: ADW_RELEVANT

I went into the specific folder and could not find the specific thing it is trying to delete. I tried deleting the entire folder but it keeps on giving me an error because it is "running in another program."

So I need to delete it manually but I can't.

Help please. Many thanks.
I'm sure there a program that you can use to find out what programs are running what programs. What I would suggest is that you download one of these programs (if there are any as I am not even sure if they exist) and close the program that is using the virus then attempt to delete it. Malware likes to do this kind of bad stuff so people cannot delete it easily.

I hope I helped.

Merged post:

Files with the .tmp extension are temporary files and are often deleted by the computer automatically when it is done using them.

I would go into the task manager and close all unnecessary processes except for your virus protection. For example, on my computer I have iTunes and Steam as well as many other unneeded programs in the background... by turning them off I can greatly increase the performance of my computer (I generally do this when I am playing high-end PC games); I believe you should do this until you get your problem solved. If you are using Windows XP you can find this information here.

I would do a system defragmentation, than afterwards I would re-scan the PC with your Anti-Virus software.

Lets take this via PM from now on.

@ 100kvolts: Glad to help.

How can I change the language on windos vista?
I tried to change the thing were it says display languages but it is still in English, which i don´t want.

If you can PM me an answer, it would be better.
If you have Windows Home Basic or Windows Premium you cannot do this unless you decide to buy the Spanish Version of Vista ($325). Only Windows Business (I'm not sure) and Ultimate can change languages without having to buy the $325 software and even then it isn't as simple as 'just changing the settings'. This is something that can easily be figured out with some quick and efficient searching on Google.

Also PM'd, posted here in case anyone else was wondering.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Anyone here good against malware?

I got it about a month ago while downloading a ROM (I am an idiot D: ), and I was too preoccupied to do anything to fix it. My mistake. I lost function of most programs other than Microsoft office and IE booting up immediately (they take about 20 min to boot up...), moving files, adding music to iTunes, add and delete programs, and switching Windows accounts without logging out or retasrting the computer. The computer also has sporadic mini-freezes that interfere with my typing severely (I had to read over this post several times, and the word "several" came out as "seral" the first time). Any function is a hassle, because the malware takes up so much CPU that it bounces around to anywhere between 40 to 100%.

No program so far has worked. I tried my own anti-virus, A-squared, and Spybot S&D, which l failed, and I'm not computer saavy enough to try HijackThis. I lost my Windows XP OS disc, so I can't really reformat.

Any help, please? :(

I would try deleting your ROMs and any unimportant recently modified files, I would also suggest running the computer in Safe Mode where the computer only uses the absolute minimum to run.

I'm not sure but places like Best Buy and such may be able to reformat your PC at a price.

I would also suggest that in the future you do not go to sites that contain ROMs and such as they are known to carry malware such as trojan viruses or at least be careful while doing so.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
It was from a "trusted site". Although I deleted the culprit a long time ago, just not before it spread. :( But yeah, I'm not doing that shit again.

I found Roguefix, anyone familiar with it? The problems it describes are pretty much the same wracking my computer. I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll go to BestBuy and see if it will, though it's a desktop and someone will have to come to our house and do it. x_x;

I kind of have a doubt Malwarebytes would work, seeing as how many other similar programs have failed (just used Rootkit finder, didn't know I would neet the same "success" as with HijackThis).

EDIT;; Well, what do you know, I subconsciously already downloaded Malwarebytes. I'll give it a shot.

This only happens when I have mozilla up, not chrome for some reason.

I have NOD32, which doesn't find anything wrong, but spybot finds the virtumonde trojan

suggestions? (other than stop using firefox)

This only happens when I have mozilla up, not chrome for some reason.

I have NOD32, which doesn't find anything wrong, but spybot finds the virtumonde trojan

suggestions? (other than stop using firefox)

Thats because It "tries" to install an "antivirus" into your computer(w/c is not, it just makes your computer worse), try installing PC Doctor antivirus, Its free and it helped me.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Not really a problem, so much as a general computer question. I recently came into a 20-year-old 27' television. I'm considering buying myself a new computer if my grades are high enough come mid-terms (as a way of motivating myself to do my work), and I found an S-video-to-RCA adapter online. Obviously this would save me a lot of money, but I'm wondering if the quality is good enough to warrant me purchasing the cable instead of an actual monitor. Has anyone here used one of these cables before?

My laptop has 2 drives, (C:) and (D:), C has 94.1 GB and only 2.85 GB of that is still free. D however, has 46.0 GB, which are all free. I have Steam and a number of other programs saved to my C drive, so they are constantly updating and taking up more space. I wondered if it was possible to get rid of this partition and merge them into one drive?

I tried moving all of my Steam to D a while back, but after an hour of it all moving over, apparantly a file was missing, so I had to move them all back over, delete all my games and updates and download them all overnight again, so I'd prefer not to do that another time.

If it is possible to (without killing my Steam) then I could move Steam over and have the C as my general space. But there is the matter that I need to ensure that any Steam updates are copied onto D after the move, rather than them being copied to C uselessly.

Any help on this would be really appreciated, because it's really annoying me.

Cheers in advance :)

Not really a problem, so much as a general computer question. I recently came into a 20-year-old 27' television. I'm considering buying myself a new computer if my grades are high enough come mid-terms (as a way of motivating myself to do my work), and I found an S-video-to-RCA adapter online. Obviously this would save me a lot of money, but I'm wondering if the quality is good enough to warrant me purchasing the cable instead of an actual monitor. Has anyone here used one of these cables before?
I use one of those all the time. It's really handy.

My computer runs slow, really slow--it takes about ten minutes to get it started up, and then at least four more to run any program on a good day. In addition, it often freezes up if I try to save something in Word, run Shoddy, try to Alt + Tab, or whenever I'm doing anything, actually. I'm also having this problem where my Firewall randomly turns off and updates don't install properly on that or in Firefox (it downloads them multiple times but cannot install them). I also can't defrag it anymore, no matter how much stuff I delete from it.

After numerous scans for malware and viruses I don't think it has anything to do with malicious programs but with the computer itself. My friend suggested that I restore factory settings but I don't have the money to buy an external hard drive to back up my computer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)