CONGRATS TO INVITATIONAL QUALIFIERS and Circuit Feedback Thread!

I'll be honest, I became active on Smogon and Pokemon Showdown because of this tournament circuit. I saw the post on Smogon's Facebook page back in, what was it, February? And I joined right there and then. Up until then all I had been doing was the VGC doubles format on the 3DS. I wasn't too bad, at least I don't think I was too bad at it. But every once in a while I would come up against a team that just wrecked me. The first time I ran into Subtran I almost cried. But then I became active, and since then I feel that I have learned a lot. I had a good shot at getting into the invitationals, but I tripped over finally and couldn't make it any farther. Sorry Matt for knocking you out of the running and then not making it myself.

I know this may not be received well, but I personally think that we could easily keep the format of the tournaments exactly the way they are and increase the the number of those that make it to the invitationals by changing one little detail: Once you hit 100 points and make it to the invitational, you can't participate in any more tourneys. Or something to that effect, because 8 out of the top 16 players in the major tourney already had more than 100 points. I know a few players who could have made it if they hadn't been knocked out by players who were already in the invitational.

Again, I know that it won't be received well.

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll be honest, I became active on Smogon and Pokemon Showdown because of this tournament circuit. I saw the post on Smogon's Facebook page back in, what was it, February? And I joined right there and then. Up until then all I had been doing was the VGC doubles format on the 3DS. I wasn't too bad, at least I don't think I was too bad at it. But every once in a while I would come up against a team that just wrecked me. The first time I ran into Subtran I almost cried. But then I became active, and since then I feel that I have learned a lot. I had a good shot at getting into the invitationals, but I tripped over finally and couldn't make it any farther. Sorry Matt for knocking you out of the running and then not making it myself.

I know this may not be received well, but I personally think that we could easily keep the format of the tournaments exactly the way they are and increase the the number of those that make it to the invitationals by changing one little detail: Once you hit 100 points and make it to the invitational, you can't participate in any more tourneys. Or something to that effect, because 8 out of the top 16 players in the major tourney already had more than 100 points. I know a few players who could have made it if they hadn't been knocked out by players who were already in the invitational.

Again, I know that it won't be received well.
the 100 stop rule is a reasonable suggestion, no need to down yourself man
its just most people play to have fun even if theyve already qualified and thats why disallowing people from having fun in the forme of participation in more tournaments is looked down on as weird
its a tradeoff between letting ppl participate more in seasonal/major tournaments vs letting more ppl into invitationals and neither is necessarilly better

Ok so i thought of a couple of things.

I assume positioning in the standings will be used for seeding in invitationals? If that's the case, how can haruno win the major, and be a finalist in a seasonal and still finish lower than TFC? Haruno also had a much more consistent minitour performance. Maybe the major winner should get more points than the semi finalists, like 120 points?

Also, why is there an option for 50 points for 9-12th place in major, and no one got 50 points? Granted it is hard to work out who gets 50, but then it shouldnt be on the points breakdown

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ok so i thought of a couple of things.

I assume positioning in the standings will be used for seeding in invitationals? If that's the case, how can haruno win the major, and be a finalist in a seasonal and still finish lower than TFC? Haruno also had a much more consistent minitour performance. Maybe the major winner should get more points than the semi finalists, like 120 points?

Also, why is there an option for 50 points for 9-12th place in major, and no one got 50 points? Granted it is hard to work out who gets 50, but then it shouldnt be on the points breakdown
Because tfc had a better performance in the first seasonal and did well in both major and seasonal. Though ultimately it wouldn't matter since if we go by seeding then the top 3 seeds get a R1 bye. And I did poorly in minitours and they gave jack shit for points lol.

As for your second question, the reason why no one got 50 points was because it doesn't matter to them since no one would've been able to make invitarionals from the 50 points anyhow and the only person who could've reached invitarionals from getting top 8 in majors was memoric (Koolkranny would've been one point off lol).

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I asked Pwnemon if I should bother matching up the losers in R16 to find top 12 vs top 16 diversification. But since no one would actually make it with those 20 extra, we agreed to not do it.

Because tfc had a better performance in the first seasonal and did well in both major and seasonal. Though ultimately it wouldn't matter since if we go by seeding then the top 3 seeds get a R1 bye. And I did poorly in minitours and they gave jack shit for points lol.

As for your second question, the reason why no one got 50 points was because it doesn't matter to them since no one would've been able to make invitarionals from the 50 points anyhow and the only person who could've reached invitarionals from getting top 8 in majors was memoric (Koolkranny would've been one point off lol).
Actually the points I earned from minitour 4 and 5 were never entered, but since I didn't make the top 8 I didn't put up a fuss.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Actually the points I earned from minitour 4 and 5 were never entered, but since I didn't make the top 8 I didn't put up a fuss.
you got subbed out of mt5 leaving you with 0 points, but you did get top 32 in mt4. oops.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
I respect your thoughts but strongly disagree with this. You'll have some people who may pull these good players in earlier tournaments and end up getting shafted because they pulled them, so why is it okay if this happens to people in the earlier tournaments but not okay later in the season? Heck, those over 100 points should be encouraged to continue to play because it makes sure that there's a consistent skill level throughout all of the tournaments. I'd much rather have to face Haruno or TFC or Pwnemon in the finals than someone that probably would have lost to those three or the 8 other 100+ point players in the tournament. It keeps the tournaments more competitive, and it doesn't allow anyone to get "free points" later in the season. Sure, you may still have unlucky draws, but if you can't beat the people who are making the invitational, it doesn't give you a strong case considering you're not able to put up a fight against the people you'd have to play in the tournament you're trying so hard to get to.

Invitationals are supposed to be a tournament for the top players to duke it out. We don't really need to increase the numbers, considering 16 out of less than 200 is more than fair. I probably sound elitist and pompous saying this considering I'm invited, but that's how it was intended to work.

Last edited:
Sorry if only those who made it into the tour are supposed to post.
One suggestion I'd have is to make it so that instead of everyone who broke 100 points makes it in, the top 16 (or a number to give the top few players a bye) play. This does two things: makes the tournament be larger (without being too big) and encouraged more competition among the players in a minitour. If two people are vying for the #16 spot, then they will probably take the battle much more seriously than if it were just two people who have 79 points (1 shy of the cutoff if it were the last minitour's finals). This means that the big seasonals are still important and weighted more but it lets the minitour's be used as tie breakers for the seasonals. In my opinion, the minitour's were so non important because you need to get 1st in 5 of them to get into the invitationals rather than place well in 2 or 3 majors.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Sorry if only those who made it into the tour are supposed to post.
One suggestion I'd have is to make it so that instead of everyone who broke 100 points makes it in, the top 16 (or a number to give the top few players a bye) play. This does two things: makes the tournament be larger (without being too big) and encouraged more competition among the players in a minitour. If two people are vying for the #16 spot, then they will probably take the battle much more seriously than if it were just two people who have 79 points (1 shy of the cutoff if it were the last minitour's finals). This means that the big seasonals are still important and weighted more but it lets the minitour's be used as tie breakers for the seasonals. In my opinion, the minitour's were so non important because you need to get 1st in 5 of them to get into the invitationals rather than place well in 2 or 3 majors.
This is okay, yeah, but it also encourages backstabbing a bit more. Late in the season, you'll get desperate players trying to help others beat someone because they lost early in a tournament and need to retain their lead, which promotes cheering against people...which is usually kind of awful. Having the bar in place helps ensure that you're in control of your own fate. Sure, you technically are anyways with a top 16 system, but promoting cheering against people is kind of bad usually.

I don't think adding two more people / having a fixed number are reason enough to change it. Thought it ended up being fine this year structurally, but the point payouts might need some tweaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)