Project Core Analysis Workshop (Discussing Threats to and Partners for Garchomp + Landorus-T)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is my calling :)

Threats:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze / Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost / Dragon Pulse

Charizard-Y forces out Ferrothorn with its STAB and also KOs Jellicent with the combination of sun-boosted Fire Blast and Solar Beam after rocks regardless of nature. It is a very powerful attacker in general. Solar Power is situational, but Solar Power-boosted base Charizard is more powerful than Mega Charizard Y due to it being an effective Choice Specs boost, making it cool if you don't mind risking Zard taking a little damage on one or two of its attacks.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent in Sun: 117-138 (29 - 34.2%) -- 99.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 226-268 (56 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

12.5%+29%+56%=97.5%

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Magnezone does a number on this core, trapping and OHKOing Ferrothorn with HP Fire and also dealing heavy damage to Jellicent with its choice of Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. Do note, however, that Jellicent is such a specially defensive monster that T-Bolt can't guarantee the OHKO on it from full health and that it can predict a Volt Switch in a pinch if it is at full health and use Recover to stay at healthy after a Volt Switch, which is just evidence that people have been sleeping on this thing for way too long

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 360-426 (89.3 - 105.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As an aside, please take note of the fact that 44 spe variants of Jellicent only have a 12.5% chance of being OHKOed while max/max variants have a 25% chance to avoid an OHKO it after rocks. Jellicent is insanely fat on the special side :D

Partners:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Timid / Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect / Roar

Please for the love of god don't run Calm with the first spread and please for the love of god don't run Timid with the second spread. Anyway, I've talked about Ferro+utility Tran+Jellicent before in the old good cores thread, and I'm not gonna elaborate too much as the post I made after innovating it (which can be found here) covers just about everything you need to know about this three-mon core. A tl;dr of that post is as follows: FWG, stacks hazards, absorbs Fire-type moves for Ferrothorn, Jelly absorbs scalds and spinblocks, Ferro improves Tran's longevity with Leech Seed.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings / Flame Body (shoutouts to Clair)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe OR 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Careful / Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up / Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

This forms an FWG core and is able to just kinda 6:0 certain teams with Bulk Up while just generally being a good backup stallbreaker for Jellicent. The synergy is good, with it cockblocking Grass-types outside of (Rock Slide/Ancient Power/HP Rock lures) for Jellicent and covering Fire-types for Ferrothorn in exchange for them both covering waters and Ferrothorn covering Rock-types and Electric-types barring Manectric and Magnezone (although both of these can be stalled with Roosts if Gale Wings is used as well as being caught on the switch by Wisp, waring them down while stalling). PhysDef Talon is a very underrated set considering what it checks, which is why I've slashed it in, and either SpD or PhysDef with Flame Body (as innovated by the god Clair in puppet theatre) just kinda shits on a lot of stall builds, although I wouldn't run it with Bulk Up as imo Bulk Up is too reliant on Gale Wings to retain the offense matchup+longevity by comparison to Taunt+Wisp.

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 44 HP / 224 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn / Pain Split / Toxic / Scald

The lord himself makes for a glorious core with this twosome. It cockblocks Electric-types--namely including Magnezone and Manectric, who both shit on this core--provides role stacking with Ferrothorn by punishing contact moves with the core of Iron Barbs Ferro and Helmet+Static Stunfisk, and with it providing hazard stacking alongside Jellicent the master spinblocker and Ferrothorn the spiky lord. In addition, Scald allows it to lure out deal decent damage to and potentially burn Lando-T, which is useful considering that SD variants do a number on this core. Normally I'm not big on Scald Fisk, but here it is definitely useful. In exchange, Ferrothorn covers PhysDef SD-less Lando-T and Grass-types for Stunfisk, Jellicent eases certain matchups for Fisk with its own Scald and Wisp and both Jellicent and Ferro cover Water-types nicely.

Last edited:
Threats

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Kyurem-B simply slices through both members with Fusion Bolt and Hidden Power [Fire] for Jellicent and Ferrothron respectively. However Ferrothron actually has a chance to KO it with Gyro Ball, while Jellicent can only burn it, but it still takes a ton of damage

4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 398-471 (98.5 - 116.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt burned Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 63.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 250-296 (71 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Force Palm
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Breloom also slices through both members of this core rather easily through it's STAB combination. However Jellicent can burn it if it happens to switch-in on Jellicent or Bullet Seed only issues a roll of 1 seed.

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Force Palm vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 283-335 (80.3 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 702-828 (173.7 - 204.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partners

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 124 SpD / 48 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off

Defensive Infernape is a pretty nice partner since it finishes off the F / W / G core and it can burn both of the above threats swiftly, which amps up it's durability by a large percentage, a nice example is it avoids the 2HKO from Kyurem's Fusion Bolt after it is burns. Breloom also gets burns and it's damage output becomes rather laughable, especially if they lack Swords Dance which is stopped by Taunt, which also extents to Spore as well.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Soft-boiled

Clefable is hand downs the best partner for this cores since it just patches up so many weaknesses this core inherently has. It solidly check Mega Lopuuny, Breloom, Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Thundurus, etc. This variant is packing Thunderbolt since it gives it the ability to break past SpD Talonflame, who is actually quite the threat since Jellicent's Scald is pretty weak, so it lures it in expecting to force it out instead of vice versa

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think reserving 3 partners is a bit excessive. Granted gamer boy used Stunfisk as his third so I don't really mind, but it's more of a principle thing. You can smack me now if he only reserved 2 but I remember it being 3 from before. Anyway I think 2 should be the max for reservations within the first day but I no longer run this thread, I just wanted to put it out there.

Threat

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Roost

Yeah just a balance breaker that nukes this defensive core. Colbur + Wisp isn't helping Jellicent against a Dark-type special attacker, and Ferro is destroyed by Fire Blast. Flamethrower is a more reliable option if you don't want to miss, and it still nets the OHKO. Jellicent actually tanks the first Dark Pulse very nicely, but it can't do much back and once the Colbur Berry is gone you have this:

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 244-291 (60.5 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 468-551 (132.9 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 380-452 (107.9 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partner

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Earthquake
- Crunch

Truly an absurd pokemon right now, Tyranitar provides a ton of support to balance teams that have problems with decently fast breakers. Tyranitar helps immensely in checking Bisharp, HP Fire Latios, Mega Charizard Y, Gengar, Kyurem-Black, Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, SD Talonflame, and Mega Manectric. It's also helpful for weakened mons such as Mega Gardevoir, Terrakion, Mew, Mega Diancie, Mega Medicham, Serperior, Mega Metagross, and Volcarona before a Quiver Dance. In return Jellicent is a perfect Keldeo counter and between it and Ferrothorn, Azumarill variants are covered. They also deal with offensive threats to Ttar like Mega Scizor, Jirachi, and Mega Altaria, as well as defensive ones like Landorus-T, Gastrodon, Hippowdon and Garchomp.

Last edited:
Threat:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt

Gengar can easily 2hko both mons, and threatens the 0hko with a bit of prior damage. If it misses focus blast on Ferrothorn it could be in trouble though since it takes 90% min from gyro ball.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Jellicent: 257-304 (63.7 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think reserving 3 partners is a bit excessive. Granted gamer boy used Stunfisk as his third so I don't really mind, but it's more of a principle thing. You can smack me now if he only reserved 2 but I remember it being 3 from before. Anyway I think 2 should be the max for reservations within the first day but I no longer run this thread, I just wanted to put it out there.
I have a confusing habit of continuously updating my reserved post as I do these to make sure that I don't get ninja'd mid-post (look at the edit log of that one to see what I mean) so it kinda shifted around a lot. IIRC it started as 3 threats and either 1 or 2 partners (can't remember if I edited SpD Talon in or not) but quickly shifted around as I did more calcs and realised that Jellicent is more disgustingly fat than I had realised before (which is funny considering that I spam this thing like noone's business), with me dropping 2/3 of my original threats after realising that Heatran doesn't actually beat Jellicent if it Recovers on the turn Heatran uses Solar Beam and that even with PHerb+SBeam Volcanion still doesn't beat it 1v1 outside of poisoning Jellicent on the turn it comes in and it not using Recover as it Solar Beams and then adding Stunfisk late on due to a combination of me wanting to meme and seeing that it really does cockblock some of the bigger threats to the core. I was hesitant to do it tbh because I was thinking the same thing as you, with the only reason I ended up doing it being the fact that one of them was Stunfisk and as such was pretty obviously not going to win outside of some wierd circumstance where only threats are submitted.

Terrakion and Garchomp as threats.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Quick Attack

Although you have immunities or resistances to its STABs, Terrakion still causes a ton of pressure on you because a mispredict will cause you to lose a mon. Jellicent falls to Banded Stone Edge after Rocks while Ferrothorn faints to Close Combat.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Lum Berry Garchomp can set up on Jellicent without fearing a burn. Then, it can defeat Jellicent with a +2 Earthquake. +2 Earthquake also 2HKOes Ferrothorn.

Latios as a partner.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Latios outspeeds both Pokemon and OHKO them with its STAB attacks. It also provides support in the form of Defog.

Last edited:
Threat
: LO Emboar

Emboar @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sucker Punch
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 395-465 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 795-936 (225.8 - 265.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 330-390 (93.7 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

This D-ranked monster can almost OHKO this core alone due to its Sheer Power plus LO to highten its power even more. This pig outspeeds both pokemons and kills them; plain and simple.

Threat
: AV Conkeldurr

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 328-388 (81.1 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
and Jellicent can't do much in return because a status move makes AV Conkeldurr even more threatening.

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 192-228 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 288-338 (81.8 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 127-151 (36.1 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after toxic damage

ultimately, Conkeldurr wins (remaining at mid HP due to status + Iron Barbs)

Conkeldurr is a strange -but powerful- threat to this core due to the fact it appreciates detrimental status from Jellicent to enhance its power to tremendous levels thanks to high base Atk almost fully EV'd + Adamant nature along with Guts.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Threat: Serperior

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain

Serperior threatens Jellicent with its infamous Leaf Storm and Ferrothorn with its Hidden Power Fire. Once it comes on Jellicent, it can just press Leaf Storm and proceed to murder the core.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Jellicent: 315-374 (78.1 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 359-426 (101.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partner: Tornadus-T

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Torn-T provides the core a switch-in to Serperior and a way to kill it with its STAB Hurricane.

THREAT:

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-o-Wisp
- Toxic
- Recover

What better way to beat stall utility than to pit it with the king of stall utility. Sableye, like always, ROFL-stomps on most defensive cores and this core is absolutely no different. While it may get pissed by a Scald burn, it can still laughably annoy this core by bouncing back all the WoWs, Spikes, Leech Seeds, and Taunts.

PARTNER:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

A good number of the threats listed so far can be dealt with fairly well by this guy.

While the core is decent at keeping offense and occasionally balance at bay, it struggles usually against slower more walling teams. While the FWG core may be completed by another Pokemon, Landorus does a great job at taking Electric attacks meant for Jellicent and Fighting attacks meant for Ferrothorn, while being immune to Earthquakes that tend to annoy the core. As an added bonus on top of Jelli's WoW, it softens physical attackers more that can easily threaten it.

Likewise, Jelli can eat up both Ice and Water attacks that will otherwise destroy Lando. Lando may not be the one-man army the core needs to round itself out, but it would make for an excellent addition as a team player.

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Doing 4 days rather than 5 this time. Tons of good partner nominations again, and I am really glad to see this thread receiving more and more of them as the weeks go by. Top partners are:

Tyranitar by bludz - Great partner to trap users of Defog like Lati@s, allowing you to control the hazard game nicely with Jelli to block Pokemon like Starmie from removing Spikes. Aside from this, Tar provides further assistance by checking numerous offensive threats this core has issues with. This includes Gengar, Mega Manec, Zard-Y, Talon, Kyurem-B, Thund-I, and so on. This all makes Tar a very nice Pokemon to use with this core.

Clefable by -Magic- - Clefable helps immensely with Mega Sableye, who shuts this core down easily. In addition, Clefabe can check many other threats this core is bothered by, all while fitting nicely on the balanced teams Jelli + Ferro is found on. The win condition Clefable provides to teams with this core is also invaluable, and this fairy is appreciative of the assistance provided by burns and hazards to wear its checks down.

Tornadus-T by Amane Misa - I wanted the final partner selected to cover two other major threats to this core: Serp and Mega Venu. Torn-T does this job well, all while bringing a good deal of speed to an otherwise slow core and being able to take on other problematic Pokemon like Gengar and Breloom. The main advantage Torn-T has over other nominations like Talon in this regard is being able to function with no hazard removal, which would be a little counterproductive with Ferro running Spikes.

Here is our core for this round:

Goodra @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Muddy Water

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

In my mission to continue finding Pokemon or sets yet to be featured in either core analysis thread, I came across Goodra after reading something Gary2346 posted here. Although Goodra faces competition from various other dragons in OU, the little guy does have some cool things going for it. Aside from being able to check the newly released Volcanion, Goodra's immense special bulk and access to Sap Sipper allows it to check scary offensive threats like Serp, Thund-I, Zard-Y, and Mega Manec. While other Pokemon like Lati@s can also do something similar, Goodra isn't as vulnerable to being trapped and possess noticeably better coverage options to threaten Pokemon like Tar and Clef more. Manaphy loves having electrics and grasses checked, and Goodra does this well without being passive. In exchange for this help, Manaphy is able to break the specially bulky Pokemon Goodra can struggle with, such as Chansey and Mew. This combined with its ability to pressure fatter builds in general is nice because Goodra can find itself having a hard time in this regard. Lastly, grasses have seen an overall rise in popularity in the months passed, and it's neat how these two can essentially threaten them all between one another. For example, Goodra has the potential to lure Pokemon like Ferro, while Manaphy can break through others like Mega Venu, who can give Goodra a hard time 1v1.

You may now begin discussing threats and partners. Make sure to specify whether the Pokemon you mention is a threat or a partner. This will run for 4 or 5 days depending on activity. Have fun!

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Threat:

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Even with its enormous Special Defense, offensive Goodra is still cleanly OHKO'd by Latios' Draco Meteor. Manaphy is not OHKO'd but it takes ~80-95% from Draco so Latios can either easily revenge kill it, or make Manaphy easy to revenge kill for one of its teammates.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 277-328 (81.2 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 390-460 (121.4 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partner:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Heatran's typing allows it to come in on all Latios lacking the rare Earthquake or Surf and take advantage of it by using Toxic or setting up Stealth Rocks. Heatran also helps to stop certain things that pester this core even if they dont outright beat it like Celebi, Scizor, or Talonflame thanks to its great set of resistances.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Threat:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

It's very simple - Weavile outspeeds both, OHKOs Goodra with its Icicle Crash and KOs Manaphy after a some prior damage with Knock Off.

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 455-538 (141.7 - 167.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 195-230 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Partner:

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Atk / 60 Def / 92 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

(Stole this set from the RMT http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nightmare-volcanion-bulky-offense-peaked-1.3570538/. Please pardon me ^^)

Scizor provides the core with a reliable switch-in for Weavile and also helps dealing with Latios, which is very threatening to this core as posted above. The EV spread allows it to live Draco + HP Fire from Latios from full, as well as a HP Fire from Diancie and two Focus Blasts from a Modest Mega Gardevoir. The speed helps it outspeed Adamant Azumarill and Mega Venusaur and 2HKO Clefable with Bullet Punch. Furthermore, Scizor and Goodra are good partners in general, being able to switch-in on the other's most counters.

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Threat:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Thunder Punch

This powerful Wallbreaker easily eliminates Manaphy and Goodra using HJK or Ice and Thunder Punch, you can go to speed tiers with Manaphy, and neither comes on Medicham.

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 352-415 (103.2 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 471-555 (146.7 - 172.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
Threat

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Kyurem-Black's coverage allows it to hit both Goodra and Manaphy for super-effective damage. Because of Goodra's EV Spread, it doesn't have much investment in a defensive approach, this allows Ice Beam to hit Goodra even harder than it would if Goodra had, say, an Assault Vest which would allow it to even soft-check Kube. However, Kube has to make sure that Stealth Rock is in place to guarantee a KO on Goodra. Otherwise, Goodra can usually survive and cleanly KO with a Draco Meteor. Nevertheless, Kyurem-Black still forces out Goodra most of the time.

Alternatively, Kyurem-Black can also run Outrage and easily break through Goodra.

On the other hand, Kyurem-Black hits Manaphy very, very hard with Fusion Bolt. In addition, Kyurem-Black is the bulkiest offensive Pokemon in the tier and resists Manaphy's STAB and laughs off Ice Beam, Psychic, and Energy Ball, although a +3 Scald is going to hurt, especially in Rain or if it burns Kube. However, if Stealth Rock is in place, Kyurem-Black can guarantee a KO on Manaphy.

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 281-330 (87.5 - 102.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

20 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 302-356 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Threat:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

With just a little prior damage, Zard-X can OHKO Manaphy with Dragon Claw at +1. It can afford to set-up on Scald or a predicted Tail Glow. Goodra is outsped and OHKOed without needing to boost.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowbro resists all attacks Manaphy carries (unless it runs Energy Ball) and can Calm Mind on it. It can also Slack Off on a Draco Meteor and boost up while bypassing Goodra's Sp bulk with Psyshock.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Beedrill outspeeds both Pokemon and can take a decent chunk out of them with U-Turn or Poison Jab. It can even OHKO Goodra with Poison Jab if Goodra has a little prior damage.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Heal Bell

Altaria just laughs off Scald and Psychic from Manaphy while being able to set-up all over Goodra not locked into Sludge Wave. Return OHKOes Manaphy at +2 while Goodra is OHKOed without a boost.

Partner

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp provides the team with a strong priority move to pick off frail fast threats (Mega Beedrill) or weakened set-up sweepers (Zard-X). As long as you avoid a burn from Scald, LO Bisharp OHKOes Mega Slowbro with +2 Knock Off after Rocks.

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.
Even though we only received three partners this week, I've decided to add them all to the archive because I think each of the ones submitted work nicely with the core for reasons already mentioned. They are as follows: Mega Scizor by Amane Misa, Heatran by HailFall, and Bisharp by Random Passerby. Steel-types in general are nice alongside this core, and Scarf Jirachi is another partner worth mentioning. This gives an otherwise slow core some much needed speed to check offensive threats like Latios, Kyurem-B, and Weavile while providing Healing Wish to give, for example, Manaphy a second chance to break or sweep a team. New core below:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Mega Cham is something people have been pushing for a raise in the Viability Rankings lately, and I wanted to feature the Thunder Punch + Ice Punch set that's been gaining some attention recently as well. Although ditching Zen Headbutt may seem silly, the coverage electric + ice offers Mega Cham is really useful to deal with some of its usual responses. For example, Ice Punch makes quick work of bulky Ground-type checks like Lando-T, while Thunder Punch lures in and does heavy damage to the likes of Starmie and Slowbro. HJK coming from +Atk Mega Cham is really destructive and even lands a 2HKO on resists like standard mixed Clef, demonstrating its sheer wall breaking power. This aside, Mega Cham does have some problems with a few Pokemon, such as Mega Sableye, Talon, Mew, and less common things like Reuniclus. Additionally, even though standard Clef is taken down in two hits by HJK, it's still annoying for Mega Cham if it finds the chance to come in for free to use Thunder Wave or Moonblast. This is where Gliscor comes in, mainly being able to check all of these Pokemon nicely while benefiting from Mega Cham's ability to break down bulky Water-types and walls like Skarm.

You may now begin discussing threats and partners. Make sure to specify whether the Pokemon you mention is a threat or a partner. This will run for 4 or 5 days depending on activity. Have fun!

Last edited:

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Threat:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Gengar simply outspeeds both pokemon and ohkoes them both with the appropriate move.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 393-463 (150.5 - 177.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 400-473 (113.3 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Partner:

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Heat Wave / Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off

AV torn can come in on anything Gengar has to offer (including combination of Icy Wind + Sludge Wave) and do enough damage back with knock off to get a garunteed OHKO after only 2 turns of Life Orb recoil. Torn-T also helps this wall/stallbreaking core's matchup vs offense thanks to its great speed tier and powerful STAB move along with good coverage.

Gengar attacking:
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Icy Wind vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 117-138 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(117, 117, 120, 120, 122, 122, 125, 125, 127, 127, 130, 130, 133, 133, 135, 138)
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 148-175 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 48% chance to 2HKO
(148, 149, 152, 153, 156, 157, 157, 160, 161, 164, 165, 168, 169, 172, 173, 175)

138+175=313 and Torn has 323 HP after investment of 96 HP EVs. just dont get poisoned

Torn attacking:
0 Atk Tornadus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 212-250 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Threats:
1)

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Heat Wave
- Taunt / Hidden Power Ice

Torn-T outpaces Mega Medicham and OHKOes it with Hurricane. It also does 70% upwards to Gliscor and isn't OHKOed back. Skarm2x also recommends Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Gliscor from full HP.

2)

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast

Keldeo is faster than both Pokemon and can just click Hydro Pump to OHKO them.

Partner:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Thundurus helps to check Keldeo and Tornadus-T by threatening to OHKO them with STAB Thunderbolt. It also gives paralysis support to patch up the core's poor Speed and deter Choice Scarf users. Bulky waters which trouble the core are also pressured by Thundurus.

AraEDIT: Added gifs

Last edited:

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reserving mega Gardevoir as threat and AV metagross partner

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
Threat:

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Latios outspeeds both Mega Medicham and Gliscor and OHKOs both with its powerful STAB Draco Meteor. It can also switch-in on Gliscor, as it doesn't take much from its attacks due to the lack of Knock Off.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 317-374 (121.4 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 351-413 (99.4 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Gliscor Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 83-98 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Partner:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

I was uncertain whether to note Weavile or Tyranitar as partner but I decided Tyranitar would be a better option. Mega Medicham lures in Landorus-T for Tyranitar and in return Tyranitar takes care of Latios, Gengar and Tornadus-T for Mega Medicham and Gliscor. Unlike Tyranitar, Weavile is frail-ish and can't switch in too well against Latios due to the fear of Draco Meteor.

Last edited:
Tyranitar takes care of Latios, Gengar and Tornadus-T for Mega Medicham and Gliscor. Unlike Tyranitar, Weavile is frail-ish and can't switch in too well against Latios due to the fear of Draco Meteor.
A minor mistake.
Torn-T is faster than Scarf Ttar and OHKOes with LO Superpower. Perhaps you can use Chople Berry Ttar instead?

76 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 447-530 (131 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Martin

Adding to RandomPasserby's post above, AV also beats it:

0 Atk Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 316-376 (92.6 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
A minor mistake.
Torn-T is faster than Scarf Ttar and OHKOes with LO Superpower. Perhaps you can use Chople Berry Ttar instead?

76 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 447-530 (131 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Adding to RandomPasserby's post above, AV also beats it:

0 Atk Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 316-376 (92.6 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah, I am really mistaken here. So sorry! I will edit my post right away! Thanks all :)!

Threat

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage / Roost

Kyurem-B has been substancially dropping in usage recently, but that doesn't make it a weak Pokemon. Since Mega Medicham is not running Jolly (and it normally doesn't anymore) or Bullet Punch, Kyurem-B is able to outspeed it and OHKO it with Life Orb Outrage. Outrage is a really cool option for Life Orb Kyurem-B, and it absolutely obliterates teams who rely on a Pokemon such as Chansey for their Kyurem-B check. I shouldn't even need to say how many times over Gliscor gets OHKOed by Ice Beam, but even if you're locked into Outrage, it still easily 2HKOs after Poison Heal damage. Gliscor cannot 2HKO back with Stone Edge unless Kyurem-B has some serious prior damage, meaning the only way Kyurem-B can lose to it is through come crazy confusion hax. Ice Beam also does a massive chunk to Medicham, OHKOing after just a little bit of prior damage, so, with Roost, Kyurem-B is an even stronger check to Gliscor.
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Medicham: 305-360 (116.8 - 137.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 208-246 (79.6 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 244 HP / 112 Def Gliscor: 203-239 (57.6 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 660-780 (187.5 - 221.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)