Could you Rate my First Competitive Team

I'm new to competitive battling, and I'm even new to this forum, could you guys rate my team that I made, I am wanting to go into the Pokemon VGC next year, so I thought I might as well start now creating my team, and perfecting it for next year.

Here is my Team:

BigBug (Scolipede) (M) @ Focus Band
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 172 HP / 84 SDef / 252 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Baton Pass

I chose Scolipede as my spiker because he can learn both Toxic Spikes and Spikes. As well as he can learn Toxic and Baton Pass, helping with giving me a starting advantage, as well as being able to switch him out for one of my other guys.

SnowFlake (Cryogonal) @ Icicle Plate
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Sheer Cold
- Ice Beam
- Night Slash

I chose Cryogonal as my Rapid Spinner because he also has levitate, making it so he won't get damaged from the spikes and stealth rocks that were layed there before he got switched in. He also has moves like Sheer Cold, Ice Beam, and Night Slash so he can defend his own way in battle.

Batsy (Crobat) (M) @ Insect Plate
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 124 Def / 124 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- Confuse Ray
- Hypnosis
- U-turn

I chose Crobat as my Annoyer because he can learn Confuse Ray, as well as Toxic and Hypnosis so they can get even more damage, and he can switch out with U-Turn.

MonkeyMan (Ambipom) (M) @ Quick Claw
Trait: Technician
EVs: 56 HP / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 252 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

I chose Ambipom as my Baton-Passer because he can learn Agility, so he can pass on that speed boost. As well as he can learn Nasty Plot so he can pass on that Special Attack boost. He can also learn Substitute so he can pass that bit of a advantage on to the next pokemon as well.

Backlight (Chandelure) (M) @ Meadow Plate
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Flamethrower

I chose Chandelure as my Special Sweeper because he can learn the Shadow Ball, Psychic, and Flamethrower, which covers a bit of the disadvantages for my team. He can learn Energy Ball to help defend against it's on weaknesses.

Turtle (Blastoise) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 40 Def / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Aqua Ring
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Toxic

I chose Blastoise as my Tank because he is can learn Surf to defend against Rock, Ground, and Fire types. He can also learn moves like Ice Beam to defend against the Grass and Electric types that try to kill it, and he can learn Aqua Ring to give him some help when he is attacked to regain HP.

If you could please rate my team, and even give me suggestions on what to change on my team, that would really be appreciated.

VGC (at least this year) only allows 5th gen Pokemon, you can easily change Blastoise for Jellicent and Ambipom for Mienshao. I don't know what you'd change Crobat for though>_>

Also, try a Bold nature on Cryogonal over Impish. VGC is also only double battles.

With that in mind, good luck, and I hope this helped(:

I was also thinking of doing a local contest for me, or just a little online competition for me and my friends. What do you think of the team otherwise?, and is there anything that you think I could change to make it better?, Do you think that it is a solid-ish team at all?

You could put Metagross in instead of Cryogonal and out Rapid spin on Blastoise.

Metagross @ Leftovers/Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adament
EVs:16hp/252atk/240Sdef/4spd
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm/Earthquake
-Pursuit
The EVs ensure that Metagross only takes about ~48-56% from Specs Latios's Draco Meteor, and does ~79-93% with Pursuit if Latios switches out. Of course, you could go with a Choice Band and get a garunteed OHKO on Latios. Metagross also has several good resistances you lack. I also recommend putting a Choice Scarf on Chandelure. I hope this helps(:

*Metagross pic thanks to Aaragornbird, webmaster of Arkeis.

I think I might actually go for Metagross

But what attack should I get rid of on Blastoise for Rapid Spin?
I was thinking Toxic

One of my friends had an idea of having 3 guys to switch out every so often

The Cryogonal, Metagross, and a Raichu

With the Raichu knowing electro ball, volt switch, volt tackle, and iron tail

What do you think of that?

I wouldn't really recommend it. Metagross is pretty key with its resistancs and ability to destry things that threaten the rest of your team, like Latios and Salamence.

I notice how this is a VGC team but surf on Blastoise might be detrimental on your teammate. Why not substitute it for scald for it also has that 30% burn chance so you can still have rapid spin and spread status?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)