Counter Strike (Source/1.6)

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Counterstrike

Counterstrike is one of the few games I regularly play and it'd be cool to play it with other smogoners here! Also discuss favourite maps/weapons/tactics etc and servers to play on

I play mostly on 81.19.219.88:27015 , a British server that just has the normal office map. It automatically gives you full money so you can always afford full kit and it's pretty active.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[04:12:38] @m0nkfish » ive just had a great idea dude
[04:12:40] @m0nkfish » lets make a CLAN
[04:12:52] @cookie » lol
[04:12:57] @m0nkfish » clan smogon
[04:13:18] @cookie » i wanna play with more smogoners
[04:13:24] @m0nkfish » same
[04:13:27] @m0nkfish » i think stoo plays maybe?
[04:13:45] @cookie » i think junior/keloggs do
[04:13:57] @cookie » there should be a cs thread
[04:14:01] @cookie » it's a competitive game
[04:14:05] @m0nkfish » i agree

Who plays? There's a Smogon group on Steam of course but I can't find any way of seeing who of the group plays CS. It'd be cool if we could all play together!

also lol 04:14

I played a lot of 1.6, but when source came around i couldn't run it on my pc. i decided recently to get back into cs! unfortunately the community where i used to play, Wireplay, is pretty much dead these days (or at least focused on TF2) so i am scouting around for nice communities to join :)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have CS but I actually haven't even started it up since I bought it on my new Steam account. Used to play a bunch when I was younger. Used to play 1.6 but I own both versions now ($15 CS Collection during a steam sale sometime back).

I used to play on the NdN servers on 1.6. Was a really nice place. They had this no swearing policy and 100% of annoying people broke that rule so it kept the place pretty friendly for a CS server. Higher than average amount of teamwork too. Was nice =P

It's been quite awhile since I've played Counter-Strike on any game engine, mainly because I've been busy enjoying Team Fortress 2. Although I do think that Counter-Strike is a great game, I sometimes have difficulty enjoying it due to my cruddy aim and bad reflexes. I usually pick one of the automatic rifles. Although 90% of the time this means M4/AK, I'm kind of partial to famas, as the $1100 that you save by buying it instead of the M4 is enough to pay for vesthelm or three grenades plus a defuser. (I don't like unlimited money games, as they basically eliminate the starting pistols, mp5, famas, and all other eco-based weapons and allow everyone to have full armor each round.) My favorite maps are train and nuke.

i havent played counter strike (source) for at least a year or two (read: exactly when tf2 was released) and im not really that interested in getting back into it to be honest. i played it to death for about a year but i never got much better than average at it and wasted way too much time playing zombie mod a few years ago :|

i agree mostly with kiku that its far too much reflex aiming and whatnot and i think tf2 is a much deeper, better game (not to turn this into a shooter argument or whatever), and since im just starting to get into the more competitive side of that, i think playing cs would probably dick on alot of the skills that are important in tf2 (movement prediction, spacing, and tactical retreating among other stuff that counter strike doesnt really require)

would still be cool to see something take off though if you guys do get something going!

Nothing that you learn about aiming from TF2 is applicable to CS (and visa versa). TF2 is mostly projectiles with a few hitscan weapons mixed in, and the main hitscan class (scout) is pulling off crazy acrobatic maneuvers most of the time (including while he's firing his gun) and he has to fight against scouts who are doing the same. CS is basically firing hitscan weapons from a stationary position at stationary targets. That being said, there is a lot of strategy involved in CS and I'd argue that it requires even better communication between teammates than TF2, but at the end of the day a lot of it comes down to whether you can aim better than the guy who's firing at you.

Amba spy is basically a deagle and the 3 of the 4 best snipers I know were comp css players with one being on a pro team.

Yeah I play 1.6 with friends. The shooting is pretty hard to master; it's not just a matter of aiming. But there is quite a bit of strategy when you play actual scrims. Not to mention CS was very popular internationally back in the day.

I play, but not so much because of my brother (Rysta) cracking it at me for using up all the internet hours >.<

But still, if you see a "Fluffy Bunny" bouncing around, that'd be me, and half the time with my little bro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)