Counters Plat's most OUs

I figured some of the Platinum threats can be countered with the addition of a few BLs like P2, Donphan, and Moltres (damn that's 1/2 my team!). The reason being their Stats, typing, and exclusive movesets.

Here is my shot at countering many OU Platinum threats, don't hestitate to respond.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Modest
240 HP / 164 Def / 12 SpA / 92 SpD
-Ice Beam
-Discharge
-Magic Coat
-Recover

Strong lead, serves as an Anti-Status pokemon thanks to Magic Coat.

Trace allows it to counter Gyarados, Heatran, Gengar *Magic Coat Hypnosis + Immunity to Shadow Ball, Flygon, Jolteon, Salamence, Vaporeon *Magic Coat bounces back Toxic versions, and even some Rotom that don't use Rest *Immunity to Shadow Ball, bounces back W-o-w/Thunder Wave, and due to Rotom not having a reliable recovery move, Porygon2 can simply outstall it. Also counters Hypnosis/EQ Bronzong by copying Levitate with Trace and sending Hypnosis right back at it, plus since P2 is slow, Gyro Ball wont be doing much...

Forretress @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
-Stealth Rocks
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic Spikes
-Explosion

Sets up SRocks, Toxic Spikes, spins away Rocks and Explodes.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Heat Wave
-Roost

Ice is covered with Vaporeon, and Donphan's Ice Shard.
Counters Vaporeon, Scizor, Heracross, Breloom, Metagross, Lucario, Skymin, Gyarados, and Gliscor.

Heatran@ Leftovers
Bold
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Explosion

Counters other Scarf/Specs Heatran, Scizor, Skarmary, Weavile, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, etc. Even Blissey.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold
188 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpA
-Wish
-Hidden Power [Electric]
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Water Absorber, and takes Ice Beams for my Donphan and Zapdos. My generic team healer.

Counters Gyarados, and numerous others like Heatran.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Impish
176 HP / 100 Attack / 176 Special Defense / 56 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Pursuit
-Roost

Hits, Heals, and scouts (U-turn).

Takes Grass, Bug, Dragon, and Ice attacks quite well.

Overall 4/6 of my Pokemon know a recovery move, and have key Resistances/Immunities. They support each other with Wish, Rapid Spin, and each serve their own purpose. Basically they are all worth a place on my team.

I figured some of the Platinum threats can be countered with the addition of a few BLs like P2, Donphan, and Moltres (damn that's 1/2 my team!). The reason being their Stats, typing, and exclusive movesets.

Here is my shot at countering many OU Platinum threats, don't hestitate to respond.

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Modest
240 HP / 164 Def / 12 SpA / 92 SpD
-Ice Beam
-Discharge
-Magic Coat
-Recover

Strong lead, serves as an Anti-Status pokemon thanks to Magic Coat.

Trace allows it to counter Gyarados, Heatran, Gengar *Magic Coat Hypnosis + Immunity to Shadow Ball, Flygon, Jolteon, Salamence, Vaporeon *Magic Coat bounces back Toxic versions, and even some Rotom that don't use Rest *Immunity to Shadow Ball, bounces back W-o-w/Thunder Wave, and due to Rotom not having a reliable recovery move, Porygon2 can simply outstall it. Also counters Hypnosis/EQ Bronzong by copying Levitate with Trace and sending Hypnosis right back at it, plus since P2 is slow, Gyro Ball wont be doing much...

I've really fallen in love recently with porygon2, and I'm glad to see it's being used. Only problem is gengars with focus blast... Trace on the eeveelutions is cool btw lol. I prefer discharge too, as it really is not meant for sweeping with thunderbolt, and the rather high 30% to paralyze is always welcome.

Donphan@ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Shard
-Roar

Helps soak up Electric attacks for Moltres and Vaporeon, Phaze away threats, and takes Rock attacks that plague my birds.

Ice Shard hits Flygon, and Salamence hard, and obviously it skrews up Focus Sashers.

Yeah, standard stuff. Need a spinner what with your SR weakness to both legendary birds. I'm not sure what synergy donphan has to rapid spin off rocks, then switch to either zappy or moltres. That could be a problem..but yeah.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Heat Wave
-Roost

Ice is covered with Vaporeon, and Donphan's Ice Shard.
Counters Vaporeon, Scizor, Heracross, Breloom, Metagross, Lucario, Skymin, Gyarados, and Swampert.

Personally, Heat Wave and Discharge (but you already have a discharge on the team+thunder wave) work well for me, and I use light screen instead of an HP, and it helps fight off ice beams from vaporeons and deoxys and such. I'm not sure how much HP grass will help vs. Swampy, because swampy can't really touch Zappy, although admittedly zappy cant touch swampy..but yeah..

Moltres@ Leftovers
Bold
248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Roost
-Substitute
-Toxic

Stalls with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost. Toxic makes good use of its Stall, and Flamethrower hits Steels barring Heatran which cannot do much back anyways.

Counters Heatran, Scizor, Metagross without Thunderpunch, Heracross, Breloom, Lucario, Infernape, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, etc. Even Blissey.

Moltres surprisingly is a wall that counters many Walls. Moltres can avoid W-o-w from Spiritomb, and Dusknoir, and block Pain Split with Substitute while Stalling them with her own Pressure and Toxic. It can also Roost off its Electric weakness, so Dusknoir's Thunder Punch isn't even an issue.

I like it, and I've always wanted to use moltres. Double pressure with zapdos is always nice...However stealth rock is obviously a major concern. Also, I don't really see how this counters heatran, seeing as heatran is immune to flamethrower and toxic. Sure, it DOES force a switch, but it cant kill (BAN ME PLEASE).

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Modest
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Wish
Hidden Power [Electric]
Surf
Ice Beam

Water Absorber, and takes Ice Beams for my Donphan and Zapdos. My generic team healer.

Counters Gyarados, and numerous others like Heatran.

Yeah, been using vappy myself recently in conjunction with zappy. Personally, Wish+Protect is very valuable, but I get screwed when I only have surf and hp electric and mence comes in. :/ Up to you.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Impish
240 HP / 56 Atk / 76 Def / 136 Spe

Wish
Stealth Rock
U-turn
Thunder Wave

Sponge, team healer, SRocker, and statuser. Works great when paired with Moltres.

Takes Grass, Dragon, and Ice attacks quite well.

Never used Jirachi, but I'm sure you have lol. I guess it's good.

Overall 5/6 of my Pokemon know a recovery move, and have key Resistances/Immunities. They support each other with Wish, Rapid Spin, and each serve their own purpose. Basically they are all worth a place on my team.
I love the defensive aspect of your team, I'm a man of defense and I always will be. I love how you incorporated porygon2 and moltres on to a team, two pokes I really want to start using.

Also, heat wave on zappy might be a bit futile when moltres has flamethrower. Granted zappy counters scizor, but moltres is also resistant to most of its attacks.

Overall, very nice team. 8.5/10

Err this team seems to revolve around countering everything, but that's a bad idea. Teams like this end up switching a bunch and never posing a real threat to the opponent.

Ok so what do u suggest Dex? I should replace what with what? Or change what movesets?

I understand your point, but without saying what to change, I am left unchanged.

Umm, I guess I could make Zapdos a sweeper, since I don't have 1, and since its pretty fast... What do you think? Perhaps Agility over Hidden Power Grass, and Charge Beam over Thunderbolt?

Dex is right, although you counter most of your opponents pokemon, your opponent will win most of the time because you just can't do any damage.

The best way to do this is to choose the 3 pokemon you have right now that do the least (by glancing at your team, I would say Jirachi, Moltres and Zapdos/ Donphan)

Some sweepers you can use are:

Lucario (especially if you put rocks on something else), Salamence, Gengar, Yanmega (just some ideas)

Also, a revenge killer/scarfer is excellent on this team, the best revenge killers are those that aren't expected to revenge kill like:

Jirachi, Celebi, Dragonite, Gallade

(Weaville and Dugtrio are two very potent revenge killers as well, but they are more predictable)

No damage you guys say???

Zapdos pwns waters, Donphan nails Skymin, Moltres Toxic Stalls anything to death... this team is doing loads of damage.

One thing I'd do, is with teams like this is put in some spikes or toxic spikes. Forretress over Jirachi? Then put wish on vaporeon.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The inherent problem with stall teams these days is that stall teams are generally based around countering almost every threat. However, the metagame has shifted to a very offensive one. What this means is that stall teams, which already were unable to counter every threat by the very nature of the game, cannot handle pure offense teams because gradually, you get more worn down by switching so much, and once you start losing members of your team, it opens up holes for the opponent to capitalize on. Take, for instance, your team up for rating. If you sacrifice, say Vaporeon to take down a Mamoswine, you just opened up your team for a Scarftran sweep in the late game. Your team may play good for a stall team, but stall teams just don't work anymore. Therefore, I am suggesting you change your team to a bulky offensive team based on resistances. This way, you still retain a defensive core, while gaining the ability to actually "do something" to the opponent. Then, once you've disabled key members of an opponent's team, sweep with the correct member of your team.

As for the team:

Swap Donphan out for a Mamoswine. Mamoswine is almost just as defensive as Donphan, if you chose to max out it's stats. However, I recommend making it a LO Mixed Mamoswine, with Ice Beam, Earthquake, Ice Shard, and Stone Edge. If you're feeling lucky however, use Blizzard over Ice Beam. This allows you to have a better revenge killer for Shaymin-s, and overall gives your team more offense than Donphan did. Use 252 Attack, 20 Special Attack, and 232 Speed, with a Naughty nature, with a Life Orb.

Next, swap Moltres for a Hasty/Naive Scarf Heatran with Fire Blast, Earth Power, Hp Ice, and Explosion. This also solves your Shaymin-s problem, as it outspeeds it and kills it with Fire Blast (provided it doesn't miss, in which case you die.) Use 4 Attack, 252 Special Attack, and 252 Speed.

Change Vaporeon's EVs to 188 Hp, 252 Defense, and 68 Special Attack with a Bold nature. This allows it to be more offensive, obtain a perfect Leftover recovery number for HP, and still be almost just as bulky.

Replace Jirachi with Scizor, and make it your lead. There are a few sets you can use, but I would use the "Uber Trapper" set, with Bullet Punch, U-turn, Pursuit, and Roost. Use 176 HP, 100 Attack, 176 Special Defense, and 56 Speed. This works great as a lead, and allows you to scout some of your opponent's team. It also lures out Scarftrans early game, just so you aren't suprised later in the game after Vaporeon goes down.

Leave Porygon2 and Zapdos alone, but put HP Ice on Zapdos instead of Grass. Swampert rarely shows its face with Shaymin-s running rampant. You can always beat it down with Mamoswine and Vaporeon.

Hope my changes help!

it's a good team, but i agree with dex. It's just a counter team and it remains as that. HP Ice on Zapdos isn't needed tennisace0227 because donphan and vaporeon have ice moves to take Skymin down. Donphan is probably better fot that role thought. But don't use HP grass, HP Ground would make it a good Heatran Counter and can damage infernape and jirachi. Besides. Without HP Ice, Skymin can't do anything to Zapdos.

Also just something I wanted to add... most Gengars opt for some choice item coupled with Trick. So Porygon2 isn't really an ideal switch in to Gengar unless your opponent decides not to run trick (which isn't often the case considering how useful the move can be).

it's a good team, but i agree with dex. It's just a counter team and it remains as that. HP Ice on Zapdos isn't needed tennisace0227 because donphan and vaporeon have ice moves to take Skymin down. Donphan is probably better fot that role thought. But don't use HP grass, HP Ground would make it a good Heatran Counter and can damage infernape and jirachi. Besides. Without HP Ice, Skymin can't do anything to Zapdos.

Thunderbolt+STAB > Super Effective HP Ground, when nuetral damage is considered.

So HP Ground deals less to Infernape / Jirachi. Although it would also help hit Magnezone better (even though it has Heat Wave).

I will replace Moltres with heatran, and Jirachi with Scizor. Donphan is replaced with Forretress with: TSpikes, SRock, Rapid Spin, Explosion

Fixed Vappy's Spread to 188 / 252 / 64.

No need for Mamoswine with Scarftran, Scizor, Zapdos, etc. to handle Skymin.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wrong. Seed Flare with the Special Defense drop, and then Air Slash WILL KO Zapdos, iirc. As for HP Ground, except on Heatran, Thunderbolt does more, as hhjj has said. If you noticed, I also said remove Donphan for Mamoswine, but point taken about the Hidden Power. I just find it easier to have multiple back-up plans for Shaymin-s, because it can and will find a way to kill you.

As for Forretress, I find it to be dead weight in this current metagame. This metagame is very fast-paced, so there isn't much time to set up before someone brings Heatran in. I'd seriously suggest putting in another Pokemon, since you have two 4x fire weaks. You don't exactly need a spinner anyways, since Zapdos is the only one really affected by Stealth Rock, and it has Rest anyway. Since you don't like the idea of Mamoswine, try an offensive tank Gliscor. Use Swords Dance/Roost/Earthquake/Stone Edge and 252 Hp, 12 Attack, 28 Defense, and 218 Speed with an Impish nature. This should help fill that hole for a physical tank.

Edit: I'd update the OP if I were you, just to make it easier to raters so they can see the current team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)