Creative Weather Teams

With each new generation, the Metagame of OU completely changes. One generation is full of over powered physics, the next a complete stall fest, and so on so forth. When gen 5 came around, 2 seemingly insignificant pokemon gained 2 incredible abilities; drought and drizzle. The OU Metagame was forever changed, new doors were opened, and new theories put to practice. The weather wars have begone.

Now, almost a year later, the metagame is stable, and even perhaps a bit tedious. All the grand unique ideas were discarded, replaced with using the same overrated pokemon who put the O in OU

Well this thread was created to see if we can breath new life into the old theroymons of pre-5th gen. Look through the ranks of OU and find some under appreciated old friends, or look dive into the lower tiers and find underrated pokemon who can effectively abuse weather.

In a rain team for example, instead of using that scarfed thunderous-t, try specs jolteon. Looking for a late game special sweeper? Instead of calm mind Keldeo try Sub petya Empoleon.

There are many, many pokemon that enjoy weather who are simply not used because of their better known cousins. The point of the thread is to discus more obscure pokemon to use in the weather, and to help stop weather teams from becoming increasingly stale.

Meloetta makes a very nice fit for a rain team, and is criminally overlooked at the moment. 100% Accurate Thunder with 60% chance for paralysis, very abusable.

As Stone_Cold already proved, Liligant is a great Sweeper under the sun with access to both Clorophyl and Quiver Dance. Another good option to abuse in a sun team is the always overlooked Victreebel.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Meloetta makes a very nice fit for a rain team, and is criminally overlooked at the moment. 100% Accurate Thunder with 60% chance for paralysis, very abusable.
Problem is it has to compete with Jirachi in that regard, who is faster and has a much better typing (unless you're using Pirouette Forme, in which case you have to waste a turn setting up every time you switch in and have a weaker Thunder).
As Stone_Cold already proved, Liligant is a great Sweeper under the sun with access to both Clorophyl and Quiver Dance. Another good option to abuse in a sun team is the always overlooked Victreebel.
I used both of those very effectively on a VGC sun team. Victreebel in particular I actually liked better than Venusaur because of its access to Weather Ball and Giga Drain (which Chlorosaur didn't have at the time).

Meloetta does compete directly with Jirachi for a spot, and that's probably why it's so overlooked and underhyped. However, it's not completely outclassed, because of its massive 100/128 special bulk, and significantly higher special attack. Jirachi does have a larger movepool, better resistances, and is slightly faster though, so it's tough to beat.

If only it got something in the vein of Softboiled or Wish so it could boost more. Here's to an event version.

Meloetta does compete directly with Jirachi for a spot, and that's probably why it's so overlooked and underhyped. However, it's not completely outclassed, because of its massive 100/128 special bulk, and significantly higher special attack. Jirachi does have a larger movepool, better resistances, and is slightly faster though, so it's tough to beat.

If only it got something in the vein of Softboiled or Wish so it could boost more. Here's to an event version.
Exactly...and if Chansey or Blissey come in, it can change formes and OHKO them with Close Combat, something Jirachi can't do.

Actually, I'm almost positive it will get Softboiled at some point, since it's a normal type. Perhaps then it will get the usage it deserves.

Actually, I'm almost positive it will get Softboiled at some point, since it's a normal type. Perhaps then it will get the usage it deserves.
distribution of softboiled is exclusive to normal fairy blobs along with togetic

it will not get it anytime soon

Azumarill deserves a lot more recognition than it does at the moment - that thing's powerful under Rain. Choice Banded Waterfall from Azumarill, courtesy of Huge Power and STAB, has a higher damage output than Choice Banded Haxorus's Outrage. Just about anything not named Jellicent, Slowbro, or Gyarados is at least threatened by it.

Sawsbuck is probably one of the most overlooked sun sweepers, which is a bummer. He sports an amazing move pool(only has trouble with Gengar) and when under the sun, he is the fastest pokemon in the game.

Agreed, Sawsbuck is an amazing mon and very overlooked due to chlorosaur. But...

*cough* jumpluff *cough* ;)

Not to be obnoxious in my first post but.......Floatzel (swift swim) in rain is the fastest unboosted mon but it may not be legal on a rain team via OU standards. :)

Kyurem is actually usable on Sun Team, resisting Electric / Water, and got Roost to compliment its enormous bulk.

By the way, the fastest Pokemon in Sun is Chlorophyll Whimsicott.

I also love Chlorophyl Sawsbuck it can Work well with a Life Orb and Horn Leech it should definitely get more credit ^_^ (In my opinion)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A "creative" weather team would be a rough template of perhaps one of my most successful rain teams.

I began traditionally with Scarf Politoed and Specs Tornadus. Realising I wanted both Lati@S in my team, I knew I had to reserve two spots for weather wars and double-switching/trapping, maneuvering around the opponent's Tyranitar/Ninetales. I included Wobbuffet and Dugtrio to double team and throw them around whenever I see my opponents' weather in control.

At first I thought I would have trouble breaking through Ferrothorn, but Tornadus covered that end while Jirachi would suffer at the hands of Dugtrio. I was set for most games when aiming for a Lati@s/Tornadus sweep.

You'll find Latios lures Tyranitar in like no other and after taking out my first eon-twin, I can then pursue my goal by trapping Tyranitar and summoning rain indefinitely. This allows Latias and Tornadus to truck though anything bulky that would otherwise have been a struggle to puncture through.

A creative weather team does not need to just look fascinating on paper, but effectively put words into actions and two Dragons + Hurricane spam in a rain infested environment, helps me achieve victory. Unless of course I run into Hippowdon and Tyranitar on the same team; I've my work cut out for me then.

I think Mew should see a lot more use in Rain teams. It's bulky enough to take hits and set up with Nasty Plot. It can then let loose with boosted 100% accurate Thunders, plus your choice of Psyshock, Psychic, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Surf, Scald, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, etc etc...

jolteon is way too underrated in rain, it outspeeds a good portion of threats and fire off 100% accurate thunders. It can serve as late game sweeper

I used Jolteon on a team before BW2 and it often ended up pulling late game sweeps, not to mention Volt Absorb can help remedy Electric weaknesses. Something else I've been using both in rain and to counter it is a standard Jynx set:

Jynx @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam/Blizzard
- Substitute

Very simple to use, bring in on a KO or into a resisted special attack, sleep the switch in, sub, then use NP. Blizzard is slashed for use in hail. I've been using this in rain and the amount of healing it gets allows for great sub stalling if you also have toxic spikes. The amount of power Jynx has with one boost is crazy, and if you manage two you can OHKO almost anything. With one boost and a sub I managed to take down a Scizor that switched in hoping to stop my sweep. As a counter to rain it can switch in on many of the common rain attackers due to Dry Skin and set up a sweep. All around if used right Jynx can destroy opponents if played properly

I think Mew should see a lot more use in Rain teams. It's bulky enough to take hits and set up with Nasty Plot. It can then let loose with boosted 100% accurate Thunders, plus your choice of Psyshock, Psychic, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Surf, Scald, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, etc etc...
I can never find the right combination of moves

Thunder/ice beam/psyshock- walled by tar

Psyshock/aura sphere/surf- poor coverage

Psyshock/aura sphere/thunder-poor coverage

Dragon pulse is outclassed by ice beam, earth power by aura sphere, and dark pulse by shadow ball. Fire moves shouldnt really be used in rain.

Honestly the best combination of moves is psyshock/aura sphere/ice beam, and that doeant take advantage of rain at all.

I guess thunder/surf/ice beam could work but id rather use starmie since its faster and gets stab on water.

Thunder/ice beam/aura sphere is probably the best rain abuser, but even then it seems way ouclassed and doesnt have stab.

Maybe im missing something.

Edit: a swords dance/aqua tail/sucker punch/drain punch is something I used to toy with. Its far from perfect though.

you dont really need to abuse rain

just run (psyshock /psychic) / aura sphere / (recover / baton pass / fire blast / ice beam / w/e)

I'd rather use Celebi than Mew as a Nasty Plot user to be quite honest. Yeah, Celebi might not have an stellar movepool lke Mew does, but at least Celebi can run an effective set consisting of Nasty Plot / Gigadrain / Psychic / (Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power) to hit basically everything for neutral damage bar shit like Skarmory or Heatran who can be easilly checked by Rotom-W, or Starmie.

I'd rather use Celebi than Mew as a Nasty Plot user to be quite honest. Yeah, Celebi might not have an stellar movepool lke Mew does, but at least Celebi can run an effective set consisting of Nasty Plot / Gigadrain / Psychic / (Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power) to hit basically everything for neutral damage bar shit like Skarmory or Heatran who can be easilly checked by Rotom-W, or Starmie.
I honestly don't see the need for psychic on NP celebi. It has STAB enough in Giga Drain and with NP the extra power is unnecessary. I run EP and HP fire because besides Gengar not much can take it on.

I may eventually post a RMT of this once I tweak it a bit, but this team has been doing stupidly well on PS, considering how underused Stunfisk and Jynx are.

Stunfisk @ Choice Specs
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jynx @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 8 HP / 248 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Ice Beam

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Classicly underrated set that I abuse on my Sun team:

Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-V-Create
-Fusion Bolt
-U-Turn
-Brick Break

This thing is straight up ridiculous. 180 BP V-Create, boosted by STAB, Choice Band and Sun. There aren't many Pokémon that can live through that. Get your Sun up, stick up your Hazards if you're using them, then bring this beast in and start spamming those V-Creates. Obviously the -Def -SpD and -Spe means it needs to switch out after each one, but that's not an issue if you're smart with your switches. Outside of bulky waters and fire types, not many things survive even one V-Create.

If you're not considering this thing on your Sun teams, you're doing it WRONG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)