Other Creepy Crawlies - An OU Monotype RMT

This is CrazyGuy108 here, and I've started to get back into Monotype after reading the major change to the tiering system. When I thought of what type to pick, I randomly thought of bug, and went off of that. Here's my team (Note: the nicknames are based off the shiny sprites):

Overheated Laser (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 86 Atk / 170 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
My mixed scarfer Genesect is quite a force to be reckoned with. Its 170 Sp.Atk EVs allow it to 2HKO max SP.Def and HP Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and OHKOing Forretress. Extremespeed gives my team some priority against faster and/or weakened threats. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt make the BoltBeam combo, which everyone knows it hits everything at least neutrally. Calcs:
+1 170 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 236-278 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
170 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 228-272 (64.7 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 170 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Forretress: 516-608 (145.7 - 171.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hawt Skelly (Armaldo) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off
Armaldo forms a core with Volcarona and Genesect, allowing it to tear apart the opposing team. Leftovers give it some extra bulk, and the Evs allow it to tank hits from my enemies Volcarona and Mega Pinsir who would otherwise sweep me. Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock are for support and helps me get through bulky mons. Rock Blast gets strong power and can OHKO Mega Pinsir and Volcarona. Finally, Knock Off cripples the opposing switch in. Calcs:
Offensive:
16 Atk Armaldo Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 336-408 (123.9 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 Atk Armaldo Rock Blast (2 hits) vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 272-336 (73.3 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Defensive:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Armaldo: 211-250 (59.6 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 180 SpD Armaldo: 246-289 (69.4 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Killer Bug (Pinsir-Mega) (F) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake
Aerilate can be a very potent force combined with priority. Swords dance lets it setup on walls such as Shuckle, and a 48 BP priority attack is nothing to laugh about when paired with its 155 base Attack, though an about 122 BP flying STAB is great, too. Earthquake gets rid of the Rock, Fire, and Electric types that plague it. Max Speed allows it to outspeed common threats to some of my slower mons, and 252 Atk is mandatory for a physical sweeper.

Herapink (Heracross) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Moxie ScarfCross is my star player, OHKOing a large variety of pokemon. Close Combat is its primary STAB, and Knock Off cripples switch-ins and Eviolite walls such as Porygon2 and Chansey(though i heard Eviolite Staravia in Trick Room can wall off physical sweepers with Intimidate Feather Dance). EdgeQuake gives it perfect coverage, allowing it to sweep with ease. Moxie lets it do a ton of damage to the next mon if the opponent thinks they can sacrifice for a free switch. Scarf lets it outspeed common threats, and Guts may be a better option, giving immunity to burn cripples, but the Moxie boost makes up for it.

Sun Fly (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
Bulkarona was omnipotent when it was back in UU, and it still is in this meta. Quiver Dance is its setup move, patching up its uninvested SP.Def and SP.Atk. Roost lets it recover off damage and/or Stealth Rock damage, as Forretress usually doesnt spin. Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are primary STABs, hitting exceedingly hard, and both with chances to increase its sweeping potential. EVs are invested in bulk to let it take some hits. Flame Body lets it cripple physical sweepers who happen to touch its hot scales, and 16 Speed with a Timid nature can outspeed a few threats who would otherwise OHKO or 2HKO it.

Spiderman (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
Galvantula is my webber mon with sweeping potential, being able to OHKO Mega Pinsir if it manages to get that Swords Dance boost. It's also for countering rain mono water teams. Compound Eyes boosts Thunders lackluster 70% accuracy to an about 93% accuracy, which is MUCH better. Focus Sash allows it a guaranteed Thunder or Sticky Web Giga Drain lets it KO water/ground mons like Swampert who resist Thunder. Bug Buzz is for those who are weak to it. The EVs are mandatory as they are the only EVs that make a difference.
252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 320-380 (118 - 140.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 212-252 (55.2 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Galvantula Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 208-248 (51.4 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Suggestions are appreciated :D

Last edited:
I was joking when I told you to run Banded Forretress... xD
Also, minor nitpick, but just before Genesect's calcs, you said 'Flamethrower lets it 2HKO and OHKO Ferrothorn and Forretress respectively:' and then provided no Ferrothorn calcs. Might wanna change that.

Still looks neat though. :D

Hi CrazyGuy108 , this is a nice team you have here! But there is some changes I think you should add.

• I suggest you change your Choice Band Forretress with a Standard Lead Armaldo, since your team is really Hyper Offensive, Armaldo can set Stealth Rock many times late game, and when you pivot to him, you don't lose as much momentum.
  • Change Knock Off on Pinsir-mega to Return, Return is going Volcto be doing generally more damage, and its going to be your main STAB.
  • I also suggest you run Speed Boost over Tinted Lens on Yanmega, to have a better match-up VS Bug-monotypes and Fighting-monotypes.
Here are some big threats to your team that you might want to check as well:
Mega Pinsir - Mega Pinsir can literally sweep your team after one Swords Dance,, there's really no surefire check to it, so you just have to remember to play around it accordingly, and if it gets rough, you might have to rely on speed ties.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 168-198 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just don't let him get a free Swords Dance.

Volcarona - Volcarona has a chance to sweep your team after a Quiver Dance.
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 243-286 (68.6 - 80.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You can always run Specially Defensive Armaldo if you find yourself having major trouble with Volcarona, but if you preserve Pinsir-mega, you can OHKO with Quick Attack:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
If Volcarona hasn't set up a Quiver Dance, Pinsir-Mega can continue to outpace and destroy Volcarona with a nice and powerful Return.

Rain Offense - Even with Damp Rock being banned on Water Monotypes, Rain Offense is still a big threat to your team. Kabutops and Omastar can pretty much 2HKO/1HKO your entire team,, and with Stealth Rock up, your team is going to get destroyed even quicker. You might want to consider running Giga Drain over Psychic on your Yanmega. Psychic isn't really going to hit anything important that all of your other moves aren't going to hit relatively hard. You also might want to consider running Life Orb over Choice Specs because Yanmega doesn't really enjoy being locked into a move. Also, Protect over Hidden Power [FIRE] to rack up Speed Boosts and potentially sweep weakened Fighting teams.

Indian Beetle (Armaldo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off

fedora tipper (Yanmega) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Bug Buzz

fedora sipper (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'll do that right away. I also heard Armaldo makes a nice offensive core with Heracross and Genesect.

Aw, Inscribe even provided nicknames. :D XD

Just so that this isn't a one-liner, I'm seconding the Armaldo and bringing Galvantula up as food for thought if you want an alternate lead. xD
Your team has trouble with Pinsir, as previously mentioned. Running Focus Sash Galvantula gives you one guaranteed move against it, which means a super-effective Compoundeyes Thunder. Plus, if one of your other sweepers is only stopped by a fast check on the opposing team, you're pretty much guaranteed a Sticky Web, and possibly a Giga Drain/Thunder/Bug Buzz on the Defogger/spinner as it comes in. Just a thought. :3

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)