Crit Lower Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I've just registered here today for the sole purpose of voicing my opinion on this matter, so forgive me if I've missed something that's well known to people who frequent this board.
I've been playing on Shoddy battle for a while now, after taking a long break. The main thing I've noticed is that number of times I've lost a battle because of a lucky crit is absolutely insane. Maybe I'm just really unlucky, or perhaps shoddy's crit calculator isn't quite the same as ingame (I've not researched that all, just a complete wild guess) but regardless I'm not here to complain about losees. Instead I propose a new clause be created, the Crit Lower Clause.
It would lower the crit stage of all moves by 1, ie all common moves with a 6.25% chance of crit (according to serebii.net at least) will now have a 0% rate. And all moves with a normally high rate, or an item boost or whatever, giving a rate of 12.5% will now have a rate of 6.25%.
(source of these crit rates from http://serebii.net/games/criticalhits.shtml)

I think that this would remove a lot of h4x, whilst still leaving strategies that specifically rely on high crit moves, items or abilities a reasonable option.

I did run through the rules about posting suggestions before starting this, and searched for similar ideas. It seems that an "anti h4x clause" was implemented a while ago. My idea differs from that in that mine actively changes battle mechanics, though only of crit, rather than just reviewing the whole battle and deciding what 'should' have happened.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
(to be honest it seems like the kind of idea that somoene would have come up with a long time ago. And since I don't see a clause that lowers crit on smogon's server in shoddy I assume there was a valid reason for not bothering with it. If anyone happens to know why I'd greatly appreciate if you could fill me in.)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
We are not here to adjust game mechanics, but rather to balance the metagame so it is as stable as possible.

By changing the way crits are calculated, you are changing the way the game runs.

Also, your personal account means nothing unless it is compared with a lot of other people. Think about the number of times you've used an attack and it hasn't crit before.

Not only, like supermath said, we strive to not change game mechanics (hence why a lot of people want to remove Freeze clause and fix Sleep Clause), people often tend to forget the crucial role have critical hits in balancing the metagame. Just try to think how moves like Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Curse and Cosmic Power would be much more powerful without the threat of critical hits.

But aside from this issue, the first point stands. We do not change game mechanics.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"We play Pokemon as it is given to us, not as we want it to be."

This means that we can add clauses or ban Pokemon/items/moves/whatever, but we may never edit the game in such a way that is impossible on the actual games. This proposal is an arbitrary change to the game mechanics in order to reduce the effect of luck, which is not a generally agreed target for the metagame.

In short, neither this nor any remotely similar clause will ever be implemented on an official Smogon server (bar April fools :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)