Cryogonal

My thoughts on Furijio, from another topic:

I think everyone is underrating Furijio quite a bit. Yes, Ice is weak to common physical attacks, so wouldn't you rather have a specially defensive one rather than physically defensive when it's just going to die to rock, steel, and fighting attacks anyway? There's a reason Regice was high OU in Adv. This guy also outspeeds all dragons save Lati@s, which is impressive thanks to ice types being dragon's mortal enemies. He also has levitate, which means his pathetic 30 base defense is immune to the most common physical move in the game, and lets him switch in with ease, and is also nice for avoiding (/Toxic) Spikes when Rapid Spinning. Furijio also has a rather useful and exclusive movepool of dual screens, rapid spin, recover, haze, and explosion, in addition to having STAB on ice attacks with nice Sp.atk.

I see Slowbro as a good partner for him, resisting all his weaknesses save rock.

Wow...this snowflake has the most bizarre level-up moves I've ever seen (Slash, Night Slash and SolarBeam by level up; Furiijio doesn't look like it can learn the slashes while SolarBeam is just...off for some reason).

Anyway, as for competitive viability, I can see Furiijio being outclassed by Regice. True, it can Rapid Spin and Recover, but that pitiful Defense of 30 means that it'll get mauled by physical attacks, as well as Psycho Shock/Break and Sword of Mystery.

EVERYONE STOP ASSUMING HE DOESN'T HAVE ACID ARMOR.

Erhm... Anyways, this guy can both sweep and be an utility guy. This guy is also interesting on Sunny Day teams; it gives him a MUCH better movepool. The worst type syndrome ever. If he had passable attack to utilize Night Slash it would of been better.

EVERYONE STOP ASSUMING HE DOESN'T HAVE ACID ARMOR.

Erhm... Anyways, this guy can both sweep and be an utility guy. This guy is also interesting on Sunny Day teams; it gives him a MUCH better movepool. The worst type syndrome ever. If he had passable attack to utilize Night Slash it would of been better.
Yeah, I believe this guy has the potential. acid armor is really one of the key factors for him to do well. especially when has a pathetic paper thin defense

Acid Armour takes one turn.

With that turn, Scizor switches in and Bullet Punches you to blissful oblivion anyway.

Breloom too.

Also, Shandera will love you forever for even sticking around.

Hell, even Wynaut wants a piece of it. It's like set-up fodder if it uses Acid Armor.

Acid Armour takes one turn.

With that turn, Scizor switches in and Bullet Punches you to blissful oblivion anyway.

Breloom too.

Also, Shandera will love you forever for even sticking around.

Hell, even Wynaut wants a piece of it. It's like set-up fodder if it uses Acid Armor.
Bullet Punch takes one turn.

With that turn, Magnezone switches in and HP Fires you to blissful oblivion anyway.

Don't assume that Furiijio will stick around whenever a Scizor and Breloom comes in.

Don't assume that Furiijio will be in the same tier as Scizor and Breloom.

Don't assume that Furiijio has attacking stats and speed like Blissey (maybe that's not such a good example)

Don't assume that Furiijio is slower than Shandera and doesn't carry HP Ground.

The final point is, don't assume that every team has a Scizor, Breloom or Shandera.

It has better speed, but it won't be doing much damage if it's not SE. Wynaut/Wobbuffet will punish it by Encoring whatever move, then Mirror Coating for massive damage. Worse, Ice Beam gets Encored and opponent brings in an Ice-resist that can set up. Granted, it would thus pair well with Ditto, but that's kind of meh.

Regice saw use because there was no Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock makes any attempt for Furiijio to wall difficult especially given heavy switching, and I can think of many more things that can force Furiijiro switches. I especially think bulky Waters break Furiijiro even if they're specially-based, especially those equipped with Toxic.

Maybe it'd be able to sweep after being passed boosts, but I can think of much better Pokemon to receive boosts from Baton Pass.

Most of the time Rocks will be up rather than Spikes, and generally Spikes and Rocks are up at the same time. So you dodge Spikes. Your spinner itself is weak to Stealth Rock and doesn't have the power to get past Ghosts, how do you spin effectively?

I suppose a Scarf set will serve as a pretty good check to the dragons, and maybe it can find some sort of niche at attempting to wall (fat hope, honestly), but otherwise I don't see anything that it can possibly do that's not horribly outclassed.

It has better speed, but it won't be doing much damage if it's not SE. Wynaut/Wobbuffet will punish it by Encoring whatever move, then Mirror Coating for massive damage. Worse, Ice Beam gets Encored and opponent brings in an Ice-resist that can set up. Granted, it would thus pair well with Ditto, but that's kind of meh.
Most of that is applicable with every pokemon. It outspeed and OHKOs all dragons (bar latis) anyways.

Regice saw use because there was no Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock makes any attempt for Furiijio to wall difficult especially given heavy switching, and I can think of many more things that can force Furiijiro switches. I especially think bulky Waters break Furiijiro even if they're specially-based, especially those equipped with Toxic.
Stealth Rock isn't that common with those Erufuun leads running around.

Maybe it'd be able to sweep after being passed boosts, but I can think of much better Pokemon to receive boosts from Baton Pass.
It's one of the best pokemon to recieve Tail Glow and Butterfly Dance. Tail Glow allows it to sweep those random Base 101s and 98s, Butterfly Dance is essentially a special Dragon Dance which makes it outspeed Scarfchomp and others while getting a Special Defense Boost.

Most of the time Rocks will be up rather than Spikes, and generally Spikes and Rocks are up at the same time. So you dodge Spikes. Your spinner itself is weak to Stealth Rock and doesn't have the power to get past Ghosts, how do you spin effectively?
Does Foretress have the power to get past ghosts? Isn't Cloyster weak to Rocks? These scenarios don't apply to only this pokemon.

I suppose a Scarf set will serve as a pretty good check to the dragons, and maybe it can find some sort of niche at attempting to wall (fat hope, honestly), but otherwise I don't see anything that it can possibly do that's not horribly outclassed.
Scarf set? That sounds good for surprising Scarfchomps and the Latis.

As I said before, Furiijio is not comparable to the top class sweepers and rapid spinners. Don't compare them. I'm not going to talk more about tiers; you should know yourself.

Most of that is applicable with every pokemon. It outspeed and OHKOs all dragons (bar latis) anyways.

Assuming that they don't use DD on the switch and/or you're Scarfed/they don't just flat out attack. Other walls also have Wobby problems, but other walls can at least take one neutral weak hit on their weaker defense. Fujiijio can't.

Stealth Rock isn't that common with those Erufuun leads running around.

So people could just resort to having Stealth Rock set up a little bit later when Erufuun is not in. It's not that hard to adapt, just run a lead that's physical attacker bait while posing a threat to Erufuun and have a Forretress waiting out back, then switch in Forretress after the inevitable physical attacker and get out Rocks when Erufuun comes back in to try to stop you.

It's one of the best pokemon to recieve Tail Glow and Butterfly Dance. Tail Glow allows it to sweep those random Base 101s and 98s, Butterfly Dance is essentially a special Dragon Dance which makes it outspeed Scarfchomp and others while getting a Special Defense Boost.

Besides the obvious Starmie and stuff, things like Porygon Z appreciate it better. I dare you to switch in on +3 Porygon Z/+1 Porygon Z with +1 Speed. It also shares weaks with the Baton Passers that actually have the boosting move (Venomoth/Volbeat) in question [Fire/Rock weaks for one], and if you want to use another Pokemon that also has Baton Pass to cushion the SE hit on the switch to Furiijiro, that's 3 Pokemon slots on your team. It's not practical. It's especially bad with Butterfly Dance. No one in their right mind is going to leave a special attacker in on Butterfly Dance Venomoth, it's really going to just sit there and sweep the team on its own. They bring in a physical attacker, you BP to Furiijiro, oops, you lost your boosts and Furiijiro because it can't take a physical hit to save its life..

Does Foretress have the power to get past ghosts? Isn't Cloyster weak to Rocks? These scenarios don't apply to only this pokemon.

Payback works pretty well. The only thing left to properly stop Forry is Pre-Evo Stone Dusclops. Cloyster's weak to Rocks, but it can dish out some pain with Icicle Spear. Good luck if you switched your Ghost in on Shell Break too.

Scarf set? That sounds good for surprising Scarfchomps and the Latis.

Exactly. But I suppose that's more or less its niche, and IMHO Weavile does it better. It could take one or two Draco Meteors on the switch, but most of these Dragons do physical attacks, you have no business switching in on them. Latias and Sazando mebbe, but they being only 2x weak kinda kills the prospect.

As I said before, Furiijio is not comparable to the top class sweepers and rapid spinners. Don't compare them. I'm not going to talk more about tiers; you should know yourself.
Come to think of it it has pretty much the same fate as Torkoal. Bad typing, decent offensive stats, Rapid Spin, limited movepool. It trades decent defense on one side for troll speed however, but it gives it some sort of niche as a Scarf-Dragon counter.

It is much faster. And I mean MUCH faster than Torkoal.

Furiijio isn't going to end up in OU, so that's good enough for it.

Torkoal also has much bigger defenses. It has 70 Base Sp Def but can still take Rain-boosted Gorebyss' Surf with Passho Berry (Water-resist) which is pretty damn good.

Furiijiro does have a more popular niche I suppose. CB Ice Shard just isn't enough sometimes, and it cuts no ice on things like Garchomp and our new Multi-Scale Dragonite, not to mention the only 2x weak Ononokusu. Scarf Ice Beam should maul all of these, though that means Furiijiro will not take any sort of hit (I think it could even be murdered with Pursuit D:).

Torkoal also has much bigger defenses. It has 70 Base Sp Def but can still take Rain-boosted Gorebyss' Surf with Passho Berry (Water-resist) which is pretty damn good.

Furiijiro does have a more popular niche I suppose. CB Ice Shard just isn't enough sometimes, and it cuts no ice on things like Garchomp and our new Multi-Scale Dragonite, not to mention the only 2x weak Ononokusu. Scarf Ice Beam should maul all of these, though that means Furiijiro will not take any sort of hit (I think it could even be murdered with Pursuit D:).
Everyone can take Rain Boosted Gorebyss' Surf with Passho Berry. Except stuff like Camerupt, Magcargo, Golem, etc.

Furiijio can take a Scizor Bullet Punch with the steel berry after Acid Armor.

What I'm saying is, this pokemon can both go offensively and support.

Unique movepool and stats, I'm hoping this thing can find some niche. Recover, Rapid Spin, Acid Armor, and the stats to abuse it. It is a shame that it has to take up a moveslot and requires 1 turn of setup to fix that awful defense and pure ice is rather terrible, but it may be able to overcome these problems.

Furiijuio, despite being a cool pokemon, is largely outclassed in my opinion. Rapid Spin is all but wasted on a pokemon that is weak to Stealth Rock and has such pathetic defense, although it admittedly has Recover to mitigate the issue somewhat. It faces stiff competition as an Ice-type dual screener from the likes of Rotom-F, and offensively speaking sports average SpA with a movepool that makes Flareon look like Rayquaza. Really, the only way to capitalize on its positives are with a mediocre support set:

Furiijio@Light Clay
Timid; 252 HP / 6 SpA / 252 Speed

Reflect
Recover
Ice Beam
Light Screen

The speed allows Furiijio to set up quick screens in the face of most opponents, and lets it hit the dragons with its STAB Ice Beam free of worry. It has the advantage of hitting every non-DW Mischievious Heart bearer super-effectively, preventing Taunt from being used to slow the setup. Recover distinguishes it from other Ice-types, keeps SR damage to a minimum, and works well with its decent SpD. It is best to switch it into a bulky water or ground user, setting up a Reflect on the switch to (somewhat) patch up its horrible defense.

This guy is the official Dragon counter with Choice Scarf.

If this guy is going defensive it needs acid armor.

This Pokemon has the highest special defense of all the rapid spinners, and access to recover coupled with high speed helps compensate for its stealth rock weakness. If it weren't for its base 30 defense, this pokemon could be one of the best Rapid Spinners in the game. I bet everyone here a million dollars that somehow this snowflake thing is gonna evolve in Pokemon Grey, and still suck.

I run a set of this guy, and I've achieved some success with it. I mostly like him because he can really take care of Sazando

Here it is:

Speedy Defender

@Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVS: 252 Speed 136 Special Defense 120 Sp.ATK

Moves:

Ice Beam / Blizzard
Hidden Power [Ground]/[Electric]/Etc.
Substitute
Recover

The idea here is simple. He can easily survive unboosted special attacks, and can often times force switches. He can use these chances to set up a sub or recover. He also loves to switch in on Earthquakes from slower foes, especially slower ground types and scare them out with Ice Beam.

I chose HP ground arbitrarily, there are probably better options, but when I was looking for super effective coverage, I wanted to cover Ice's bases and hit both Fires and Steels hard.

One of the most beautiful uses for this guy is to not only help block out special moves, but he can also scare away dragons that aren't Dragonite or scarfed or have already performed dragon dance.

Weaknesses include... anything with physical moves that it can't kill immediately. If you see a guy with a priority move, and you didn't get a chance to get a sub up, you'll have to get the hell out of there. It's key to pair him with somebody who can handle setup sweepers who will try to set up on the guy, because unless you can predict their tactic and kill them, you're SOL.

Focus Sash is an option if you have good weather support and a way to keep stealth rocks at bay, but you lose valuable health when blocking out special attacks.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think some of you guys are forgetting that even after an Acid Armor, Furijio still can't do anything to his counters. Steel types won't care about his Toxic, and bulkier ones (like, all of them), won't care about anything he does. Strict defensive boosting is usually a waste of time, and this is no exception.

Rapid Spin automatically makes him useful to some degree, but that weak defense, movepool, and defensive typing are going to push him right down to the bottom of the barrel. Regice with its decent movepool and better overall stats couldn't cut it, so I can't imagine a weaker version of it doing the trick.

I'm not really as much of an expert here as some people, but aren't sweeping versions of Furiijio outclassed by Baibanira to a certain degree? Baibanira sports the exact same offensive attacks with better Sp.Atk and general bulk(Although its nothing much more).Sure its slower than Furii,but it gets Body Purge to kind of make up for it.

After an Acid Armor, Adamant non-Choice Band Technician Bullet Punch from Scizor cannot kill neutral nature maximum defense EV Furiijio.

That's a Super Effective Attack.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, he can set up all the Acid Armors he wants so long as I can get my Steel type in for free and set up something much more dangerous. Keep in mind that the turns he spends using Acid Armor are also the turns he's spending not using Rapid Spin. He's going to want all the switch-in potential he can get.

Get your steel type in for free then. Then I can switch out to Magnezone. Especially after an Acid Armor. I will survive it.

But hey. I'm just stating Acid Armor is a good move on Furiijio. Nothing else.

It doesn't just attract Steels, it also attracts Blaziken and other set-up sweepers who resist Ice-attacks. Make what you will.

I still find Acid Armour a waste of time. It just changes Furiijio from "can't take a physical hit" to "can barely take a physical hit". Non-CB Scizor Bullet Punch sounds strong, but honestly any attacker worth their salt can sling an attack of that power around. Even if say Acid Armour works (with significant Defense EVs I'm assuming) you won't have any sort of offensive prowress. Toxic? I hope you still have Magnezone, and I hope that Steel isn't Doryuuzu or a wise Scizor.

IMO this is another non competitive pokemon. Just because something has a nice special defense stat it doesn't make it good, RIGHT Ledian? It's got pretty good speed, yeah, but 95 sp atk is going to do sweet bugger all against many bulky mons, especially the water ones with that poor as piss special move pool. What a pathetic excuse for a pokemon.

Any time you have to go out of your way to justify why a pokemon is good and make specific scenarios for it to succeed it is likely that the pokemon is a pile of garbage.

Any time you have to go out of your way to justify why a pokemon is good and make specific scenarios for it to succeed it is likely that the pokemon is a pile of garbage.
I've found a use for it, it's not garbage just because you can't rape somebody's team with it. A fast pokemon with STAB ice beam is very useful, and being able to withstand special attacks doesn't hurt.

Whenever I'm playing, unless I get surprised by something by making a bad switch, this guy always came in handy if I put him in at the right time. Especially if you can set up a substitute.

And wow, this pokemon is clearly not designed for taking on bulky pokemon. And you can specialize it to take out bulky waters that lack rest. Throw toxic and recover and substitute on it. What are they gonna do? Bulky waters like Burungeru can't even break its sub with one attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)