LC Cubone

QC Checks: sparktrain/AD Thunderboy/Hilomilo
GP Checks: CryoGyro/FireFlame479

[OVERVIEW]

Cubone is one of the hardest hitters in Little Cup thanks to its Thick Club-doubled Attack. It also has a unique and powerful STAB attack in Bonemerang, which hits twice and thus can break Focus Sash and Sturdy. Combine that with its great physical bulk and good coverage options in Knock Off and Rock Slide, and you've got one powerful wallbreaker. Unfortunately, Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed and special bulk, therefore requiring a lot of support from teammates to effectively sweep. It also faces competition from Mudbray, which isn't as strong as Cubone but is faster and bulkier. Lastly, Cubone is extremely vulnerable to Knock Off due to its reliance on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Bonemerang
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Thick Club
ability: Battle Armor
nature: Jolly
evs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 232 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack that hits harder than Earthquake thanks to Little Cup's damage rolls and breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Knock Off removes Eviolite from defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Hippopotas, crippling them by reducing their overall bulk. It also hits Pokemon like Gastly and Bronzor that are immune to Bonemerang. Rock Slide gives Cubone amazing coverage with Bonemerang, letting it score super effective hits on Flying-type Pokemon like Vullaby and Doduo. Lastly, Fire Punch allows Cubone to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types that wall it otherwise.

Set Details
========

196 Attack EVs combined with Thick Club allow Cubone to act as an incredibly powerful wallbreaker. 232 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Cubone to outspeed Alolan Sandshrew and unboosted Shellder. The remaining EVs enhance Cubone's physical bulk, allowing it to better take physical attacks. Battle Armor is Cubone's best ability, providing it with the benefit of avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Cubone is a very effective wallbreaker, since it can remove Eviolite from common defensive Pokemon and finish them off with Bonemerang or Rock Slide. Do not leave Cubone in against any Knock Off user unless you're sure it can outspeed and KO it; for example, Cubone cannot outspeed Choice Scarf Pawniard even with Sticky Web up, so it should definitely be switched out. Against Sturdy + Berry Juice users such as Onix, use Knock Off first to remove their recovery. Magnemite in particular can easily use Recycle to restore a consumed Berry Juice, but not one that has been removed by Knock Off. You can also sweep with Cubone, but a way to circumvent its low Speed is needed; therefore, sending it out with Sticky Web on the field is a good idea. Finally, due to Cubone's poor special bulk, bringing it in with a slow pivoting move is ideal to avoid prior damage.

Team Options
========

Late-game cleaners like Shellder appreciate Cubone for its ability to break through common defensive Pokemon such as Spritzee and Mareanie with Bonemerang. Surskit can set up Sticky Web so Cubone can mitigate its poor Speed and outpace certain threats. If you are using Cubone on a Sticky Web team, Pumpkaboo-XL makes a good partner for its ability to block Rapid Spin. It also appreciates Cubone breaking Fire-type threats such as Ponyta. Fast offensive Pokemon like Carvanha help against the offensively inclined teams Cubone struggles against. Finally, Torchic and Cottonee provide other options for Speed support; Torchic can Baton Pass Speed boosts to Cubone, while Cottonee can set up Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swords Dance can turn Cubone into an even more threatening offensive Pokemon, but considering it already gets a massive boost from Thick Club, it's less valuable than coverage. Cubone can function on Trick Room teams with a bulkier EV spread, 0 Speed IVs, and a Brave nature, but Trick Room isn't that viable to begin with, since it lasts for a limited number of turns. Bone Rush can be used for a chance at doing more damage, but it's unreliable compared to Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the foe at least four times. Finally, Substitute can be used to dodge Sucker Punch and Will-O-Wisp, but Cubone needs as much coverage as it can get in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Due to relying on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage, Cubone is usually forced out by Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard; the latter cannot switch into Bonemerang, however.

**Faster Pokemon**: Fast Pokemon like Abra can easily outspeed and KO Cubone before it can do anything. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of Sticky Web, but Carvanha and Torchic can get rid of the Speed drop via Speed Boost.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Even if Sticky Web is up, every Choice Scarf user in the tier will outspeed or Speed tie with Cubone. Cubone can get rid of these Choice Scarves with Knock Off, but it will usually be OHKOed before it can do so.

**Priority**: Thanks to not running Eviolite and having no priority of its own, Cubone is vulnerable to every priority attack in the tier. Carvanha's Aqua Jet and Snover's Ice Shard are the worst offenders because they hit Cubone super effectively, but Life Orb Pawniard also OHKOes Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Staryu, Chinchou, and Carvanha deal huge damage to Cubone with their super effective STAB attacks. Corphish is an incredibly big threat to Cubone, since it gets OHKOed by an Adaptability-boosted Life Orb Aqua Jet.

Last edited:
Hey Mega-Pokebattlerz. The set looks good! Just a few comments:

Team Options
- Mention other methods of remedying Cubone's Speed issue, namely Torchic (can pass Speed and other useful things like Substitute and Attack boosts) and Cottonee (Tailwind).

Other Options
- Remove Belly Drum. Swords Dance gives it all the power it would ever need in any realistic situation and doesn't cut Cubone's HP.
- Add Substitute, it lets Cubone dodge Will-O-Wisp and Sucker Punch which can occasionally be more useful than running a 4th attack.

Checks and Counters
- Carvanha doesn't OHKO Cubone with Aqua Jet. Protect + Waterfall does the trick if webs are up.
- Add Corphish (Eviolite can stomach a hit and KO with Crabhammer or set up + Aqua Jet, Life Orb straight OHKOes with Aqua Jet)

Nice work, implement and it's QC 1/3:mad:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mention that Bonemerang is very powerful due to Little Cup's low stats favouring multi-hit moves.
  • Mention that Cubone has decent natural bulk, especially on the physical side.
  • Mention its good coverage options like Knock Off, Rock Slide, Thunder Punch, and Fire Punch
[SET]

good

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Don't mention Lickitung, Spritzee outclasses it in most ways. Also, say 'defensive Pokemon like', to make clear what kind of mon you mean (you can also mention other examples like Mudbray and Vullaby). Also mention that it hits certain Pokemon like Gastly and Bronzor who are immune to Earthquake super effectively.
Set Details
========

good

Usage Tips
========
  • Your current first point should be last, and worded something like 'Cubone can also function as a sweeper if you circumvent its Speed problem, by for example using Sticky Web or Tailwind'.
Team Options
========
  • Do not give Mudbray as an example: it is actually one of the few Pokemon that can deal with Cubone's attacks thanks to Stamina. Spritzee is a better example. Also mention examples of late game cleaners (Shellder, Carvanha)
  • Mention that Cubone can also take one Sucker Punch from +2 Pawniard when explaining it can take it out.
  • Pumpkaboo-XL is generally better as a spinblocker for its greater bulk, as it allows it to switch in much easier. As such, I think it should be the only form mentioned here. Mention that it also appreciates Cubone breaking Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • As sparktrain said, remove Belly Drum. Cubone is alreadu stupid strong after a Swords Dance, so Belly Drum is unnecessary.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • You didn't give the second section a name (Faster Pokemon works)
  • The Corphish section should be changed to a Water-type section. Things like Staryu, Chinchou, and Carvanha also significantly threaten it, though Corphish can definitely be a good example.
QC 2/3, write me up Scotty
QC Stamp final.gif

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since I've already given your Cubchoo analysis an AM check from when I wasn't yet QC, it's best that I refrain from checking it, but I will check this one so you can move one of your analyses to GP.

Overview
* Clarify that Thick Club doubles Cubone's Attack.
* "This also means it hits harder than Earthquake due to how LC damage rolls work"
I don't think that this sentence is necessary. That's something that's better to mention in Moves and doesn't really warrant mentioning here.
* Change 'big threat' in your last sentence to 'powerful wallbreaker' and remove the 'Or so you'd think' sentence, its fluff.
* I'd also add that Cubone has poor special bulk. You can do this in simply just adding 'and special bulk' after 'Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed'
* Change the word 'weak' to vulnerable, I think that's more suitable.

Set
Fine

Moves
* Your Bonemerang line is really fluff and should be changed to something like "Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack and hits harder than Earthquake due to Little Cup's damage roll mechanics.
* You should also add that Bonemerang helps Cubone to break through Sturdy and Focus Sash.
* Change your second Knock Off example from Mareanie to Hippopotas. Cubone would just click Bonemerang against Mareanie instead of Knock Off.
* Knock Off doesn't cripple defensive Pokemon and reduce their overall bulk, it cripples them by reducing their overall bulk. You should therefore replace 'and' with 'by' so not to confuse some readers.

Set Details
* In your first sentence change 'OHKO or 2HKO almost every Pokemon in Little Cup' to something like 'function as a very powerful wallbreaker' - better specificity is the main reason for this.
* I don't think you need to mention Cubone's other abilities when talking about Battle Armor. Just say that Battle Armor is more useful than Cubone's other potential abilities (you don't need to elaborate on why) and is useful for avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
* Add that Cubone's low HP and Special Defense means that it is best brought in via pivot support or after a teammate has fainted.

Team Options
* Your points regarding Sticky Web are sort of scattered about and can be simplified into a smaller number of sentences. You can merge your sentences in saying something like, "Surskit can set up Sticky Web, which allows Cubone to circumvent its poor Speed and outpace and threaten foes."
* Remove your mentions of Pawniard when you're talking about Sticky Web. Life Orb Pawniard OHKOs Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch, and outspeeds Cubone and OHKOs with Knock Off if its Choice Scarf, so Cubone still has a fairly difficult time dealing with Pawn with webs down.

Other Options
* Remove your Thunder Punch mention. Mantyke's most common set is Rain Dance, which is always OHKOed by Rock Slide. Even then, RestTalk has a good chance to be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, so Thunder Punch is never worth it.
* Remove the 'overkill' part of your Swords Dance sentence. Instead say that Cubone is already powerful enough with Thick Club and often needs its coverage options more, it sounds better to say it like this.
* At the end of your Trick Room sentence, say that this usually isn't preferred due to the limited amount of Trick Room turns Cubone will have after being brought onto the field, and that Trick Room isn't very viable of a team archetype to begin with.
* 'The moveset is identical to that of the above set.' - remove this sentence. It isn't necessary.
* Clarify that Bone Rush isn't as reliable as Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the opponent at least four times.
* I'd honestly argue that Substitute isn't preferred because it takes coverage. Because of this, you should replace 'which can be more useful than coverage in some cases' with 'but comes at the cost of at times, valuable coverage.'

Checks and Counters
* Change the phrase 'real damage' to 'sufficient damage' in your first sentence. It sounds better and more professional this way.
* Give examples of Pokemon that commonly carry Aqua Jet (Carvanha) and Ice Shard (Snover). I'd also mention Pawniard's Sucker Punch, since with a Life Orb, it OHKOs Cubone when boosted.

This is a lot to implement, so when you're done, tag me and I'll give this its final QC stamp.

Since I've already given your Cubchoo analysis an AM check from when I wasn't yet QC, it's best that I refrain from checking it, but I will check this one so you can move one of your analyses to GP.

Overview
* Clarify that Thick Club doubles Cubone's Attack.
* "This also means it hits harder than Earthquake due to how LC damage rolls work"
I don't think that this sentence is necessary. That's something that's better to mention in Moves and doesn't really warrant mentioning here.
* Change 'big threat' in your last sentence to 'powerful wallbreaker' and remove the 'Or so you'd think' sentence, its fluff.
* I'd also add that Cubone has poor special bulk. You can do this in simply just adding 'and special bulk' after 'Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed'
* Change the word 'weak' to vulnerable, I think that's more suitable.

Set
Fine

Moves
* Your Bonemerang line is really fluff and should be changed to something like "Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack and hits harder than Earthquake due to Little Cup's damage roll mechanics.
* You should also add that Bonemerang helps Cubone to break through Sturdy and Focus Sash.
* Change your second Knock Off example from Mareanie to Hippopotas. Cubone would just click Bonemerang against Mareanie instead of Knock Off.
* Knock Off doesn't cripple defensive Pokemon and reduce their overall bulk, it cripples them by reducing their overall bulk. You should therefore replace 'and' with 'by' so not to confuse some readers.

Set Details
* In your first sentence change 'OHKO or 2HKO almost every Pokemon in Little Cup' to something like 'function as a very powerful wallbreaker' - better specificity is the main reason for this.
* I don't think you need to mention Cubone's other abilities when talking about Battle Armor. Just say that Battle Armor is more useful than Cubone's other potential abilities (you don't need to elaborate on why) and is useful for avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
* Add that Cubone's low HP and Special Defense means that it is best brought in via pivot support or after a teammate has fainted.

Team Options
* Your points regarding Sticky Web are sort of scattered about and can be simplified into a smaller number of sentences. You can merge your sentences in saying something like, "Surskit can set up Sticky Web, which allows Cubone to circumvent its poor Speed and outpace and threaten foes."
* Remove your mentions of Pawniard when you're talking about Sticky Web. Life Orb Pawniard OHKOs Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch, and outspeeds Cubone and OHKOs with Knock Off if its Choice Scarf, so Cubone still has a fairly difficult time dealing with Pawn with webs down.

Other Options
* Remove your Thunder Punch mention. Mantyke's most common set is Rain Dance, which is always OHKOed by Rock Slide. Even then, RestTalk has a good chance to be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, so Thunder Punch is never worth it.
* Remove the 'overkill' part of your Swords Dance sentence. Instead say that Cubone is already powerful enough with Thick Club and often needs its coverage options more, it sounds better to say it like this.
* At the end of your Trick Room sentence, say that this usually isn't preferred due to the limited amount of Trick Room turns Cubone will have after being brought onto the field, and that Trick Room isn't very viable of a team archetype to begin with.
* 'The moveset is identical to that of the above set.' - remove this sentence. It isn't necessary.
* Clarify that Bone Rush isn't as reliable as Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the opponent at least four times.
* I'd honestly argue that Substitute isn't preferred because it takes coverage. Because of this, you should replace 'which can be more useful than coverage in some cases' with 'but comes at the cost of at times, valuable coverage.'

Checks and Counters
* Change the phrase 'real damage' to 'sufficient damage' in your first sentence. It sounds better and more professional this way.
* Give examples of Pokemon that commonly carry Aqua Jet (Carvanha) and Ice Shard (Snover). I'd also mention Pawniard's Sucker Punch, since with a Life Orb, it OHKOs Cubone when boosted.

This is a lot to implement, so when you're done, tag me and I'll give this its final QC stamp.
How about I reply to your post instead?

It's ready.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks good, just change 'real damage' to 'sufficient damage' in your overview.

3/3, sorry that I wasn't capable of checking Cubchoo! Positive it'll be in GP soon enough as well.

AMCHECK
remove add (comment) change capitalization
QC Checks: sparktrain/AD Thunderboy/Hilomilo
GP Checks: --/--

[OVERVIEW]

Cubone is one of the hardest hitters in Little Cup thanks to its high attack(only capital when referring to Attack stat), which is doubled by Thick Club. It also has a unique and powerful STAB attack in Bonemerang, which hits twice and thus can break Focus Sash and Sturdy. Combine that with its great physical bulk and good coverage options in Knock Off and Rock Slide, and you've got a powerful wallbreaker on your hands.

Unfortunately, Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor speed and special bulk, and thus requires a lot of support from teammates to effectively sweep. It also doesn't help that Mudbray exists Cubone also faces competiton against Mudbray, which isn't as strong as Cubone but is faster and bulkier, giving Cubone quite a bit of competition. Lastly, Cubone is extremely vulnerable to Knock Off due to its reliance on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack, hitting harder than Earthquake thanks to Little Cup's damage rolls,(AC) whileand also breakingbreaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Knock Off removes Eviolite from defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Hippopotas, which cripplingcripples them by reducing their overall bulk. It also hits Pokemon like Gastly and Bronzor whowhich are immune to Bonemerang. Rock Slide gives Cubone amazing coverage with Bonemerang, letting it score super effective hits on Ground-immuneFlying-type Pokemon like Vullaby and Doduo,(AC) which are immune to Ground-type moves(not all levitate Pokemon take super effective damage to Rock Slide). Lastly, Fire Punch allows Cubone to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types that wall Cubone otherwise.

Set Details
========

196 Attack EVs combined with Thick Club allows Cubone to act as an incredibly powerful wallbreaker. 232 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allows Cubone to outspeed Alolan Sandshrew and Shellder before it can get a Shell Smash up. The remaining EVs enhance Cubone's physical bulk, allowing it to better take physical attacks better. Battle Armor is Cubone's best ability, providing it with the benefit of avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Cubone is a very effective wallbreaker,(RC) since it can remove Eviolite from common defensive Pokemon and finish them off with Bonemerang or Rock Slide. Do not leave Cubone in against any Knock Off user unless you're sure it can outspeed and KO it. For example, Cubone cannot outspeed Choice Scarf Pawniard,(AC) even with Sticky Web up, so it should definitely be switched out. Against SturdyJuice users such as Onix, use Knock Off first to remove their recovery. Magnemite in particular can easily recycle a consumed Berry Juice, but not one thatwhich has been knocked off. You can also sweep with Cubone, but you will need a way to circumvent its low Speed.(remove period);(SC)therefore, sending it out with Sticky Web on the field is a good ideasupport is helpful. Finally, due to Cubone's poor special bulk, bringing it in with a slow pivoting move is ideal to avoid prior damage.

Team Options
========

Late-game cleaners like Shellder appreciate Cubones for its ability to break through common defensive Pokemon such as Spritzee and Mareanie with Bonemerang. Surskit can set up Sticky Web so Cubone can mitigate its poor speed and outpace certain threats. If you are using Cubone on a Sticky Web team, Pumpkaboo-XL also makes a good partner forthanks to its ability to block Rapid Spin. It also appreciates Cubone breaking Fire-type threats such as Ponyta. Fast offensive Pokemon like Carvanha help against the offensively inclined teams which Cubone struggles against. Finally, Torchic and Cottonee provide other options for speed support. Torchic can Baton Pass Speed boosts to Cubone, while Cottonee can set up Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swords Dance can turn Cubone into an even more threatening offensive Pokemon, but considering it already gets a massive boost from Thick Club, it's less valuable than coverage. Cubone can function on Trick Room teams,(AC) with a bulkier EV spread, 0 Speed IVs, and a Brave nature.(RP);(SC)however, Trick Room isn't that viable to begin with since it lasts a limited number of turns. Bone Rush can be used for a chance atof doing more damage, but it's unreliable compared to Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the foe at least four times. Finally, Substitute can be used to dodge Sucker Punch and Will-O-Wisp, but in most cases Cubone needs as much coverage as it can get.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Due to relying on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage, Cubone is usually forced out by Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard;(SC)however (although Pawniard cannot switch into Bonemerang)(Remove Brackets).

**Faster Pokemon **: Fast Pokemon like Abra can easily outspeed and KO Cubone before it can do anything. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of Sticky Web, but Carvanha and Torchic can get rid of the Speed drop via their AbilitiesSpeed Boost.

**Choice Scarf**: Even if Sticky Web is up, every Choice Scarf user in the tier will outspeed or speed tie with Cubone. Cubone can get rid of these Choice Scarves withvia Knock Off, but it will usually be OHKOed before it can do so.

**Priority**: Thanks to Cubone not running Eviolite and having no priority of its own, Cubone is vulnerable to every priority attack in the tier. Carvanha's Aqua Jet and Snover's Ice Shard are the worst offenders as they hit Cubone super effectively,(RC).(Add Period) but Pawniard deserves a mention as Life Orb variants can also OHKO Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Staryu, Chinchou,(AC) and Carvanha deal a huge damage to Cubone with their super-effective STAB attacks. Corphish is an incredibly big threat to Cubone, since it gets OHKOed by LOa Life Orb Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet.
This does not count as one of your GP stamps and you do not have to include my changes in your analysis if you wish.

AMCHECK
remove add (comment) change capitalization

This does not count as one of your GP stamps and you do not have to include my changes in your analysis if you wish.
Actually, I was referring to Cubone's stats whenever I capitalized Attack and Speed. I'm not implementing the full AMcheck, but I'll use some of your points.

this analysis is like cubone's mom's life, short

GP 1/2
remove add comments

[OVERVIEW]

Cubone is one of the hardest hitters in Little Cup thanks to its high Attack, which is doubled by Thick Club Thick Club-doubled Attack. (its Attack isn't high to begin with, which was implied previously) It also has a unique and powerful STAB attack in Bonemerang, which hits twice and thus can break Focus Sash and Sturdy. Combine that with its great physical bulk and good coverage options in Knock Off and Rock Slide, and you've got one powerful wallbreaker.

Unfortunately, Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed and special bulk, and thus requires therefore requiring a lot of support from teammates to effectively sweep. It also faces competition from Mudbray, which isn't as strong as Cubone but is faster and bulkier. Lastly, Cubone is extremely vulnerable to Knock Off due to its reliance on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack, hitting harder than Earthquake thanks to Little Cup's damage rolls, (comma) and also breaks breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash. Knock Off removes Eviolite from defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Hippopotas, crippling them by reducing their overall bulk. It also hits Pokemon like Gastly and Bronzor who that are immune to Bonemerang. Rock Slide gives Cubone amazing coverage with Bonemerang, letting it score super effective hits on Flying-type Pokemon like Vullaby and Doduo. Lastly, Fire Punch allows Cubone to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types that wall Cubone it otherwise.

Set Details
========

196 Attack EVs combined with Thick Club allows Cubone to act as an incredibly powerful wallbreaker. 232 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allows Cubone to outspeed Alolan Sandshrew and unboosted Shellder before it can get a Shell Smash up. The remaining EVs enhance Cubone's physical bulk, allowing it to better take physical attacks. Battle Armor is Cubone's best ability, providing it with the benefit of avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Cubone is a very effective wallbreaker, since it can remove Eviolite from common defensive Pokemon and finish them off with Bonemerang or Rock Slide. Do not leave Cubone in against any Knock Off user unless you're sure it can outspeed and KO it. For example, Cubone cannot outspeed Choice Scarf Pawniard even with Sticky Web up, so it should definitely be switched out. Against Sturdy + Berry Juice users such as Onix, use Knock Off first to remove their recovery. Magnemite in particular can easily recycle restore a consumed Berry Juice with Recycle, but not one that has been knocked off removed by Knock Off. You can also sweep with Cubone, but you will need a way to circumvent its low Speed. Therefore, sending it out with Sticky Web on the field is a good idea. Finally, due to Cubone's poor special bulk, bringing it in with a slow pivoting move is ideal to avoid prior damage.

Team Options
========

Late-game cleaners like Shellder appreciate Cubone for its ability to break through common defensive Pokemon such as Spritzee and Mareanie with Bonemerang. Surskit can set up Sticky Web so that Cubone can mitigate its poor Speed and outpace certain threats. If you are using Cubone on a Sticky Web team, Pumpkaboo-XL makes a good partner for its ability to block Rapid Spin. It also appreciates Cubone breaking Fire-type threats such as Ponyta. Fast offensive Pokemon like Carvanha help against the offensively inclined teams Cubone struggles against. Finally, Torchic and Cottonee provide other options for speed Speed support. Torchic can Baton Pass Speed boosts to Cubone, while Cottonee can set up Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swords Dance can turn Cubone into an even more threatening offensive Pokemon, but considering it already gets a massive boost from Thick Club, it's less valuable than coverage. Cubone can function on Trick Room teams with a bulkier EV spread, 0 Speed IVs, and a Brave nature. (period) However, but Trick Room isn't that viable to begin with since it lasts a limited number of turns. Bone Rush can be used for a chance at doing more damage, but it's unreliable compared to Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the foe at least four times. Finally, Substitute can be used to dodge Sucker Punch and Will-O-Wisp, but in most cases Cubone needs as much coverage as it can get in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Due to relying on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage, Cubone is usually forced out by Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard; (semicolon) the latter cannot switch into Bonemerang, however (although Pawniard cannot switch into Bonemerang).

**Faster Pokemon(space)**: Fast Pokemon like Abra can easily outspeed and KO Cubone before it can do anything. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of Sticky Web, but Carvanha and Torchic can get rid of the Speed drop via Speed Boost.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Even if Sticky Web is up, every Choice Scarf user in the tier will outspeed or speed Speed tie with Cubone. Cubone can get rid of these Choice Scarves with Knock Off, but it will usually be OHKOed before it can do so.

**Priority**: Thanks to not running Eviolite and having no priority of its own, Cubone is vulnerable to every priority attack in the tier. Carvanha's Aqua Jet and Snover's Ice Shard are the worst offenders as because they hit Cubone super effectively, but Life Orb Pawniard also OHKOes Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Staryu, Chinchou, (comma) and Carvanha deal huge damage to Cubone with their super-(hyphen)effective STAB attacks. Corphish is an incredibly big threat to Cubone, since it gets OHKOed by a Life Orb-(hyphen) and Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet.

Conor3197 Feel free to take a look to see what you may have missed.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
It looks like the previous GP check was implemented, but next time be sure to update the title.
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Cubone is one of the hardest hitters in Little Cup thanks to its Thick Club-doubledboosted Attack. It also has a unique and powerful STAB attack in Bonemerang, which hits twice and thus can break Focus Sash and Sturdy. Combine that with its great physical bulk and good coverage options in Knock Off and Rock Slide, and you've got one powerful wallbreaker. Unfortunately, Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed and special bulk, therefore requiring a lot of support from teammates to effectively sweep. It also faces competition from Mudbray, which isn't as strong as Cubone but is faster and bulkier. Lastly, Cubone is extremely vulnerable to Knock Off due to its reliance on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage.
Unfortunately, Cubone is really easy to take advantage of due to its poor Speed and special bulk, therefore requiring a lot of support from teammates to effectively sweep. It also faces competition from Mudbray, which isn't as strong as Cubone but is faster and bulkier. Lastly, Cubone is extremely vulnerable to Knock Off due to its reliance on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage. (This doesn't need to be its own paragraph)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bonemerang is Cubone's most powerful STAB attack,(RC) hitting that hits harder than Earthquake thanks to Little Cup's damage rolls and breaking breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash. Knock Off removes Eviolite from defensive Pokemon like Spritzee and Hippopotas, crippling them by reducing their overall bulk. It also hits Pokemon like Gastly and Bronzor that are immune to Bonemerang. Rock Slide gives Cubone amazing coverage with Bonemerang, letting it score super effective hits on Flying-type Pokemon like Vullaby and Doduo. Lastly, Fire Punch allows Cubone to hit Ferroseed and other Grass-types that wall it otherwise.

Set Details
========

196 Attack EVs combined with Thick Club allow Cubone to act as an incredibly powerful wallbreaker. 232 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature allow Cubone to outspeed Alolan Sandshrew and unboosted Shellder. The remaining EVs enhance Cubone's physical bulk, allowing it to better take physical attacks. Battle Armor is Cubone's best ability, providing it with the benefit of avoiding critical hits.

Usage Tips
========

Cubone is a very effective wallbreaker, since it can remove Eviolite from common defensive Pokemon and finish them off with Bonemerang or Rock Slide. Do not leave Cubone in against any Knock Off user unless you're sure it can outspeed and KO it;(add semicolon) for.(remove period) For example, Cubone cannot outspeed Choice Scarf Pawniard even with Sticky Web up, so it should definitely be switched out. Against Sturdy + Berry Juice users such as Onix, use Knock Off first to remove their recovery. Magnemite in particular can easily use Recycle to restore a consumed Berry Juice, but not one that has been removed by Knock Off. You can also sweep with Cubone, but you will need a way to circumvent its low Speed is needed;(add semicolon) therefore.(remove period) Therefore, sending it out with Sticky Web on the field is a good idea. Finally, due to Cubone's poor special bulk, bringing it in with a slow pivoting move is ideal to avoid prior damage.

Team Options
========

Late-game cleaners like Shellder appreciate Cubone for its ability to break through common defensive Pokemon such as Spritzee and Mareanie with Bonemerang. Surskit can set up Sticky Web so that Cubone can mitigate its poor Speed and outpace certain threats. If you are using Cubone on a Sticky Web team, Pumpkaboo-XL makes a good partner for its ability to block Rapid Spin. It also appreciates Cubone breaking Fire-type threats such as Ponyta. Fast offensive Pokemon like Carvanha help against the offensively inclined teams Cubone struggles against. Finally, Torchic and Cottonee provide other options for Speed support;(add semicolon).(remove period) Torchic can Baton Pass Speed boosts to Cubone, while Cottonee can set up Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Swords Dance can turn Cubone into an even more threatening offensive Pokemon, but considering it already gets a massive boost from Thick Club, it's less valuable than coverage. Cubone can function on Trick Room teams with a bulkier EV spread, 0 Speed IVs, and a Brave nature, but Trick Room isn't that viable to begin with,(AC) since it lasts for a limited number of turns. Bone Rush can be used for a chance at doing more damage, but it's unreliable compared to Bonemerang due to its reliance on hitting the foe at least four times. Finally, Substitute can be used to dodge Sucker Punch and Will-O-Wisp, but Cubone needs as much coverage as it can get in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off**: Due to relying on Thick Club to deal any sufficient damage, Cubone is usually forced out by Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard; the latter cannot switch into Bonemerang, however.

**Faster Pokemon**: Fast Pokemon like Abra can easily outspeed and KO Cubone before it can do anything. This can be mitigated somewhat through the use of Sticky Web, but Carvanha and Torchic can get rid of the Speed drop via Speed Boost.

**Choice Scarf Users**: Even if Sticky Web is up, every Choice Scarf user in the tier will outspeed or Speed tie with Cubone. Cubone can get rid of these Choice Scarves with Knock Off, but it will usually be OHKOed before it can do so.

**Priority**: Thanks to not running Eviolite and having no priority of its own, Cubone is vulnerable to every priority attack in the tier. Carvanha's Aqua Jet and Snover's Ice Shard are the worst offenders because they hit Cubone super effectively, but Life Orb Pawniard also OHKOes Cubone with +2 Sucker Punch.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Staryu, Chinchou,(AC) and Carvanha deal huge damage to Cubone with their super-effective super effective STAB attacks. Corphish is an incredibly big threat to Cubone, since it gets OHKOed by a Life Orb-(RH) and an Adaptability-boosted Life Orb Aqua Jet. (less awkward)
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)