Dancing Dragons (Gen 6 OU)

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DANCING DRAGONS
--an OU Team by TEzeon--

Hello fellow Pokemon players! This is TEzeon, bringing you a Gen 6 OU team that I built not too long ago. I think its pretty interesting to say the least, and I've definitely been having a blast playing it! Anyway, before I start rambling on, lets just get straight to it!

Team at a glance:

Intro:
I was having trouble succeeding in Gen 6 with the old conventional method of attempting to answer all the top threats. It just doesn't really seem to work anymore, since there are too many threats to handle and all of them have insane bulk now thanks to mega evolutions. Instead, I decided it would be best to go for a "kill or be killed" strategy where I attempt to win the game before my opponent does. Gen 6 definitely seems to be a lot more rewarding to the innovative player as opposed to the conventional one. I think building a team and then committing to your own strategy is the best way to do it now, since this way you don't necessarily need to be concerned about what the opponent is doing. There will not be a threat list for this team for that very reason, so sorry to disappoint!

Thought Process:

Well, I started off with the idea that Charizard X and Dragonite together would be difficult to stop. It is already hard enough to stop Charizard X once, so trying to stop Dragonite after that is not an easy feat. Charizard and Dragonite also really dislike Stealth Rock, so I knew that I would have to use a Rapid Spin or Defog tech to keep their staying and switching power high. Latias struck me as the most unique because she also has access to Healing Wish, so the fun just never ends! Next, I considered all the common Stealth Rock users, so that I could apply enough offensive pressure on the opponent that using a turn to set up Stealth Rocks would not seem to be worth it. Keldeo can pressure all of the common Stealth Rockers, and also makes for a fairly good sweeper himself. Even though I have access to Defog to remove hazards, I would still prefer it if my opponent did not set up Stealth Rock at all, so I can save myself a turn and not have to Defog. Aegislash was chosen after Keldeo since Aegislash can punish Psychic types who threaten Keldeo. Aegislash also has the ability to trap Latios and Latias, who might be a problem to my Dragon Dancers if they are unable to set up in time. Finally, I chose Sylveon because the Fairy type gives me a solid core with my Dragon and Steel type Pokemon and also because Sylveon can further support the team with Heal Bell, Wish and Safeguard.

Team in depth:

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Charizard X definitely has my vote as the most difficult Pokemon to deal with in the OU tier. His typing and damage potential make him extremely formidable. Anyway, this set is pretty basic. Just Dragon Dance and attack with the move of choice. I run Dragon Claw instead of Outrage because I don't like being locked in, but otherwise this is pretty much his bread and butter set.

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball

Aegislash is absolutely nuts. Being able to swap forms at will and swap base stats for insane boosts in offense or defense makes Aegislash probably the best Kalos native Pokemon (in OU anyway) and he looks really awesome to boot. I run Brave because I like having strong Pursuits and Shadow Sneaks, and I find that Shadow Ball already does enough to Garchomp/Landorus-T/Excadrill/Gliscor anyway. Sacred Sword is a must have for all the dark Pokemon who switch in to this guy. I'm considering Head Smash or Rock Slide in the last slot too, because I'm running a ton of attack already and I think being able to nail Mandibuzz/Volcarona on the switch could be valuable.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Latias is one of those Pokemon that just always has the ability to compete in OU. The idea with Latias on this team isn't really to sweep or even try to sponge hits, though she can do those things if the opportunity arises. Basically, all she needs to do is Defog and then Healing Wish to Charizard X or Dragonite so that they can do their thing all over again. Trying to deal with those guys over and over again is a real pain. Latias also makes for a great pivot and is one of the faster Defog users, so the odds of removing any hazards are pretty high.

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Safeguard
- Wish

Sylveon is just the cutest Pokemon, so I had to use one! There is a really short supply of good Fairy type Pokemon, but luckily Sylveon has the right tools for the job. Pixilate with Hyper Voice does pretty high damage considering that I'm not investing in Sp.Atk at all. Being able to hit through Substitute is an added bonus. Heal Bell can support the team and make the Thundurus-I priority Thunder Wave seem not as cool. Safeguard is another cool move I've been playing around with. Some Pokemon absolutely need their status moves to deal damage, and Safeguard lets my sweepers take advantage of that for five turns. Wish is another team support option, though I would have really liked to have Healing Wish on Sylveon if it could learn that instead. An alternate option for this spot is Clefable, but I like that Sylveon has much more Sp.Def and deals more damage.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

This is my Charizard X duplicate. Having two sweepers who do basically the same thing is pretty helpful since the opponent will most likely try to stop them with the same thing. This way, one of em can weaken the counter(s) so that the other one can sweep that much easier. I'll admit, this set isn't very original, but it does what I need it to! I considered Weakness Policy, but it just seemed unnecessary in the long run and I like being able to snap out of confusion.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind

Last but not least is Keldeo. It is really hard to wall Keldeo since he can deal physical and special damage and has such a great typing. Calm Mind and Leftovers help buff his staying power, as does the occasional Scald burn. Icy Wind is a cool move that slows down opposing Pokemon, so they cannot set up on Keldeo with speed boosting moves. Keldeo is especially difficult to stop when he is protected by Safeguard.

Outro:
All I really have to say now is thanks a lot for taking the time to read this if you did, and feel free to post any kind of changes or suggestions you have in mind. I'm very receptive to any kind of input, so don't be shy!

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Wow. A team with a Latias in it. Must rate.

Yeah, I can see what you want to do here: Charizard-X and Dragonite try to overwhelm their Checks and Counters. However, there's one thing that both can't kill, and that's Azumarill. First and foremost, I'll let the calcs talk.

I didn't put SR on the enemy field since you don't have it.

252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 147-174 (36.3 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 186-220 (57.4 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock - If rocks ARE up, it's a dead Dnite. Apparently the calculators erred.
252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 144-170 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 163-193 (54.6 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock - A sure KO with a Band

Against everyone else with the team:

0 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 147-174 (36.3 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO - It's in Blade, with no KS. So you know what's dead
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 183-216 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO - OHKO'd back by Play Rough
4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 165-195 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Keldeo can't touch it lol, but if you burn it with Scald...
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 195-231 (60.3 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Yeah, if you don't get a handle on Azu, you're gonna take a number. Apperantly, the best check should be Aegislash. Well, should, since you don't have King's Shield on it. King's Shield is his biggest niche in the meta; not only does it prevent physical attackers from going all out on you, but it also, in practice, gives you more kills. Let's try to use a scenario with Azu: It hits you first at Shield, then you hit. Now, instead of getting pawned at Blade forme, you can KS to get back to Shield and get the Atk drop. In all honesty, I suggest you revise your Aegislash; perhaps use the CRUMBLER. Here's a variant of it:
Aegislash (M) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head
- King's Shield

This Aegislash gives you more kills with a fully invested Shadow Ball followed up by a Shadow Sneak. Obviously, Shadow Ball is the move you should spam here, with the others used only in the proper circumstances. Shadow Sneak is for the follow ups, while the third slot is basically what you want to hit since it's mostly filler anyway. King's Shield is there for those times when you don't want to take a hit; just don't get obvious with it.

Using that type of Latias, you're going for a more Offensive Latias variant. Those types shouldn't really need to stay on the field for long, and as such, I recommend Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is just a bit lackluster in terms of raw power. However with Draco Meteor, you get that killing power which surely pressures the opponent when it comes to switching in. Another thing is Thunderbolt over Psyshock. Thunderbolt gives you another solid check to Azumarill while also checking Manaphy and Mandibuzz.

Also, you need rocks on this team. Stealth Rocks. With this, I suggest you use Landorus-T over Sylveon. Sylveon is killing your momentum. Sure, it wishpasses but when you let the enemy set-up at the wrong time it can mean trouble. Safeguard is also not a requirement.Landog, on the other hand, sets rocks on the enemy field to pressure switches while also not being a sitting duck. I recommend this set:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd - I'm sure this outspeeds Adamant Gyarados.
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Yeah, pretty much standard moves. Earthquake for STAB, U-turn for momentum, and Knock Off cause crippling is good.

Now for the smaller details, get Extremespeed over Fire Punch on Dragonite. The uses of priority are far more useful than the coverage since Zard can usually hit targets like Ferro, Skarm, and others anyway. On another note, get Hydro Pump, or at least Surf, over Scald on Keldeo. Hydro Pump's raw power are too useful to be ignored, while Surf's accuracy can be used if HP's not your cup of tea. Scald is just too weak for a set-up mon like Keldeo, and while the Scald Burn chance is tempting, it is usually not worth it to forgo a kill.

That's all for now. I hope I have been helpful ^_^
ps: your rmt name has a similar name to mine lol

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
But if you do run lando and use him for rocks... defog on latias might be a little counterproductive.
Yes, it might be counter-productive, but constant pressure allows the prevention of enemy rocks. If it comes to it, Landog can just come in and pressure the rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)